What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two egg, cheese and ****** looking mushrooms omelette, tomatoes for breakfast.
Tub of chobani 15% protein greek yoghurt, lemon / lime cordial and scoopful of Osmolax for smoko.
Two chicken legs cut in to four pieces, veggies, gravy for lunch.
Toasted low carb cheese, onion and tomato sandwiches for supper at six.

Get my eyes tested today at the optometrists, they are way overdue for a tune up.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 pumpkin latte with rum sprinkled on top! I can’t get the thought out of my mind now, I bet that’d be wonderful.
@SlimLizzy and @Antje77 sorry to hear that both your cats are unwell. I hope they perk up soon.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Started the day with a very cold yoga class brrr! It's a new one so lots of beginner stuff and not enough movement to keep me warm. Memo to self: next week wear and take more clothes

Brunch of 2 scrambled eggs on 1 slice courgettes bread. Coffee with cream
Mid afternoon about 10 grapes that fell off the vine into my mouth. Working on the traditional keto theory this should be OK, as by next week either the wasps or the frost will have got them all. Definite feast or famine crop as making either grape jelly or wine is off the cards now.

Tea was bolognaise mince on boiled cabbage. Ff greek with 2 chopped brazils and 2 sqs chopped cherry 70% Montezuma.
You are definitely selling that new Montezuma chocolate!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are definitely selling that new Montezuma chocolate!
I had found 1 bar of the Black Forest, hubby had found the Cherry with a truffle filling. Both are too good and are being eaten too fast. Won't be buying again for a while as need to get back to the 14g a bar ones rather than these at 33g. Too easy to overindulge. You have been warned!

Reactions: DJC3

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Oh, hello there!
I somehow lost this thread for 3 days (nothing exciting from a food point of view in those days) and hadn't noticed.

How's Errant doing today?
It doesn't seem to be the best week for cats. I went to the vet with my Poes two days ago because he is coughing and seems to be short of breath. Looks like he has a heart murmur turned into heart failure. They gave him an injection to get rid of fluids, and one of prednisone, and tablets for the fluid for 10 days.
Doesn't seem to help much yet, if anything, the coughing sounds 'wetter'.

Today's meal is worth a picture. :)
I used two leaves of savoy cabbage instead of a bun for burgers (made one large burger into two small ones) with some fried onion, a slice of cheese, some jalapeno, slice of tomato, mayonnaise and hot sauce.

Very tasty, but equally messy. :) :hungry:
I suddenly remembered I didn't do burgers on buns even before diabetes for exactly this reason! :hilarious:
Still, it looked very pretty until I started to eat. :D

243405891_10224352229827693_853654047852754105_n.jpg
Sorry to read that your cat Poes is so sick, i do hope he recovers quickly. Its always upsetting when a pet Is ill. I am sure you will be doing the best you can for him.
Today Errant is eating better, but his voice is still very croaky and quiet. The vet gave him an antibiotic injections and some antibiotic tablets to start tomorrow
Errant also has had a heart murmur, he was coughing a lot during the winter, but he had got very overweight, stopping in and sleeping most of the day. Cant blame him when the weather was miserable. Anyway I cut his food by a tiny amount each week until he had lost a whole kg. Of course he didn't approve of reduced rations and was very vocal about it, but the result has been amazing. He is slimmer, obviously, but is also able to run and jump. Which he could not do before because of his previous injuries.
His heart murmur has actually gone. The vet yesterday told me his heart is fine.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: scrambled eggs made with butter and cream.

2nd meal: Neil managed to get a ham hock yesterday so I'll be boiling that today and making some pea and ham soup with a bit of extra meat. I'll be using frozen peas - I forgot to soak the dried ones and anyway I really like it made with frozen peas.

Neil is trying not to buy too much at a time at the moment because he seems either to have injured his shoulder or be developing some sort of arthritic problem so he doesn't want to carry too much weight meantime.

He was given his 3rd covid vaccination along with a flu jab yesterday. He was offered it early as one of those people with impaired immune systems. Haven't heard anything about the over 70's yet.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Neil also bought a pack of "white fish" yesterday, which turns out to be basa. I'm not too sure about this fish. As an Asian river catfish, it is cheap because it is easy to farm but I'm not sure about the quality of the fish since it is farmed in the Mekong delta and similar rivers, which I believe to be fairly heavily polluted. Should be safe in terms of bacteria if I cook it well enough but not so sure about getting rid of some of the industrial pollutants in these rivers. Does anyone have experience of cooking with basa?

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb I’ve never fancied basa for the very same reasons you mention. I also expect river fish to taste muddy. I do hope it turns out to be tasty.
Today my first meal was a cobb salad at 1pm
I’ve been fancying stew for a few days as the weather has been so horrible so today I made it in the instant pot using lamb neck, leek, swede and aubergine. Of course it’s turned out to be a lovely sunny day, not stew weather at all but I still enjoyed it.
Sort of raspberry ripple ice cream made by mixing cream onto frozen raspberries so they begin to melt and the cream begins to freeze.

I’m out of Montezuma’s. I keep looking at the website then changing my mind as I’m too tight to pay postage. I might treat myself to an Absolute Black advent calendar this year though

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
@Annb . I tried basa fillets once but found them tasteless, grey and somehow wet. The cats didn't mind them though!
Another IF day.
Morning. Black tea, black coffees.
12.30pm. Feta and spinach omelette.
Mid-afternoon. Almond and quinoa scone and tea in cafe with 5000 steps.
6.30pm. Salmon tray bake with small potato, small beetroot, onion and cauliflower. Boiled the potatoes first, cooled and crushed them then roasted them. Strawberries and Greek yoghurt.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 the sprinkling of Cuban rum definitely uplifted the DGF pumpkin latte cakes today lovely !
Ended up with late night yesterday booking an online Christmas food delivery as they were released at midnight and of course site was very busy so took a while!Making me think of Christmas as it did then started me thinking about things I needed to do achieve or sort before Christmas - so poor sleep was result ! I know it’s only October 1st and Christmas is really mainly one day - well it definitely was last year in fact it was just a few hours with close family!
Breakfast one each of slice bacon,tomato,egg and hm lc bread
Lunch one slice of hm lc bread and slice of vintage cheddar followed by a few raspberries from garden and 0% Fage yoghurt
Mid pm finished last bit of my Lindt 90% - two squares
Dinner salmon in lemon butter with cauliflower cheese and glass of dry white wine followed by DGF cake warmed with sprinkle of rum and yoghurt.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a Carb Killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and packet of coconut bites
Dinner: salmon and cream cheese sandwiches made with LC bread with coleslaw followed by SF cherry jelly, cream and LC nutty granola.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Today's meal is worth a picture. :)
I used two leaves of savoy cabbage instead of a bun for burgers (made one large burger into two small ones) with some fried onion, a slice of cheese, some jalapeno, slice of tomato, mayonnaise and hot sauce.

Very tasty, but equally messy. :) :hungry:
I suddenly remembered I didn't do burgers on buns even before diabetes for exactly this reason! :hilarious:
Still, it looked very pretty until I started to eat. :D
Problem solved!
Same ingredients, no mess!

243766238_10224359986421603_808303754775958025_n.jpg

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone have experience of cooking with basa?
We have bought Basa as a cheap fish, it has to be ok quality wise or it would not be allowed to be imported into Australia. It's cheaper to go down to the Burnett river weir where the salt and fresh water meets and catch catfish there though.

We eat a fair bit of fish at times, Nile perch is one of our favourite imported fish at the moment comes from those big lakes in Africa and is reasonably priced.

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Found on the internet. It looks as though Australia is pretty vigilant but perhaps not infallible. I hope the UK is vigilant as well but these days, who knows?

"...the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service tested 100 samples of imported seafood for chemical residues. Each sample was willingly provided by importers and collected from imports at four strategic points of entry in Australia : Sydney, Perth, Melbourne and Brisbane. The report showed that residue of one or more chemicals were detected at quantifiable levels in some of the samples tested, and the highest levels were found in Basa from Vietnam. Peter Collignon, director of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases at the Australian National University Medical School, told ABC Radio that the results were worrying..."

http://australianelectronicgoldprospectingforum.com

You're probably better sticking to the local catfish, @Riva_Roxaban.

I eventually had my pea soup. Took until 8 pm to make it. Tasted fine, but one bowl was too much. I'll cook the basa tomorrow and hope for the best.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two egg and cheese omelette, three bbq sausages, tomatoes for breakfast.
Tub of chobani 15% protein greek yoghurt, usual cordial and Osmoalax mixed in for smoko.
Skipped lunch as my eye test was at midday.
Leftover chicken and veggie curry for dinner.

Eye tests was good, although the body has copped a flogging since the last time I had them tested (18 months ago) my eyes are still pretty good.

The optometrist said every thing was ok, although my left eye might be starting a macula problem, pressure are ten, retinas are good no bleeds, dark spots etc.

I asked if I need new glasses, and she said if wanted to waste my money she would give me the script for them but I do need them. Got them cleaned in there hurdy gurdy machine, I cannot think of the name off hand, new nose supports, sanitised and a cut and polish of the lenses. Just like new again.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You're probably better sticking to the local catfish, @Riva_Roxaban.
I do not go fishing anymore unfortunately, any catfish we caught went into crab pots as bait. A friend across the road brings some reef fish over every now and then when he catches a lot out on the artificial reef in his boat.

I did not see that about the basa being tested and failing.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
01-10
No breakfast, just two cups coffee with cream.
Lunch: 2 cripbreads with mashed avocado. Bought a different version of the crisbreads, thinking to have some variety and deciding 1 extra gramme of carbs would not hurt. However they are crousillant, crunchy is possibly the best translation, either way really hard and unpleasant to eat. Must remember not to buy those again.
Snack: slice of pain kapnor toast with a boiled egg because we were invited to a neighbours house for Ápero, drinks and nibbles, remembering previous occasions when there was an abundance of wine but very little to eat and i got a bit overdone. Hoped the snack would help. It did but only just, food was unsuitable for LC, crisps, tiny toasts spread with boursin and slivers of home made quiche. MrSlim saved my blushes by deciding it was time to go before i embarrassed myself. Unsurprisingly high FBG this morning.
@Antje77 how is Poes getting on, I do hope the medication has helped.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 how is Poes getting on, I do hope the medication has helped.
I don't really see a change, he still has sorry sounding coughing fits a couple of times a day. :(
Looks like it's back to the vet after the weekend. At least I managed to video his coughing, perhaps that's helpful for the vet.

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday
No breakfast
Pub lunch of 2 starters, prawn cocktail and a very nice tomato and onion salad. Wine and soda. . Best of all was having it with cousins I hadn't seen since before covid. Such good company.
Then on to a hotel as we are away for a dance weekend. Not a very good hotel but have been before so know what to expect
Starter of hard boiled egg with mayo, ham salad main and cheese for 'dessert'. A large wine then 3 hours constant dancing.

Woke to a 4.8, first 4 for months so that was a pleasant surprise.

Breakfast 2 fried eggs, 4 bacon 1 tomato. Left the sausage as it was obviously full of fillers.
3 more hours dancing
Snacked on nuts mid afternoon
Dinner will be broccoli and stiton soup, fish and a treat dessert of ice-cream. There will be 1 large wine and 3 more hours dancing

Already looking forward to tomorrow's cooked breakfast, love a breakfast buffet cooked by someone else