What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: coffee shop coconut cappuccino and Carb Killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a phd bar
Dinner: chilli con carne with cauli rice followed by SF jelly and cream.

I use Koko coconut milk (or dairy free alternative drink as manufacturers have to call it!) as a bedtime drink, I love the taste and it has fewer carbs than cow’s milk. It comes in a Tetrapack rather than a tin.

@shelley262 I can’t help singing that song in my head “All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth!” Sorry, too flippant? Seriously I hope your teeth turn out as you wish :D

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Steak and eggs (feeding protein to the polyp), tomatoes for breakfast.
Two low carb energy bars, lemon cordial with osmolax mixed in for smoko
Lamb shoulder chops, green veggies and gravy for lunch.
Toasted ham and cheese low car sandwiches, tub of low sugar pineapple jelly for supper at six.

The rain hammered down here again yesterday, not sure how much we got in our street, but 65 mm fell out at the airport where the official BOM rain gauge is.

The Blue Care nurse was stuck in her car till it eased off a bit so she did not get soaked through.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Skipped lunch.

I use Koko coconut milk (or dairy free alternative drink as manufacturers have to call it!) as a bedtime drink, I love the taste and it has fewer carbs than cow’s milk. It comes in a Tetrapack rather than a tin.

@shelley262 I can’t help singing that song in my head “All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth!” Sorry, too flippant? Seriously I hope your teeth turn out as you wish :D

When DIL came in with my new freezer she actually did say "We wanted to get you 2 front teeth for Christmas, but we couldn't get any..."

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Lunch - after workout beansprouts with minced meat and sliced courgette. Took my reading 2 hours later and it was 5.5 happy with that!
Dinner 6pm - Left over steak with lamb chops, gravy and 1 very tiny potato :angelic: Reading was 6.5 after so not too bad for me.
I am starving now!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Black coffee all morning.
Lunch- cold roast beef with a salad of chopped courgette, celery and spring onions in a mayo/ soured cream/ Dijon mustard dressing.
Dinner- calves liver, bacon, broccoli and mushrooms followed by a slice of Spanish cheesecake https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/oven-baked-low-carb-cheesecake which is delicious. Slightly higher total carb count for this meal than usual but I really didn’t expect a 2hr reading of >11 blimey! that was a bit of a blow. A rise of over 5.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Lunch - after workout beansprouts with minced meat and sliced courgette. Took my reading 2 hours later and it was 5.5 happy with that!
Dinner 6pm - Left over steak with lamb chops, gravy and 1 very tiny potato :angelic: Reading was 6.5 after so not too bad for me.
I am starving now!
Are you limiting your calories as well as your carbs?

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Skipped lunch.

Not too flippant I’ve been singing it for years and nearly sang it to the dental technician!

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s some rise @DJC3 hugs!
And @shelley262 hope the dental stuff works out for you

Morning all. Just one meal yesterday, and a delicious one, even if it doesn’t look very pretty.

Slow roast boneless lamb shoulder. Put some odds and ends that needed using into the roasting dish to form a side - remains of an onion, remains of a courgette and 1 rasher of back bacon.

D46C4144-BB6D-4B94-B2CD-E83FF43F280E.jpeg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have I missed something @maglil55? Is there a reason why you are drinking coconut milk? How does it suit you as opposed to cows' milk? I use tinned coconut milk sometimes in cooking but I can't help feeling that it would be rather rich to drink for my odd tum. Sometimes cows' milk is as well.

Up at 3.30 am and felt very hungry so eventually had some wholemeal toast and butter at about 5am. Went back to bed then and slept until 7.30 when I jumped up thinking I was late putting out the recycling bin. I wasn't late - the bin is still outside (10am) waiting to be emptied.

DIL has taken on a job as a home care worker for the winter and starts today. She trained as a nurse some years ago and feels that, with the staff shortages at present, she should be making her contribution. That means that Em will be coming here every afternoon. Not that that will be any different to the norm. Just means, if I do have any appointments, I'll have to make them in the morning.

2nd meal: will be some more of the cabbage and butter. I rather fancy the idea now that you've reminded me. Tom also enjoyed it with cheese melted through it but melted cheese doesn't appeal these days.
Nothing odd. I just found it in Sainsbury's. Cows milk spikes me but this is low carb and rather addictive!
Screenshot_20211110-201505_Samsung%20Internet.jpg

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
breakfast; eat natural low sugar granola, one slice of hi lo with butter
snack; starbucks mocha (sachet not take out)
lunch: three chicken drumsticks, olives and some port salut, homemade low carb buttery cookie
tea; chicken, homemade gravy, cabbage, sprouts, carrots and broccoli, raspberries and a spoon of baileys double cream.
snack; six montezuma 70% buttons

Fasting again from six o clock til breakfast.....

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sunday bed and FBG both 7.9. I still seem to be on a bit of a see saw with BG levels. Usual Sunday with swimming lesson mid way. Otherwise I had to reprogram the dishwasher settings after Hubby managed to reset everything! Factory settings are no good for us as that's set for hard water. We are very soft water. He's also mucked up the Eco setting which would have had it running for over 4 hours. All fixed again now.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with egg mayo.

L. Nothing

D. Went a bit Masterchef experimental. A bit like the invention round based on what was available in the fish lines yesterday I'd ended up with monkfish, large raw prawns and mussels. Deveined all the prawns and cut the monkfish into large chunks. Prepared some tenderstem broccoli, green beans and samphire (blanched and seasoned) .I made James Martin's sauce for his lobster thermidor (with the addition of some tarragon).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lobsterthermidor_73972

Fried the fish in butter, touch of chilli then added blanched veg (some mushrooms too). Served with courgetti zoodles for me with the fish mix on top and the reduced sauce spooned over. Parmesan on top and a quick blowtorch. Hubby had egg noodles. Worked really well.

Blackberries and a spoonful of thick brandy cream. Usual campari and soda earlier.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Black coffee all morning.
Lunch- cold roast beef with a salad of chopped courgette, celery and spring onions in a mayo/ soured cream/ Dijon mustard dressing.
Dinner- calves liver, bacon, broccoli and mushrooms followed by a slice of Spanish cheesecake https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/oven-baked-low-carb-cheesecake which is delicious. Slightly higher total carb count for this meal than usual but I really didn’t expect a 2hr reading of >11 blimey! that was a bit of a blow. A rise of over 5.
Gee wizz! I've been having days like that and I don't know why. Not great when it happens.

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK , despite telling myself I wouldn't buy more DGF until I cleared some of the many boxes in the freezer, I succumbed and more cookies and a box of the Christmas mincemeat pies arrived today.

I've had one and that mix works as mincemeat. It was something I'd tried to solve a while back but just couldn't get the carbs low enough. Using berries and peel is inspired I think I could improve it with spice and brandy plus it could become "icing topped" with the cream cheese icing I make. More experiments coming up. PS they are very good though.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hia no just carbs, I am not counting calories at all. Just fancied a wee little tinned potato first time in ages
I asked because you said you were hungry. If you're hungry, you might need more food!

Had my aunt over for lunch, so instead of my usual slice of low carb bread, I defrosted a piece of the terrine I made a few weeks back to have with a side salad and some snow peas.
Aunt was very impressed! :happy:

Evening meal will be more of the same I guess.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Nothing odd. I just found it in Sainsbury's. Cows milk spikes me but this is low carb and rather addictive!View attachment 52195

I'll get some onto the next shopping list and see how we go.

Just back from an appointment with the hospital dietician. I mentioned replacing some drinks with coconut milk but she just pulled a face. She's trying to be helpful, I think, but can only suggest keeping up the carbs but reducing the calories.

I reiterated that I am only having 2 meals a day now, which ought to reduce the calories anyway, but no, that's npot good enough; it must be 3 meals, with carbs at regular times through the day but reduced calories.:banghead: She was also not very happy when I told her that so far I have had 3 Cream Crackers (this was 2.15pm but is still the case now at 4pm). Not really hungry yet. But I do have some cabbage prepared for later. I'll steam and then fry it in butter and add some other bits and pieces (bacon, apple, sweet pepper and maybe some tomato). I'm doing this because it was a big cabbage and I have it all shredded, ready to go and I want to use it up. Dietician would not be happy with either the butter or the bacon. Can't be many calories in that meal though.

My new backrest arrived this morning. I notice that it says on the instructions "weight restriction: 17 st." I am 171/2 stone, but I'll give it a try.