What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - Roasted cheese on slc bread. Mug of earl grey.

Dinner - h/m lasagne made l/c by using cheese squares instead of pasta. 2 slices slc bread toasted with garlic butter smothered on top. 1 dgf chrimbo crumble with double cream.

I keep forgetting to try the cheese slices instead of lasagne. So much simpler than making keto pasta sheets, the photos I’ve seen look like it works really well. Which cheese do you use?

Reactions: Mrs T 123

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've done it using gouda from Lidl. Very nice
Love that idea as we gorge on the sliced Aldi Gouda in my house.
I've made the lasagne with all bolognaise instead of white sauce but still used the pasta sheets.

Guess what I'm cooking for dinner tomorrow, wont say a word to the kids, I'll see what empty plates come back.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep forgetting to try the cheese slices instead of lasagne. So much simpler than making keto pasta sheets, the photos I’ve seen look like it works really well. Which cheese do you use?
I just use Galloway Red Cheddar slices for the pasta slices and finish it off on top with mozzarella cheese(nice and gooey) but you could use whatever you like - it was so stodgy & filling tonight - I really enjoyed it - maybe because it was so cold outside too

Edited to add: I also add mushrooms, onions, tomatoes & peppers to my mince mix/lasagne - so it is really quite filling and even when I could eat lasagne at the italian restaurant if we were out I was always disappointed and preferred my own with all the added "extras" but just a personal choice I have

Last edited:

julie hedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Another two meal a day - seem to have shifted to this daily routine currently.
Lunch one each of slice of bacon,egg and a few mushrooms with one hm lc roll followed by a few nuts and three squares of 90% chocolate
Dinner slow cooked game casserole served with roasted celeriac followed by lc warmed blondie served with yoghurt.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just use Galloway Red Cheddar slices for the pasta slices and finish it off on top with mozzarella cheese(nice and gooey) but you could use whatever you like - it was so stodgy & filling tonight - I really enjoyed it - maybe because it was so cold outside too

Edited to add: I also add mushrooms, onions, tomatoes & peppers to my mince mix/lasagne - so it is really quite filling and even when I could eat lasagne at the italian restaurant if we were out I was always disappointed and preferred my own with all the added "extras" but just a personal choice I have

Good to know it’ll work with any sort of cheese, my local supermarket is a small Co op and only has cheddar or Edam in slices.
I always add a ton of veg to my mince too!

Reactions: Annb

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to know it’ll work with any sort of cheese, my local supermarket is a small Co op and only has cheddar or Edam in slices.
I always add a ton of veg to my mince too!

I’ve also seen people say they’ve used mortadella in place of the pasta.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve also seen people say they’ve used mortadella in place of the pasta.

Now that’s interesting! I always buy mortadella if I make a trip to M&S. There should perhaps be a separate thread for lasagne pasta substitutes now.

Reactions: Goonergal

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Em and I have just had smoked salmon for breakfast. Em had some Philadelphia cheese with hers. I had mine on a sandwich (wholemeal bread).

2nd meal will be gammon steak, peas and some potato from the freezer to see if the lack of effect is the same as yesterday.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I add whatever is in the fridge including celery, mushrooms & chorizo ad well as veg, then use aubergines instead of pasta

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very hungry day - unusually for me I was hungry first thing - but very low bgs first thing so no doubt that was why. Ate last food much earlier than usual yesterday so that my fast time was similar to my usual pattern when fast until lunchtime.
Breakfast one slice of bacon,egg and hm lc bread toasted
Lunch a few nuts and vintage cheese followed by yoghurt and three squares of 90% chocolate
Dinner chicken curry with cauliflower rice and Corriander followed by lc blondie and cream. Edit forgot to list my two gin and soda waters !

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There should perhaps be a separate thread for lasagne pasta substitutes now.
I have only eaten a decent lasagne meal once and that was cooked by a Italian lady I knew, her bechamel sauce was the best I ever tasted.

All of the ready to eat lasagne sauce is terrible.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That looks SO good! Can’t believe you were recognised in those two places, you must make a very good impression.

That wasn't all she had,........................ trust me. (A little birdy told me. :) :angelic::angelic::angelic:)

Reactions: DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Early yoga so back about 11. Had got really cold so ate:
Some leftover frittata, a bowl of homemade veg soup with sour cream, some cheese, and I think there's more but can't remember what.

Early afternoon 2 liebkuchen gingerbread hearts, proper ones 22g carbs in total. Moderate rise only on libre so that was good. But really needed will power to stop at 2. I'm not very good at willpower so probably better not to start in first place.

6 p.m. homemade chilli
Was supposed to be out dancing but it was cancelled last minute so compensated with coffe cake (lc) and brandy cream and 2 glasses white wine.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Three slices of middle bacon, two egg and cheese omelette, tomatoes for breakfast.
Nothing for smoko as not hungry.
Rib fillet steak with just a bit of pink in the middle, green veggies, gravy for lunch.
Cheese and salad wraps, tub of low sugar lemon jelly, two spoons of passion fruit sorbet for supper at six.