What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal how are you doing with the the chocabstinence? I can’t believe I haven’t even lasted a week

All good so far. None in the flat and no sneaky trips to the shop! Test will come when I’m in Brum in February - dratted Hotel Chocolat shop next to the station! @Tori71 the 85% hot chocolate is very good in store, especially with their whipped chocolate cream added! I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

Getting back on topic. A porky day today. Slow roast pork belly for lunch - didn’t get through everything on the plate, so some left for another day.

Dinner was air fried pork belly pieces - needed something quick as I’d got involved in something and time had flown.

51863005-EE2D-4F39-BFE6-11D3B6E4704B.jpeg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: 3 rashers streaky bacon, 2 fried eggs and one slice wholemeal toast - about 11 -12 net carbs.

2nd meal: Brussels sprouts in butter and Marmite. That was a trial but I don't think the Marmite added anything - I'd prefer them just with lemon juice.

Not up to the right level of fluids today - about 5 or 6 cups of tea is all. Must get some more in before bed time.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Reheated the cabbage carbonara, and learned you shouldn't reheat something with half set eggs in the microwave, the egg will turn into scrambled eggs.
Still tasted very nice, so who cares! :)

Also made a new batch of marmite nuts and didn't burn them this time, very happy about that!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a PE salted caramel bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a PE cookies and cream bar
Dinner out celebrating hubby’s birthday (early, it’s tomorrow!) at Cote Brasserie: ox cheeks cooked with bacon, mini onions and mushrooms with a side of green beans followed by berries and cream.

755866B1-0030-4F87-9DF6-B515137145FC.jpeg

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two slices of middle bacon, twp egg and cheese omelette, small tin of baked again for breakfast.
Nothing for smoko, just the lemon cordial and osmolax brew.
Pork chops and green veggies, gravy for lunch.
Cheese and salad in a low carb Simson wrap for supper at six.

Simson have a variety of wraps some low carb, some higher than the one's I got yesterday, here's the link to their page plus recipes.

https://www.simsonspantry.com.au/our-range

https://www.simsonspantry.com.au/recipes

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There seem to be more endive varieties than I ever heard of - that one looks like a cross between an escarole and a frisee. Frisee is one I forgot about earlier.
They are just called endives hear, the farmers might have individual names for them though.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
They are just called endives hear, the farmers might have individual names for them though.
I now have an image of an old farmer in my head.
He lovingly addresses every head of endive while he waters them: "Here, have a drink George, would you like a refreshment Suzanne, can I pour you another one Annette, don't push Elisa and just drink up, Jim ... "
There seem to be more endive varieties than I ever heard of - that one looks like a cross between an escarole and a frisee. Frisee is one I forgot about earlier.
I still can't wrap my head around those two things having the same name in English!

upload_2022-1-8_23-31-6.jpeg
upload_2022-1-8_23-31-19.jpeg

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I now have an image of an old farmer in my head.
He lovingly addresses every head of endive while he waters them: "Here, have a drink George, would you like a refreshment Suzanne, can I pour you another one Annette, don't push Elisa and just drink up, Jim ... "

I still can't wrap my head around those two things having the same name in English!

View attachment 52803View attachment 52804
That thought about names went through my head as well.

The white bulby one is what I call chicory, the green frilly one is a endive.

They used to make a coffee type drink out of chicory, got a ship load of carbs in it though.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/33839/bushells-coffee-essence-sweet-chicory

Amazon Au have the chicory powder.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Bonvit-Instant-Chicory-100-grams/dp/B07FX1JB3N

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The first instant coffee we could get hold of - in about 1950 - was called Chico and was a blend of (expensive) coffee and (relatively cheap) chicory. It was horrible and put me off coffee for years. My dad too, hated it. He had been given it in the army and he always called it Ertzatz coffee and refused to drink it. I think he was mixing it up with dandelion coffee, which tasted equally awful but was much more freely available - you just had to go to the garden and pull up some dandelion roots and roast them to grind for coffee. Yuk! No wonder we were all tea drinkers.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I may not be one for processed foods, but I did think of you guys when I saw this photo of the M&S crackers, complete with a new variety, on a Facebook page!

View attachment 52801
The ‘Eat well’ tab on the package has negative connotations for me. ;):hilarious:
Seriously, though, what is the carb content of one of those. I can’t find any near me.
Breakfast: 3 rashers streaky bacon, 2 fried eggs and one slice wholemeal toast - about 11 -12 net carbs.

2nd meal: Brussels sprouts in butter and Marmite. That was a trial but I don't think the Marmite added anything - I'd prefer them just with lemon juice.

Not up to the right level of fluids today - about 5 or 6 cups of tea is all. Must get some more in before bed time.

The bacon and Marmite would make me needto drink more. Shame you didn’t enjoy the sprouts, @Annb . Firat time I tried them I hadn’t drained them well enough, but next time, (and since) I have, and they have had a nice crunch to the marmite coating.

Late reporting today.
Brunch:, mixed berries Fage Greek yogurt full fat, black coffee
Afternoon: peanut butter, celery sticks, black coffee
Dinner: creamy chicken coconut curry, apple, low sugar tonic water
Late snack: glass of coconut milk, 3 brazil nuts

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The ‘Eat well’ tab on the package has negative connotations for me. ;):hilarious:
Seriously, though, what is the carb content of one of those. I can’t find any near me.
There's a whole thread on them
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/seed-crackers-m-s.184183/
They are very low carb, under 1 for 4 of them I think. I've been trying to recreate them at home and very nearly there. They are literally only seeds, psyllium husk and water, baked. Hardly processed at all. I just keep cooking them slightly too much so playing around with oven temperatures and timings.
On that thread there are a couple of other recipes to make crackers at home.
So nice to havea bit of crunch occasionally :)

Reactions: Pipp

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Ha! Know what you mean. Found a pic of the back of the box. And a Google for M&S super seed crackers returns th thread @MrsA2 linked to!!

CB635A86-A8A1-45AA-81E6-D0339764AAD4.jpeg

Reactions: Pipp

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
chocabstinence
I have not even considered such a drastic step. However I have just bought lots of Montezuma 100% cocoa drops and they are helping me keep my intake under control. My notional limit is 10g, but when I have to break up a bar, inevitably the portions are uneven and I give way to the temptation to eat "just a bit more". 10 drops = 10g and no fudging. My other treat is 10g = 10 small almonds, but I have resolved to eat either almonds or chocolate drops, but not both at the same meal. Success is not sure.

Reactions: DJC3

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
I used to make my own but going through a lazy period! At the moment I'm eating Berry and Almond from the Paleo Foods Co with a little almond milk but probably good with greek yoghurt. It's 5.9g carbs per 40g bowl. It's very seedy obviously, and I get it from ocado. As with all low carb non home made stuff its expensive, I've seen it in Sainsbury's but not sure who else stocks it. They do other varieties but not checked out the carbs on those yet.

https://www.paleofoodscompany.com/shop/2q4eh1ecf5mbj61xfu7lx6sjado9zs
Hi thanks I will buy some next time I go out sorry took to long to get back to you my partner and 4 kids all have covid I’m poorly to but mines negative I will deffo give them a try once I’m better thanks

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
breakfast; lc granola, hi lo toast with butter
lunch; steak, peas, vine tomatoes, mushrooms, creamy pepper sauce, a gin and no carb tonic, 3 batons hotel chocolat 85% (I am not buying these again they are too moreish !
dinner; raspberries and cream
snack; mocha and a small handfull of salted popcorn

@Jayne1983 oh no you poor thing, you must be shattered. No rush to reply on this thread, we're very easy going!
Hi thanks I will buy some next time I go out sorry took to long to get back to you my partner and 4 kids all have covid I’m poorly to but mines negative I will deffo give them a try once I’m better thanks

Reactions: Annb and Jayne1983