What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used the search bar to search for celeriac dauphinoise and ticked the box for 'search this thread only', and you'll likely to get recipes from @maglil55 , @ianpspurs , @Annb and @DJC3 ! :)

Good to see you again!
Ah, memories. I don't think I've eaten that for more than 2 years as I nowadays avoid cooked food as much as possible. That was one of the very few LC/Keto swaps that didn't prove to be a big disappointment so enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Antje77

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Tori71 not a recipe as such but I would slice enough celeriac for number of people serving and par boil them. I’d then butter a casserole dish and layer the par boiled drained slices then pour over some double cream and season with salt and pepper - dot top with more butter and or cheese cover with foil and oven cook at 180 fan for about 30 mins check then if soft take off foil and put back to brown a bit to personal preference.- sorry not precise but that’s how I’d do it! If you cook too much quantity wise it can be reheated.
Out first thing in a hurry again so no breakfast
Lunch some hm ferments - sauerkraut and kimchi - with a few lc seeded crackers with hm pate followed by hm yoghurts with a few berries and three squares of 100 percent choc
Mid pm an unplanned frozen lc cookie- it was a stress grab but it was lovely
Dinner frittata with more fermented veg same as lunch plus peppers and artichoke hearts followed by lc blondie with hm yoghurt.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Tori71 not a recipe as such but I would slice enough celeriac for number of people serving and par boil them. I’d then butter a casserole dish and layer the par boiled drained slices then pour over some double cream and season with salt and pepper - dot top with more butter and or cheese cover with foil and oven cook at 180 fan for about 30 mins check then if soft take off foil and put back to brown a bit to personal preference.- sorry not precise but that’s how I’d do it! If you cook too much quantity wise it can be reheated.
Brill, thanks @shelley262 . I'm not one for following recipes myself so this is ideal - I like to customise things! I think I'll use some Jarlsberg or Gruyere for the topping. I'll let you know how it goes!

Reactions: Annb

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a Food Dr protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: a coffee shop coconut cappuccino and a Carb Killa bar.
Dinner: pepper and chilli ribs with roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly and cream.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No picture today, made the mistake of using my dark brown plate and also had a lot of it end up on the edges of the plate while walking the stairs with it.
Should look better tomorrow, with added tomato paste and on a different colour plate! :hilarious:
Yes, looks much better today, tasted just as good!

277582842_10225338989256062_2029153897118475179_n.jpg

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two slices middle bacon, two eggs and cheese omelette, tomatoes, two slices of toast and vegimite for breakfast.
No smoko.
Rolled belly pork roast, nixed veggies, with a couple of Spud Lites, gravy, low sugar lemon jelly for lunch.
Three homemade fish cakes for supper at sic.

When I made the jellies up the other day, some of them I put two scoops of osmolax in to the 500 ml one packet mix, tastes ok, so I might keep doing this so I can keeps my fluids intake under control in the cooler months.

Had another early night ABC Jazz and one single malt whisky in bed.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a long time since I made celeriac dauphinoise. I seem to remember putting sliced onion in with the celeriac and otherwise making it much like Shelley. I don't think I was particularly keen on it but I'm not over-fond of turnippy kinds of veg. Must try it again - I wasn't keen on cauliflower either until recently.

Didn't have anything else to eat today. Actually spent the afternoon feeling pretty awful and laying back in the recliner chair, covered with a blanket and feeling very cold (the bits outside the blanket - fingers felt cold enough to have frostbite. They weren't of course, they just felt that way to me. Feeling slightly better now but I shan't be staying up very late tonight.

Reactions: maglil55

RosemaryJackson

Morning all. Bit of a miserable morning here! No bf. Roast chicken plus veg for lunch. Haven't worked out tonight's meal yet. Had my 4th booster jab yesterda and my arm is on fire. The others didn't affect me like this. What with a stiff neck (for a week), sore arm, useless hand, I need putting in a bag and given a good shaking up!!:playful: Get well soon @Annb

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all. Bit of a miserable morning here! No bf. Roast chicken plus veg for lunch. Haven't worked out tonight's meal yet. Had my 4th booster jab yesterda and my arm is on fire. The others didn't affect me like this. What with a stiff neck (for a week), sore arm, useless hand, I need putting in a bag and given a good shaking up!!:playful: Get well soon @Annb

I'm a bit better today, thanks. I have to have my 4th jab on Thursday, so I hope I'm back to normal by then. I think it is just a mixture of tiredness and stress - not that I usually do stress - not my thing on the whole but when it comes to my brother ...well, that's a different matter.

Just had the veggie biryani that I had in the fridge with a hard boiled egg chopped up on top of it. Perhaps that will do me for the day, although I think I've possibly been under-doing the food the last few days so maybe I should try to eat a bit more today. If I do, it will be baked white fish and some green beans.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday bed 7.2 FBG 7.1. Just one to take to school. It has now been confirmed that youngest's class will not be in all week as they cannot find another teacher to cover illness. They are very short staffed but whatever happened to supply teachers? @Annb - our school holidays don't start until this Friday (8th). They return 25 April

B. TAG and 3 M&S Wheaten crackers with whipped cheese.

L. 2 chicken drumsticks and the last lamb kofta.

D. Roast chicken with GF sage and onion stuffing and cheesy cauliflower mash. 1 M&S plum

1 pack of M&S pancetta crisps. The serrano ham crisps are much more crispy but the pancetta is soo tasty!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Back after a few days absence from the site!

Does anyone have a recipe for celeriac dauphinoise please? I'm sure I made one a few years ago, but can't find the recipe anywhere??!
I get Hubby to cut it into thin slices ( about the size you'd use if you were making potato fritters). All you need after that is grated cheese (I prefer gruyere), salt and pepper to grind, and double cream.

Using a suitable sized ovenproof dish, start with a layer of celeriac slices, top with grated gruyere, grind salt and Pepper on top then a zig zag drizzle of double cream And repeat! Build up the layers ending with the cheese/salt/pepper/cream layer.
Into a 200C fan oven until it is bubbling and golden. Usually about 20 mins but can vary depending on the oven

The trick is getting the cheese / cream balance right. Too much cheese and not enough cream can give you an oily topping. Still delicious but better without.

Reactions: valuator

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not stopping - learned my lesson - but @Tori71 have you scratched the Dauphinoise itch yet? This isn't what we used before but double cream (cheese? long spoon for supping with Satan?) and pfaffing around with a mandolin are 2 reasons it disappeared from menus. Nutmeg, anchovies and single cream may make it almost Ian friendly. Quite quick for any of you who work or the Food Fairy on our child care days. Feel free to ignore.

Reactions: Tori71 and maglil55

valuator

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
(April 4th)

Breakfast (9am): Black coffee
Snack (10:30am): Black coffee
Lunch (12pm): 0% greek yogurt with keto granola, Babybel cheese, hardboiled eggs
Snack (3pm): None
Dinner (6pm): Omelette with 3 eggs, ham, cheese, onions, and mushrooms
Evening Snack (10pm): Peanuts and two low carb beers

Walked 10.92km to bring my YTD total to 436.0km.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All like the sound of the celeriac dauphinoise though the cream would be an issue. I very much like mashed swede and mashed celeriac but cutting them up is almost impossible. After fighting with the last swede for 15 mins it ended up in the bin! Waitrose do frozen celeriac “pellets” but I wish the supermarkets sold chunks of both veg like they do with butternut squash. Yesterday I had lunch out with friends and had chicken in a creamy mushroom sauce with salad. Coffe after though I think they gave me cappuccino which would be too carbs probs instead of flat white. It didnt seem worth making a fuss at the time. In the evening I had 8 mini mestballs in chilli sauce and some green beans. This mornings FBG was the worst ever so either I ate too much yesterday or there were more carbs than I realised
Today usual brekkie HiLo toast and lots of tea. Worked in the garden in morning helping Mr PM seed a large area behind the heathers. Lunch was small plate ham salad with a few pickled onions. Supper will be chicken & pepper stir fry in Teriyaki sauce and green beans.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Busy day only briefly home so ended up with an accidental fat fast until dinner. My hm yoghurts are made with organic full fat milk so high fat.
Mid am a few spoons of hm yoghurts
Mid pm a few spoons of hm yoghurts
Dinner venison meatballs in hm passata and small glass of dry red wine followed by lc blondie and spoon of hm yoghurt.
Collecting our youngest sons miniature poodle for a 10 day sleepover at ours from tomorrow, whilst they go on holiday - fingers crossed as they are flying from Manchester! - so will be a lot more walking happening over next few weeks.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@PenguinMum if cream is an issue there are 2 other recipes I use.

Boulangere Celeriac

Thinly sliced Celeriac again
Whole large onion thinly sliced and fried slowly in butter with garlic to taste. You do not want to colour it.
Oven proof dish and start with a layer of Celeriac slices. Add some of the soft onion mix then salt and pepper (not too much)
Sprinkle over some fresh thyme leaves.
Repeat as often as necessary.
Top layer is Celeriac slices.
Pour in some vegetable stock. I can't say how much as it depends how much Celeriac is in there. You want enough for the Celeriac to absorb all the stock (you can always add more stock)
Once the stock is in, grind more salt and pepper and add a few little bits of butter on top.

Into oven for about 1 hr Fan 160C

Lyonnaise Celeriac

This is similar to above but only needs about 30 mins in the oven (a bit hotter at 200C

Thinly sliced Celeriac and a large Thinly sliced onion again.

Once again soften the onion with crushed garlic to taste but in olive oil this time. You want to caramelise the onion this time to a nice golden brown.

Get some melted butter in a dish since, as you layer, you are going to coat the Celeriac slices in butter.

First layer buttered Celeriac (very messy hands with this)
Grind some salt and pepper on top then add a good amount of the onion mix

Guess what? Repeat and build up the layers about 3 layers.

Final one is buttered Celeriac and a grind of salt and pepper.

Into oven at 200C.

Check it after about 12 mins (I use the point of a knife). You want the Celeriac soft but with brown and crispy bits (especially the top).

You can Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley before serving.