What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello All
@MrsA2 happy hols sounds very interesting. @shelley262 hope your week away goes well. @DJC3 I think I am in danger of slippage creeping in, not been a good week so thanks for the inadvertent reminder.
Yesterday felt back to normal so had slice of LivLife toast after finding one in Waitrose. Its not as satisfying as HiLo but is lower carb. Lunch was a piece of crustless quiche with side salad. Supper was chunky fish fingers with green veg.
Same brekkie today. Lunch was also a repeat. Then had cup of tea and 4 small squares dark chocolate which Inshould not have given in to. Went to fishmonger this morning so supper will be baked cod loin with a dash of Teriyaki sauce and panfried scallops and more green veg left over from yesterday. Treated myself to a dressed crab for lunch tomo. Mr PM always has smoked salmon with crusty bread for lunch on Sats but I am not a big fan of smoked salmon on a plate, ok in canapes, I think its the texture. Feel the same about avocados!.

valuator

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
(April 21st)

Breakfast (9am): Black coffee
Snack (10:30am): None
Lunch (12pm): Gilled pork rib chops with sauteed mushrooms and onions
Snack (4pm): 0% Greek yogurt with keto granola and blueberries
Dinner (6:30pm): Family birthday dinner at restaurant, had a burger with bun and side Caesar salad
Evening Snack (10pm): Two low carb beers

Walked 6.44km to bring my YTD total to 525.23km

RosemaryJackson

Hi everyone. Well, I had my almost carb free day yesterday and my one indulgence was a handful of blueberries. Result? a 6.6 fbg this morning! Just proves to me I'm eating too many carbs or I'm miscounting. We shall see. Today, I had a small piece of cheese and 2 cherry tomatoes for bf. Midday I had left over roast turkey drumstick with green veg and a drop of minted gravy. Had handful of blueberries and cream for snack later. Tonight it will be boiled eggs, slice of Spam with 1 Ryvita buttered and mayo. That has totalled less than 30g carbs so let's see what happens to tomorrow's fbg!!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Aldi protein bar.
Dinner: LC sausage roll with coleslaw and three baby tomatoes followed by SF blackcurrant jelly and cream.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: yoghurt with seeds, omelette with ham and cheese. Mushrooms on the side.
L: salad with cheese and olives
Mid afternoon about 1/5 hubbys ice cream cone and a mint tea made with fresh mint leaves
D' 1 slice beef with dressing. I cup bouillon soup. Small piece if fish with veg and perhaps 2 tablespoons the rice it came on. Cheeses. Red wine (bit too much).
1 sq 85% choc I'd brought with me in case I hot tempted by desserts. Have 1 bar to last me over a week (forgot to mention it previously)

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two slices middle bacon, two egg cheese omelette, small tin of baked beans, last of the old mushrooms for breakfast.
About six locally grown white grapes, lemon cordial / osmolax mix for smoko.
Grilled sweetlip fillets, mixed salad of lettuce, green and red capsicum, sliced tomatoes, hard boiled eggs, radishes, red onion etc. for lunch
Leftover piece of cold fish and salad sandwich for supper at six.

Pepper crackers with blue cheese, couple of grapes watching Prime, a glass of single malt and then off to bed to listen to ABC Jazz Friday nights edition.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thursday bed 6.4 FBG 6.1

@MommaE - My mind can't cope with leaving it having come from a family that ironed absolutely everything (and I mean everything - socks, underwear etc). Having caught up on all the stuff since I was ill again, I'm now onto a sort of Charity, Recycling, Keep.

B. Just TAG. I didn't feel like eating.

L. The last M&S Wheaten cracker with 3 of tge crispy cheese crackers. The last of the M&S prawn cocktail.

D. The breakfast I didn't have this morning. 3 GF chipolatas, 2 slices streaky bacon, 1 slice GF Black pudding, santini tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms and a fried egg.

My Hotel Chocolat stash arrived early. Hubby came with me to collect it and found a dark fix box of chocolates which he bought for me (50% off so £11.75) I had 1 Almond praline from it which I savoured! (Hubby got the rum one). I now have a 100% fruit and Almond egg, 100% batons, dark pralines and a box of dark fix chocolates!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday 22 April - bed 6.9 FBG 6.2. I have been struggling to remember today is Friday not Saturday. Eldest grandson has an evening birthday party (a trampoline/disco type party at Jump In - one of these trampoline places that looks a bit like an assault course). This is a big deal in getting past his anxiety plus he's never dealt well with noise.

B. TAG and 3 M&S crispy cheese crackers with mini German sausage and egg mayo.

L. Nothing - still on the Charity, Recycle, Keep - this will take a while.

D. A repeat of yesterday. 1 slice GF Black pudding, 2 slices of streaky bacon, 4 GF chipolatas, fried egg, santini tomatoes and spinach. 1 chocolate from the HC box - gin this time.

Glad to say having initially wanted to leave the party 30 mins before the end, he decided he really wanted to stay and was there until the very end. A good time was had by all.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: 2 fried eggs on wholemeal toast.

2nd meal: the rest of the cauliflower paella from yesterday some time later today.

I know I shouldn't but I have made an experimental suet crust bacon roll. I have been trying to make this, my Grannie's signature dish, for years, but gave up a while before going low carb. But I was thinking back on a conversation I had with my brother a few weeks ago and we both remembered with relish the mouth-watering dish she used to serve us, especially the semi-hard crust produced by putting it in the oven to dry. We also both remembered that she boiled cabbage for ages and turned it into an horrid, smelly mush. I'm not going to try to make that! But the pudding is boiling on the hob at the moment. If it works, I will have one slice of it tomorrow and send the rest down to Em's family. If it doesn't work, I'll still send it down to their house, for the dogs. I'm told that Ginnie (the St Bernard)'s stomach is swinging from side to side as she walks - pups can't be too far off now.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77, I was searching through an old recipe file and I came across this chicken liver recipe that you might want to try, if you get hold of any other chicken livers. It was one that I put together years ago with my mother - that shows how old it is; she died in 1985 but chicken livers were one of her favourite foods.

CHICKEN LIVER RECIPE

• Take equal quantities of chicken liver and white onion, 2 or 3 eggs hard boiled, 4 to 6 spring onions, seasoning to taste.
  • Grill the liver for about 4 or 5 minutes (hot grill or barbecue) so that it is still pink in the middle but not still bleeding.
  • Chop the onion(s) finely and fry in chicken, duck or goose fat until soft but not browned.
  • Chop the liver into very small pieces (not quite minced but pretty fine).
  • Add the cooked onion and mix well.
  • Add chopped hard boiled eggs and mix again.
  • Season to taste with salt, pepper and paprika (or chilli, if preferred and feeling adventurous).
  • Chop spring onions finely and add to the liver mixture.
  • Mix all well together and serve at room temperature with salad and/or bread.

Keeps for a short time in the fridge but best made in small amounts so that it does have to be kept for more than a couple of days.

You will note that it doesn't have a proper name - just "Chicken liver recipe". I still can't get chicken livers and, somehow, I don't think it will work the same with lamb's liver. I might try it, though.

Reactions: maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77, I was searching through an old recipe file and I came across this chicken liver recipe that you might want to try, if you get hold of any other chicken livers. It was one that I put together years ago with my mother - that shows how old it is; she died in 1985 but chicken livers were one of her favourite foods.
Sounds very good!
So I copied that to my Copy Me That, and so your mum will forever be remembered for her chicken liver recipe. :)

Just help me out with the apostrophes, did I guess right or is the second one wrong?

upload_2022-4-23_17-30-58.png

Today should be day 4 of my very tasty cauliflower dish. But I have a feeling that 3 days was enough, in which case the cauliflower will go to the dogs and cats (who go absolutely crazy for it) and I'll eat something else.
Real cooking planned for tomorrow. :)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds very good!
So I copied that to my Copy Me That, and so your mum will forever be remembered for her chicken liver recipe. :)

Just help me out with the apostrophes, did I guess right or is the second one wrong?

View attachment 54301

Today should be day 4 of my very tasty cauliflower dish. But I have a feeling that 3 days was enough, in which case the cauliflower will go to the dogs and cats (who go absolutely crazy for it) and I'll eat something else.

It's absolutely right, Antje. That's great. She would love to think her recipe was being shared around.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and an Aldi protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Dinner: LC pork pie with coleslaw, leafy salad and two baby tomatoes followed by DGF brownie with cream.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Told myself to grow up, stop acting like a spoilt child, and just finish my plate (bar a bite for the dogs and cats of course).

Even though 4 days of the same food is a tad boring, there's nothing wrong with it, especially when it's good food in the first place. So I shut up and ate my cauliflower, and enjoyed it too! :)
Not a very pretty meal to look at but that's to be expected with any reheated oven dish containing purée and minced meat, they simply taste better than they look. :D

278922265_10225425374015627_9042159386005506210_n.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my slice of bacon roll. Wasn't as good as my grandmother's but it was OK. I daresay Alistair will be able to do something with it - probably be better with gravy. My grandmother was a cook in a fancy home in London (St James' Mews or somesuch place) in the early 20th century and was in many ways an excellent cook but she wouldn't teach my mother to cook so she had to learn it all from scratch - not so easy during rationing after WW2 but we kind of learned together over the years. However, neither of us ever managed the bacon roll which Gran used to call "China Pudding".

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Wholegrain Wheat Crackerbread as its only got 3.5 grams of carbs per slice, holds up well with stuff on, my favorite being peanut butter :)

If the ones you are talking about are the RyVita ones - I tried them and they are very tasty. Unfortunately they have an ingredient I can't take. Can't right now remember what it is - there are plenty of things I can't take. But if they suit you, they are very good. I bought them in our local Co-op.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: plain yoghurt with seeds, smoked salmon, cheese omelette. 1 small mini muffin
L: 2 tablespoons chopped greek salad, the filling fom a small sandwich
Mid afternoon: 2 small cakes and ginger tea
Where we are staying has stopped offering buffet meals and serves you instead. Am finding the quantity too small for me
D: smoked salmon, sweet potato soup, sorbet in prosecco, duck (large piece), cheese.
Portion size was better
1 brandy
Libre sowed unexpected rise at breakfast, expected rise after cakes and pleasantly level dinner.
Going to sleep on a 4.8