What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sausages, two egg and cheese omelette, small tin of baked beans, two slices of toast and vegimite for breakfast.
Handful of white grapes, lemon cordial / osmolax brew for smoko.
Cheese and onion sandwich for lunch.
Beef and veggies autumnal stew done in the soon to be retired slow cooker for dinner at six.

Glass of single malt whisky while listening to streaming jazz in bed.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday tried to dial back on amount of food consumed. Brekkie was slice of LivLife toast, lots of tea. Lunch was a dressed crab with saffron mayo, a real treat. Cup of tea aftee.
Supper was a Barnsley chop panfried with a chopped Portobello mushroom and a few broccoli florets.
Today same brekkie. Lunch will be eggs probably 3 scrambled.
Supper will be stirfried beef with ginger & chilli, strips of red & green pepper and leftover broccoli from last night.

iwilltouchyourcat

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today I was doing IF until 11 and I have just had

Keto bread (vegan - choice, gluten free- coeliac)
Beyond meat burger
Slice of vegan Gouda
Lettuce
Spoonful of vegan coleslaw
Carbs 15.4, cals 529

Snack- pack of vegan quorn ham with vegan primula spread
Carbs 1g, cals 191

Tonight is roasted cauliflower steaks with edamame beans and Brussel sprouts and a bit of roasted red onion
Carbs 20.9, cals 459

I try and stay beneath 40g carbs a day

RosemaryJackson

Hi everyone. Late again! Starting with bf. I sausage left over from yesterday plus tablespoon tomato ketchup. Midday; airfried chicken stuffed with soft cheese (wish I'd put butter and garlic in instead) plus cauliflower cheese and green veg with 50ml gravy. Evening meal was left over veg fried in butter with blueberries and cream for afters. 2 cups coffee with cream and 1 snack was 4 small squares 70% chocolate. That should come to less than 30g of carbs. Hopefully! Hope you've all had a lovely weekend.

Reactions: Annb

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Cooked a very yummy vegetarian meal of onion, vegetarian shawarma, lots of mushrooms, garlic, some bell pepper, and a generous amount of cream, to be served on green beans this afternoon. It only needed to be reheated and the beans cooked.

But just when I had put the beans to cook I received a long and complicated phonecall from a friend who'll have a difficult talk with her boss tomorrow, so I turned off the gas.

It being 10:15 PM now, I guess I'll do with a portion of Greek yoghurt, some nuts, some pork scratchings with aioli, and a couple of chocolaty nut things instead, and I'll move my meal to the fridge.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and an Aldi protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a carb killa bar
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: yoghurt with seeds. Ham omelette withe a side of mushrooms
L: asparagus salad, fish with veg, mint mousse. White wine
D: small antipasti, cream cheese soup ( was thick and tasty and no I don't't know the recipe) lamb with ratatouille, cheese, red wine, 1 brandy.
Bg has been fine all day. Alcohol is definitely lowering it of an evening

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon and a two egg and cheese omelette, two slices of toast with vegimite for breakfast.
Beef and bacon pie, lemon cordial with a scoop of osmolax for smoko.
Nothing for lunch.
Leftover beef stew from the day before, tasted better as well for supper at six.

Two ANZAC biscuits watching Goliath on Prime.

It's ANZAC Day here in Australia today (Monday).

Lets we forget...

y63C379.gif

Reactions: Annb

iwilltouchyourcat

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday I had the same lunch as the day before because it was so nice.
Vegan keto bread, beyond meat burger. Vegan Gouda slice and lettuce

Tea was roasted cauliflower steaks with Brussel sprouts and edamame beans.

Snack was some quorn slices and vegan primula cheese.

My blood sugar started out at 6 which is a morning record low for me but went up to 10 by lunchtime and stayed there until the evening. Total carbs was 35g, total cals 1250.

Reactions: Annb and Antje77

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yesterday, for the first time ever, I used some dried marrowfat peas to make mushy peas. Just as an experiment, you understand. Didn't stick to the recipe, of course but added some veg stock and a few vegetables, including some lettuce which needed to be used before it went too soft and some lemon bits and pieces from the lemon I used for a salad the other day. I cooked it beyond mushy to paste-like so that it reminded me of the peas pudding we used to get for school dinner in the 50's (strangely, I was the only one who enjoyed that). Anyway, I used a tablespoon of it as a spread on a slice of wholemeal toast for my breakfast. I really enjoyed it but have no idea how many carbs it would represent as a meal and it didn't stave off the pangs of hunger for long, so I just had a tin of sardines in olive oil to try to plug the gap. BG didn't go up anyway and stayed around the 6 mark.

I will need a further meal and am in the process of making some cauliflower and broccoli rice which I will make into some kind of egg fried "rice" dish.

Neil couldn't get fresh mint for me the other day when I needed it but came home from the shops today with some - smells lovely. I'll have to find a way to use it before it goes off.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch of home-made mushroom soup with chicken stock, leeks, salad leaves, slice of lemon, olive oil, loads of garlic, sprinkle of turmeric and cayenne. Evening meal will be herb omelette and salad.

Annb, do you have room on a window-sill to grow mint in a pot? It's pretty sturdy stuff, and you'd have fresh leaves whenever you wanted some.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Brunch of home-made mushroom soup with chicken stock, leeks, salad leaves, slice of lemon, olive oil, loads of garlic, sprinkle of turmeric and cayenne. Evening meal will be herb omelette and salad.

Annb, do you have room on a window-sill to grow mint in a pot? It's pretty sturdy stuff, and you'd have fresh leaves whenever you wanted some.

My parents used to grow mint in their garden in Kent and it was so difficult to control - wanted to take over the whole garden so I thought I'd do the same. I also thought I could grow other herbs in my garden. But they all die. It must be the wind and rain that finishes them off. So I tried growing them on my (very narrow) windowsills and they just don't grow. I have herbs in pots all over the place, but they don't recover after their first flourishing. The winter kills them off. I have one pot which I am currently nurturing in a planter right beside my back door, so sheltered by the house. It is just putting on leaf now. The rosemary survived the winter in the same planter, but it is very spindly and bedraggled. Thyme, sage and parsley died very rapidly. Bay is looking very sickly, but it is still alive. I really need a greenhouse, but can't afford one. Anyway, greenhouses and poly-tunnels often don't survive the winter here either. I have grown chives in a pot on the windowsill, which tasted of nothing when I cut them and I currently have some Chinese chives growing on the windowsill - they have no flavour either. Same problem with basil - my favourite herb - it just doesn't grow. So - I am reduced to buying herbs from the supermarket as and when I can get them.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: 2 fried eggs on wholemeal toast.

2nd meal: the rest of the cauliflower paella from yesterday some time later today.

I know I shouldn't but I have made an experimental suet crust bacon roll. I have been trying to make this, my Grannie's signature dish, for years, but gave up a while before going low carb. But I was thinking back on a conversation I had with my brother a few weeks ago and we both remembered with relish the mouth-watering dish she used to serve us, especially the semi-hard crust produced by putting it in the oven to dry. We also both remembered that she boiled cabbage for ages and turned it into an horrid, smelly mush. I'm not going to try to make that! But the pudding is boiling on the hob at the moment. If it works, I will have one slice of it tomorrow and send the rest down to Em's family. If it doesn't work, I'll still send it down to their house, for the dogs. I'm told that Ginnie (the St Bernard)'s stomach is swinging from side to side as she walks - pups can't be too far off now.
I loved savoury suetcrust dishes! I also loved jam roly poly with the suet crust. I remember my Mum/Grandma crisping the suet crust by the coal fire. The dumpling always ended up by the fire too to form that external skin.
Funnily enough, another thing that came into my mind last night was Beetroot Stout. They used to make it as a tonic when you were ill. I remember it was beetroot, loads of brown sugar and sweetheart stout but it was done in stages and that's what a cannot remember.

Reactions: Antje77

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yesterday, for the first time ever, I used some dried marrowfat peas to make mushy peas. Just as an experiment, you understand. Didn't stick to the recipe, of course but added some veg stock and a few vegetables, including some lettuce which needed to be used before it went too soft and some lemon bits and pieces from the lemon I used for a salad the other day. I cooked it beyond mushy to paste-like so that it reminded me of the peas pudding we used to get for school dinner in the 50's (strangely, I was the only one who enjoyed that). Anyway, I used a tablespoon of it as a spread on a slice of wholemeal toast for my breakfast. I really enjoyed it but have no idea how many carbs it would represent as a meal and it didn't stave off the pangs of hunger for long, so I just had a tin of sardines in olive oil to try to plug the gap. BG didn't go up anyway and stayed around the 6 mark.

I will need a further meal and am in the process of making some cauliflower and broccoli rice which I will make into some kind of egg fried "rice" dish.

Neil couldn't get fresh mint for me the other day when I needed it but came home from the shops today with some - smells lovely. I'll have to find a way to use it before it goes off.
In an ice cube to drop in a glass of gin? Or just me?

Reactions: Antje77 and Annb

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saturday 23 April bed 6.6 FBG 5.6. Jujitsu this morning for the boys then son wanted to go to Costco after plus I wanted to go to M&S (which son was delighted about as he adds things to my trolley which usually I pay for!).l

B.TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and coleslaw.

L. I was hungry when I got back from all the shopping so had 6 small chicken wings that had to be eaten.

D. Cold cuts - 1 slice each ox tongue, mortadella, wafer thin roast beef and ham, 6 pieces of the mini German sausage (why did Sainsbury's think 2 packs x 20 salami was a good substitute for another 2 packs of German sausage??), deli coleslaw and another 2 chicken wings. M&S Pancetta crisps.

Later I had one of my dark fix chocolates - another praline. There's different types.

Sunday 24 April - bed 7.6 FBG 6.9 No swimming lessons so pushed on with the fabric sort. I now have 2 bags ready for a trip to recycling tomorrow. Also did a bit of schoolwork prep. I'm going to now be teaching youngest grandson 2 afternoons per week. We discovered his bad behaviour is down to him being bullied so he'll be at home in the afternoons for a while.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with egg mayo.

L. Nothing

D. Campari and soda. Hubby decided he'd like a version of the DD seafood salad I'd made before. My one consisted of lettuce, bistro tomatoes, salmon fillet, prawns, queenie scallops, squid, anchovies, egg, beetroot, 1/2 avocado, mini cucumber, walnuts, mini mozzarella. Dressing was mayo, sour cream, lime juice and garlic. Very filling so half of that plate was put away for lunch today (Monday).

My one dark fix chocolate. Another gin one.
20220424_185606.jpg

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
Saturday 23 April bed 6.6 FBG 5.6. Jujitsu this morning for the boys then son wanted to go to Costco after plus I wanted to go to M&S (which son was delighted about as he adds things to my trolley which usually I pay for!).l

B.TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and coleslaw.

L. I was hungry when I got back from all the shopping so had 6 small chicken wings that had to be eaten.

D. Cold cuts - 1 slice each ox tongue, mortadella, wafer thin roast beef and ham, 6 pieces of the mini German sausage (why did Sainsbury's think 2 packs x 20 salami was a good substitute for another 2 packs of German sausage??), deli coleslaw and another 2 chicken wings. M&S Pancetta crisps.

Later I had one of my dark fix chocolates - another praline. There's different types.

Sunday 24 April - bed 7.6 FBG 6.9 No swimming lessons so pushed on with the fabric sort. I now have 2 bags ready for a trip to recycling tomorrow. Also did a bit of schoolwork prep. I'm going to now be teaching youngest grandson 2 afternoons per week. We discovered his bad behaviour is down to him being bullied so he'll be at home in the afternoons for a while.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with egg mayo.

L. Nothing

D. Campari and soda. Hubby decided he'd like a version of the DD seafood salad I'd made before. My one consisted of lettuce, bistro tomatoes, salmon fillet, prawns, queenie scallops, squid, anchovies, egg, beetroot, 1/2 avocado, mini cucumber, walnuts, mini mozzarella. Dressing was mayo, sour cream, lime juice and garlic. Very filling so half of that plate was put away for lunch today (Monday).

My one dark fix chocolate. Another gin one. View attachment 54316
The food in your photos always looks so delicious!

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I loved savoury suetcrust dishes! I also loved jam roly poly with the suet crust. I remember my Mum/Grandma crisping the suet crust by the coal fire. The dumpling always ended up by the fire too to form that external skin.
Funnily enough, another thing that came into my mind last night was Beetroot Stout. They used to make it as a tonic when you were ill. I remember it was beetroot, loads of brown sugar and sweetheart stout but it was done in stages and that's what a cannot remember.

Just found this on the internet, @maglil55:

https://kitchencounterculture121.wordpress.com/2015/07/19/beetroot-stout/

Sounds as though it might be one of those "good for you" remedies but very sugary.

Reactions: maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yesterdays uneaten meal was at least as good as I expected!
Onion, vegan shawarma, lots of mushrooms, garlic, some bell pepper, some chilli and curry powder, and a generous amount of cream.

Easily adapted to vegan and low carb by using coconut oil/cream (no idea what you call it in the UK) instead of the cream, and easily made even lower carb by using shawarma from meat instead of the vegan one. :)

278572632_10225436547014945_6146789515339752501_n.jpg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and an Aldi protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: a coffee shop coconut cappuccino and a Carb Killa bar.
Dinner: liver with onion gravy, Brussels and a few baby carrots followed by SF blackcurrant jelly and cream.