What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Riva_Roxaban Hope you are OK now. Monday 2 May - bed 8.1 FBG 7.3 (I must have made a mistake with something at the Thai).

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and coleslaw.

L. M&S crispy cheese cracker with pate.

D. Leftover cold cuts. Ox tongue, pork, smoked chicken, roast beef, German sausage, coleslaw and beetroot. Pack of M&S serrano ham crisps and coconut milk.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
I cooked a lot of pasta, it is so tasty and what a pity to throw away it, but my BG reacts very badly to it. Can you recommend easy-to-prepare low-carb dishes?

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a Food Dr bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a DGF millionaires shortbread.
Dinner: crispy cheese and tomato omelette followed by SF blackcurrant jelly and cream.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Cauliflower hash-brown egg cups are not worth the effort of making them. Not that they were particularly difficult to make, but still not worth it. I'd have been better reducing the cheese, adding some low carb flour substitute and baking them flat like crackers. Then I could have poached the eggs and just put them on top.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I cooked a lot of pasta, it is so tasty and what a pity to throw away it, but my BG reacts very badly to it. Can you recommend easy-to-prepare low-carb dishes?
The easiest way is to just leave out the carby bits from dishes and have more of the veggies and protein.
What had you planned to have your pasta with? Anything cheesy or creamy goes well with cauliflower instead of pasta (and cooking cauliflower is just as easu and quick as cooking pasta), a bolognese type sauce can be eaten on courgette pretending it's pasta (either premade cougetti spaghetti or very thinly sliced courgette, fried for just a minute before adding the sauce. I'm happy with the sauce as it is too, perhaps with a little water and cream added to call it a soup.

Google is your best friend too, unless google is unavailable in your country? Just put in 'keto' or 'low carb' and 'easy' in your search and stuff will pop up.

Cabbage is very versatile too.
If you tell us what kind of foods you like to eat we're likely to come up with something not quite the same but hitting the spot!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Today should be the last of the zuurkoolstamppot, but I visited a friend for her birthday and I'm not sure I want to eat a real meal, it being so late now. So I think I'll just have a sandwich, or maybe a lot of strawberries I just bought and Greek yoghurt.

At the birthday party we got to talk about rösti so we ended up googling cauliflower rösti because we all craved rösti because of the conversation.
Turns out this is a thing so I'll be making it tomorrow or the day after! :)

I'll use the google to read through some recipes of course, but if any of you have made something like this and liked it, please let me know what you did!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: ff greek with seeds and half a pear chopped into it. To stop me eating the other half of the pear I chopped it into yoghurt and seeds and put it into the fridge for tomorrow's breakfast. It goes really thick and tastes different to when I make and eat it on the spot.
L: camembert. Ate about 100g with nothing else. Bought in a farm shop it was ripe and not too strong.
Mid afternoon, baked seedy cheesy crackers and ate far too many while testing and tasting.
D: a small chaffle with bit of bratwurst ( 2 left from yesterday to feed 3 adults so gave bigger portions to menfolk) cheesy swede mash, also left from yesterday.
9pm snack of dark chocolate buttons without almonds

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two slices toast and vegimite for breakfast, mug of black coffee with half a scoop of osmolax in it for breakfast
Small sausage roll, lemon cordial with a large scoop of osmolax for smoko.
Reheated spag bol and pasta for lunch.
Tin of hearty beef soup, two slices of toast, mug of black tea with another half scoop of the osmolax.

Glass of single malt and one oxcodone and a early night.

Thanks for the hugs everyone,

I phoned my palliative care GP for an appointment for Friday, she is going to call in at home today Thursday to save me the trip

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So I think I'll just have a sandwich, or maybe a lot of strawberries
Reminder to self: If you eat 300 grams of strawberries in 10 minutes, you do have to take insulin for it, even if it's 'just' strawberries.
Still, they were very tasty, and I caught the rise at 7 which reminded me to inject so no regrets! :D

Overwhelmed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, rudeness
Yesterday 4th
Breakfast was 2 boiled eggs, chia seed pudding with nuts, strawberries and some greek yogart
Lunch, 2 small homemade pizza pockets the other half found the recipe online Bases made with almond flour
Dinner, chicken and chorizo with steamed Corgette, asparagus and red peppers

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
@Antje77, @Yaya10_10 Thanks a lot! I know quite a few recipes for low-carb dishes, but if it is tasty than it is too difficult or too expensive. When I have a lot of free time, I cook something with chicken or fish, but after a working day I'm so lazy to do something that I just cook pasta with sausages. I usually cook eggs when I don't feel like cooking and need something low-carb, but I'm already tired of eggs.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
but if it is tasty than it is too difficult or too expensive.
Staples in my kitchen are onions and cabbage, both cheap and easy to prepare.
I'm pretty sure fried onions with cabbage and sausages will make a cheap and tasty meal, especially if you add tomato puree as well. And chopping onions is just a very little bit more work than cooking spaghetti, so things like that may work for lazy cooking days.

Onions and cabbage are also great as a cheap way of making more of about any dish with more expensive ingredients! :)
(Still more expensive than spaghetti of course, but choosing cheaper ingredients really makes a lot of difference.)

I often cook for multiple days too, even when I don't work I'm too lazy to cook every day. Less work, and less expensive because less leftovers and I can buy bigger packages of things.
I often do my shopping without a real plan, just buying things that are on offer and only deciding what I'll do with them during the week.
Hope this helps!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Zhnyaka, as Antje says, cabbage - any kind - and onion make a great base for other ingredients. Even better if you can add a squeeze of lemon juice either while cooking or at the end. The kind of sausage you can get depends on where you live - in UK sausages are usually fairly high carb and if you hunt around and get lower carb ones, they tend to be more expensive. Continental sausage is generally lower carb because it's normal not to add a starch to them like we do in UK. But you don't need much sausage to make the cabbage and onions tasty.

Streaky bacon is pretty inexpensive and it makes for a very tasty dish as well. If you shred the cabbage and onions (maybe in a food processor) and cook them gently in butter, they cook down to a very tasty base. You could make this as a base and add whatever ingredients you want to it - bacon, sausage, grated cheese, cream cheese, tomatoes (cheap ones chopped in tins will do fine), tomato puree, even some minced or chunks of meat that you enjoy. As long as you season it to your own taste, it will make a good meal.

You can buy low carb pasta, but they tend to be expensive and if you are like me, you can't eat them anyway (they contain fibres from plants I can't tolerate) but other people can.

Then again, you could try making large quantities of something you enjoy and keep it in the fridge to use over the next 2 or 3 days, or in the freezer to take out when you want it.

You could make a fairly plain soup (like the one Antje made a day or so back) and add things to it on subsequent days (bits of sausage, bacon and so on or chunks/slices of vegetables).

There again, you could just have a stock of cold meat and/or cheese/ smoked, cooked or tinned fish that you can snack on with some lettuce leaves to wrap it in. Soft cheese and chopped ham mixed together and wrapped in lettuce, is pretty good and takes no time at all to put together.

Spinach leaves take no time at all to cook and are great as a base of some fish or mixed with soft cheese and used to fill a lettuce leaf.

Maybe you could find a few different bases you like - like the cabbage or the soup - and use them over a period so that you don't get bored and have bits and pieces to add to them as required.

To be honest, there are lots of days when I am too tired (lazy?) to do any food prep and I often don't feel like eating anyway so on those days, it's good to have something in the freezer that can be pulled out and shoved in the microwave if I do feel the need of some sustenance.

Reactions: Yaya10_10

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: Bacon and eggs with half a thick end slice of wholemeal bread.
2nd meal: Taking my own advice and making some cabbage and onion in butter with some streaky bacon. Quick and easy, which is what I feel like right now.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Went to buy local free range chicken for weekend but there was one very very reduced bird with short date of today so got tempted (free range birds are costly - although worth it for welfare and taste) and hence had to cook my planned Sunday roast dinner today. Also had short date lamb which had planned for today originally but stuck this in freezer.
Out early today so took opportunity to extend my daily fast from usual 16 hours to 19 hours
Late lunch - two boiled eggs with one slice of lc buttered toast followed by two small strawberries with hm yoghurts and two squares of 90% chocolate
Dinner roast chicken dinner with cauliflower mash, a few organic carrot batons and local asparagus with small glass dry white wine followed by lc blondie.
Now off to prepare my next batch of hm yoghurt it’s one that I ferment for 37 hours so needs to be planned ahead - I’m addicted to my hm yoghurts so wouldn't like to run out!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a Food Dr bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a DGF millionaires shortbread.
Dinner: cauliflower and broccoli cheese with Brussels a couple of baby carrots followed by SF strawberry jelly and cream.