What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
437FA0F3-AF61-445F-8D10-85687DE002FB.jpeg
Had an experiment today making my first ever hm kefir cheese. You strain hm kefir through a coffee filter paper in a sieve over a bowl and leave for several hours and it produces a lovely soft cheese full of good bacteria. I’ve tried a bit and it tastes good so put the cheese to one side in fridge as planning to use it to make a mushroom pate. I’ve bought some shiitake and portobello mushrooms which I’ll cook tomorrow with some slivers of garlic in butter and then blend with the kefir soft cheese and a few herbs to make mushroom pate for a family lunch on Friday.
My other experiment today was using 2 teaspoons of liquid inulin (which looks like honey or golden syrup see photo ) in my yoghurt production - hoping works same as powdered inulin as much easier to mix! I had a quick taste of the syrup which is just chicory root like the powder but more concentrated and it tastes delicious - would be good drizzled on lc toast or similar I think.this one was called troo see photo but now I’ve discovered it I notice other companies produce inulin syrup too. I bought mine from Ocado but spotted on amazon too. It’s one gram of carb per teaspoon but you don’t need much as it tastes sweet. Noticed there’s a choc version with the chicory root syrup mixed with cocoa but also noticed that several reviews mentioned that they found the choc version too easy to eat straight from jar......
Today’s food
10ish hm yoghurts with seeds
1ish starter of portion of cultured vegetables then 2 boiled eggs with lc roll followed by berries and hm yoghurts and 100% chocolate
5ish Cajun chicken with salad and cultured veggies followed by lc blondie.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had to get the car to the garage early, then filled in the waiting time in Lidl
So skipping breakfast was easy.
Sorted out the big freezer, no real surprises. Things were just on the wrong shelves.
L: smoked salmon bits mixed with cream cheese served on seedy crackers and on cucumber.. 1 sq hm lc rhubarb cake
Whilst out in the afternoon I was given 1 mini chocolate, a Bounty like you get in the Xmas tins. Then an hour later a small piece of cake. Funnily my bg rose from 6 to 8 for 3 hours then plummeted back to 6, then instantly up again to 8.5 BUT this second rise was while I was cooking dinner, no carbs just chicken, an onion, quarter of a carrot and cabbage, some curry paste, yog.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sausages and a two egg and cheese omelette, tomatoes and muchrooms, two slices of toast and vegimite.
Chicken legs marinated in a mild Peri Peri sauce / marinade for lunch.
Homemade sheep herders pie, mashed pumkin on my portion green veggies for supper at six.

Couple of crispbread and danish blue chees watching Prime.

Glass of single malt before I had a early night.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Decided to be a bit careful about veggies when I realised that my innards were already playing up so body swerved the cauliflower option after all. Just had a few bits of ham and left it at that. Took some loperamide and still hoping for the best.

Found some smoked haddock patties in the freezer - they were tiny and a bit crumbly (not sure what the ingredients were, but they were home made so nothing I shouldn't have) but quite acceptable. So I had 4 of them with 2 fried eggs on top (Edit: for breakfast).

If my system settles down, I'll use the cauliflower option later, if not - I won't.

Neil went to town for me but came rushing back with a few bits and pieces - his Crohn's suddenly flared up and he just had to get home. He's gone to bed to rest for a while. I guess the tinned fish will be taking a knock once he feels up to eating. He thinks it's because he tried reducing his steroid again and that has just let his previous conditions assert themselves again.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Visit to Lidl this morning to secure their ‘pick of the week’ packs of Picanha (accompanying sauce packed separately so easily discarded) and extra thick ribeye. Got 3 of each, some 25% mince and mini bratwurst.

One of the small pieces of Picanha (2 per pack) formed lunch along with some chilli oil coated chicken wings and 4 mini bratwurst. All cooked in the airfryer and all pretty good. Earlier I’d eaten some Fage 5% and raspberries and a couple of 25g bars of choc (also from Lidl). That’s probably it for today.

8E36B8DB-9DAE-4162-8B67-6F86DD06613C.jpeg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Started eating today at about 10 - with scrambled eggs on one slice of low carb toast and also had a glass of home made kefir
1 ish a portion of hm cultured veggies, some nuts and a few lc seeded crackers followed by a few berries and hm yoghurts and a few squares of 100% chocolate
5ish rack of lamb with hm cultured veggies and salad from garden with one glass of dry red wine followed by a chocolate chia pudding made with yoghurt and kefir.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1st meal today around noon after PT in the park. sliced roast beef on romaine lettuce spread with cream cheese and topped with chilli sauerkraut, avocado and a couple of cherry toms. H/m yoghurt with nut butter stirred in.
2nd mini meal- a frozen DGF cookie and cup of tea with lactofree milk
Dinner around 5- the last of the preprepared batch dinners DD chicken caprese casserole with salad. Choc chia pud to follow. 2 glasses red.
Somewhere along the way I had 2 HC 100% batons too.

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
My GP has forgotten about me and frankly I've become a bit blase about my diet and only testing occasionally. Yesterday was a stressful day and I was seduced by two (yes 2!) portions of fresh ginger cake after dinner and my bloods rose to 12 then 13 then 13.8 over 3 hours. Horrified I went for a brisk 30min walk to get it down to 10.8 before bedtime and promised myself that I would get back on these forums, so here I am.
Today:
breakfast - 100ml fullfat greek yoghurt and 30g pecans - 6g carbs
lunch - 3 egg omelatte & leaves - 5g carbs
snack - 30g Brazil nuts large tea & oatmilk - 6g carbs
dinner - seafood stick salad with 60g tomatoes, 50g olives and a dash of dressing - 6g carbs
benecol dyoghurt - 3g carbs
26g carbs for the day.

I'll be looking out for some LCHF ideas. I seem to have forgotten what to eat :-(

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was expecting a workman early, so woke 2 hours earlier even than needed Grr!
B: ff greek with blueberries and blackberries from the freezer
2 hours later at normal breakfast time: a full sugar brownie (just to prove I can't be trusted to have contraband in the house)
Exercise class
L: 2 chicken drumsticks and a Kind nut bar
Hours hilly walk
Hairdressers
D: rump steak (using up odd bits found in the freezer stockcheck yesterday), galicbutter mushrooms and salad. 1 small scoop ice cream.
Loving wearing a libre to measure my indiscretions

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a food dr bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Dinner: Balti chicken curry with cauliflower rice followed by SF strawberry jelly and cream.

PiersAaron

Breakfast - 9AM: two egg omelet with two green onions and swiss cheese. Two and a half TBSP of fried red radishes.

3 cups of black iced coffee between the two meals.

2and and last meal - 5PM: Half cup of leftover salad with olives, blue cheese, avocado, olive oil and vinegar. Additionally, two egg omelet with two green onions and swiss cheese. 200g of fresh strawberries with heavy cream, dash of salt and half TBSP stevia.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Visit to Lidl this morning to secure their ‘pick of the week’ packs of Picanha (accompanying sauce packed separately so easily discarded) and extra thick ribeye. Got 3 of each, some 25% mince and mini bratwurst.

One of the small pieces of Picanha (2 per pack) formed lunch along with some chilli oil coated chicken wings and 4 mini bratwurst. All cooked in the airfryer and all pretty good. Earlier I’d eaten some Fage 5% and raspberries and a couple of 25g bars of choc (also from Lidl). That’s probably it for today.

View attachment 55252
Are the mini bratwurst only available at Lidl this week and how much did they cost please?

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 slices slc bread toasted and filled with egg mayo. 1 square lindtt 90%. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - roast beef, gammon & turkey with a little carrots, peas, green beans and cauliflower cheese and a little mash and 1 roast potato (out at Toby Carvery).

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon, two egg and cheese omelette, tomatoes for breakfast.
Smoko was two bottles of barium meal at I-Med Radiology at the private hospital. :meh:
Steak and mixed salad at the cafe at the cafe at the Friendlies for a late lunch.
Savoury liver ad bacon for supper at six.

I come close to loosing the barium meal halfway down drinking the second bottle, guts started churning but managed to hang on to as I did not want to start again. They got me again with the green dye they injected, it always catches me out that I am peeing my self. Gaahhhhhhhh!

Now for the wait for the results of the CT scan next week to see nwhat the damage is.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are the mini bratwurst only available at Lidl this week and how much did they cost please?
Not sure whether they’re a regular, just happened to spot them. I’ve chucked the receipt out but they were £2 something for a pack of 14. 1g carb/100g and the pack of 14 is 300g.

Editing to say the receipt was in fact scrunched up in the living room and the cost was £2.29.

Last edited:
Reactions: Antje77

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast is going to be more of the mushroom pate on toast. I was going to have eggs but have realised that I only havew 18 eggs in the house and I need every one of those for baking today (catering for morning coffee and afternoon tea for conference goers on Monday and Tuesday) When Alistair comes with the mail, I'll ask him to get me some more but can't use any for me at present - just in case he can't.

Intending to risk the cauliflower cheese for 2nd meal today.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
My cough and lurgy turned out to be Covid, much worse than first time in 2020. Since LoDough pizza on Sunday night I have only had the odd bit of toast and constant tea. Yesterday evening I had two scrambled eggs but only because I felt I should make the effort. I have a C&C today so at least stocked up for the week again. Hopefully its on the upward trajectory from here.