What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my experience @jjraak I would call that 'being aware' of my surroundings, the situation, or whatever. I can also call that 'shadow boxing', so I don't perceive it as a negative but see it as being mentally prepared in case of...

Very much agree, it was how I lived my life.

Never understood why any one walking alone keeps their hands in pockets, ..see the risks & be prepared.

I was almost looking into my rear view mirrors while out walking ..:hilarious:

But that was just Real life back then.

And it is THAT interpretation of how I see reality now, that has changed.

I think it's the being way too up close & personal to such an event .

The idea I might get hit by a van was a reason to be cautious

The fact I did get hit by a van, changes that perspective immeasurably.

I now know, the unexpected does happen, in far too graphic detail.

And it's THAT post accident viewpoint, that I think is the barrier.

Therapist sees a few precautions to take if it rains, for example.

I now see it might not rain, it might flood, ..and be devastating...without any warning

So a small umbrella isn't going to cut it.
So I'm more thoughtful.

I envisage beyond the basics

So asking me how I feel about rain.

And Anything I say, ...seemingly that isn't take an umbrella,.... is the wrong answer.

Threats
In the hope I might provide a little more clarity, i produced a spreadsheet of Risks/ threats pre crash V post crash to show my view now.
Of how the most basic things and how I assess them has changed.

Sure we all have to manage change, but here I'm just discussing how to communicate such differences with my therapist.

Q. What scares me.(make me feel threatened)
Q. how does it make me feel

One item
Showering ...low risk pre crash
Showering....high risk post crash

I can't stand, high risk of slipping, small seat in bath is best I can do and even then it's a precarious position, re bending to clean lower extremities or back, etc.

That thought I might fall..puts me back on the ground at the crash site, immobile reliant on others, no idea how long before help arrives, etc etc

My perception has changed irrevocably.
Therapist is where I was pre crash, I believe

Threats
Was a small list.
Now, it's several pages.

Our language & perception is different.
Hoping we can both explain so the other understands .

Sorry, but with upcoming meeting, I found this quite therapeutic to lay it out so plainly.

Thank you @gennepher for the opportunity to think aloud xx

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Never understood why any one walking alone keeps their hands in pockets, ..see the risks & be prepared.

I now see it might not rain, it might flood, ..and be devastating...without any warning

So I'm more thoughtful.

And Anything I say, ...seemingly that isn't take an umbrella,.... is the wrong answer.

Threats
In the hope I might provide a little more clarity, i produced a spreadsheet of Risks/ threats pre crash V post crash to show my view now.

Sure we all have to manage change, but here I'm just discussing how to communicate such differences with my therapist.

One item

I can't stand, high risk of slipping, small seat in bath is best I can do and even then it's a precarious position, re bending to clean lower extremities or back, etc.

That thought I might fall..puts me back on the ground at the crash site, immobile reliant on others, no idea how long before help arrives, etc etc

Threats
Was a small list.
Now, it's several pages.

Sorry, but with upcoming meeting, I found this quite therapeutic to lay it out so plainly.

Good opportunity to think through "the issues" and thoroughly well taken. The therapist sees the threats in the abstract you see them as real having been made only too personally acquainted with how we are all only ever a heartbeat away from having to confront our mortality (Christian Eriksen anyone?) - not theoretically or "as a spectator." You are actually living your reality not their idea of what "should be". Entirely different things.

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good opportunity to think through "the issues" and thoroughly well taken. The therapist sees the threats in the abstract you see them as real having been made only too personally acquainted with how we are all only ever a heartbeat away from having to confront our mortality (Christian Eriksen anyone?) - not theoretically or "as a spectator." You are actually living your reality not their idea of what should be". Entirely different things.

Exactly..
Great point re Eriksen

What was once abstract & a maybe.

Became far to real.

A final note on Reality.

There are monsters under the bed.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant notes before something is amazing @Krystyna23040
It does with me as a deaf person to then even follow what is going on.
So, I can see how those notes would make those 5 hours of zoom (which I would dread) into a very pleasant experience. I am pleased it was a good day instead of a stressful experience.
Yes, it was so relaxing knowing that I wasn't going to forget important information because I couldn't write notes fast enough or decipher my rushed handwriting - which actually usually happens @gennepher

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A van passing close, can make me feel threatened ....wrong answer :sorry:
I felt like that for ages everytime I saw any vehicle drive up to the junction with the road I was traveling on. The sound of emergency vehicle sirens also triggered that feeling. It is a horrible feeling.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is brilliant news

Had to do many write ups for what I was trying to pass on to others while taking a group for training.

Surprising that what ends up being a few pages, that possibly would take a half hour, hours tops to write....

Actually can take days, having reread and clarify, adapting and emphasising/de emphasising words/phrases/tones.

A sign for you that someone leading your course understood their brief very well.:happy:

Sounds like a lovely day was had x
Yes, you are right she is a brilliant teacher and really understood her brief. It definitely would have taken her days and days to write.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

So I'm more thoughtful.

Threats

One item

Threats
Was a small list.
Now, it's several pages.

One should always have the freedom and space to think aloud, or to be able to write on paper (so to speak) @jjraak

A therapist has heard many clients on different issues on a daily basis. You on the other hand, I am assuming, has only seen one therapist for this 'issue', (I am assuming ). It will depend on the therapist's own background and training on how they interact with you. And you have the background of the particular crash events, and the immediacy of that. It doesn't matter if it was months or longer ago, something traumatic can still be seen and emotions felt as vivid as yesterday. There will be, I presume, a whole pile of emotions and thoughts in your brain which will have been some kind of survival mechanism within you to actually get through the event as it was happening. They may have been logical or not have been logical thoughts and feelings, but they got you through that particular event. Not a different event, but that particular one.

I don't know if I am making any sense here, or just talking nonsense. Forgive me if I have said the wrong thing.

Take care x

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One should always have the freedom and space to think aloud, or to be able to write on paper (so to speak) @jjraak

A therapist has heard many clients on different issues on a daily basis. You on the other hand, I am assuming, has only seen one therapist for this 'issue', (I am assuming ). It will depend on the therapist's own background and training on how they interact with you. And you have the background of the particular crash events, and the immediacy of that. It doesn't matter if it was months or longer ago, something traumatic can still be seen and emotions felt as vivid as yesterday. There will be, I presume, a whole pile of emotions and thoughts in your brain which will have been some kind of survival mechanism within you to actually get through the event as it was happening. They may have been logical or not have been logical thoughts and feelings, but they got you through that particular event. Not a different event, but that particular one.

I don't know if I am making any sense here, or just talking nonsense. Forgive me if I have said the wrong thing.

Take care x
No apology needed between friends when one is helping the other understand something more clearly.

I think you are right

I 'saw' the show.
Everyone else is going off the Reviews.

So of course it's hard for others.
And good point about therapists.
Much like a GP in some respects.

Sure we as patients might all be similar like a herd of sheep (no disrespect intended) but then each of us are individuals with distinct traits & circumstances..so perhaps never easy for those helping us.

Not casting aspersions on my therapist, to be clear

Simply a gap between what & where we meet word wise

A gap I think you guys may have helped me bridge, god willing .

I know she'll be doing the same her end

I think a moment that just proves a problem shared...IS a Problem halved

X

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I felt like that for ages everytime I saw any vehicle drive up to the junction with the road I was traveling on. The sound of emergency vehicle sirens also triggered that feeling. It is a horrible feeling.
How awful....

Horrible how our reflexes emotions can be triggered by such.

I Hope & good to see you are in a much better place regarding such emotions.

Thank you for your input, guidance & support
Take care xx

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.5

I feel like I am running out of time...
So much to do before daughter comes...
I had a peaceful day yesterday.

For the last 10 or so evenings, sitting on swing with Midnight, Mrs Bluetit visits, as she has done every evening (as well as frequently during the day during the day). She sings her song and several other different species of small birds come along immediately. One is Mr Sparrow, the father of Little Miss, Young Robin, Little Miss, and a new very small apparently young bird. I have not seen this species of bird in my garden before. It is a ground feeder, and Mittle Miss joined it feeding off the ground.I had to Google and it turns out it is a young Dunnock. It is very mouse like as it moved along the ground, so I did fear for it a bit. But Midnight took no interest in the small Dunnock however close it got to us. It is almost on the dot of 7 pm they come. They stay a short while then go. Always the same number and same group of birds. But last night was a lot different. Mrs Bluetit sang her song, and this usual lot turned up, and were making a heck of a racket, I couldn't identify the different songs.

Suddenly a whole group of (new to my garden) small birds appeared. Another male robin with weird plumage for his breast (like moulting gone wrong). A small group of different sparrows, male and female, and they were squabbling a bit, with two females after one male, and two different males after one female, but pretty quickly they sorted themselves into male and female pairs. Little Miss flew away, she wasn't getting involved in this. The two male Robins fed at the feeders. And the little Dunnock was feeding on the ground throughout all this, and then another Dunnock friend turned up and they were feeding together. Just before all the birds left, there came along a new (to my garden) male bluetit. And Mrs Bluetit seemed mighty pleased, and they canoodled, then flew away together. This new male bluetit has very brightly coloured plumage compared to Mrs Bluetit's hubby of earlier this year. Obviously she is calling the shots. Out with the old, in with the new. Even the father of Little Miss chose a new female partner to fly away with.

Will there be another dating evening tonight? Or is this try out different partners time?

Creative in Laboscope is a kaleidoscope of a part of my bedroom.

I have stuff to do. So bye before i totally run out of time...

I need another cuppa.

65D6C817-BE34-4420-A4FA-5B51BD3C291A.jpeg

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How awful....

Horrible how our reflexes emotions can be triggered by such.

I Hope & good to see you are in a much better place regarding such emotions.

Thank you for your input, guidance & support
Take care xx
Thank you @jjraak . Am definitely in a better place now. Where I run my classes in Norwich is on the A140 Ipswich Road and emergency vehicles fly up and down it several times a day. In the end.I was able to focus on the fact that the sound of the sirens meant that someone in trouble was going to be rescued and the flashbacks gradually got less and less.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 this morning. We are off to our little market town shortly to take the dogs for their wash and brush up. While we are waiting we are going to wander around the shops.

Got up at 5pm.and did the admin for the day, so it will be lovely to have a relaxing , before the lunchtime classes start.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone on another super Suffolk summer's day. Still no known fbg here but I'm starting to question that strategy. I still analyse my food and drink in cronometer. Since my tastes ensure my diet varies little, I have a very good idea of how my choices have affected bg over the past 7 years - Friday is the actual start date. Many of my personalised food choices and even whole days are stored in that app besides those from their database. @gennepher a fascinating tale of speed dating at Genn's diner and that kaleidoscope is one of my favourites. I'm not sure how it would work as a feature stone on a ring but to me it has that appearance. @Krystyna23040 hug for the location of your work causing you to relive your trauma but a great way to rationalise things. I have done the basic early morning housekeeping/housework. I now have: a grandson to play with until we collect his sister from pre-school; many litres of tea to drink; a potentially momentous England cricket victory to watch; a lawn to cut and strim and “limits” to check/stretch. Not exactly everything I want or feel I should do but I'm "above ground" so thanks be to God and on we go. Take care.

Last edited:

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and regulars that pop in and read, but never post.
Bloods this morning were a 5.0.
Again my day is planned, but life has a strange way of interfering, therefore things could get interesting and hopefully not in the Chinese curse way.
Stay safe all.
Question
Which is more dangerous in the long term
A. Covid
B. Monkey pox
C. The negativity of the media.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone, can’t possibly catch up but a belated happy birthday to @gennepher. The trip round the M25 yesterday morning was interesting, electric scooters would surely be a better bet than even a small Smart car. Still, after 1847 miles, we are now home. Girl in the bubble to pick up from nursery at 1130 and the wheels of our normality keep on turning. Hope you are all reasonably well. We did think of bringing you some garlic but the thought of breathing garlic air all the way home put us off. Koffy, I need to add it to the shopping list.

upload_2022-7-5_9-46-25.jpeg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone, can’t possibly catch up but a belated happy birthday to @gennepher. The trip round the M25 yesterday morning was interesting, electric scooters would surely be a better bet than even a small Smart car. Still, after 1847 miles, we are now home. Girl in the bubble to pick up from nursery at 1130 and the wheels of our normality keep on turning. Hope you are all reasonably well. We did think of bringing you some garlic but the thought of breathing garlic air all the way home put us off. Koffy, I need to add it to the shopping list.

View attachment 55299
Glad you are safely home. Hug for using the M25 - a road I try to avoid however many extra miles that means driving but usually just as quick IMHO. Wonderful photo. Personally, I would far rather garlic breath than what school students disdainfully called coffee breath. Tea breath was ok apparently.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone on another super Suffolk summer's day. Still no known fbg here but I'm starting to question that strategy. I still analyse my food and drink in cronometer. Since my tastes ensure my diet varies little, I have a very good idea of how my choices have affected bg over the past 7 years - Friday is the actual start date. Many of my personalised food choices and even whole days are stored in that app besides those from their database. @gennepher a fascinating tale of speed dating at Genn's diner and that kaleidoscope is one of my favourites. I'm not sure how it would work as a feature stone on a ring but to me it has that appearance. @Krystyna23040 hug for the location of your work causing you to relive your trauma but a great way to rationalise things. I have done the basic early morning housekeeping/housework. I now have: a grandson to play with until we collect his sister from pre-school; many litres of tea to drink; a potentially momentous England cricket victory to watch; a lawn to cut and strim and “limits” to check/stretch. Not exactly everything I want or feel I should do but I'm "above ground" so thanks be to God and on we go. Take care.
Thank you Ian
@ianpspurs

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

View attachment 55299
Thanks @dunelm
Glad you are safe back!

Reactions: dunelm