What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter, avocado and four tiger prawns seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L:Melanzane alla parmigiana, using aubergine without breading or flour, passata, mozzarella, parmesan, olive oil, oregano, garlic and basil. (Omitted topping from mine and finished with extra parmesan).
Braised cavolo nero with garlic and toasted almonds.
Skipped pud.
Water to drink.

D: Seafood salad made with brown shrimps and mussels, lettuce, Romano peppers, celery, baby plum tomatoes, Kalamata olives, flat-leaf parsley and salad onions, dressed with an olive oil, balsamic and garlic vinaigrette, topped with pistachios.
Water to swallow tablets.

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A sensible precaution @ravensmitten. If thunderstorms occur more frequently in future due climate change, it may be wise to invest in a lightning rod.

Uninterruptable power supply also is a good one for the computer, thankfully although its always raining here thunder and lightning is a rare occurrence, so never invested in one.

Maybe not so sensible yesterday though. Didn't eat in the daytime at all, had a tooth out and ended up grabbing a take out because I was totally wiped out and hungry in evening. It was mostly all meat but I did eat the pide bread it came with, BG rose to 9 for 1.5 hours then luckily back down pretty quickly after that - but yeah probably will skip the bread part if ever do decide to eat that again - It is what it is, a one off. Returned to 5 this morning though, so lucky enough not to have carried through.

Today, skipping breakfast as I tend to, lunch will probably be egg and cheese salad.

sueh21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all, hope all having a good week
Yesterday
B Yog, blueberries, seeds
L Smoked salmon,avocado salad
D Beef casserole,green beans with a Freshwell cheese biscuit/ “dumpling” not quite the same as a real dumpling but ok.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all, hope all having a good week
Yesterday
B Yog, blueberries, seeds
L Smoked salmon,avocado salad
D Beef casserole,green beans with a Freshwell cheese biscuit/ “dumpling” not quite the same as a real dumpling but ok.
will look up the Freshwell cheese biscuit Ive never done any of the Freshwell recipes always up for new ideas. Sharing the link as their low carb manual is really good

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good afternoon. Late again! Bg down a bit so on right road. Fasting for as long as possible today. Have an upset tummy so hopefully that will help. Scrambled eggs at the end of the fast.
well done - good to take advantage of your tummy issue but sorry to hear you are suffering. Gave you a winner for doing well but wanted to send you a hug for your upset tum.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: Bacon and eggs. I was intending to make it an OMAD day but Neil could only get salmon for me that is right on its use-by date so might have to make a 2nd meal of that with some spinach.

I was very hungry all day yesterday but was determined not to have more than 2 meals, then once I did eat, I just kept on picking at bits and pieces. A better, more sustaining breakfast today, so hoping to make up for yesterday with the one meal.n I could just cook the salmon and keep it for tomorrow.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
Breakfast: Bacon and eggs. I was intending to make it an OMAD day but Neil could only get salmon for me that is right on its use-by date so might have to make a 2nd meal of that with some spinach.

I was very hungry all day yesterday but was determined not to have more than 2 meals, then once I did eat, I just kept on picking at bits and pieces. A better, more sustaining breakfast today, so hoping to make up for yesterday with the one meal.n I could just cook the salmon and keep it for tomorrow.
Are you doing omad?
Sorry if I missed this answer already.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you doing omad?
Sorry if I missed this answer already.
I do OMAD most days - not necessarily intentionally but often I get to the afternoon and am too tired or sore to bother with preparing food and by then I am also not really interested in food. But usually I intend to have 2 meals and just end up with one. So I try to have a reasonably substantial breakfast just in case (that is often bacon and eggs).

Yesterday I intended to have 2 meals so the morning meal wasn't all that substantial and I was very hungry all day. Ended up with the 2nd meal not being all that substantial either, hence the picking at bits and pieces (mostly low carb with one shameful exception which I won't talk about). That's why today is going to be OMAD, if I can manage it.

sueh21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all,

I keep forgetting to mention kefir, but I have some every day.

I had sausages, eggs and mushrooms for breakfast, followed by some pork puffs and cream cheese.

Later had two slices of home made low carb bread with greek salad. I'm not very hungry but I might eat something soon just so that I don't start wanting a midnight feast - fallen into that trap a few times!

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Coffee and cream x 2
Coffee and unsweetened almond milk
Yogurt and tiny fresh figs
Chicken and tomatoes
Corned beef and tomato

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No further forward with info from Gps receptionist was also puzzled but have phone consult booked with DN next Friday so may get more clarity 're my future management. Most results online though now - liver and kidneys and urine tests all good. Hba1c up a bit to 37 has been lower 30s for previous 7 years but happy as I've definitely increased my carbs with more vegetables than I used to include. My cholesterol results never appear online for ages as get flagged as abnormal as always high ldl and this isn't a new thing - I've had since my first recorded tests on my records as did my mum. I can't tolerate statins . My weight and bp remain lower side of normal.
Today's food
Before heading out hm kefir
Lunch small portions of kimchi and sauerkraut with range of cheeses and LC seeded crackers then hm yoghurt and a few frozen raspberries
Dinner hm chilli and LC garlic bread with glass of red. Just had LC blondie and decaffeinated coffee.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

I keep forgetting to mention kefir, but I have some every day.

I had sausages, eggs and mushrooms for breakfast, followed by some pork puffs and cream cheese.

Later had two slices of home made low carb bread with greek salad. I'm not very hungry but I might eat something soon just so that I don't start wanting a midnight feast - fallen into that trap a few times!

I also forget to mention kefir half the time.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congrats on your blood results @shelley262 and good luck with the inevitable statin discussion.
Re Freshwell app I recommended it a couple of years ago to an old college friend. She lives in S Africa and has told a lot of people out there ( adding that is run by UK NHS doctors) and says so many people have now benefitted from it. She’s lost 2st herself.
This evening I’m feeling very full having just finished eating a lovely diet doctor dinner https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-bacon-wrapped-tenderloin-roasted-garlic-mash The roasted garlic mash is gorgeous but maybe not the best idea as I have a hairdressers appt tomorrow morning. She’ll be asphyxiated if she gets too close!
Lunch was scrambled eggs on lc marmite toast.
IMG_1710442231.080292.jpg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congrats on your blood results @shelley262 and good luck with the inevitable statin discussion.
Re Freshwell app I recommended it a couple of years ago to an old college friend. She lives in S Africa and has told a lot of people out there ( adding that is run by UK NHS doctors) and says so many people have now benefitted from it. She’s lost 2st herself.
This evening I’m feeling very full having just finished eating a lovely diet doctor dinner https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-bacon-wrapped-tenderloin-roasted-garlic-mash The roasted garlic mash is gorgeous but maybe not the best idea as I have a hairdressers appt tomorrow morning. She’ll be asphyxiated if she gets too close!
Lunch was scrambled eggs on lc marmite toast. View attachment 66735
Gosh love the look of this and happen to have a pork tenderloin in freezer. Meals planned next few days but must have a go at it soon.
It's helps the Freshwell info is from an NHS gp practice I'm sure people who see media articles that low carb is a fad or possibly not good for their health find it reassuring.

Last edited:

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Simple chicken breast chopped up with some coarse coleslaw for dinner

Did have some yoghurt earlier with a few berries.

Need to eat on one side at the moment as partial denture now has to be fixodented in as there’s nothing to hold onto on one side.

Going to have to pony up for a proper upper set once I’m all healed I think.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke with a bad headache and feeling nauseous, so it was easy to stick to just mint tea.
Later walked about 30 minutes to a garden centre where I met a friend for a chat. Had cwc, but forgot to say "decaff". Still feeling wired 7 hours later!
20 minute walk back.

Lunch part 1 , 2 scrambled eggs
30 minute errand
Lunch part 2, 2 dgf cakes from the freezer - cinnamon I believe. A bit too sweet so added some cream cheese.

Later , while searching for recipes to use the rest of the cream cheese and butternut squash, I managed to mindlessly eat all the cream cheese, about 100g weight of it!

D: 3 chicken drumsticks and butternut squash. 2 small glasses wine after a disappointing phone call.

Definitely feel I'm eating too much too often.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and another carb killa bar.
Dinner out at Côte Brasserie with a gift card which we got for Xmas paying! A deconstructed bacon and cheese burger with veggies cooked in garlic butter. Luckily I’m not having my haircut tomorrow @DJC3 !

2024-03-14 20.23.02.jpeg

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll be having that for dinner tomorrow! Plus broccoli.
I didn't have that tonight. I was still a bit stressed and a bit too tired to cook. So I got a small special fried rice from the local Indian, fried some pre-prepared mushrooms and fried some chopped up frankfurters, and mixed them all together. It was very nice, and as I didn't have a CGM on, I did a finger-prick test before (4.5) and two hours later (6.3) so that wasn't too bad.

To not de-rail this thread too much, I'll be having a low carb meal tomorrow evening. I'll have to get more mushrooms, but I'll definitely be having steak and broccoli & cauliflower.