What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That ice cream sounds delicious. We have gooseberries grow in our garden and elderberries on open land next to us, would be a good ice cream to try making. Now you’ve got me planning
It's not low carb, but at least it's real ingredients. Just try to stick to very small portion.
Just noticed they've labelled it fruit cream ice rather than ice cream. I assume Theres an official definition of ice cream somewhere in the UK regulations

We grow gooseberries too but only one Bush so never enough for ice cream. I used to make elderflower syrup from foraged elderflower but the sugar content is huge. I'm thinking infusioning the somehow, maybe into the cream?...

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not low carb, but at least it's real ingredients. Just try to stick to very small portion.
Just noticed they've labelled it fruit cream ice rather than ice cream. I assume Theres an official definition of ice cream somewhere in the UK regulations

We grow gooseberries too but only one Bush so never enough for ice cream. I used to make elderflower syrup from foraged elderflower but the sugar content is huge. I'm thinking infusioning the somehow, maybe into the cream?...
I just looked online and infusing the elderflower flavour into cream should work. It suggests heating very gently and then leave in the fridge for 12 to 24 hours. I usually make ice cream with a monk fruit & erythritol mix replacement for sugar. It’s not exactly the same, but definitely better than no ice cream, and no additives either.

RosemaryJackson

Morning all. Mondays food is best forgotten but lessons taken from it! After yesterdays Osteopathy session, didn't feel much like eating or cooking so bought a pack of sandwiches. I Know! Naughty but handy. Eyes are much, much better so it looks like it was the tissues from Lidl that I'm allergic to. In the last 3 and a half weeks, I've been to the doctor twice and twice to Johnsons hospital and once to Lincoln hospital. Have one more visit to Lincoln then this episode is done. Thanks for all the good wishes, friends. :happy:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Bit of yo-yoing yesterday evening. BG was low all day but rose to 13.9 by bedtime - just before midnight. That was because it had dropped so low, I had to have ginger nut biscuits (the only ones in the house other than KitKats) to stop the hypo. It rose to 10.2 in 2 hours and kept on going but I just ignored it and went to bed at a quarter to midnight. By this morning at 3:20 it was 8.7. Came down to 7.4 and then sgarted to rise again after cold chicken breakfast. Didn't need to dose before food yesterday so thought I'd not bother this morning either - it was just chicken and BG at that point was 7.6. Of course, I should have dosed for it. Immediately dropped to 7.4 but then rose again to 9.2 so I took a small dose of insulin at that point. Now 8.2.

No more food until much later. That will be the salmon and leeks hat I intended to have last night but was in no state to stand and cook it.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all. Mondays food is best forgotten but lessons taken from it! After yesterdays Osteopathy session, didn't feel much like eating or cooking so bought a pack of sandwiches. I Know! Naughty but handy. Eyes are much, much better so it looks like it was the tissues from Lidl that I'm allergic to. In the last 3 and a half weeks, I've been to the doctor twice and twice to Johnsons hospital and once to Lincoln hospital. Have one more visit to Lincoln then this episode is done. Thanks for all the good wishes, friends. :happy:
Well done for sorting that out Rosemary. It's amazing how some seemingly similar products to our usual ones can do so much damage.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My Kefir production is definitely outpacing our consumption. Idea is to produce one lot of kefir a day and drink the daily output but we only like a small portion and despite discarding some of our overproductive organic kefir grains we can't keep up - shame non of you live near me for a supply of organic kefir. This is my fridge today -my supplies backing up.

IMG_20240320_162926_burst_01_kindlephoto-1332142885.jpg

Breakfast kefir then two boiled eggs and LC roll
Lunch cooked rhubarb with hm yoghurt and LC lemon drizzle
Dinner hm Bolognese and glass of red wine followed by LC chocolate brownie and decaffeinated coffee.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and another carb killa bar.
Dinner out at Nando’s: 4 boneless chicken thighs with coleslaw.

IMG_9101.jpeg

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dinner out at Nando’s: 4 boneless chicken thighs with coleslaw.

View attachment 66843
Mmmm... I have both raw chicken (legs) and coleslaw in the fridge, and your dinner looks gorgeous. I won't say what I had to eat tonight, because it's in the low carb forum, but it was quite small, and I added frankfurters and mushrooms to it, plus I've tested it before and it raised my blood glucose by an acceptable amount. Tomorrow is either chicken legs, sirloin steak, or salmon. I haven't decided yet.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well thankfully you've deduced the probable allergen that triggered your eczema. An admirable piece of detective work there @RosemaryJackson!

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter, avocado and four tiger prawns seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

Baked halloumi and sweet red peppers,
Roast cauliflower with Egyptian duqqah using toasted, crushed almonds. hazelnuts, pistachios with sesame, fennel, cumin and coriander seeds.
A small portion of hummus with Kalamata olives.
Salad using cucumber, rocket, salad onions, raspberries, strawberry halves and mint, dressed with olive oil, garlic, a touch of lemon juice and topped with toasted sesame seeds.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.

D: Seafood salad made with brown shrimps and mussels, lettuce, Romano peppers, celery, baby plum tomatoes, halkidiki olives, oregano and salad onions, dressed with an olive oil, balsamic and garlic vinaigrette, topped with toasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds.
Water to swallow tablets.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My Kefir production is definitely outpacing our consumption. Idea is to produce one lot of kefir a day and drink the daily output but we only like a small portion and despite discarding some of our overproductive organic kefir grains we can't keep up - shame non of you live near me for a supply of organic kefir. This is my fridge today -my supplies backing up.

View attachment 66841
Breakfast kefir then two boiled eggs and LC roll
Lunch cooked rhubarb with hm yoghurt and LC lemon drizzle
Dinner hm Bolognese and glass of red wine followed by LC chocolate brownie and decaffeinated coffee.
My grains are going mad too! I am just making about half a pint of kefir a day, and discarding some grains each time. I still put a little bit of shop bought in, but the taste of the home grown stuff has improved a lot since the grains had a growth spurt, and I think I'm adjusting to the home grown taste now too. One of my friends is going to have some grains from me to try making their own kefir now as well, this stuff is taking over the world!

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Day out with a friend today, day off low carb - only two meals and small ones at that, so while some damage is done I'm ok with not worrying about it. I'm planning for an extended fast soon, so I will keep things as low carb as possible now in preparation.

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So pleased that you've worked out what has been causing your painful problem, @RosemaryJackson, that is good news.

I had a call from my nephew & great nephew, they were coming over & bringing a takeaway dinner, for me, kebab meat & coleslaw. It was lovely to spend some time with them & rather good that, even though I pinched a chip, I only had a tiny .1 rise.
Or maybe it was a dodgy strip!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Interchanged Mon & Tues suppers but anyway…Yesterdau usual brekkie. Lunch at local pub with two friends was a small Caesar salad sans anchovies! My meal was the best of the three as Welsh Rare it with haddock on toast was cold and congealed but she accepted it. I wouldn’t have. Supper was chicken breast chunks baked with chestnut mushrooms and jar of TTD mushroom sauce. Like @IanBish and @Rachox I swerve most of the sauce and similarly l like to pour my own gravy on a roast!
@RosemaryJackson so glad you were able to figure out the cause of the allergy that was a horrible episode for you. I have eye injections regularly and while grateful for the treatment I just wish those administering them could show a bit more empathy. But thats another long story. @Annb sorry you have been feeling so rough due to maybe another allergic reaction. I think of you in your trusty chair with a blanket as my mum mobility issues and often did the same. I think when I moan about trivia you are so stoic and bear it all with such grace.
Today just had usual brekkie of slice LC toast, butter, copious tea.
Lunch will be two hard boiled eggs and hoping sandwich with LivLife bread.
Supper will be chunky cod fingers with broccoli.
@Antje77 I have been trying to figure how the magnificent Efraim helped with the fencing??

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 I have been trying to figure how the magnificent Efraim helped with the fencing??
By very(!) closely supervising everything I did to prevent me from making mistakes and having to undo them again!

1711013368456.png

Yesterday my plan was to make a Thai green curry. Never made that, but Lidl sold boxes with everything you need to make it so I thought to give it a try.
But then I remembered I'm going out for dinner at an Afghan restaurant today, a birthday present from a friend. :)
So I decided to postpone the curry, will make it tomorrow I think.

A while back I bought a low carb bread in Germany, and I still have some in the freezer. So for my main meal I tried if it would work for a 'tosti' (two slices of bread with lots of cheese and meat in the middle, pan fried). So far, every low carb bread I tried it with tasted like porridge, yuck, but with this one it was pretty acceptable! :hungry:

I hope one of my friends will visit Germany too so they can bring me more of that bread.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Proper shower day today since it is leg rebandaging day, so I can take the old bandages off and let my legs and feet feel the air and the water. Heaven!

This is also the day I weigh myself and I am down by another kilo from last week. Happy with that.

Breakfast fairly early because of going out. I had a 3 egg cheese omelette. It was going to be 2 eggs but that only left one lonely egg sitting in the tray, so I included it as well.

I think 2nd meal today will be sausage and mashed swede or celeriac (if Neil can find one for me in the shops - they don't have them very often here - too exotic maybe).

Thanks for your kind thoughts @PenguinMum. The reactions I have, I'm informed by doctors, are not allergies but intolerances (word games) because I don't develop rashes or swollen face or throat. I consider myself quite lucky because,although they make me feel pretty awful for a while, they are not dangerous, unlike my DIL - allergens send her into anaphylactic shock. I think I've got off fairly lightly.

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Coffee and cream
Coffee and unsweetened almond milk
Porchetta and cherry tomatoes
Corned Beef
Cheese, gerkins and cherry tomatoes. ( didn't realise the Gerkins were so high.)
More cheese

Last edited: