Hobbies anyone??

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
I turned my affliction into my hobby. I spend several hours each morning on forums like this one; learning a lot and passing some of it on. My other passion is travel; I wander the world as often as I can. I blog on both subjects.

Reactions: 2 people
C

chris lowe

Photography is a great hobby that I follow. It has several benefits
1. Gets you out of the house walking around for new things to photograph so good exercise
2. You look out for things of beauty that you might have missed if you were just walking
3. Evenings and rainy days can be spent with Photoshop improving the photos and reliving those glorious walks
I was quite enjoying your post until you mentioned the dreaded photoshop. When I can't get film anymore then I will hang up my camera bag.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Changing the hobby slightly, I am 66 and very afraid of the water although I love boats etc;
I need some good tips on how to overcome this fear and learn how to swim, then I could try swimming as a new hobby.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Changing the hobby slightly, I am 66 and very afraid of the water although I love boats etc;
I need some good tips on how to overcome this fear and learn how to swim, then I could try swimming as a new hobby.
Consider hydrotherapy. I have not done it myself but watched as a group of others did when I was at a public pool. It is intended as low-impact exercise for people our age (I'm 67), but it is also a way to be comfortable in shallow water for half an hour while doing an activity and getting used to being in the water.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I was quite enjoying your post until you mentioned the dreaded photoshop. When I can't get film anymore then I will hang up my camera bag.
As a traveller who takes a lot of photos I found the problem was not a lack of film years ago, but a lack of processing facilities. I switched to digital in 2005 and have not regretted it.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Consider hydrotherapy. I have not done it myself but watched as a group of others did when I was at a public pool. It is intended as low-impact exercise for people our age (I'm 67), but it is also a way to be comfortable in shallow water for half an hour while doing an activity and getting used to being in the water.
Thanks Alan, I will look into that.

Anie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a crafter too, I make cards and a few other things pin cushions, notebooks, bunting, etc and my sister in lawand I usually have a stall at a craft fair at a garden centre in November to try to raise funds to buy more stuff to create with.

This year amongst other things we are going to make Santa tags for parents to attach to their childrens's Santa sacks.

My house also looks like a tip most of the time, and I can't remember the last time we had a meal sat at our 6' dining table!!!

Just want to add, I have the most wonderfully patient husband.

Reactions: 4 people

Hayley13

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I live in the Lake District and try to spend as much of my free time as I can outdoors, walking and taking photographs of the lovely scenery.

I also love live music and going to gigs, I'm looking forward to the next Red Hot Chili Peppers tour.

I am also an avid reader, I'm currently reading the Game Of Thrones series and I'm hooked!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
I would love a decent camera but I am far too lazy to carry one around.

Reactions: 6 people

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Photo of upcycled garden table and bench, with table top tiled, but not yet grouted.
20140725 Upcycled bench and table web.jpg

Reactions: 12 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I would love a decent camera but I am far too lazy to carry one around.

Only 11 more years to go for me then !! o_O, I do such a lot of walking and physical work, hydrotherapy sounds lovely and relaxing:)

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, X Factor (and all similar shows), soaps (corrie, east enders etc), hot weather
Lenny, that sounds amazing! I didn't even know there was such a thing as a Rock Choir. I'm going to look into whether there's one in my area :)

I recently joined a Rock Choir and I'm loving it. Also have just started trying out new nail painting technics, just for me, did consider once doing a nail technician course...maybe one day. But joining the Choir was the best thing I've done for a long time.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Lenny, that sounds amazing! I didn't even know there was such a thing as a Rock Choir. I'm going to look into whether there's one in my area :)
I think there Is a national one called rockchoir.com but mine was set up by a local music school and I think It suits me better as we learn at our own pace and can have some input to the songs. We also do awesome mash ups, where we mix 2 or 3 songs together.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think there Is a national one called rockchoir.com but mine was set up by a local music school and I think It suits me better as we learn at our own pace and can have some input to the songs. We also do awesome mash ups, where we mix 2 or 3 songs together.
We have something similar in our village and while I'd love to try it I am far too self-conscious about my singing.

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does raising kids count? Hmmmmm guess that's more like a job.

I used to enjoy tinkering with computers, building them from the ground up, order parts and assemble. Couple years back I built a multi-media server installed unix and then remotely logged in with a command line shell and configured all the settings, network shares (samba) etc... Then I got board with them after a while and wanted a new challenge. (Been tinkering with them since 84)

In spring of 2013 I picked up my first DSL camera, joined a few forum sites and self thought myself the basics. By October, I switched to fully manual mode in the camera and dropped JPEG format. A year later, and 6 more lenses, I'm fully enjoying this with even more passion than when I first got it. There are soooooo many techniques, and mastering lighting and composition is going to take years. I love challenges and learning new things. It's a trait that I hope I can instil in my kids.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Making music.
Which drifted into sound engineering/recording.
Just at home.
After a few years of not doing any I've started making stuff again.
I'm fascinated that when I was young Pink Floyd needed a building to make those sounds me ... I need a room and a puter.
I sit wrapped in headphones amazed!
But ... making an original tune is where talent comes in ... hobby talent ... not the same thing sooooo .... I'm back to what I had ideas about and started trying to create ten years ago .... creating short back ground sounds for scenes advertising news reels and stuff.
When you listen to the opening of BBC News 24 ... that wee loop that is beep beep beep with some interesting swirly sounds earned the composer around ten grand ... and it isn't music ... it's sound.

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I play the alto sax and am working towards grade 3 and I've just taken up long boarding! Keeps me fit and I love it :)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I play the alto sax and am working towards grade 3 and I've just taken up long boarding! Keeps me fit and I love it :)
Ahhhh I did suspect with the name .... really!
Any stu8ff we can listen to?