What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was feeding my carb eaters vanilla Alpro for weeks and they didn't know any different. My favourite is the coconut.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
Not had ice cream since diagnosed, is this the standard alpro ice cream you are talking about. Have seen it in the shops but avoided it. Our Holland and Barrett don't sell oppo ice cream and we don't have a coop. My only pud at the mo is no sugar jelly made with cream or yoghurt, it would be nice to have something different. X

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday was a bit of a mess -- as I have been grazing pretty much all day.

Started the day off with two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and a bit of xylitol and 100 g of salted macademia nuts (felt a little sick to my stomach after so many nuts).

A couple of table spoons of homemade low carb mousse au chocolate and half a low carb role before lunch.

A low carb role with gouda, avocado and mayonnaise at 5 p.m.

A huge cornsalad (strange name because it has nothing to do with corn, very low carb) with parmesan and caesar's dressing at around 11 p.m.. The last table spoon of chocolate mousse -- made a huge bowl, which is now empty.

Blood sugars stayed in the range between 4.2 and 4.9 all day.

Reactions: Goonergal and mo53

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Yesterday was supposed to be a fasting day but I got side tracked by a cooked breakfast that Mr Chook made me.

So, today..... is a fasting day!

Breakfast: Nothing

Lunch: Nothing

Dinner: Rotisserie chicken, ham, cheese, home grown salad - romaine lettuce, huge tomato, radishes, cucumber and maybe a spoonful of Mr Chook's coleslaw

Drinks: Black coffee at breakfast time, sparkling mineral water all day then later some Prosecco

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@hca yes I think so. I found it didn't spike my bs. It is in morrisons in the free from fridge.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not had ice cream since diagnosed, is this the standard alpro ice cream you are talking about. Have seen it in the shops but avoided it. Our Holland and Barrett don't sell oppo ice cream and we don't have a coop. My only pud at the mo is no sugar jelly made with cream or yoghurt, it would be nice to have something different. X
Here's the link to them. They are popping up in most of the supermarkets now. I just have 1 scoop. Plant based so it's a high fibre content. It doesn't cause much of a rise on me so long as I stick to 1 scoop and don"t have it every day.

https://www.alpro.com/uk/products/ice-cream/vanilla

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday was supposed to be a fasting day but I got side tracked by a cooked breakfast that Mr Chook made me.

So, today..... is a fasting day!

Breakfast: Nothing

Lunch: Nothing

Dinner: Rotisserie chicken, ham, cheese, home grown salad - romaine lettuce, huge tomato, radishes, cucumber and maybe a spoonful of Mr Chook's coleslaw

Drinks: Black coffee at breakfast time, sparkling mineral water all day then later some Prosecco
We're on chicken tomorrow. Making that Fathead chicken pot pie again. May have chicken today too.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday:
B: gluten free 'small' breakfast in our fave cafe. One slice of gf toast with enough butter (how rare is the enough part?), a fried egg, two rashers bacon and a big open mushroom
L: not needed
D: a big bowl of bolognese style mince with enough additional veg in it that maybe i should be calling it ratatouille. Then a lc jelly with berries and cream.

Since i was unable to find a lc jelly that didnt have toxic waste chemical sweeteners in it, i am embarking on a DIY voyage of discovery.
This one was agar agar, hot water and my sodastream Zero cordial. Had to make it strong to get the flavour, but it wasn't great. Hence the fruit.

I'm wondering about using fruit essences and erythritol, but need to experiment.
Fruit juice is the obvious answer, but of course then they are too carby...

Edited to add: when we were kids my mother would make up some orange juice from frozen concentrate and add gelatine. With sunken satsuma segments... Happy days.

Last edited:

jojo broadie

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Breakfast: Two mugs of coffee with cream

Lunch: Corned beef (if I have any at all)

Dinner: Halloumi (cut in to chips) fried in butter with a 100% beef burger
Hi there I am interested in your no carb diet ...can you give me a few tips his to get started please....thank you

Reactions: mo53 and Chook

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday was a bit of a mess -- as I have been grazing pretty much all day.

Started the day off with two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and a bit of xylitol and 100 g of salted macademia nuts (felt a little sick to my stomach after so many nuts).

A couple of table spoons of homemade low carb mousse au chocolate and half a low carb role before lunch.

A low carb role with gouda, avocado and mayonnaise at 5 p.m.

A huge cornsalad (strange name because it has nothing to do with corn, very low carb) with parmesan and caesar's dressing at around 11 p.m.. The last table spoon of chocolate mousse -- made a huge bowl, which is now empty.

Blood sugars stayed in the range between 4.2 and 4.9 all day.

Do you have a recipe for the low carb chocolate mousse? Sounds delicious.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi there I am interested in your no carb diet ...can you give me a few tips his to get started please....thank you

Hello, here's the thread that I documented my experiment on:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/zero-carb.122996/

One big tip, which I wish I had known before I started is that Zero Carb and Metformin do not go at all well together. I am still doing ZC part time (it's great for bringing BG down) and on those days I definitely won't be taking metformin.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday:

Since i was unable to find a lc jelly that didnt have toxic waste chemical sweeteners in it, i am embarking on a DIY voyage of discovery.
This one was agar agar, hot water and my sodastream Zero cordial. Had to make it strong to get the flavour, but it wasn't great. Hence the fruit.

I'm wondering about using fruit essences and erythritol, but need to experiment.

Edited to add: when we were kids my mother would make up some orange juice from frozen concentrate and add gelatine. With sunken satsuma segments... Happy days.

Hi @Brunneria,

Maybe I can help? I am in Germany and probably would be able to get the product for you.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w
Thank you! What a lovely offer. :)

I have actually just bought some agar and am in the middle of some experiments to see what I can create at home, but if those fail, then I may well be in touch. :D

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday:
B: gluten free 'small' breakfast in our fave cafe. One slice of gf toast with enough butter (how rare is the enough part?), a fried egg, two rashers bacon and a big open mushroom
L: not needed
D: a big bowl of bolognese style mince with enough additional veg in it that maybe i should be calling it ratatouille. Then a lc jelly with berries and cream.

Just a thought, no idea what it would taste like but crusha do zero.carb milk.shake syrups banana strawberry raspberry and choc. Wonder what they would.taste like.as a jelly? As a milkshake with coconut or almond milk they are pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: Brunneria
B

badcat

Regarding the alpro ice cream / soya products in general
I have occasionally used gm free tofu and alpro soya cream but am a little more wary now - Im reading the Tim Noakes real meal revolution book (advocates lchf) Soya products, gm and non gm, are very high up on the list of foods to avoid.for a whole range of negative health impacts. Not sure its enough to stop me making our families favourite christmas meal of deep fried tofu with stirfried veg and chilli sauce, but enough to give pause for thought

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mo53

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have a recipe for the low carb chocolate mousse? Sounds delicious.

Hi @Goonergal

The chocolate mousse actually has a dual purpose since making it gives you also a good workout (my arms always get tired because it involves a lot of whipping and folding).

So, here goes:

(1) separate 6 eggs
(2) whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff.
(3) whip the egg yolkes with a quarter of a cup of xylitol (or other sweetener) until the color is light yellow and volume approximately triples.
(4) slowly melt about 50 g of cocoa butter and 125 g of butter with another quarter of a cup of xylitol or other sweetener until the sweetener dissolves (keep the temperature as cool as possible -- about 100 degrees centigrade), turn of the heat.
(5) add half a cup of cocoa fibers (about 2.5 g of carbs per 100 g) and one or two heaping table spoons of unsweetened cocoa powder to the butter mixture and mix well. (If you can't find the cocoa fibers, you can also use unsweetened cocoa exclusively, it will just be a bit higher in carbs as unsweetened cocoa powder has about 9 g of carbs). Also add some vanilla.
(6) carefully fold the cocoa mixture under the egg yolkes, be careful not to overmix and try to retain as much volume as possible.
(7) as a last step fold the egg whites under the mixture.
(8) done.
(9) let cool the mousse cool a couple of hours.
(10) enjoy!

If you decide to try it, please let me know how it turns out.

Edited to include vanilla in the recipe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Goonergal

The chocolate mousse actually has a dual purpose since making it gives you also a good workout (my arms always get tired because it involves a lot of whipping and folding).

So, here goes:

(1) separate 6 eggs
(2) whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff.
(3) whip the egg yolkes with a quarter of a cup of xylitol (or other sweetener) until the color is light yellow and volume approximately triples.
(4) slowly melt about 50 g of cocoa butter and 125 g of butter with another quarter of a cup of xylitol or other sweetener until the sweetener dissolves (keep the temperature as cool as possible -- about 100 degrees centigrade), turn of the heat.
(5) add half a cup of cocoa fibers (about 2.5 g of carbs per 100 g) and one or two heaping table spoons of unsweetened cocoa powder to the butter mixture and mix well. (If you can't find the cocoa fibers, you can also use unsweetened cocoa exclusively, it will just be a bit higher in carbs as unsweetened cocoa powder has about 9 g of carbs).
(6) carefully fold the cocoa mixture under the egg yolkes, be careful not to overmix and try to retain as much volume as possible.
(7) as a last step fold the egg whites under the mixture.
(8) done.
(9) let cool the mousse cool a couple of hours.
(10) enjoy!

If you decide to try it, please let me know how it turns out.

Thanks @ziggy_w - I'm not a baker so the only ingredients I have readily available are the eggs. I will let you knock w if I give it a go. Am thinking that the eggs with Lindt 90% might work just as well. Or even the 99% - I bought some of that this morning to see what it's like.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks @ziggy_w - I'm not a baker so the only ingredients I have readily available are the eggs. I will let you knock w if I give it a go. Am thinking that the eggs with Lindt 90% might work just as well. Or even the 99% - I bought some of that this morning to see what it's like.

Ooh - where did you get the 99%? Have you tried it yet??

I had some of the 100% from Hotel Chocolat which was..... interesting! I've not been able to find the 99%.

Reactions: Goonergal

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi @Goonergal,

Yes, of course, 90% chocolate or 99% chocolate will work as well. It'll probably even be easier if you use real chocolate instead of cocoa fibers and cocoa powder. Just melt the chocolate with some butter (steps 4 and 5).

Last edited: