What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Today was definitely the feasting after the fasting. Was planning to just eat dinner but blood sugars low and I was correspondingly hungry: woke on 4.2 and after a brief excursion up to 5.1 after my gym workout, was at 3.9 by 8.15am and down to 3.4 before dinner.

Breakfast - none
Lunch - bag of pork crunch and small bar Coop 85% chocolate
Dinner - some reheated lamb kleftico with a pile of buttered broccoli and cabbage followed by a portion of chocolate olive oil cake and cream.
Cor - what low levels no wonder you were hungry you really needed some food. Also I do think that it may well fool your body into losing weight still despite shifting things around today.

Reactions: ziggy_w

suehatton

Apart from a initial 8lb drop in the first couple of weeks, Im not really losing much. Possibly eating too big portions but generally keeping it all under 5% carb and not eating from around 7pm until mid morning. Bit downhearted but reminding myself that the blood sugars the goal and not the weight.
Brunch 2 seedy crackers with peanut butter.
L. Ham salad.
D. Chilli no rice.
Have come to bed as poorly sick

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cor - what low levels no wonder you were hungry you really needed some food. Also I do think that it may well fool your body into losing weight still despite shifting things around today.

How are you getting on at your mum’s?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Bit of an odd day today very busy and had to take my adult autistic son to the dentist always very very stressful woke up to respectable 4.4 bg but before dinner after my stressful day and an aerobics session bg had gone up to 5.1! Managed not to eat a minor miracle - especially as going to York’s tomorrow to mums another stressful experience! A break from one type of caring to another! Leaving OH here in charge of son!
Anyway dinner chicken stir fry with bean noodles followed by coffee and my last chocolate from hotel chocolate that had for Christmas a ‘going nuts’ about 3.5g carbs but tasted wicked! I needed it today

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apart from a initial 8lb drop in the first couple of weeks, Im not really losing much. Possibly eating too big portions but generally keeping it all under 5% carb and not eating from around 7pm until mid morning. Bit downhearted but reminding myself that the blood sugars the goal and not the weight.
L. Ham salad.
D. Chilli no rice.

You may find that weight loss speeds up once your sugars go down. Mine was initially slow and really sped up once I got into intermittent fasting. Just keep experimenting until you find what works, but don’t change too much at once - you need to be able to figure out which changes do what!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
L. Ham salad.
D. Chilli no rice.
It will happen just keep going it can help too to mix in a bit of intermittent fasting - with one meal a day - to push things forward but it’s down to how you feel And how stressed you are - sometimes I don’t find IF stressful some days I do and you need to do what fits your life and your targets. As you say lowering the bg is most important thing and will lead to weight loss eventually too take care hope early night helps.

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all.

Monday ...

Breakfast: Two double espressos with cream and xylitol. Cornsalad with Caesar's dressing and parmesan.

Lunch: Prawns with sambal oelek, garlic, and ginger. Cauli rice with coconut milk, green curry, lime, lime leaves, chives, ginger, coriander leaves, salt and a tiny bit of xylitol. A serving a low-carb mousse au chocolat.

Dinner: Soup with green beens, navy beans and oxtail. Some seed crackers with butter or chicken liver pate. Some mousse au chocolat.

Blood sugars were a bit higher all day (mid to high fives) -- my guess is due to a lack of exercise in the last two days or maybe a cold that is lurking.

Early morning: Ravenous, so had a piece of cheese and a small bit of 85% chocolate -- after this blood sugars came down a bit.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As I suspected , my carb heavy dinner on Sunday put me up a bit yesterday but not too bad. Bed on Sunday 5.8 FBG 6.7 but 29g carbs in one meal will do that. I returned to low 5's during the day though.
B. DD no bread breakfast sandwich and Tassimo Americano Grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing.
D. The leftover smoked salmon , prawns and anchovies with 1/2 avocado and 3 Santini tomatoes.
2 bits Lindt 90%.

Today's food ? No idea at the moment but BGs getting lower again.

nicki_484

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Fasting was 7.5 this morning
For breakfast I had 30g of porridge with skimmed milk and 40g blueberries and a benecol drink

2 hours after I was 5.9

Does this mean my body has used insulin effectively? I know porridge isn't low carb but it releases slower.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Fasting was 7.5 this morning
For breakfast I had 30g of porridge with skimmed milk and 40g blueberries and a benecol drink

2 hours after I was 5.9

Does this mean my body has used insulin effectively? I know porridge isn't low carb but it releases slower.
If I was 5.9 after porridge I'd be ecstatic but I'm not. I would head up to 9 or 10 with porridge and the bother is I'd stay high for a long time. Maybe you're one of the lucky ones who can tolerate it. Just keep an eye on it.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

More feasting today.

Breakfast - none

Lunch - bag of pork crunch, peperami, small bar Coop 85% chocolate. Need to sort out some better lunch options for when I haven’t planned to eat/am on the run.

Dinner - very decadent. Sea bass fillet with a portion of Asda broccoli and courgette rice (also has spinach in it). Saw it the other day and thought it was worth a try. Quite nice (although needs a lot of seasoning), with a bit of crunch - https://groceries.asda.com/product/default/2-steam-bags-broccoli-courgette-rice/1000005038850 - followed by a Lidl protein roll with almond butter and a small slice of chocolate olive oil cake with cream.

Should keep me well fuelled for my early morning gym visit in the morning.

suehatton

Meeting today and knew I wouldnt be able to eat unil 12.30 so had a spoon of peanutbutter on a cracker before I left the house. Turned out to be 1.30 and was ravenous!! Egg salad with 3 tiny pepperoni slices, then greek yog with walnuts.
Home to chicken thigh and stir fry veg and already in bed again with this rotten flu thingy

suehatton

Hi all.

More feasting today.

Breakfast - none

Lunch - bag of pork crunch, peperami, small bar Coop 85% chocolate. Need to sort out some better lunch options for when I haven’t planned to eat/am on the run.

Dinner - very decadent. Sea bass fillet with a portion of Asda broccoli and courgette rice (also has spinach in it). Saw it the other day and thought it was worth a try. Quite nice (although needs a lot of seasoning), with a bit of crunch - https://groceries.asda.com/product/default/2-steam-bags-broccoli-courgette-rice/1000005038850 - followed by a Lidl protein roll with almond butter and a small slice of chocolate olive oil cake with cream.

Should keep me well fuelled for my early morning gym visit in the morning.
That rice looks fab!!!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.3 FBG 6 and headed back into the 4's today. Had a lot of running about to do today.
B. The usual DD no bread breakfast sandwich and Tassimo Americano Grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing
D. Hubby made another huge pot of soup with chicken , leek and potato. He had the potato in large bits so I managed to fish it out and had the soup with a slice of Hovis lower carb seeded. Don't really want anything else.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all.

Tuesday ...

Breakfast: Two double espressos with cream and xylitol. Some DD seed crackers with butter.

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack: Two squares of 85% chocolate.

Dinner: Cauli rice with butter and tahini. About 100g of lamb. Mousse au chocolat. Some pecan nuts. Two glasses of red wine.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Phew back safe after hectic couple of days with mum. Trains back down south today dreadful and stuck on cold platforms up north with snow showers! Thank heavens I had a flask of coffee.
Tuesday managed to stick to two meals I popped into m and s on way and got suitable treat stuff! Lunch gammon eggs and mushrooms,chips for mum, dinner advocado and prawn salad with bread for mum also bought raspberries and cream so could have these while mum had her trifle! At least I was eating so kept her quieter. Didn’t take bg readings as knew would be erratic.....
Today nuts and cheese lunch, dinner just on return pork saltimboca, celeriac chips and mushroom sauce. Feel like I’ve been away a week! Bg higher before dinner but very stressful day so sure will fall back again.
Funny thing is mum has a daily mirror each day and believes anything in there and this morning when I browsed it there was a positive article about Keto way of eating for epilepsy and also one about importance of having full fat rather than skimmed milk for heart health all helps her to not see me as completely nutty! Got lots of comments though including statements such as you can lose too much weight you know especially when you’re getting old!! And I was feeling sprightly and fit when I arrived!

Reactions: maglil55