What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bed 3.4 FBG 3.6. My fingers are getting sore checking this. At least I know I'll come up a bit today as I'll have an alcoholic drink and haggis.
B. DD no bread breakfast sandwich and Tassimo Americano Grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing
D. Campari and soda and a wee prosecco. Smoked salmon with king prawns and Marie rose. Haggis and Neeps (will make cauliflower mash if I can be bothered). A slightly adapted cranachan. ( whipped cream flavoured with a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Stir gently through fresh raspberries. Spread some oats/spelt on greaseproof on a baking tray and mix through a granulated sweetener. Bake it in an oven until the sweetener caramelises, allow to cool then give it a quick blitz. Don't reduce it to powder you just want to break it up a bit. Mix some of this in at the last minute and sprinkle some on top. Don't go mad , this is where the carbs are although fibre is high. It's also rather nice with a measure of Jack Daniels Honey liqueur through it.)
You’ve made me think about Campari as I have a bottle and normally drink gin with my soda! Did the check and it’s zero carbs so will be going for it later. I I used to drink it with fresh orange juice one of my five a day until found out it isn’t helpful! Looks like someone is having a burns type dinner and celebration enjoy

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You’ve made me think about Campari as I have a bottle and normally drink gin with my soda! Did the check and it’s zero carbs so will be going for it later. I I used to drink it with fresh orange juice one of my five a day until found out it isn’t helpful! Looks like someone is having a burns type dinner and celebration enjoy
Correct - we're always the nearest Sunday to Burns night. I used to drink campari with orange or lemonade until I adapted to the bitter taste. Then I moved into bitter lemon and finally soda which I've taken since my mid 20's. Very much an aquired taste.

Reactions: shelley262

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Goodness, i love bitter lemon. It has been YEARS. It is either sugar loaded or sweetener loaded, so i gave it up. :arghh:

10am scram egg on a slice of gf toast. Couldnt finish the toast.
6pm thin beef rib, cooked with an onion, a tin of toms and butternut squash. May have a spoon of the veg mix.
Followed by kefir

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Correct - we're always the nearest Sunday to Burns night. I used to drink campari with orange or lemonade until I adapted to the bitter taste. Then I moved into bitter lemon and finally soda which I've taken since my mid 20's. Very much an aquired taste.
Happy burns night just sipped the Campari and soda it’s delicious thank you for idea

Reactions: ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bed 3.4 FBG 3.6. My fingers are getting sore checking this. At least I know I'll come up a bit today as I'll have an alcoholic drink and haggis.
B. DD no bread breakfast sandwich and Tassimo Americano Grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing
D. Campari and soda and a wee prosecco. Smoked salmon with king prawns and Marie rose. Haggis and Neeps (will make cauliflower mash if I can be bothered). A slightly adapted cranachan. ( whipped cream flavoured with a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Stir gently through fresh raspberries. Spread some oats/spelt on greaseproof on a baking tray and mix through a granulated sweetener. Bake it in an oven until the sweetener caramelises, allow to cool then give it a quick blitz. Don't reduce it to powder you just want to break it up a bit. Mix some of this in at the last minute and sprinkle some on top. Don't go mad , this is where the carbs are although fibre is high. It's also rather nice with a measure of Jack Daniels Honey liqueur through it.)

Wonderfully low number recently, @maglil55. Congrats, really well done. Are you doing anything differently?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wonderfully low number recently, @maglil55. Congrats, really well done. Are you doing anything differently?
I'm eating because I have to but not a lot. Carbs most of the time have been really, really low. It's not deliberate I'm caring for an Ill sibling as well as normal grandchildren requirements so I've been quite stressed. The oddity is usually my bloods go up when I'm stressed - this time they are plummeting. There's been a few days now I've had to skip meds because I'm too low. I've lost weight as well which is probably contributing.
So, not ideal circumstances but I'm keeping a close eye on it. As I said it will go up a bit tonight as the carbs are above 20g for the day.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all. Managed one meal again phew was a close run thing. Still only one more day to go and then at mums who won’t entertain me missing meals! Luckily get there at lunch on Tuesday and leave following late morning so will be able to get away with two per day! Also does help to fool body a bit I find to change things around.
Dinner Campari and soda while cooking thanks @maglil55 lovely - followed by cauliflower cheese - went with your recipe @Goonergal today will try yours @maglil55 when in a hurry but had big oven on anyway. It was gorgeous @Goonergal although I was very generous with cream and cheese but it worked well. Had with a steak and a mushroom sauce made with butter and cream. Hoping higher fat will keep me full!
Coffee and two buttons planned for later.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Sticking to one meal a day so no breakfast or lunch.

For dinner I experimented with a new recipe for bolognese as my previous one had become unbearably sweet. Used fresh tomatoes instead of tinned, and a lot less of them and added in some chopped courgettes to add a bit of bulk. Tasted good, but it wasn’t bolognese - closer to the meaty bit of shepherds pie, so felt a bit strange eating it with courgetti! So it was the new sauce, courgetti topped with cheese. Dessert was chocolate olive oil cake with cream. The nicest one I’ve made so far.

@maglil55 - great levels. Wondered whether that cauliflower mash you make would freeze? It might be a better accompaniment to this sauce.

Glad you enjoyed the cauliflower cheese @shelley262

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Sticking to one meal a day so no breakfast or lunch.

For dinner I experimented with a new recipe for bolognese as my previous one had become unbearably sweet. Used fresh tomatoes instead of tinned, and a lot less of them and added in some chopped courgettes to add a bit of bulk. Tasted good, but it wasn’t bolognese - closer to the meaty bit of shepherds pie, so felt a bit strange eating it with courgetti! So it was the new sauce, courgetti topped with cheese. Dessert was chocolate olive oil cake with cream. The nicest one I’ve made so far.

@maglil55 - great levels. Wondered whether that cauliflower mash you make would freeze? It might be a better accompaniment to this sauce.

Glad you enjoyed the cauliflower cheese @shelley262
I’ve also had probs with tomatoes @Goonergal but produce a better sauce I think by using sun dried tomatoes. Because those in oil are a bit suspect with poor quality oil I buy a packet of sun dried tomatoes on their own and then soak them in extra virgin olive oil for a few days and use them along with some fresh tomatoes and I also add chopped black olives plus a bit of pesto it tastes more Mediterranean and goes so well with bean fettuccine!

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - green smoothie - never thought I'd enjoy green smoothies but I do!
Lunch - tofu with salad - used smoked tofu and it was yum
Tea - salmon with a pesto crust (made using ground almonds) and veg

Can anyone share with me their recipe for cauliflower cheese? Hearing about it is making me totally crave some - I would LOVE some, I'm a bit dairy intolerant but as a one-off treat should be ok

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Can anyone share with me their recipe for cauliflower cheese? Hearing about it is making me totally crave some - I would LOVE some, I'm a bit dairy intolerant but as a one-off treat should be ok

Hi @eggs11

My cauliflower cheese recipe is very simple - pre-boil cauliflower (but not for too long), add to an ovenproof dish and add a dash of cream for moisture then top with a generous helping of cheese. For a dish of around 200 or so grams of cauliflower, I add about 35mls cream, 70g cheddar and a sprinkling of Parmesan. Bake for about 40 minutes.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @eggs11

My cauliflower cheese recipe is very simple - pre-boil cauliflower (but not for too long), add to an ovenproof dish and add a dash of cream for moisture then top with a generous helping of cheese. For a dish of around 200 or so grams of cauliflower, I add about 35mls cream, 70g cheddar and a sprinkling of Parmesan. Bake for about 40 minutes.
And it’s excellent

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

And here's the one I use. Just don't mash it. There's another version same process but use smoked cheese and crispy bacon crumbled on top.

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/better-than-potatoes-cheesy-cauliflower/

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @eggs11

brilliant - thanks!

L1ncslass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
LCHF with 18:6 IF
'Bfast' mid morning 2x Bulletproof coffees
Dinner was Bacon, Sausage, scrambled egg & butter, mushroom 1/2 tomato & 1/4 avocado fried in coconut oil
Tea was 1/3rd Bacon & Brie pasty [made with Fat Head dough] broccoli and shredded sprouts sautéed in butter, followed by cheese a 4 Almond & Parmesan crackers
total carbs 10.84g

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all.

Sunday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with milk and xylitol. Tuna salad with mayonnaise and celery, scrambled eggs with fennel and mushrooms.

Lunch: Nothing.

Made some low-carb mousse au chocolat in the afternoon. Used erythritol instead of xylitol for the first time. Taste was great, but texture not so much, a bit clumpy. Have to figure out what to change. Had quite a lot of the mousse in the afternoon.

Dinner: Homemade soup with green beans, navy beans, oxtail, beef broth, tarragon, tomato paste, ginger, adobo chili paste. Half a DD keto roll with butter. A glass of wine.

Late night snack: DD keto crackers with butter or liver pate.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Today was definitely the feasting after the fasting. Was planning to just eat dinner but blood sugars low and I was correspondingly hungry: woke on 4.2 and after a brief excursion up to 5.1 after my gym workout, was at 3.9 by 8.15am and down to 3.4 before dinner.

Breakfast - none
Lunch - bag of pork crunch and small bar Coop 85% chocolate
Dinner - some reheated lamb kleftico with a pile of buttered broccoli and cabbage followed by a portion of chocolate olive oil cake and cream.