What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah thanks - somehow missed the link when scrolling through.
I think my breast will be too big to cover with liquid ( ooh! Matron!) so I’ll probably have to defrost it first.
Did the fat render down? I usually cook this sort of joint long and slow and worried if I did it in The IP I ‘d end up with a lump of boiled fat.

Saved @DCUKMod recipe for shoulder of lamb to use also.

YMMV? Sorry I’m rubbish at acronyms

DJC3 - If I recall, @Brunneria does shoulder joints fairly regularly, and may have done breast too, so she may comment, in due course.

When I started off, everything I cooked was prefaced by "this is an experiment...." and it's fair to say there were a few things went onto the "Let's not bother with that again" list.

As you can imagine, with the delayed start and the keep warm facility, it really comes into its own in winter. The number of times I've just felt like some soup, so lobbed in a splash of water, some frozen stock, whatever veg is hanging around, and any cold cuts there might be, with some seasoning, and jabbed the Soup button really mount up. A quick whizz with the stick blender and there is a vat of deliciousness.

I also always have a vat of this on the go as a very, very easy means of seasoning almost anything: http://www.feistytapas.com/2017/02/homemade-vegetable-stock-paste-instantpot-thermomix.html

In fact, I save my parmesan ends (clip top container in the freezer) for this, because once they've been grated and cooked down, they've done their job of adding flavour and a bit of texture beautifully.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mrs P says the fat was gone into the water so with other liquid it would make a very nice gravy/stock whatever. As for the acronym your mileage may vary - aka we all have different opinions and tastes. Mine are very quotidian.

Thanks for Mrs P’s input, that is reassuring.
As for your acronyms, I reckon you make them up as you go along!

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried Rooibos Red Bush tea? I read this on
https://blog.bulletproof.com/rooibos-tea-benefits-weight-loss/
yesterday
"Another study over a six-week period showed that drinking six cups of rooibos tea daily significantly increased total polyphenol levels, which improved HDL “good” cholesterol. It also lowered “bad” LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, another lipid found in your blood."
so bought some to give it a go, today: it might help (for next time)!
@GrumpyOldPhart Thank you for sharing this, worth a try, nice to have a variety of things to drink.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No dig inferred at all and no need to apologise. Likewise hope my reply didn’t come across as anything other than informative (internet not helpful for conveying tone!)

I feel lucky that I do enjoy this way of eating. It suits me - I like plain, simple food and can’t be doing with superfluous ingredients or overly strong flavours. Now that I’ve given up the main carbs, for the most part I don’t miss them: on Saturday tucking in to my bunless burger in Shake Shack, I wondered why I’d ever thought that I even needed the bun and fries as I was completely full.

On the fasting front, it’s actually liberated me - prior to Keto and fasting (and associated disappearance of migraines), I was completely hamstrung by the ‘need’ to eat and obsessed with ensuring I wouldn’t be delayed in getting my next meal. Now, some would argue I’ve replaced one obsession with another, but this one feels so much healthier and allows me to do so much more.

I really hope you can figure out your eating so you feel the same way - you’re such a source of humour, support and good advice on here.
Shake Shack burgers are very nice, we discovered them on our last trip to New York.
I am hoping we might find one when we are in Fort Lauderdale in October. If we don't I do remember seeing one at JFK so if we don't find one until we fly home I will have one then. We have a night flight so if I top up on one of these I can avoid the in flight meals :)

Reactions: Pipp and ianpspurs

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank for the friendly reply and I am really happy that you have found your sweet spot with eating this way.
In general I think we are on the same page re relatively simple food. My biggest struggle is not with the obvious forms of carbs e.g. potatoes, rice, pasta, bread but vegetables and fruit. I always ate huge amounts of those but since looking at carbs I have massively reduced the range and amount of them. (I would by choice easily blow 20 gms carb on green veg at most meals and instinctively feel uneasy that I no longer do this). Clearly this works for weight loss but I don't see the numbers showing it as very efficient for bg control and I think it gives a real roller coaster ride of energy. I seem to have lost my way around April/May with the fasting OMAD adventures. Must stick to Healey's law of holes.
PS: Read this yesterday and seemed to link to the rissoles posts and in my mind why lots of us are here
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/13/britain-food-world-recipes @shelley262 and her mum's comment about the way we used to eat.
@ianpspurs
I, like you miss fruit most of all and lovely fresh bread, I am happy to not eat pasta and rice but occasionally find myself dreaming of eating lovely fresh pineapple, juicy mango or a lovely slice of still warm freshly baked bread.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
@ianpspurs
I, like you miss fruit most of all and lovely fresh bread, I am happy to not eat pasta and rice but occasionally find myself dreaming of eating lovely fresh pineapple, juicy mango or a lovely slice of still warm freshly baked bread.

STOP IT!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried Rooibos Red Bush tea? I read this on
https://blog.bulletproof.com/rooibos-tea-benefits-weight-loss/
yesterday
"Another study over a six-week period showed that drinking six cups of rooibos tea daily significantly increased total polyphenol levels, which improved HDL “good” cholesterol. It also lowered “bad” LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, another lipid found in your blood."
so bought some to give it a go, today: it might help (for next time)!
thanks for the information - I drink green tea a lot throughout the day to help out and also a small glass of red wine some evenings! My HDL is high so just mainly targetting the LDL

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs
@jayney27 Sounds as though you miss fruit quite a bit. My issue is we have 8 varieties of apple in our garden and 2 types of pears. I have sadly felled 3 types of plum tree since dx including a greengage remembered fondly by all my cousins. We also have rhubarb and blackberries.
This year the apple trees are as heavily laden as I can ever remember, especially russets which I love. I feel a blackberry and apple crumble will be in order early October with lots of cream and so* the bg:angelic:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@jayney27 Sounds as though you miss fruit quite a bit. My issue is we have 8 varieties of apple in our garden and 2 types of pears. I have sadly felled 3 types of plum tree since dx including a greengage remembered fondly by all my cousins. We also have rhubarb and blackberries.
This year the apple trees are as heavily laden as I can ever remember, especially russets which I love. I feel a blackberry and apple crumble will be in order early October with lots of cream and so* the bg:angelic:
I agree with the so* the BG attitude, I am quite sure the pleasure you get from eating the crumble will outweigh the short term angst over your numbers. They will only be raised for a fleeting moment in time, we all deserve a treat now and then.
It is hard though, I am now so conditioned/controlled that even when my numbers are within my comfort zone I struggle to step outside the lines and eat anything that might increase them, even if its only temporary.
I need to remind myself that occasional blips will not damage me and that I was running round quite happily with diabetes before diagnoses and might still be, but for a random blood test, life and its ups and downs are certainly sent to try us. I also appreciate that the diagnoses has had a very positive impact on my health and for that I am thankful, I just wish we could stop time now and then, just long enough to enjoy some of our favourite things and not have to worry about the numbers.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Here’s a low carb crumble recipe, I’ve only done it with strawberries. I don’t cook the strawberries before putting them in the dish and I add no extra liquid as I find strawberries are soft and juicy enough just putting them in raw and adding the crumble topping.
https://stepawayfromthecarbs.com/low-carb-rhubarb-crumble/

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the so* the BG attitude, I am quite sure the pleasure you get from eating the crumble will outweigh the short term angst over your numbers. They will only be raised for a fleeting moment in time, we all deserve a treat now and then.
It is hard though, I am now so conditioned/controlled that even when my numbers are within my comfort zone I struggle to step outside the lines and eat anything that might increase them, even if its only temporary.
I need to remind myself that occasional blips will not damage me and that I was running round quite happily with diabetes before diagnoses and might still be, but for a random blood test, life and its ups and downs are certainly sent to try us. I also appreciate that the diagnoses has had a very positive impact on my health and for that I am thankful, I just wish we could stop time now and then, just long enough to enjoy some of our favourite things and not have to worry about the numbers.
Interestingly, looking back at my previous HbA1c levels, Dec 2016 was O.K ish @ 5.6. That autumn I ate the apples we grew most lunch times and experimented with crumble. Strangely I was much more comfortable with the WOE - dumb ox that I am I am now too mindful of next test to relax and do the same:banghead:
Thanks @Rachox the topping is along the lines I was planning. I mix flaxseed and inulin and leave for a while - it goes quite crunchy anyhow so that would work. Might ad some chopped walnuts for extra crunch.
Re crumblegate: August 10th 2016 apple crumble was had for dessert after dinner and result was 6.2 at 2 hrs, daily average was 5.7; I weighed nearly 1 stone more and did 60 mins static biking. Not that I have detailed records:angelic: Notes did say the crumble was lovely

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Quickly catching up in between work and swimming. Will have a proper read through later.

@ianpspurs hope you are able to resolve your carbs/fruit/veg conundrum

@jayney27 I actually prefer Five Guys burgers - until they and Shake Shack arrived here, they were always my first stop on a visit to the US. Is it sad that I know the Shake Shack at JFK is in terminal 4 near the B gates?

To get back on topic, today’s menu was:

Lunch - M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos and 2 boiled eggs

Dinner - pan fried sea bass fillet with buttered cabbage followed by lazy dessert with extra thick double cream mixed with almond butter and 2 Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons

Reactions: Pipp and maglil55

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Quickly catching up in between work and swimming. Will have a proper read through later.

@ianpspurs hope you are able to resolve your carbs/fruit/veg conundrum

@jayney27 I actually prefer Five Guys burgers - until they and Shake Shack arrived here, they were always my first stop on a visit to the US. Is it sad that I know the Shake Shack at JFK is in terminal 4 near the B gates?

To get back on topic, today’s menu was:

Lunch - M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos and 2 boiled eggs

Dinner - pan fried sea bass fillet with buttered cabbage followed by lazy dessert with extra thick double cream mixed with almond butter and 2 Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons
One of My daughters rates five guys, I think my nearest one is 80 miles away lol will have to stick to own home made for now :)

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening fellow menu sharers. Had the chance to take my dogs on our favourite walk today. It is only possible after harvest and before ploughing but gives them total freedom of about 4-500 acres. No readings and no analysis today. Whether by coincidence or not enjoyed the food. Menu below with an estimate of carbs. Please feel free to point out if I am way too low:

Pre Breakfast Smaller sized bucket but several fillings of tea
Breakfast: Fluffy omelette (2 eggs) with smoked chicken sausage
Mid morning snack: Filter coffee with 20 mls cream;
Lunch: Tea (just the 2 pints - no need to be excessive); avocado and beef salad with plenty of olive oil and chia seeds.
Afternoon snack: H/M high fibre inulin and flaxseed bar
Evening meal: IP Pork belly in h/m barbeque sauce; buttered cabbage; hunk cheese 40 gms?
I would estimate 35-40 gms carb tops but let me know if too low estimate

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Try Smash Burger, they are hands down the best I've had, even better than the fabulous (and expensive) Five Guys. I happen to know there is one on DeKalb Avenue in Brooklyn and one by the Empire State Building. I may or may not have frequented both regularly when I spent a summer there.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Feeling grotty again, sugars were up in the 8s until dinner time again, although I'm starting to think I'm eating the wrong thing at breakfast and might need more fat there.

B - SF jelly and cream
L - Salami and Maasdam cheese
D - A gorgeous ribeye, fried mushrooms and a small salad. Half a pot of Waitrose peppercoen sauce (5g carbs). Still mulling over what pudding to have...mint Oppo or 85% choc