Post your annoyances to vent!

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It isn't the assumption that I used to be obese, it's the assumption that all forms of diabetes are caused by obesity. As far as I know, T2 is the only flavour associated with obesity so the above automatically applies to everyone other than T2's. I am far from an expert about T2, but I am aware that there are a lot of T2's who aren't obese. And vice versa. Equally I'm sure there are some who are 'self inflicted' by being over weight; if that's you waving your arm to say 'that's me!' - I take my hat off to you for your honesty and self responsibility. But there are plenty on this forum who don't identify with that scenario and I'm in no position to disagree with them.
Type 1's can also get obese from taking to much insulin. It isn't just a type 2 thing.

Reactions: briped

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried telling her to shut the f*** up? That usually gets a result.
I would if I could get a word in. She just charges over anything I try to say. Nothing I say changes her opinion anyway.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As it's my thread, and I allowed all diverting in the starting post as well, I feel I can post an opposite-of-annoying experience too: For some unclear reason I always do short acting in my belly and long acting in my thigh. I hate injecting in my thigh.
Today was the perfect situation of being slightly intoxicated by booze and being annoyed by something happening on Facebook , which finally made me find the courage to inject my basal in my arm! Now I wonder why I didn't do that before, so much better than my leg!

Reactions: Kikeena_

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It’s not just a statement of fact in these cases though is it. Because it implies being fat caused the diabetes. Which implies it’s all your own fault, lack of sympathy/empathy, draining the nhs etc etc. The press has ingrained this blame far beyond what I believe the facts justify.

Personally I think my life choices had some effect but I believe genetics/luck, call it what you will, also did. I took better care of myself than many do but it still happened.

Yeah, I get all that. I just needed to make sure that's really what @Shiba Park meant, and have to conclude that if one day I really have a craving for feeling stigmatised and ashamed I'd head for the tabloids, not for my favourite online forum :sour:

type1gabs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This may be a controversial one, but when someone says 'type 2 and type 1 are equally as bad' ummm i would prefer to have an actual chance to avtually get in remission but with having type 1 for alll my life, i knowni cant be cured and have to have injections, blood tests for the rest of my life (before someone kicks.off, i know some type 2s cant get into remission, im just saying generally speaking!)

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
but why do you think it an insult to the entire diabetic population?

I don't think being called obese is an insult, it is what it is, I am obese. Assuming you must have been obese to be type II is just showing ignorance and can be irritating if not insulting. Thanks to the likes of Jo Brand, Stephen Fry etc who are actually proud of the rubbish they eat and how much they eat we all get tarred with the same brush. It's the assumption that all obese people have obviously eaten far too much of the wrong things that's really annoying. Most people seem to be stuck with the idea that you can only gain weight by overeating, whatever overeating is. My Basic Metabolic Rate is 2400 cals per days and I've not been able to eat that for decades. There are other factors affecting weight like insulin, cortisol, estrogen, gut bacteria diversity and even toxins in the things we handle (fire retardants in furniture and clothing for example) and therefore the assumption that we all eat too much is irritating to say the least.

Last edited:

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1's can also get obese from taking to much insulin. It isn't just a type 2 thing.
Well I guess you're now talking about someone with more going on than just T1; if a 'standard' T1 takes too much insulin then they hypo...

But I agree that T1 and obesity are not mutually exclusive.

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, I get all that. I just needed to make sure that's really what @Shiba Park meant, and have to conclude that if one day I really have a craving for feeling stigmatised and ashamed I'd head for the tabloids, not for my favourite online forum :sour:
No-one posts on this forum to make a fellow member feel "stigmatised and ashamed". If I've inadvertently made you feel like this, call out what you have taken umbrage to and allow me to correct it.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
When and if I mention that I am diabetic people tend to assume either T1 or T2 very few people realize that diabetes comes in many flavours not just two.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Meant to have been October but delayed as the SHO (that did ****** all) is on holiday and not back til December!!

I met with the Clinical Director and got all my answers and apologies and really now it’s a formality now. Just that it fall s on our anniversary date!!

Some inquests have taken 3 years!! Our area has amalgamated two offices and this has caused delays too, but hopefully some costs...

Took a photo on a lake walk the other day, was thinking that it was the first time I had gone round the lake since John died... took photo and this bright blue light dazzled momentarily whilst I took photo!!!
View attachment 29476

Nothing there before and nothing the after!! Got to be a sign that he there with me....miss him so much every day.
I've experienced sunbeams which warmed my body in a very stressful time. They followed me then was gone. I do believe someone I knew very well was watching over me. Too.
I'm thinking of you. You remarkable lady.
There were some quite a few deaths in my family in the noughties, in all seven!
After all the trauma and sadness, me and the wife took ourselves away to the Lakes just to getaway from the humdrum of daily life and the pains of those still living. (Big family!)
I like to walk and was having a struggle with my weight and health at the time, I would be misdiagnosed the following year with T2! So, I decided to go on a hill walk, over one of the Lakes near Keswick, but not Derwent water, I think bassenthwaite water. However I became slightly lost, and I found this small picnic area, with a bench looking over a weird at the foot of this hill, as I said I was struggling with my health, and became tired, so I sat down on this bench and as the saying goes contemplated life and my part in it!
I fell asleep and was awoken by something, I'm not sure, but the sun was shining and I was really warm and sweating in my walking clothes.
But and this is true, my outlook on life completely changed from that moment on, it became more positive, no more negativity and I had a wife and kids and grandkids to live for, I got a kick in the pants, I got my determination back and I was empowered to do something more than live in the past, live in the real world and stop feeling sorry for myself.
It took another four years to get a definitive diagnosis, I never stopped asking questions of my doctors, I got lead down the wrong path, but got back my life, my health and I really needed what happened to me that day.
My guardian angel(?) helped me get my health, my life and the determination to go and get a good job and be proud of what I do and how I help my family.
I want to thank you both for your posts, because I have been so busy lately and have just remembered how I got here now. An inspiration! Another reminder of why my life has changed for the better. Thanks again!

Best wishes.

Reactions: SamJB and Antje77

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Comically annoying when my........ blo**y ...... gets edited for language and yet ........ f*** up. ...... appears to be acceptable.
I suppose it’s like Santa’s xmas list.
You’re either naughty or nice in the eyes of some people.

D

Deleted member 308541

Comically annoying when my........ blo**y ...... gets edited for language and yet ........ f*** up. ...... appears to be acceptable.
I suppose it’s like Santa’s xmas list.
You’re either naughty or nice in the eyes of some people.
I find this happens a lot in the Jokes and Humour section, some members can post suggestive jokes and humour but mine get edited / deleted etc.

I think it is a anti colonial thing, suggestive of me being an uncouth Australian. :meh:

Reactions: therower

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A 'spontaneous' day out, you know that last minute "Shall we go too......." turns into nothing but as you:

Check your BSL
Check you've got snacks,
Check you've got insulin,
Check you've got enough insulin,
Check you got all the contact numbers you need,
Check you various meters have power and test strips,
Check you have something to carry it all in

And because you have taken so long to sort all that **** you go "you know what can't be ***** lets just stay in and have a brew" :hilarious:
Know that one well knikki

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As it's my thread, and I allowed all diverting in the starting post as well, I feel I can post an opposite-of-annoying experience too: For some unclear reason I always do short acting in my belly and long acting in my thigh. I hate injecting in my thigh.
Today was the perfect situation of being slightly intoxicated by booze and being annoyed by something happening on Facebook , which finally made me find the courage to inject my basal in my arm! Now I wonder why I didn't do that before, so much better than my leg!
This has an annoying part as well. As much as I know how much better I liked it in my arm, it still scares me. So now I'm nervous already for the injection that lies at least three hours in the future (said the person who doesn't mind injecting their short acting anywhere between 6 and 15 times a day.)
Stupid isn't it?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This may be a controversial one, but when someone says 'type 2 and type 1 are equally as bad' ummm i would prefer to have an actual chance to avtually get in remission but with having type 1 for alll my life, i knowni cant be cured and have to have injections, blood tests for the rest of my life (before someone kicks.off, i know some type 2s cant get into remission, im just saying generally speaking!)

I get where you are coming from, my condition has no cure, I will probably in my dotage develope type two, which I believe is a natural progression of my endocrine system, and the way I metabolise food.
You could say I'm in remission but my system cannot take a break or a treat, I have to be careful what goes down my throat, and the constant reminder of what I can't eat can sometimes be an distraction, but I have the will power to overcome this and the constant good health and blood glucose levels are my reasons for my determination to keep my health in good condition!

We all have our cross to bear!

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
When Netflix will play 4k fine and free view catchup says not enough bandwidth.

Oh and if one more person suggests wholemeal or rye bread I will break something.