What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone, sorry I didn’t post yesterday, the evening ran away from me as I was busy putting the final sections of my application together. I submitted it this afternoon ;)
Coffee with cream and almond milk, fage 5% yogurt and a sprinkle of morning boost seeds
Lunch consisted of baked eggs with ham, cheese, tomato and spring onion, pork scratchings
Dinner celeriac mash and pork & chorizo meatballs
Cheese and small pack of marmite crackers, naughty treat :)
Hope the application is successful and proves to be a rewarding role.

Reactions: Chook

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
02D6B469-C812-442D-AD33-89E946BB889B.jpeg D6511C50-E3E2-4434-9FCC-04B8BF0BCA7C.jpeg Quite industrious in the kitchen today. I made a huge batch of hickory spiced almonds and pecans (seriously moreish!), which should keep us going for a while. I also made a batch of Pecan Butter Cookies (recipe from www.alldayidreamaboutfood.com) which taste really nice, but already trying to work out how to improve them.

Breakfast: Almond & vanilla chia pud. Coffee and cream.
Lunch: Waitrose harissa pomegranate chicken skewers, chorizo and mexicana rollitos, sliced beef, avocado, cherry toms, baby gem.
Snacks: Butter pecan cookie and a few nuts (for testing purposes!).
Dinner: Shepherd's pie (leftover lamb shoulder) with celeriac and swede cheesy topping. Butter pecan cookie and decaf coffee.

Reactions: Hungry19 and Chook

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 31100 View attachment 31101 Quite industrious in the kitchen today. I made a huge batch of hickory spiced almonds and pecans (seriously moreish!), which should keep us going for a while. I also made a batch of Pecan Butter Cookies (recipe from www.alldayidreamaboutfood.com) which taste really nice, but already trying to work out how to improve them.

Lunch: Waitrose harissa pomegranate chicken skewers, chorizo and mexicana rollitos, sliced beef, avocado, cherry toms, baby gem.
Dinner: Shepherd's pie (leftover lamb shoulder) with celeriac and swede cheesy topping. Butter pecan cookie and decaf coffee.
That shepherd's pie topping has become our favourite - better than potato IMHO.

Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 31100 View attachment 31101 Quite industrious in the kitchen today. I made a huge batch of hickory spiced almonds and pecans (seriously moreish!), which should keep us going for a while. I also made a batch of Pecan Butter Cookies (recipe from www.alldayidreamaboutfood.com) which taste really nice, but already trying to work out how to improve them.

THEy look delicious - wonder if substituting coconut flour with ph may work? May have a try. Let me know if you make any successful adaptations not done sweet biscuits in a while

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do you make your chia puddings? Mine are always a bit flavourless
I use a 65ml Benecol drink as my base, kill two birds with one stone! There’s two no added sugar flavoured ones raspberry and peach. With those I just add 4 tsp of chia seeds and leave in the fridge overnight. Alternatively I use a natural flavour one and add a teaspoon of orange or lemon extract. I have recently started making a coffee one by adding a level tsp of espresso powder and a tsp of xylitol.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold Chinese style pork with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: lemon chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: liver and bacon with mixed veg followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a 65ml Benecol drink as my base, kill two birds with one stone! There’s two no added sugar flavoured ones raspberry and peach. With those I just add 4 tsp of chia seeds and leave in the fridge overnight. Alternatively I use a natural flavour one and add a teaspoon of orange or lemon extract. I have recently started making a coffee one by adding a level tsp of espresso powder and a tsp of xylitol.
Thanks @Rachox

Reactions: Hungry19

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That shepherd's pie topping has become our favourite - better than potato IMHO.
Do you steam or boil the swede and celeriac before mashing? Traditional masher or immersion blender whizzy wand thing? I always use my wand, as I find celeriac goes lumpy if I try to use a masher. But it does end up more of a purée than a mash.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
THEy look delicious - wonder if substituting coconut flour with ph may work? May have a try. Let me know if you make any successful adaptations not done sweet biscuits in a while
I can report back that a drizzle of chocolate on them enhanced them no end! They could do with being a bit firmer (they are very short), so that's what I want to work on.

Reactions: Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Do you steam or boil the swede and celeriac before mashing? Traditional masher or immersion blender whizzy wand thing? I always use my wand, as I find celeriac goes lumpy if I try to use a masher. But it does end up more of a purée than a mash.

I boil mine then use an immersion blender to whizz - i also add butter, a little crushed garlic and salt and pepper - then put it over a low heat to steam off the excess water before either freezing or using it as a topping.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Hi all, been on the go today so nothing fancy for me.
Breakfast nothing, fast til 1pm
Lunch scrambled eggs with grated cheese and 1 small tomato.
Dinner, tuna in oil, cheese and cucumber. Dash of salad cream.
5 raspberries, sf jelly and cream for after.

Still didn't reach my calories goal of 1350...made it to just over a 1000 so better than the 600s last week.
Still no weight loss, but no gain and watch and rings are loose so something is happening.
hi Angie
good luck with the weight loss this week.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done getting that application off and wishing you all the best with it clearly you’d earnt a treat I hate application forms
Yes me too, it’s taken me an age to complete, kept talking myself out of applying for it then adding a bit, just in case I changed my mind, been never ending! I will probably have to jump through hoops and do some awful presentation if I get shortlisted :arghh:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope the application is successful and proves to be a rewarding role.
Thank you, as they say nothing ventured nothing gained, it’s a role within our learning and development team, I’m hoping that the increase in salary will provide an opportunity to reduce my hours at some point in the future plus the role will involve coaching and mentoring so I will be using my teaching quals again :)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@jayney27 best of luck! It sounds like you are very qualified indeed. Keep us posted!
Here I sit in my car after a ballet class, eating some tinned sardines... and while I need them for a med, I feel that I could have made it without. I’d fueled up pre-class with some buttered almonds. Ok, some butter and some almonds
It was spring here today, even warmer tomorrow, above 70F!!
Bfast 1/2 avocado, egg (no cat theft. That’s later). Decaf/soy/cream and a square 90% choc
Lunch on the sunporch doing taxes: cherry toms, celery, swiss cheese. The cat stole up to the table invisibly and struck like a snake, running out the cat door to the deck With The Fork still stuck into the large-ish cheese chunk. I cracked up and got myself another piece. 2 sq 90%
Supper #1 better and almonds
Ballet class I survived
Supper#2 9:00pm maybe half a tin of sardines, dreaming of the olive oil I forgot.
Home for some massager so I don’t seize up in the middle of the night!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I boil mine then use an immersion blender to whizz - i also add butter, a little crushed garlic and salt and pepper - then put it over a low heat to steam off the excess water before either freezing or using it as a topping.
I also find if I prepare ahead, cool and then keep in fridge for a few hours that this tends to dry it out/ thicken a bit. I then either cover with film for a quick microvawe or to use as a topping. Will try out your idea @Chook too sounds good. It is a very watery vegetable.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The food fairy instructs me to put the 2 in the base of our steamer and boil. She then adds butter and cheese and uses a hand masher. If we want/wanted puree we briefly destroy with the nutribullet (if I don't watch cream could creep in) or butter. On its own celeriac is soo woosy and watery and I never did like the sloppy mash some chefs inflict on people. Not a fan of butter in vegetables except swede. Mashed with butter and black pepper I have liked it since childhood and I used to hate pepper.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I cook my Swede and celeriac separately and then use a potato ricer. I can slowly squeeze out some of the water before ricing comences. Rice back into a hot pan on a very low heat to steam for a bit then add butter, salt, pepper and perhaps some chili flakes.
I sometimes temper some spices and mix in to make a substitute dhal.

Last edited:

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I cook my Swede and celeriac separately and then use a potato ricer. I can slowly squeeze out some of the water before ricing comences. Rice back into a hot pan on a very low heat st steam for a bit then add butter, salt, pepper and perhaps some chili flakes.
I sometimes temper some spices and mix in to make a substitute dhal.
I feel another book coming on.....100 ways to mash swede and celeriac. Best sellers list for sure!