What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tea
Scrambled eggs, mushrooms. Toasted LC roll . Cwc
Lunch nuts, yoghurt with berries
Tea
Evening rest of chicken veg curry with cauli rice.
White wine. Stressed so let’s forget the water.
I wish I had some ice cream or chocolate. Feeling in need of something wicked. But just as well I don’t have any, I’m sure to eat too much of it.

Why is it we crave sweet things when we’re stressed? It’s really strange that it’s never really gone even though I haven’t eaten anything sweet for over a year. Hope you get through it.

Viv19

Why is it we crave sweet things when we’re stressed? It’s really strange that it’s never really gone even though I haven’t eaten anything sweet for over a year. Hope you get through it.

It is pathetic isn’t it? Hopefully it will get better. It’s rather like when I gave up smoking - I knew I could never ever have just one cigarette for years and years. One would have led to many more. Now smoking would be a disgusting thing to do but it took quite a few decades. ;))
My treat now is the hm yoghurt and berries. It fills the ice cream spot. But just sometimes I dream of something like home made cinnamon rolls .......

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today after breakfast (2 bacon 1 egg which I posted earlier)
Lunch was celery sticks filled with cream cheese and some walnuts. A good meal as it took me a while to eat so my hunger was satisfied by the time I’d finished.
Went to see ‘Yesterday’ really enjoyed it. @maglil55 have you seen it yet?
Dinner was a slow roast lamb shoulder I’d put in before we went with green beans, spinach and finally tried roast radish! Didn’t taste of anything really but at least I had some roast roots on my plate which was nice and I can see the potential for stews etc like others have said.
@shelley262 would you mind posting a few photos of your evening meals over the next few days? I obviously know what an egg and a rasher of bacon looks like but just to give me an idea of the quantities of protein & veg you have in your main meal would be helpful. I think I’m probably having too much generally.
Thanks @Goonergal for your input re Libre too. Definitely something I should be thinking about soon.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is pathetic isn’t it? Hopefully it will get better. It’s rather like when I gave up smoking - I knew I could never ever have just one cigarette for years and years. One would have led to many more. Now smoking would be a disgusting thing to do but it took quite a few decades. ;))
My treat now is the hm yoghurt and berries. It fills the ice cream spot. But just sometimes I dream of something like home made cinnamon rolls .......

I don’t even think Id like most sweet things now, but you’re right, sometimes there is just that one thing, or a smell wafting in that reminds you. I know it’d be a quick and unsatisfying fix but it doesn’t always stop the craving.
Agree about the smoking too!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today after breakfast (2 bacon 1 egg which I posted earlier)
Lunch was celery sticks filled with cream cheese and some walnuts. A good meal as it took me a while to eat so my hunger was satisfied by the time I’d finished.
Went to see ‘Yesterday’ really enjoyed it. @maglil55 have you seen it yet?
Dinner was a slow roast lamb shoulder I’d put in before we went with green beans, spinach and finally tried roast radish! Didn’t taste of anything really but at least I had some roast roots on my plate which was nice and I can see the potential for stews etc like others have said.
@shelley262 would you mind posting a few photos of your evening meals over the next few days? I obviously know what an egg and a rasher of bacon looks like but just to give me an idea of the quantities of protein & veg you have in your main meal would be helpful. I think I’m probably having too much generally.
Thanks @Goonergal for your input re Libre too. Definitely something I should be thinking about soon.
Will do @DJC3 will try and take photos of all meals next two days and post them. I will also do a bit more weighing to try and help. My rasher of bacon btw is one streaky slice from finnebrogue naked streaky bacon, nitrate free, 12 in pack ( 0.8g carbs per 100 g so each slice is just over 0.1g of carb) and chiploatas are Waitrose 1- 12 in pack -I have one at0.3g per sausage and one medium sized Burford brown free range egg think eggs are around 1g of carb each. Usual breakfast is two slices streaky bacon and one egg but at weekend swap one slice with a sausage and today also added the beans as an experiment ! Gosh reading this back I sound obsessive! Hope my obsession helps!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will do @DJC3 will try and take photos of all meals next two days and post them. I will also do a bit more weighing to try and help. My rasher of bacon btw is one streaky slice from finnebrogue naked streaky bacon, nitrate free, 12 in pack ( 0.8g carbs per 100 g so each slice is just over 0.1g of carb) and chiploatas are Waitrose 1- 12 in pack -I have one at0.3g per sausage and one medium sized Burford brown free range egg think eggs are around 1g of carb each. Usual breakfast is two slices streaky bacon and one egg but at weekend swap one slice with a sausage and today also added the beans as an experiment ! Gosh reading this back I sound obsessive! Hope my obsession helps!

Yes it does help thanks. I’m very vague about weighing and measuring at the moment and I found out from my old weight watcher days that it is important to check sometimes to make sure the carefully weighed 30g hadn’t morphed into 60g ( which it always seems to). I probably misjudge the amount of veg I have too. I don’t want to get back into those miserable days of measuring everything but I think I do need to check that what I think is a small, med or large amount really is that.
I always go for the Naked brand nitrate free bacon too.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I checked on Sainsburys site and no added sugar are 9.7 per 100g and ordinary ones are 12.5 per 100g I did spot your earlier post and double checked unless Sainsburys sitehas wrong info? Will go and check Waitrose next for their ordinary beans as only have no added sugar in cupboard which are 9.7 g per 100 g
Edit Waitrose also say 12.5 g https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/heinz-baked-beanz-4-pack/019030-9187-9188
so they are more than no added sugar as no added sugar label in my cupboard and on site says 9.7g
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/heinz-baked-beanz-no-added-sugar/404358-56911-56912
It would seem I was wrong, which explains the anomaly, I apologise for misleading anyone. I made the mistake of taking the amount for 1/2 a can and then when I looked up the normal beans on line it was a different size can! I had no idea there were different sizes of large can. Note to self, always go by per 100g.
https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Heinz-Baked-Beans/470744011

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
B. Fine herbe omelette, black tea, black coffee
L. Salad of leaves, avocado, cherry tomatoes, red pepper, and cheese, 2 giant strawberries.
Exhausted after watching the ladies' final at Wimbledon, went to the supermarket and succumbed to a scone with jam and clotted cream (I know!!) and tea.
Then went to a friend's and had a couple of small glasses of white wine (I know!!).
Very late dinner of fried fish and Caesar salad minus the croutons. Some redemption then.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: 2 x boiled eggs with Marmite soldiers made from a slice of Livlife bread followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon at Neros: coconut cappuccino and salted caramel phd bar
Dinner: cold jerk chicken with cauliflower and broccoli salad, coleslaw, and pork scratching followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I have discovered that you can buy an anteater (exotic pets) but I think that you should go for a bear - bears eat ants and it will add excitement trying to keep away from it.
A cuddly teddy bear, that also eats ants - the perfect pet.

Reactions: zauberflote
D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Seafood platter at the bowls club, several low carb beers.
Dinner: Spicy goat rissoles, veggies gravy.
Breakfast: Usual omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no additives, beer, water.

D

Deleted member 308541

A cuddly teddy bear, that also eats ants - the perfect pet.
We have Echidna's here, they keep the ants / termites populations down.

800px-Echinda_burningwell.jpg

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
The discussion of "30g food morphing into 60" speaks so loudly to me. My portion sizes have definitely barred me from LC world. If a food itself has a low percentage of carbs and you eat half a pound of it (I'm thinking kosher dills and cheese and nuts and even chocolate but not half a pound of it here), does anyone hear the sound of a tree clapping its one hand in the forest? (Or something). I HAVE to clean up my act. Mom, who is not eating consistently, loves real chocolate ice cream. To get her to eat, one has to eat at least some; she is beyond "oh I've already had dessert" subterfuge and needs the visual cue. So I ate a few teaspoons slowly with much spoon licking. Then when I came home, I scraped the insulated coffee mug's sugary contents into a suitable freezer container and Licked The Spoon (which was dipped into said sugar a few more times). It was like an addict-- it WAS an addict!-- using again. Ugh. This is the same stuff that was sickly sweet to me last winter. I think that stress not only makes us crave sweets, it also changes learned behavioral brain pathways back to the old addict version. It was pretty scary.
Today I ate
1/2 avocado, sm handcul pecans, a boiled egg, 3 tbsp dippin' dunnie w/cinnamon, DWSAC with 6 squares 90%. See?
Inadvertent lunch of halvah ingredients then a few sticky pinches of halva
More DWSAC still going
Supper will follow my usual pattern of wilted spinach with something flax-y, another veggie, and tonight leftover steamed shrimp with regular cocktail sauce which is probably not at all LC.
Must bid fond auf wiedersehen/a bientot/see ya later alligator for a few more weeks. Thanks everyone, you are all my "food rocks".

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it does help thanks. I’m very vague about weighing and measuring at the moment and I found out from my old weight watcher days that it is important to check sometimes to make sure the carefully weighed 30g hadn’t morphed into 60g ( which it always seems to). I probably misjudge the amount of veg I have too. I don’t want to get back into those miserable days of measuring everything but I think I do need to check that what I think is a small, med or large amount really is that.
I always go for the Naked brand nitrate free bacon too.
Vet interesting discussion about weights/sizes of portions. Reading people's menus and even seeing photos confuses the hell out of me. I analyse each day's meals through chronometer and see carbs, cals, vit and nutes. Obviously know my weight, bg level and A1c but no idea what to tweak to end up with a better balance. The info may help but is there a magic formula to extrapolate from the size you gals are to me? Anyhow, sorry to intrude but this has been the bane of my life for about a year now. I am often told I don't eat enough but am pretty certain meal size wise I eat more than most posters but just don't recognise the feelings of satiety and happiness. Weights/sizes would perhaps be a start.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs I don’t think it’s as simple as weight/size/food intake.

I’m pretty certain I eat far more than many posters on here - even on OMAD days - but of those I’ve met am one of the shortest (probably not lightest). For me it’s the balance of what I eat that determines whether I am in a weight trending up or weight stable/trending down period.

Too much desserty stuff and/or nuts and regardless of calories I’m on the up. The closer to outright carnivore I’m stable/reducing.

On that note attempting a carnivore OMAD today. Just a tea with cream and a tea with full fat milk (cafe sans cream) aside from water so far.

Reactions: Viv19 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I’m pretty certain I eat far more than many posters on here - even on OMAD days - but of those I’ve met am one of the shortest (probably not lightest). For me it’s the balance of what I eat that determines whether I am in a weight trending up or weight stable/trending down period.

Too much desserty stuff and/or nuts and regardless of calories I’m on the up. The closer to outright carnivore I’m stable/reducing.

On that note attempting a carnivore OMAD today. Just a tea with cream and a tea with full fat milk (cafe sans cream) aside from water so far.
Thanks for the reply - I think. I don't find the weight issue a problem really. I seem to have been fairly stable for a year at least. The balance issue question perplexes me. Carni type foods would obviously give more cals, less carbs and allegedly more oomph but I largely don't want them anymore or at least not in the form that fits an LC woe. Thanks though. Begins to look like this woe will always lead to an uneasy truce between bg control, pleasure and energy in my case, I may well be flogging a dead horse looking for improvements. Again, thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viv19 and gennepher

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs

I think the portion size thing is a bit of a red herring.

I mean, I look at some of the photos on here (thinking particularly about @Rachox's beautifully presented pics) and the first thing I think is 'wot tiny portions!!!'.
But then I remember that Rachox eats 3 times a day, with dessert and often snacks.

In contrast, I eat probably twice a day, and my idea of a snack is a couple of squares of 70% choc.

If we piled all Rachox's food onto one plate, and all of mine on another, I wouldn't be surprised if she was eating more volume than me, but with the inclusion of her veg, and the fact that I am carni, and eating keto macros, mine is probably more nutrient dense.

(please correct me if you disagree with any of that speculation, @Rachox !)

So basically, it boils down to horses for courses.

I am always highly amused by my husband's intake. He eats lowish carb, while I am carnivore.
So I put equal quantities of meat on both our plates, and then he adds about 1.5 x as much in veg on top of that. With cheese and butter. And so long as he doesn't add carbs, his weight stays the same, or drops.
For me, my weight stays the same unless I add carbs, in which case it rises.

As I say, each to their own.

Reactions: Viv19

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I agree so much it really is working out what works for you. What works for me may well not work for anyone else - we are all different in so many ways. I also am sure that food is most definitely not the only influence on bg control - stress is one of my main bg risers now!
@DJC3 asked for more information I think about what works for me to see how it looks re my portion sizes. I do not generally measure stuff or record my food breakdown on a food tracking app and haven’t ever. I tend to stick to keeping an eye on my carbs and monitoring my bgs, ketones and weight to make sure that I’m on target re maintenance of my bgs and weight which are both now at a normal level. I will however happily weigh my food intake today and take some photos to show what it looks like for @DJC3 and information. Two years on it really is eating similar things and amounts to what I usually eat!
My other guideline I stick to is intermittent fasting always eating - usually 3 small meals, but never more than 30g of carbs in total during the whole day not per meal! and often less than 20g - only in a period of 8 hours or less and sticking to water and weak black tea at other times. I tend to have late breakfast and early tea but if not feasible as too busy I’ll switch to one or two meals a day and have coffee with cream on the go or while out and about if my fast is longer than my usual 16 hours. When needing to lose weight on starting this way of eating I often did one meal a day fasting for about 23 hours.
@Goonergal hope your OMAD carnivore day goes well - food report from me this evening I’m still on my black tea.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Vet interesting discussion about weights/sizes of portions. Reading people's menus and even seeing photos confuses the hell out of me. I analyse each day's meals through chronometer and see carbs, cals, vit and nutes. Obviously know my weight bg level and A1c but no idea what to tweak to end up with a better balance. The info may help but is there a magic formula to extrapolate from the size you gals are to me? Anyhow, sorry to intrude but this has been the bane of my life for about a year now. I am often told I don't eat enough but am pretty certain meal size wise I eat more than most posters but just don't recognise the feelings of satiety and happiness. Weights/sizes would perhaps be a start.

Not intruding Ian. It’s good to see how we all manage ( or not)
I think the fact that we’ve all come to this place with different health baggage is why the same thing doesn’t work for all our metabolisms. We all have to tweak until we find some sort of happy, or at least workable medium.
I’m going to try @shelley262 ‘s system for a bit. No point in me fasting and even Omad makes me miserable as All I think about is food
@zauberflote you are definitely right about the addiction behaviours and I think it’s important to understand that. I have first hand experience of living with an addict and it is so similar, although not as obviously destructive.