What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday 28/11/19
Breakfast: Usual low carb porridge with good vanilla whey protein powder, 90g greek yoghurt.
Lunch: 120g mixed salad leaves, 28g light cheese, 136g ham, mustard.
Dinner: 250g roast chicken breast, 270g cauliflower, 170g green beans, cayenne pepper, salt, white pepper.

Note, looking forward to today, picked up some good almond milk with no vegetable gums, so I get to have cocoa tonight. Meeting my grandmother, and holding my new niece. Kind of scared about holding a little baby.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Out for Lunch: eggs Benedict with butternut squash in place of brioche with Diet Coke.
Mid afternoon: coconut chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: Balti chicken curry with cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

PS Berry pancake stack in the background wasn’t mine! :joyful:

9082F513-4997-42D0-AC44-A152B25C06C8.jpeg

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox Oh wow, lovely picture. I wonder if one could substitute the butternut squash, and use cauliflower hashbrowns instead as a base for eggs Benedict. Would make a good fancy brunch for Sundays.

Reactions: Annb and Rachox

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast. Tea. Nut granola and CWC
lunch. Toast,. Pâté, cheese, tea.
Tea
Dinner, ready made French version of fish pie. A bit different to ours. More like a cheap version of fishcake, although it did contain some recognisable pieces of salmon. Green beans and leeks. One glass of wine. 2 teaspoons of nutella. :greedy: Have a nasty feeling this is the thin edge of the wedge

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox Oh wow, lovely picture. I wonder if one could substitute the butternut squash, and use cauliflower hashbrowns instead as a base for eggs Benedict. Would make a good fancy brunch for Sundays.
Another way of doing it, which Patisserie Valerie did for me was to use those very large mushrooms, I think they are called Portbello?

Reactions: Annb and Quinn1066

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another way of doing it, which Patisserie Valerie did for me was to use those very large mushrooms, I think they are called Portbello?
Oh I never thought of mushrooms, much less fuss then making cauliflower hash browns. I love eggs florentine, spinach, eggs and hollandaise sauce go together so well. Also I will post this link, because I love Frasier, and it's facinatig to see how english muffins can be made, even though I can't eat them.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I did decide to have something more this evening after Em had gone home, but didn't really fancy anything. Then checked my BG and was horrified to find it was 21.4! I did have a couple of throat pastilles earlier to help my sore throat, which has decided to return when I thought it was all over. But that is all, apart from the "soup" this afternoon. The throat pastilles were sugar based (can't take sweeteners) but I didn't think they would do that much damage. I decided to just have some more of the "soup" because I wanted to take some insulin and thought I'd better have something. Haven't dared check BG again. How much damage can 2 bowls of soup and 2 throat pastilles do?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook re the Hallum - http://www.milkys.co.uk/milkyshalum.asp - 2% versus 3% for most other. Today was an OMAD - tea, CWC in travel cup then .... hit John Lewis for Christmas shopping. Lots of toys and clothes for grandchildren and a Nespresso for Julie :banghead:100 free pods apparently (the Nespresso Advent Calendar not for our version so escaped that), didn't have any Exitable Edgar toys or the air fryer we wanted but did have the Channel No5 I actually went for (nicely wrapped and in a bag for under the tree - sent Julie looking for trainers I knew they didn't have) Food? 2 slices skinny bread toast with 30 gms cheddar in all + tblsp reduced sugar tommyK and almond milk cocoa. Bg was 3.8 when I tested before that food so good idea to let Julie drive home (didn't actually have any feeling of being low). Air fryer apparently now purchased from Very @ same price.

Which airfryer are you having Ian? There are so, so many to choose from these days.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 I’m getting addicted to scanning the sensor! As you guys said, it does read lower than finger pricks but seems ok so far, good for spotting trends and reactions.
Hope the dental appointment with your son wasn’t too traumatic for you all. Glad your antibiotics have helped.
I made a batch of chicken stock today from yesterday’s carcass, do you follow a recipe for your soup or just chuck whatever you have in? It’s definitely soup weather.

@ianpspurs sounds like you had a very productive shopping day. When the Nespresso pods run out, Aldi do a range which fit. They are very good and a fraction of the price.

Reactions: maglil55

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Hug for flood but you’re amazing how you keep going with masses of work getting your French dream house sorted amazing
@shelley262 the initial clearing up wasn't too bad, but the insulation inside the wall may take some time to dry out. Meanwhile we are running the underfloor heating and carefully not using the kettle. It's likely that the affected area will need the grout removing and replacing.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
‘Did the wind change?’ Will keep me laughing all day.
Thanks for the chicken skin tips So no extra olive oil or anything, just seasoning- do you try to dry it a bit first?
Nope. No oil, just skins and salt. Don't dry them either. Literally just chuck them in.

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hug for the reaction. I found the erythritol too harsh and someone else also posted the same - @DJC3? very disappointed.
I'm disappointed too! The erythritol doesn't bother me but they're sold out of Millionaire shortbread. I'll have to try to decipher their biscuit base. Caramel I reckon I could do better.

Reactions: Chook and DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did decide to have something more this evening after Em had gone home, but didn't really fancy anything. Then checked my BG and was horrified to find it was 21.4! I did have a couple of throat pastilles earlier to help my sore throat, which has decided to return when I thought it was all over. But that is all, apart from the "soup" this afternoon. The throat pastilles were sugar based (can't take sweeteners) but I didn't think they would do that much damage. I decided to just have some more of the "soup" because I wanted to take some insulin and thought I'd better have something. Haven't dared check BG again. How much damage can 2 bowls of soup and 2 throat pastilles do?
Hope you recover soon @Annb. I cannot believe a couple of throat pastilles would do that. Just doesn't make sense.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Long day at work today, got home late, so no exercise. Early morning tomorrow.

@Brunneria -- Hugs for headache, eyeache, snuffy nose and tears due to the whey intolerance.
@Chook -- Your blood sugars are coming down nicely -- really well done.
@DJC3 -- Great you enjoyed the chicken skin -- it really does sound delicious.
@shelley262 -- Glad the antibiotics are finally kicking in.
@Goonergal -- The Turkish place sounds wonderful.
@Quinn1066 -- Sounds as if you had a wonderful time with your grandmother and your niece.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and smoked salmon. A bowl of beef-vegetable soup.

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack: 10 macadamias and one square of 95% chocolate.

Dinner: A bowl of beef-vegetable soup (nothing bettter than soup in winter). Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and smoked salmon. A bag of chicken cracklings. Rather too much 85% chocolate (but so very good). One and half glasses of red wine.

Better get to bed now, so I can catch at least 7 hours of sleep.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 I’m getting addicted to scanning the sensor! As you guys said, it does read lower than finger pricks but seems ok so far, good for spotting trends and reactions.
Hope the dental appointment with your son wasn’t too traumatic for you all. Glad your antibiotics have helped.
I made a batch of chicken stock today from yesterday’s carcass, do you follow a recipe for your soup or just chuck whatever you have in? It’s definitely soup weather.

@ianpspurs sounds like you had a very productive shopping day. When the Nespresso pods run out, Aldi do a range which fit. They are very good and a fraction of the price.
Thanks @DJC3 - the food and drink officer/fairy had already spotted that. The sudden Christmas shopping expedition - and lack of food - was prompted by Julie booking a hotel in Southampton for next Sunday - middle son's birthday so Christmas presents for granddaughters to buy, wrap and deliver and me spotting the perfume cheap at JL. Shops not too busy - Nespresso and coffee machines in general very busy. Air fryer part for now and part as I don't really want to eat food cooked in an oven used by other people and so preparation for ripping out kitchen in new house - changed mind over original new build.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Long day at work today, got home late, so no exercise. Early morning tomorrow.

@Brunneria -- Hugs for headache, eyeache, snuffy nose and tears due to the whey intolerance.
@Chook -- Your blood sugars are coming down nicely -- really well done.
@DJC3 -- Great you enjoyed the chicken skin -- it really does sound delicious.
@shelley262 -- Glad the antibiotics are finally kicking in.
@Goonergal -- The Turkish place sounds wonderful.
@Quinn1066 -- Sounds as if you had a wonderful time with your grandmother and your niece.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and smoked salmon. A bowl of beef-vegetable soup.

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack: 10 macadamias and one square of 95% chocolate.

Dinner: A bowl of beef-vegetable soup (nothing bettter than soup in winter). Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and smoked salmon. A bag of chicken cracklings. Rather too much 85% chocolate (but so very good). One and half glasses of red wine.

Better get to bed now, so I can catch at least 7 hours of sleep.

You’d love the crispy chicken skins Ziggy. Do you have room for an airfryer?
I agree with you about the soup in winter. I shall make some today but not decided yet what variety.