What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
After watching this video (below) I felt more confident to try eating a little differently today.

I had 3 eggs and a sip of homemade goat's milk yoghurt for breakfast.

Lunch was a couple of chicken livers fried in butter with garlic, spring onion and a really nice brandy (reduced during cooking) followed by a succulent Scotch fillet steak.

Dinner was fresh salmon and a small slice of Camembert cheese, then I pressure cooked some chicken necks in a bit of water to make a stock/broth and ate a few of them and drank some broth and another sip of goat's milk yoghurt.

My one treat of the day, which I had with a cup of tea and a dash of coconut milk, was a mix of coconut oil, cocoa, carob powder, coconut milk, desiccated coconut.

Not quite carnivore but much closer than ever before.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
First try of these from Dr Almond - Ciabatta/baguette https://lowcarb-glutenfree.com/prod...ten-free-paleo-keto-protein-bread-baking-mix/
upload_2019-12-14_14-37-36.png

Crusty and filling but a little too cakey for my taste - a work in progress. Something different and worth a try for me. Done as a ciabatta so had oil which may have caused the problem so I will have my baker prepare a baguette next time.

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
We just had our first 'carol' singers. I think they haven't really understood what a carol is because they sang this

Reactions: maglil55

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We had the local rotary club driving along our road v slowly a few days ago.
Not sure they had grasped the basics either.

They were towing a trailer that pumped out Xmas music at great volume. Driving agonisingly slowly.
But no one knocking on doors to collect dosh.

So we all got loud, muffled, trendy and cliched Xmas music pounding against our walls and windows, and we didn't even have the option to pay them to go away.

Yesterday:
B: bone broth
L: tinned salmon in cream and cheese sauce on oomi noodles, with chilli
D: stew, decorated with a lovely crispy chaffle

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Oops, forgot to mention what I ate yesterday.... I'm not at home so haven't got my numbers, anyway...

B: Mahoosive Toby buffet breakfast including eggs done two ways, baked beans, mushrooms, Yorkshire pudding, potato and cheese hash

Followed by several hours of fairly intense shopping got home and was REALLY surprised that my BG was 5.1

L: cup of black coffee

D: Big salad and some Oumph! (which is a sort of vegan spicy kebab type stuff - very low carb and nice) garlic mayo

Its Mr C's birthday weekend so plenty of wine was consumed. I did turn down the Jack Daniels.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Not best pleased at having to limit walking on a sunny day, but Achilles must be rested. Compensated by success with the Instant Pot and a good clear out of the kitchen. Was a full on work-out carrying everything to the charity shop in one go.

Planned OMAD but very hungry mid-afternoon so had some extra thick double cream and almond butter.

Dinner was oxtail in the Instant Pot. Needed to put it back for a bit longer than the stated time, but tender and tasty (on limited evidence it seems my pot takes longer than average to cook). Not quite enough of it - obviously a large boned ox! So some more cream and almond butter and 2 squares of Godiva 90% chocolate. Same carbs/100g as the Lindt - 14 - but very different taste.

No carol singers here yet.

2B58EB55-36FA-4D24-8F53-A3C1AFE67734.jpeg

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb sorry a out your fall, dont be cross with yourself, it happens in an instant. I once raced out the back door and my foot slipped on the mat on the low step. I managed to stay upright but in the process twisted and broke an ankle in two places. Hope the soreness eases and really hope your shoulder doesnt need treatment. Good idea to go to Dr Mon if worried. @Goonergal I can imagine the frustration of resting Achilles but defo a good idea. Get better soon both.
Today didnt quite turn out as planned, foodwise.
Higher than I accept fbg so planned a slimline day. After tea and a slice of LivLife toast with thick butter I planned to just have two boiled eggs lunchtime. I just cannot fast and when the weather is cold I am starving. Anyway mid morning youngest son turned up out of the blue to take me out for lunch while Mr PMwas at golf. I could have declined but it was a joy to see him so I went. Had Moussaka and Greek salad and it as so tasty. Havent checked bg but will be eating less tonight as A1c on Mon morning.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B=tea; mid morning = 20 gms cheese and 2 < nat weight bags pork scratchings from Advent calendars and cheesies (granddaughter and son love 'em); Late lunch = cheese and tomato Ciabatta courtesy of Dr Almond; Evening was Brisket and roast kale - (Waitrose slow cooked to see if brisket could be made palatable - it can't). Amazing time with 2 grandchildren here + facetime with 2 others - lots of chocolate for them (does that make me a bad person?) Watching Vicar of Dibley Christmas special ( awful TV tonight - except sport) by light of wood burner + tree lights and cogitating on life, the universe and who Jose may buy and sell.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Food today was -

A chaffle made with cheddar (can't get mozzarella atm) and the remainder of the bell peppers and tomato stew.

Roasted cauliflower florets (coated in yoghurt and curry spices overnight) with watercress and a sliced tomato.

I was out this afternoon and, luckily, there were other people there because I found I couldn't walk at all. Feet and ankles really painful although my knees were really not very bad for a change. Someone got my wheelchair out of the car for me and then wheeled me around. Felt really embarrassed. They said I wasn't being a nuisance, but I felt that I was. Maybe something to do with falling over yesterday, or maybe not. Maybe swollen feet and ankles with retained fluid. I really don't like this old age thing, but probably better than the alternative.;)

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday. Liquid lunch again, garlic pork fillet and salad, several XXXX Gold cold beers.
Dinner: Pork chops and veggies, gravy.
Breakfast: Omelette, fat bacon, tomatoes.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, beer, water.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Lunch: cheesy scrambled egg on Marmite on LivLife toast followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon: brownie phd bar and a black coffee
Dinner at Hungry Horse: full English of eggs, bacon, mushrooms, tomato and sausages followed at home by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all and hugs to @Goonergal and @Annb for injuries. Ann you really should get to the docs soon. I hope you’re both fully recovered by Christmas.
Today I had CWC this morning and went to daughter’s as the mobile hairdresser was there. While having my hair done we were entertained by 7yo granddaughter who has just got a violin. She told us proudly that although she hadn’t had any lessons yet she could still play it. I think the poor hairdresser finished in half his usual time!
Lunch was a 2 egg cheese omelette and more coffee. Then out to face the crowds in Truro.
Too tired to think about dinner so ordered a takeaway curry. Chicken tikka was the only thing I trusted as I’ve had some suspiciously sweet tasting curries from this place. Had some iceberg lettuce and mayo with it and a couple of glasses of wine.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all and hugs to @Goonergal and @Annb for injuries. Ann you really should get to the docs soon. I hope you’re both fully recovered by Christmas.
Today I had CWC this morning and went to daughter’s as the mobile hairdresser was there. While having my hair done we were entertained by 7yo granddaughter who has just got a violin. She told us proudly that although she hadn’t had any lessons yet she could still play it. I think the poor hairdresser finished in half his usual time!
Lunch was a 2 egg cheese omelette and more coffee. Then out to face the crowds in Truro.
Too tired to think about dinner so ordered a takeaway curry. Chicken tikka was the only thing I trusted as I’ve had some suspiciously sweet tasting curries from this place. Had some iceberg lettuce and mayo with it and a couple of glasses of wine.

Ouch. A violin sounds awful in the hands of a beginner. Couldn't help a laugh when I read about your g daughter' efforts. Mine is learning to play her late grand dad's harmonica. It's a lot easier on the ears.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ouch. A violin sounds awful in the hands of a beginner. Couldn't help a laugh when I read about your g daughter' efforts. Mine is learning to play her late grand dad's harmonica. It's a lot easier on the ears.

I think you’re right. The violin is the worst, although a recorder can be painful too!
Hope you are in less pain this evening and able to move about a bit.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 15/12/19
Breakfast: usual low carb porridge and 90g greek yoghurt
Lunch: 120g lettuce, 24g full fat cheese, 74g shredded chicken breast
Dinner: 180g (raw trimmed weight) rump steak, 2 XL eggs. 270g cauliflower, 166g green beans.
Was a good Sunday, managed to go for a hours walk after it being a very rainy morning, the afternoon and evening weather improved. The weather is finally warming up to near summer levels in the coming week so that's good.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Just had brekkie of two meaty sausages and two eggs. Very filling.
Wont have lunch today so will go for early supper of lamb chop with salad.

Hope @Annb your pain from the fall improves but you should get checked with the doc tomo. Sending hugs and best wishes.
Best wishes to all in the wars of pain and illness.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All
Just had brekkie of two meaty sausages and two eggs. Very filling.
Wont have lunch today so will go for early supper of lamb chop with salad.

Hope @Annb your pain from the fall improves but you should get checked with the doc tomo. Sending hugs and best wishes.
Best wishes to all in the wars of pain and illness.

Thanks for good wishes. My GP surgery can't give me an appointment at any time in the near future. I need to phone on odd occasions and see if anyone has cancelled. I'll have got better by the time I can get to see a doctor. I'm still trying to make an appointment anyway because I really need to get my blood results from the last 6 months or so. At present I have been reduced to using my walker around the house - it helps a lot.

I was going to have an omelette for my earlier meal today, but I find I have guests this afternoon and have used all the eggs to make a veggie frittatta. So that will have to be my meal - sometime this afternoon. That and some cheese and bits of salad will do. I took some minestrone soup out of the freezer - good for the current cold weather but it has pasta in it, so not for me. Also made some tiny (one bite) chocolate cakes. Also not for me. Can't go shopping tomorrow - waiting for a delivery, but Neil will go and get eggs and milk for me, so maybe eggy meal tomorrow.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm around 200 posts behind but I'll catch up. Only one more school week to go! @Chook & @DJC3 - sorry to see you are lurgy affected. Same thing happened to me. It was mainly due to Hubby whose cough sounds like a barking seal! I should have known with the sore legs that a lurgy attack wasn't far behind. I've been desperately trying to keep going while dosing on paracetamol, spraying First Defence up my nose and generally crawling around the house with Dettol wipes and Anti Bacterial spray. @Brunneria - I did catch your mattress sleeping arrangements. I would require a ceiling hoist to get me upright from that!
Thursday 5 December - The lurgy was on approach hence the bed 8.6 FBG 6.5.
B. TAG with ADOC.
L. Nothing. Went to Aqua as the humid pool and the steamy, hot showers improved me for a little while.
D. Boys were still consuming broth (as was Hubby). I had a couple of M&S posh dogs with a scrambled egg.
Friday 6 December - Bed 6.6 FBG 5.9. A day of fluctuating BGs so lots of water. Boys are still eating broth!!
B. TAG with ADOC.
L. Nothing. Took boys to Lego Club after feeding them lunch. At least I could relax there for 1 hour.
D. A cheese, ham and tomato toastie with LC bread. A DGF strawberry and cream blondie with another TAG with ADOC later.

Was feeling a bit less stressed as I managed to get Christmas cards done, most presents bought and a partial Christmas dinner order done.

Reactions: Chook

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm around 200 posts behind but I'll catch up. Only one more school week to go! @Chook & @DJC3 - sorry to see you are lurgy affected. Same thing happened to me. It was mainly due to Hubby whose cough sounds like a barking seal! I should have known with the sore legs that a lurgy attack wasn't far behind. I've been desperately trying to keep going while dosing on paracetamol, spraying First Defence up my nose and generally crawling around the house with Dettol wipes and Anti Bacterial spray. @Brunneria - I did catch your mattress sleeping arrangements. I would require a ceiling hoist to get me upright from that!
Thursday 5 December - The lurgy was on approach hence the bed 8.6 FBG 6.5.
B. TAG with ADOC.
L. Nothing. Went to Aqua as the humid pool and the steamy, hot showers improved me for a little while.
D. Boys were still consuming broth (as was Hubby). I had a couple of M&S posh dogs with a scrambled egg.
Friday 6 December - Bed 6.6 FBG 5.9. A day of fluctuating BGs so lots of water. Boys are still eating broth!!
B. TAG with ADOC.
L. Nothing. Took boys to Lego Club after feeding them lunch. At least I could relax there for 1 hour.
D. A cheese, ham and tomato toastie with LC bread. A DGF strawberry and cream blondie with another TAG with ADOC later.

Was feeling a bit less stressed as I managed to get Christmas cards done, most presents bought and a partial Christmas dinner order done.
Not quite sure where you are up to in real time but hug for the lurgy whenever it was or is and massive respect for your workload in the face of all that.

Reactions: maglil55