What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: 45g rolled oats, 100g full fat greek yoghurt, 40g rasberries

Lunch: 63g sprouted bread, 41g 50% reduced fat cheese, 31g hummus, 82g sauerkraut, 118g tomato. Mustard and hot sauce

Dinner: 2 XL fried eggs, 1.5 servings, 114g of lentils from a can. 155g broccoli, 150g baby spinach, curry powder and hot sauce. So the lentils and vegetables made a super yummy stew type thing that took like 5 minutes to come together, after boiling the broccoli. So freaking yummy, haven't had lentils in like 13 moths, really en joyable.

Snack: 60ml full fat diary milk, split between three of todays coffee's

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Yesterday’s food was
Breakfast. Usual slice LivLife toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch: Small plate iceberg lettuce, 2 slices corned beef, spoon coleslaw.
Supper: cheese & tomato omelette.
Then I spoiled it all by eating several spoons peanut butter before bed. That stuff is my nemisis, cant stop at one spoon. Not surprising fbg today wasnt pretty.
Belated happy birthday @Goonergal.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I know what you mean about slicing cabbage, wit her a decent knife. As I mentioned recently I bought some chain mail gloves for,handling the food slicer blade.

Last year, in Thailand, I bought a wonderful cleaver. By comparison to what the butchers here use, it's a teenie, tiny baby cleaver at about 8", but boy it's effective. I'll pick up another this year, but possible more lightweight, so that the top is more useable.

I think gloves will be mandatory with that, although no gloves will protect from a chopping action. [ shudder ]

I have 3 Chinese style cleavers - the first one I bought years ago was a Ken Hom one, then when Neil moved back home, he brought with him 2 he'd bought from a Chinese supermarket, so now there are 3 - a small one 7", a medium (Ken Hom) one 8" but deeper and a larger one about 9" but a much deeper blade. All very useful and very sharp but there's also one that my husband brought back from Spain years ago (we were butchering our own meat at the time). It is stainless steel, impossible to sharpen but you don't need to because it weighs a ton (well, quite a few lbs anyway) and is only for hacking carcasses through the joints. Haven't used it for years and it is now stuck away in a drawer. I don't want to throw it out and can't give it away. Its main use now is as a mirror - it is still nice and shiny.

So far we haven't had any accidents with them, but No 2 Son doesn't get to use them.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know what you mean about slicing cabbage, wit her a decent knife. As I mentioned recently I bought some chain mail gloves for,handling the food slicer blade.

Last year, in Thailand, I bought a wonderful cleaver. By comparison to what the butchers here use, it's a teenie, tiny baby cleaver at about 8", but boy it's effective. I'll pick up another this year, but possible more lightweight, so that the top is more useable.

I think gloves will be mandatory with that, although no gloves will protect from a chopping action. [ shudder ]

No!!! You’ve done it again! Now I need chain mail gloves and a cleaver!

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Had tea and then brunch - 2 sausages, 2 slices black pudding and 2 fried eggs. Bit much really, but I have to go out so needed sufficient sustenance to get me through the afternoon. (I was hoping the weather would be too bad and schools would stay closed, but it has turned out to be a bit wet and a bit breezy, but nothing the write home about.)

This evening I will be making devilled kidneys - we'll see if I can put up with mustard - haven't had any for many years so maybe I will be able to.

I'm not convinced that sticking to animal products is doing any good. Apart from the almost hypo I had yesterday (which was just a case of insufficient food for most of the day), my BG has been very high this week and I've been feeling grotty. Arthritis has also flared but that might be the weather, or might be the food. Haven't weighed myself yet but by the tightening of my waistband I think I may have put on some weight as well.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
No!!! You’ve done it again! Now I need chain mail gloves and a cleaver!

I used to have a cleaver. I never used it. It (and the matching knives) were on a magnetic strip above my prep area which is at the far end of the kitchen from the kitchen door. Literally EVERY time I walked in to the kitchen and saw that cleaver I could almost hear the wah wah wah sound from the shower scene in Psycho. I put up with it for about a year then told Mr C (laughing) and amazingly he got rid of the whole thing immediately - it must have given him a bit of worry because Mr C NEVER does DIY quickly. Actually, thinking about it, I haven't seen that cleaver for years.

@Annb - its probably the weather affecting your arthritis. We suffer together. I had a fairly good day with mine yesterday but its pouring this morning and I can barely climb the stairs. My doctor said to take tramadol when it gets bad but I can't as it makes me hallucinate (as does anything with opiates - so no paracodol).

Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
So, today, Tuesday 14th January

I had an appointment with the vampire to have bloods drawn for HbA1c at 9.40 - got there early only to find out it was yesterday.:banghead: So re-booked for next Tuesday. Then, of course, I had to cancel my appointment with the DN for next week as it was the day before the blood test. The receptionist just couldn't get her head round why the DN appointment has to come after the blood test. Bless!

Anyway, back on topic

Yesterday's bed time test was 8.3
This morning's FBG was also 8.3

B: (late due to mix up at doctor) was a 100% mozzarella chaffle cooked in butter in a frying pan. Nice, but different.
L: Not hungry
D: Will be spag bol made with Naked Glory TVP mince, Lloyd Grossman pasta sauce and Aldi's black bean spaghetti - I've never had any of these products before so fingers crossed it tastes okay. I will sprinkle Marigold savoury yeast flakes on it (tastes like parmesan (very umami) and an excellent source of Vit. B12)
Drinks: Black decaff with breakfast then water for the rest of the day.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
B: coffee with cream
Homemade keto waffles made with cream cheese, very nice. Made an error though- used squirty cream as a topping without checking the label- stupidly high in carbs. Never again! Skinny maple syrup.

L: slice of homemade low carb carrot cake with lots of cream cheese.

Snacks: 2 x pepperami, small chunk of smoked cheese, handful of peppers and 2 pickled onions.

Haven't had tea yet, but disheartened as today I'm already on 45g of carbs. I really want to get into ketosis but finding it so hard as keep slipping up.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@lcarter hug from me it’s quite complex there are so many carbs or added sugars in manufactured food - you need a lot of time when shopping especially in early days until you’ve got a good repertoire of things that you like and know are low carb. Doing some intermittent fasting can help too to keep total days numbers down and help with ketosis too - keep at it and recording each day - you’ll get there.
Breakfast one slice of bacon, egg and half a toasted chaffle
Lots of coffee and double cream
Lunch some cheese and celery followed by a few squares of montezumas 100% with almonds
Dinner Cajun chicken served on bed of buttered mushrooms and salad. Pudding sf jelly with yoghurt and cream.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Bit of a hungry day today but stuck to carnivore (well carnivore plus a few onions :D).

Morning meeting in a hotel lounge. Copious amounts of tea and cream. Ravenous by lunchtime. Five Guys to the rescue for a bunless bacon cheeseburger with mayonnaise and grilled onions.

Dinner was air fried beef followed by a 20g pack of cheesies, which I didn’t really need but had just arrived in the post courtesy of a friend.

F33A49A7-A0D5-4AEC-B8AF-2DD7547DAC7E.jpeg

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: Homemade granola, one slice of Burgen with butter
Lunch: Olives, salad, salamis, mini pakora, sour cream dip. Raspberries, double cream, lc chocolate granola.
Dinner: Ribeye steak cooked in butter, salad, mushrooms and roasted tomatoes.

Snack: Too much Green and Blacks Velvet edition mint chocolate (12 gms carbs in total)
Mexican cracker thingies (15 gms carbs)

Still under my limit but room for improvement, its a snacky day! Fasting must resume!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: Homemade granola, one slice of Burgen with butter
Lunch: Olives, salad, salamis, mini pakora, sour cream dip. Raspberries, double cream, lc chocolate granola.
Dinner: Ribeye steak cooked in butter, salad, mushrooms and roasted tomatoes.

Snack: Too much Green and Blacks Velvet edition mint chocolate (12 gms carbs in total)
Mexican cracker thingies (15 gms carbs)

Still under my limit but room for improvement, its a snacky day! Fasting must resume!

Welcome back!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 2 scrambled eggs on 2 slices Edam and a pinch of Dukkah sprinkled on top ( something daughter had on eggs in a hipster cafe once and said it transformed the humble egg, it’s a sort of spice mix)
L: Was out most of the day so didn’t get a chance. Got in around 3:30, too late to eat but v hungry so a mug of h/m bone broth.
D: DD keto Italian meatballs ( supposed to be goat cheese frittata tonight but I don’t like goat cheese)
@lcarter welcome and I agree it can be a minefield, we’ve all made those mistakes. Have you looked at the diet doctor website? Diet doctor.com Lots of recipes on there with the carbs already worked out for you.
@Goonergal fab looking beef.

Now I’ve had an error message trying to post this so I’ll try again but it’ll probably go twice now. Sorry.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late Lunch: Greek yoghurt, coconut chia pudding and macadamia and coconut keto granola with black coffee.
Dinner: carbonara made with Explore Cuisine edamame spaghetti followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.