What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope everyone and their loved ones are keeping well or feeling better.

Shock!! Mr C is on furlough from tomorrow for an initial four weeks which will almost certainly be extended (although hopefully not). Should be interesting with him home 24/7 when its not a holiday. I'm trying to work out a menu with meals that we both will enjoy eating. Apart from weekends we normally eat very different meals at different times of the day.

Food today

Breakfast: usual omelette with carb free syrup (raspberry flavour)

Lunch: Smashed avocado on Burgen toast with Tabasco and lime juice mixed in and a chopped tomato on top

Dinner: half a fennel finely sliced then fried in butter with pesto, butter beans and wilted spinach (using up leftovers).

Stay well x
Glad Mr C is somewhat shielded which must be some comfort to you despite what you wrote. Menus that you both enjoy seems like unrealistic target setting but I'm fascinated to read more in the next weeks.

Reactions: Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Glad Mr C is somewhat shielded which must be some comfort to you despite what you wrote. Menus that you both enjoy seems like unrealistic target setting but I'm fascinated to read more in the next weeks.

My biggest problem will be keeping him in. He's never been good with spending lots of time indoors without having 'a project'. (I've still got traumatic memories of us both being snowed in a few years ago!)

The first thing he did when he found out about this furlough was to start looking on line for a seaside cottage to have a holiday - when I said we can't do that he then started planning some days out....:rolleyes:

Reactions: maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Should there be anyone in this group who is considering an air fryer, this one looks very similar to mine (and @ianpspurs ) device. The difference is this one is significantly cheaper!

The 3 levels bring in all manner of flexibility for different foods, or larger batches. I know Ian has used the rotisserie, we haven't, but I have tried most other things it does.

Edited to add link: https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/kitchen/silvercrest-9-in-1-air-fryer/p31080

Last edited:
Reactions: ianpspurs

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Should there be anyone in this group who is considering an air fryer, this one looks very similar to mine (and @ianpspurs ) device. The difference is this one is significantly cheaper!

The 3 levels bring in all manner of flexibility for different foods, or larger batches. I know Ian has used the rotisserie, we haven't, but I have tried most ther things it does.

Which one?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

The 3 levels bring in all manner of flexibility for different foods, or larger batches. I know Ian has used the rotisserie, we haven't, but I have tried most ther things it does.
Sounds good. Rotisserie is a huge bonus and a big reason we went for that one. Maybe a link to the cheaper model would be an added bonus. We can't keep all the good toys to ourselves. Hoarding of loo rolls is local league level. Air fryer hoarding is Champions League level.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Triumph of the day was locating the Woodpecker I’ve been hearing in Greenwich Park every morning - and getting a reasonable shot from distance.
View attachment 39914
You brought back some happy and some sad memories:
We used to get the occasional (spotted?) woodpeckers in our garden some years back, and for a while we had a whole family of green ones visiting regularly who'd sit all in a row on the trellis waiting their turn at the bird table - until a neighbour's husband - a keen birdwatcher- discovered them all shot dead in the field behind their house. :bigtears::mad:

And to keep slightly on topic, I've still been able so far to get enough food delivered to be eating yummy low carb meals...

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
No response so far from the butcher but I have had a, very quick, response from the local volunteers co-ordinated by the local council. They have put me in touch with a lady from the next village and she phoned this afternoon and will get what of my shopping list she can tomorrow. That's great - obviously it's one part of the council service that is working. Delighted to hear from them. One slight problem - she needs cash to get the shopping and luckily, this week, I have cash to cover (probably) everything on the list. So I'll have to put that in an envelope for her to pick up from the front porch when she comes to pick up the list tomorrow morning. Not sure how future shopping trips will work out (I usually use a card) but - one day at a time, we'll meet any problems as they arise.

I didn't, after all, make the Imam Bayaldi - fell asleep and woke up too late for brunch. Just had some cucumber and used peanut butter as a dip. I will have to do the aubergine later and forget about the curry until tomorrow. I don't keep feta (which should be in the aubergine filling) because I don't like it so I will be adding some seeds instead (probably sunflower or somesuch) because I only have cheddar cheese left and I don't think it will be very good in the aubergine.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
You brought back some happy and some sad memories:
We used to get the occasional (spotted?) woodpeckers in our garden some years back, and for a while we had a whole family of green ones visiting regularly who'd sit all in a row on the trellis waiting their turn at the bird table - until a neighbour's husband - a keen birdwatcher- discovered them all shot dead in the field behind their house. :bigtears::mad:

And to keep slightly on topic, I've still been able so far to get enough food delivered to be eating yummy low carb meals...

How very sad - there are some real idiots in this World. Our local village idiots use dogs to chase deer over on the moor.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today food was slice HiLo toast from freezer, soon be out of LC bread for toast so will have small slice of ordinary brown bread as long as FBG allows. Lots of butter to offset.
Lunch was Tomato & Basil soup, thinnest slice possible cut from Mr PM’s loaf from the farm shop. As expected the loaf went stale in a day but not a crumb will be wasted.
Supper will be fishfingers and brocolli.
@Annb good news about the help with shopping. Maybe you could make arrangements to pay on phone if all or most in one shop.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. In a world where everything is ramped up and world leading I fear my menu failed to rise to the challenge - it was just food I had and felt like eating. Sorry. Breakfast: Sweetened TWAM - 3 x 700 mls ; Dockey:CWC+SF Carmel: L:Small cheese salad and Sainsburys 85% Choc; Aft: Tea; Meal: Reheated mince casserole from yesterday + roasted broccoli and spinach; Vit C powder drink. Must do better but No 3 son is collecting half a pig for us from a local farm shop tomorrow so pork stocks ramped up. May not be world beating but should be hunger beating.
Edit @DJC3 stop rating my posts and ramp up birthday celebrations to world leading.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@DCUKMod I may be in the market for a new air fryer as the non-stick coating is coming off my basket. Will look at the one you linked and the one you and @ianpspurs have. Very attracted by the rotisserie function and would be prepared to pay more now I know how much use I get out of it.
@Robbity sorry to hear about the idiots and the woodpeckers.
@Chook hope your meal plans tempt Mr C to stay in!

Tried a new food combo today. Found some tinned tuna that needed using but had no mayo. Mixed it with some cream cheese instead and it was fab. That was lunch. Dinner was a chicken leg with a coating made from ground pork crunch and Parmesan followed by a DGF brownie with cream. In between I sampled some of the Easter present to myself that arrived today. Absolutely zero chance of any remaining at Easter, but with only 12g carb in the whole bag.....

FA076DA1-78FE-49E0-8B17-A258F950C93B.jpeg
B9CC3204-1EE5-4248-84B5-0536C5949115.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all, it’s been a jolly nice relaxing birthday ( good thing I like nice relaxing days)
Black coffee this morning as usual.
Lunch: Creamy spinach soup with crispy bacon bits and grated cheese on top. 5HC 109% buttons.
Dinner: Fillet steak ( rare) Halloumi, mushrooms and salad followed by cheesecake. @DCUKMod thanks for posting the IP cheesecake recipe recently - that’s the one I used. I did intend to have the Deliciously Guilt Free brownies as my birthday cake but obviously finding them all mouldy in the garage the other day scuppered that plan! I had all the ingredients for the cheesecake so it was a good substitute.
Granddaughters were sad that I didn’t have any candles to blow out so they stuck some in the banana muffins they’ve made today and blew them out for me - I watched on FaceTime!
@Ann B Im glad you have found a volunteer to pick up shopping for you, that’s a weight off Im sure. Like @PenguinMum says, the shop might accept your payment by card over the phone?
@ianpspurs I’m envious of the 1/2 pig for your freezer. We’ve still got 4 chops left from the half lamb we bought from the butcher last year.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@DCUKMod I may be in the market for a new air fryer as the non-stick coating is coming off my basket. Will look at the one you linked and the one you and @ianpspurs have. Very attracted by the rotisserie function and would be prepared to pay more now I know how much use I get out of it.
@Robbity sorry to hear about the idiots and the woodpeckers.
@Chook hope your meal plans tempt Mr C to stay in!

Tried a new food combo today. Found some tinned tuna that needed using but had no mayo. Mixed it with some cream cheese instead and it was fab. That was lunch. Dinner was a chicken leg with a coating made from ground pork crunch and Parmesan followed by a DGF brownie with cream. In between I sampled some of the Easter present to myself that arrived today. Absolutely zero chance of any remaining at Easter, but with only 12g carb in the whole bag.....

View attachment 39937 View attachment 39938
How big is the bag? Couldn’t see the weight on it and wondering how I’d ration it out to myself. The chicken looks really good.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How big is the bag? Couldn’t see the weight on it and wondering how I’d ration it out to myself. The chicken looks really good.

Its 150g and the eggs are 8g/100g. Pretty tasty.

Editing to add a picture of the back of the bag and the inside of one of the eggs. And happy birthday @DJC3

4B4B4B3F-0339-489F-9CF2-6ECD2C3F655C.jpeg
19DFFDC5-7C78-4282-BBE8-CAACDE7CBEB4.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow that's some strong chocolate. :angelic: Just hope the 1/2 pig isn't made up of the 2 ends, trotters and ears.

I’m hardcore me!
I hope the pig will at least be butchered - it won’t be in one piece will it?