What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I bought our airfryer, it cost almost double that one in Lidl.

The racks, chip basket (we used that once, but now just do chips on the racks, they don't need to be tumbles), racks, rotisserie and skewers are all steel or aluminium. The only non-stick item is the drip tray, which I must admit we have used foil on from the off.

No food is ever on it, just the drips and crumbs, so it's quite convenient to just be able t screw up the soiled foil and bin it.

It's a good thing, in my view.

Whatever you do, do NOT buy the electric grater, from the same batch of offers. I have one (a Tefal, I think) and it's awful. I should send it to the charity shop, but I'll keep it for now, due to (shutdown and) MrB's directive that we're on a "one out/one in" where gadgets are concerned.

I play along as and when it suits. :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The racks, chip basket (we used that once, but now just do chips on the racks, they don't need to be tumbles), racks, rotisserie and skewers are all steel or aluminium. The only non-stick item is the drip tray, which I must admit we have used foil on from the off.

No food is ever on it, just the drips and crumbs, so it's quite convenient to just be able t screw up the soiled foil and bin it.

Whatever you do, do NOT buy the electric grater, from the same batch of offers. I have one (a Tefal, I think) and it's awful. I should send it to the charity shop, but I'll keep it for now, due to (shutdown and) MrB's directive that we're on a "one out/one in" where gadgets are concerned.

It seems that almost every air fryer that John Lewis sells is out of stock! Lockdown must be encouraging a new wave of cooking.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all, it’s been a jolly nice relaxing birthday ( good thing I like nice relaxing days)
Black coffee this morning as usual.
Lunch: Creamy spinach soup with crispy bacon bits and grated cheese on top. 5HC 109% buttons.
Dinner: Fillet steak ( rare) Halloumi, mushrooms and salad followed by cheesecake. @DCUKMod thanks for posting the IP cheesecake recipe recently - that’s the one I used. I did intend to have the Deliciously Guilt Free brownies as my birthday cake but obviously finding them all mouldy in the garage the other day scuppered that plan! I had all the ingredients for the cheesecake so it was a good substitute.
Granddaughters were sad that I didn’t have any candles to blow out so they stuck some in the banana muffins they’ve made today and blew them out for me - I watched on FaceTime!
@Ann B Im glad you have found a volunteer to pick up shopping for you, that’s a weight off Im sure. Like @PenguinMum says, the shop might accept your payment by card over the phone?
@ianpspurs I’m envious of the 1/2 pig for your freezer. We’ve still got 4 chops left from the half lamb we bought from the butcher last year.

I still haven't done that cheesecake ( I know, I'm hopeless). Was it as delicious as Urvashi would have us believe?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and salted caramel phd bar.
Late Lunch: two slices of ham followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: ‘spaghetti’ bolognese (I had Lizza’s low carb pasta with mine) topped with grated cheddar followed by SF jelly, cream and berry and almond paleo granola.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Goonergal I just went to the Montezumas site to buy those dark chocolate peanut eggs and they are sold out! :wideyed::(

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek

I've been thinking for a while if i need to buy an air fryer and if it is worth the cost to buy one the one I have been looking at but haven;'t actually been to the shops to see it but it is more like a mini oven which they have added the air fryer function to it. I have nearly brought one but then thing were to put it will I use it? but do hear they are great appliance just not sure if I really have the space for one or if use it. this is the one i've been looking at https://www.breville.com/au/en/products/ovens/bov860.html.

Reactions: maglil55

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Should there be anyone in this group who is considering an air fryer, this one looks very similar to mine (and @ianpspurs ) device. The difference is this one is significantly cheaper!

The 3 levels bring in all manner of flexibility for different foods, or larger batches. I know Ian has used the rotisserie, we haven't, but I have tried most other things it does.

Edited to add link: https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/kitchen/silvercrest-9-in-1-air-fryer/p31080

they are quite expensive here and the cheap ones I have seen seem to have a plastic smell to them that turns me of buying one so still on the border line. ive been looking at this one but not yet purchased https://www.breville.com/au/en/products/ovens/bov860.html

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs - I'm a closet butcher.
Round here we call them DIY plumbers It will have been butchered by 1 of these 2 chaps as per telephone convo. Sorry

upload_2020-4-3_7-42-33.png

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been thinking for a while if i need to buy an air fryer and if it is worth the cost to buy one the one I have been looking at but haven;'t actually been to the shops to see it but it is more like a mini oven which they have added the air fryer function to it. I have nearly brought one but then thing were to put it will I use it? but do hear they are great appliance just not sure if I really have the space for one or if use it. this is the one i've been looking at https://www.breville.com/au/en/products/ovens/bov860.html.
JFDI already- You know it makes sense Rodney:angelic:

Reactions: Chook

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
they are quite expensive here and the cheap ones I have seen seem to have a plastic smell to them that turns me of buying one so still on the border line. ive been looking at this one but not yet purchased https://www.breville.com/au/en/products/ovens/bov860.html

Annabelle - Not sure we have that one in UK, but I do know it gets decent reviews in a multi-national foodie group I belong to. Looking at her review from last year, there is one on here with a similar image, so worth a look?

https://twosleevers.com/best-air-fryer-reviews/

I've been astonished by how much we love and use the AF. My OH was very sceptical when it appeared, as if by magic ( :) ), but fairly quickly caught on.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weeks back, when it was perfectly obvious that the Lockdown was coming, I embraced the idea with the avowed intention of using the time to
i) cut out chocolate completely
ii) go pure carni (not even a morsel of garnish)
iii) consider eliminating dairy for a while

All very good intentions, just to see what happens...

So, after just 10 days of Lockdown, I can say that what really happens is:
i) chocolate intake has increased again
ii) pure carni is a distant dream scuppered on a daily basic by my sneaking a spoon of Mr B's potato with every meal
iii) dairy, oh how I love thee, especially cream and goatsmilk yog with cocopowder and erythritol, around 9pm, just to stave off night starvation, you understand.

Yesterday:
B; none
L: a snickers bar, for goodness sake!
D: pulled pork (and a spoon of mash), followed by the choc yog thing

Still under 50 g carbs the day, but it was neither carni, nor keto, and now today my vision is filled with more snickers bars floating just out of reach! :D:D:D

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Weeks back, when it was perfectly obvious that the Lockdown was coming, I embraced the idea with the avowed intention of using the time to
i) cut out chocolate completely
ii) go pure carni (not even a morsel of garnish)
iii) consider eliminating dairy for a while

All very good intentions, just to see what happens...

So, after just 10 days of Lockdown, I can say that what really happens is:
i) chocolate intake has increased again
ii) pure carni is a distant dream scuppered on a daily basic by my sneaking a spoon of Mr B's potato with every meal
iii) dairy, oh how I love thee, especially cream and goatsmilk yog with cocopowder and erythritol, around 9pm, just to stave off night starvation, you understand.

Yesterday:
B; none
L: a snickers bar, for goodness sake!
D: pulled pork (and a spoon of mash), followed by the choc yog thing

Still under 50 g carbs the day, but it was neither carni, nor keto, and now today my vision is filled with more snickers bars floating just out of reach! :D:D:D

Step away from the Snickers bars..... ;)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Planned menu for today but based on the fact that I have turned to Netflix things are bad and could go even further downhill - call it @Brunneria syndrome. Breakfast: Sweetened TWAM - 3 x 700 mls ; Early dockey: Cheddar cheese, last of the casserole/bake + hot bovril. Very little lc food is really hot IMHO - cooked tomatoes retain heat the best for me - really struggling and wanted carbs a great deal. At that point found Netflix it was so bad: L:Small? (that may change) h/b egg and avocado salad ; Aft: Tea; Meal: Sausages from the ½ pig to test the rise but too many variables to make conclusions; roasted broccoli and mushrooms Vit C powder drink

Last edited: