What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and DGF chocolate and orange brownie
Late Lunch: 2 x Babybels followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
(I might have just had a DGF millionaires shortbread with a cup of black coffee this afternoon as I couldn’t wait another day to try the last type of tray bake I bought!)
Dinner: chilli with cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly, cream and vanilla and raspberry LC granola.

231AEE79-5BA1-4AB1-8F15-010D281DACD7.jpeg

Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Evenin’ All,

It is seriously concerning how many people we all know who have been or are ill with C-19, and how many aren’t making it.
I see people comparing the risk to car accidents and suchlike, but how many people you know of have car accidents in a single 3 month period?

anyway, food:

Jambalaya for breakfast
Jambalaya for tea
No lunch needed

Its nothing like car accidents, it seems to be almost random. Three of the four friends that have died were in their 60s and very fit with no co-morbidaties, the only thing they had in common were they were friends. We were their friends, too, but I have co-morbidities yet (fingers crossed) I'm still here. I feel very scared at the moment.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@Chook and @Annb sympathy for the loss of friends. Hugs to you both as words are not adequate.
@PenguinMum thank you for comment.

Breakfast: 2xCWH&H, nut granola, cauliflower kedgeree. Used up two more of the unappealing white fish fillets.
More coffee.
Lunch: an experiment. Pasta and pesto with salad. Actually it was more the other way round. Salad and pesto with pasta. Twenty wholemeal penne pasta and bit under half a jar of pesto. Large salad of lettuce, red onion, and three marble sized radish. Black olives. Managed to leave some olives and for tomorrow as well. Water and cup of tea.
BG before lunch 5.3
Hour and a bit later. BG 6.0
Two hours after lunch BG 5.6 it's ok. Another choice.
Dinner: Toulouse sausage with red cabbage, celariac, green beans and onion gravy. Water and later wine.
Just now half a dozen walnuts and cup of lemon tea.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What a lovely day!! Washing is drying on the line very quickly so I'm working my way through the house washing curtains. Mr C is out doing the monthly toiletries and household goods shop at Home Bargains. I wonder what he will come back with this time - he always buys more than whats on the list.

Breakfast: scrambled eggs
Lunch: usual Actimel drink
Dinner: Linda McCartney burgers and h/m coleslaw and salad and maybe some halloumi chips

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its nothing like car accidents, it seems to be almost random. Three of the four friends that have died were in their 60s and very fit with no co-morbidaties, the only thing they had in common were they were friends. We were their friends, too, but I have co-morbidities yet (fingers crossed) I'm still here. I feel very scared at the moment.
All we can do is take as many precautions as we can and hope for the best. As the eldest grandson said " These scientists are clever people. They'll mix chemicals and come up with something".

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
All we can do is take as many precautions as we can and hope for the best. As the eldest grandson said " These scientists are clever people. They'll mix chemicals and come up with something".

It seems that we haven't had this virus if we weren't tested and proved to be positive. But we weren't tested - that's part of the problem. They may be many thousands who have been subjected to the coronavirus without becoming very ill and so were not tested. For some people, it is a serious disease - and sadly many of them have succumbed to it but for many of us, it has been a not exactly minor ailment, but not too serious and so no testing has been done and for others, they didn't know they had had the disease at all.

I had to go in to our local pharmacy yesterday and I said that Neil and I had both recovered from - possibly - covid 19 but were assured that we couldn't have had it because we weren't tested. It appears that, without a positive test, we had some other virus. I disagree - obviously - but we cannot assume that we have the appropriate antibodies to protect us, for however long, from now on. We must continue to self isolate and shield. But - should we be approaching other people? was the question that hung in the air, since after 8 weeks we still might be infectious. I was already more than 2 metres away from the assistant but she backed off another couple of feet!

Trouble is, nothing is known for certain but in time we must resume our normal lives and face whatever is out there for us.

FBG 9.8 - Breakfast at 10 am was 1 slice black pudding, 1 rasher of streaky bacon and 1 pork sausage. Forgot to check BG after and have only just remembered after 3 hours.

Later I have a gammon steak from the butcher yesterday. The pigs must be pretty big because, once again it's rather large. Will have it with some more cabbage. I really enjoy cabbage fried in butter.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It seems that we haven't had this virus if we weren't tested and proved to be positive. But we weren't tested - that's part of the problem. They may be many thousands who have been subjected to the coronavirus without becoming very ill and so were not tested. For some people, it is a serious disease - and sadly many of them have succumbed to it but for many of us, it has been a not exactly minor ailment, but not too serious and so no testing has been done and for others, they didn't know they had had the disease at all.

I had to go in to our local pharmacy yesterday and I said that Neil and I had both recovered from - possibly - covid 19 but were assured that we couldn't have had it because we weren't tested. It appears that, without a positive test, we had some other virus. I disagree - obviously - but we cannot assume that we have the appropriate antibodies to protect us, for however long, from now on. We must continue to self isolate and shield. But - should we be approaching other people? was the question that hung in the air, since after 8 weeks we still might be infectious. I was already more than 2 metres away from the assistant but she backed off another couple of feet!

Trouble is, nothing is known for certain but in time we must resume our normal lives and face whatever is out there for us.

FBG 9.8 - Breakfast at 10 am was 1 slice black pudding, 1 rasher of streaky bacon and 1 pork sausage. Forgot to check BG after and have only just remembered after 3 hours.

Later I have a gammon steak from the butcher yesterday. The pigs must be pretty big because, once again it's rather large. Will have it with some more cabbage. I really enjoy cabbage fried in butter.
I have to totally agree @Annb. The testing in Scotland has been abysmal (and still is). For both of us it is too late to be tested but we won't be infectious. My doctor is of the opinion that I probably have had the virus but that after 2 weeks I would cease to be infectious. The question is how many more did I infect in these first few days when I thought it had to be a cold because there had only been 1 case in Tayside. I did isolate, but only when I got really Ill and suspected this was something more. I found it equally disturbing for you know who to try to defend the discharge of elderly patients from hospitals into care homes without a test as being a "waste of resourses" if they had no symptoms. 951 in March alone.
Our only hope is to wait for the antibody test which is starting to be rolled out to NHS and care home staff in England next week. I think Superdrug has a cheek trying to sell a less accurate version at (was it?) £67.
On a nicer note. Bed 6.8 FBG 6.4
B. TAG and a couple of GF crackers with Philadelphia.
L. More of the aubergine parmigiana.
D. Mince and sprouts. DGF lemon and blueberry.

I did have a DGF chocolate and hazelnut late morning as my next door neighbour had a "socially distanced " coffee morning. She laid on cake, scones etc (which I couldn't have) and got the neighbours to emerge with their own coffee/tea. It worked very well and let us put the world to rights.

Reactions: Annb and Chook

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Still behind on posts but here’s today’s food in case I don’t catch up
Black coffee, tea ( almond milk(
BLT with avocado and h/m mayo in LoDough wrap then one of new batch of lc custards.
Dinner will be https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-chicken-club-casserole to use up 1/2 a cooked chicken I had. I expect there will be a glass of wine and maybe some of the Cornish blue cheese or a DGF cake afterwards.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to totally agree @Annb. The testing in Scotland has been abysmal (and still is). For both of us it is too late to be tested but we won't be infectious. My doctor is of the opinion that I probably have had the virus but that after 2 weeks I would cease to be infectious. The question is how many more did I infect in these first few days when I thought it had to be a cold because there had only been 1 case in Tayside. I did isolate, but only when I got really Ill and suspected this was something more. I found it equally disturbing for you know who to try to defend the discharge of elderly patients from hospitals into care homes without a test as being a "waste of resourses" if they had no symptoms. 951 in March alone.
Our only hope is to wait for the antibody test which is starting to be rolled out to NHS and care home staff in England next week. I think Superdrug has a cheek trying to sell a less accurate version at (was it?) £67.
On a nicer note. Bed 6.8 FBG 6.4
B. TAG and a couple of GF crackers with Philadelphia.
L. More of the aubergine parmigiana.
D. Mince and sprouts. DGF lemon and blueberry.

I did have a DGF chocolate and hazelnut late morning as my next door neighbour had a "socially distanced " coffee morning. She laid on cake, scones etc (which I couldn't have) and got the neighbours to emerge with their own coffee/tea. It worked very well and let us put the world to rights.

I missed the chocolate and hazelnut DGF cakes, I really hope they do them again, they are sold out at the moment. The coffee morning is a great idea.

Thriva ( Thriva.co) are offering an antibody test for £59 good sensitivity and specificity, test is from a reputable company.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Luckily, I don't go out very often anyway and I hadn't been out for quite a few days before I started to feel a bit unwell. I just thought, even then, that it was just my BG playing silly games due to a bit of a cold. But even so, I cancelled a couple of appointments. So, luckily, I don't think I can have infected anyone. At least I sincerely hope not! Since then I've been self isolating with Neil and only went out last week for the first time - 6 and a bit weeks after the start of the infection. And then it was only to sit in the car outside the butcher's shop while he brought out a bag of meat and put it into the boot. The Scenic is quite a long car, so still 2 metres apart. But I'm sure I'm no longer infectious so no real need for anyone to be backing away. Anyway - I think it's finished for me and I'm safe again. Been pretty well for the last couple of days. BG still high but I'm sure it'll sort itself out sometime.

Had some cheese this afternoon, so that has to be added to the total amount of food today. I'll start preparing the cabbage soon for my evening meal. Probably cook it in a mixture of pan juices and butter - after cooking the gammon. Wonder if I could risk some apple juice to make a sauce.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

A hungry day today - and a tired one. Been exhausted since getting up, despite sleeping pretty well.

Three meals too, with a lot of cheese.

Breakfast was a tin of tuna chunks mixed with some cream cheese.
Lunch was a messy corned beef, onions and eggs fry up with a bit of grated cheese - looks like a cross between an omelette, scrambled egg and corned beef hash. Tastes good, though.
Dinner was carnivore pizza topped with chorizo and pepperoni followed by a small ramekin of cream cheese with some Hotel Chocolat hot chocolate shavings mixed in.

3 day weekend is very welcome indeed.

@maglil55 the striva test that @DJC3 mentioned is one of two approved by PHE. It’s also available via Medichecks but costs £10 more.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unbelievably breezy day today lovely sunshine but branches flying around!
Breakfast one slice bacon, egg and half a toasted slice of lc bread
Lunch cheese and celery followed by hc chocolate
Dinner wild salmon with lemon butter celeriac chips and green beans with glass of dry white wine followed by lc lemon and lime mousse.
May have glass of red too later after I’ve watered the garden. I always stay up late on Friday night as I’ve found that just after midnight I can book my next online delivery slot! I fill up trolley earlier in the day with a previous order so it’s ready and then just book the slot and pay! I can then edit it In a day or two! I do a largish online order as also add things requested by my two neighbors and my autistic eldest son. It’s complex when it arrives dividing it up but feel making good use of a valuable online delivery.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and DGF millionaires shortbread.
Late Lunch: a packet of Cheesies followed by Greek yoghurt, lemon chia pudding and vanilla and raspberry LC granola.
Dinner: Prawn cocktail, leafy salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by DGF lemon and blueberry brownie with cream.

D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Usual cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes.
Lunch: Nothing.
Dinner: Rump steak and veggies, pan juice gravy.

Drinks: Black coffee, water.

A bit of trivia for you: It was 250 years ago today tomorrow (sunday) that Captain James Cooke set foot on the beach at what is now know known as Seventeen Seventy, just up the coast from Bundaberg.

They shot a Bustard (near Bustard Head) and had a lunch etc. :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_bustard

Edit: Added link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sitting feeling very grateful that I decided against a morning walk. Had I gone out when intended I would have been caught in a sudden downpour, complete with hail. No fun in shorts and a t-shirt and likely a distance from home.

Instead I was sat tucking into this delicious lunch. There will likely be dinner, but not sure what yet. Maybe the corned beef messy thing or bacon and eggs.

2F0C6051-EB08-45D1-B626-BEA3FA09F56D.jpeg

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Yesterday’s food was my usual brekkie.
Lunch was a little bit of three different cheeses chopped small on top of a tablesp of Coleslaw.
Supper was cod baked with peppers, olives and tomatoes. Cauli rice. Preceded by two gin & sodas.
Today usual brekkie.
Lunch was egg mayo with first tender leaves from the garden, cucumber, two cherry toms.
Supper will be h/m Green Thai chicken curry, maybe with broccoli.
Might well be a gin beforehand.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just received a scam e-mail, purportedly from Amazon. Checked with Amazon and they confirmed it was a scam. So, make sure you know who is contacting you, in case someone is targetting Amazon customers. The e-mail was from: amazon@qsiz1r... ( partially deleted to prevent others following the link)
Last night I did add a little apple juice and then quite a lot of cream to the sauce for the gammon steak. Lovely. Still some left over for today. More than half of the gammon steak was left as well so that will be tonight's meal.

Breakfast was 2 of the remaining sausages in the pack with the last rasher of streaky bacon from the previous pack and an egg.

Still 2 sausages left, which I also cooked this morning so I've chopped them up along with the remaining gammon and put them into the cream sauce with some tomatoes and onions. Just need to do something green to go with it and there is tonight's meal with very little effort.

post edited by mod to remove an active link to a scam website

Last edited by a moderator:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Weird day - went out shopping and there was social distance queuing at all shops except B&Q where, although they were queuing outside, they were all standing really close together. Then we went in The Range (good social distance queuing outside to get in) but it seemed to be a complete free-for-all when queuing (or not queuing) to go through the tills.

Breakfast: boiled eggs and buttered Burgen soldiers
Lunch: Actimel drink and a sample of bbq pulled jackfruit
Dinner: melted stilton on roast butternut squash, broccoli, carrots and a tablespoon of sweetcorn - and, depending on BGs at the time, i might have a couple of Mr C's Jersey Royal new potatoes in butter