What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've only heard of a deep fried Mars bar. I have never knowingly been in its presence.

Bearing in mind Mars have always been yuck to me, I can't envisage a coating of batter making them any better.

Some of the things on that website did bring back memories - plain loaf and so on.

I witnessed deep fried Oreos at a baseball game in New York. Wasn’t in the slightest bit tempted, and that was pre-diagnosis.

pamK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Afternoon everyone with all things going on lock downs cant get to see DN i'm sure were all going thruogh it in some way I am now startin LCHF to loose my lockdown weight gain i blame Boris anyhow i am on 2 metformin a day but think i should be on 3 even 4 gant get to chat to DN but have my check up and blood taken on friday and can see what happen after that I have started yesterday my LCHF with
Breakfast 2xbacon and egg and a few mushrooms fried in butter coffe
Lunch some chedders and pate' coffee
Dinner chicken kiev and veg coffee
snack of 2 chunks of 70% dark chocolate
BG before bed 6.2
But sometimes for lunch i love pilchards tinned on toast bread i make myself If i cut a very thin slice do you think it would be OK instead of the chedder crackers

Attachments

• bread mine 3 .jpg
    bread mine 3 .jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 252

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 8.5. That's a bit better.

Breakfast - Avocado on Atkins crackers.

I think I'll avoid the ham & vegetable soup from yesterday - it'll keep for a day in the fridge - rather too much veg for my tum's comfort this morning, sadly. So later it will be either sardines (from a tin) or fish stew (frozen mixture which Neil brought home from his shopping trip yesterday).

Em came in on her way home from school and decided that today was the day for making lemonade. That done, she proceeded to have a glass of it and managed to pour it all over herself and my big kitchen chair! Great fun. She had to be stripped and makeshift clothes put on her. Stripped the cover off of the chair, but it had soaked through and is currently being soaked off with a towel spread over it. Not sure what kind of stain it will be, but there will be one - the chair is covered in a kind of brushed pigskin. That's why it needed a cover to protect it from Em. Her Dad just came to pick her up and, since her shoes were soaked, he had to carry her out. Luckily, he's fairly strong and able to lift her, her heavy schoolbag, bag of wet clothes and shoes and the bottle of lemonade, without falling over - as long as she doesn't squirm.

Tomorrow she wants to make smoked salmon sandwiches. So I've taken a sandwich (pan) loaf out of the freezer. I'll send the rest of the loaf home with her for her Dad to use up somehow.

Didn't, with all this, take the fish out of the freezer so it'll be sardines and salad tonight.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Afternoon everyone with all things going on lock downs cant get to see DN i'm sure were all going thruogh it in some way I am now startin LCHF to loose my lockdown weight gain i blame Boris anyhow i am on 2 metformin a day but think i should be on 3 even 4 gant get to chat to DN but have my check up and blood taken on friday and can see what happen after that I have started yesterday my LCHF with
Breakfast 2xbacon and egg and a few mushrooms fried in butter coffe
Lunch some chedders and pate' coffee
Dinner chicken kiev and veg coffee
snack of 2 chunks of 70% dark chocolate
BG before bed 6.2
But sometimes for lunch i love pilchards tinned on toast bread i make myself If i cut a very thin slice do you think it would be OK instead of the chedder crackers

That all depends on how carbs affect you. I wouldn't be able to get away with it, but you might. Are the cheddar crackers low carb ones, or commercially made ones? You can only try and see what happens.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Brunneria -- Keeping my fingers crossed that it will turn out not to be covid.
@PenguinMum -- It's good to see you on this thread again. Welcome back.
@maglil55 -- Glad you are feeling better. What are Lotus buscuits?
@zauberflote -- Popular foods at fairs in Germany are potato fritters with apple sauce, fish in beer batter, candied almonds, candied apples, cotton candy, but lately also some more keto-friendly offerings such as mushrooms and grilled salmon.

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: About 90g of tuna sashimi with a h/m dip of vinegar, erythritol, sambal oelek, ginger-garlic paste, cucumber and a bit of sesame oil. Half a DD keto roll with butter.

Snack: Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and cheese.

Dinner: The last of the ribeye cooked sous vide and then fried (about 100g), also the last of the sauerkraut with caraway seeds in cream, and the last of the cauli mash with butter and potato fibers. Some red wine.

Blood sugars amazingly well behaved today.

Last edited:

pamK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Annb yes i will only have it now and then i do buy shop bought chedders but i do look on the ingrediants and how much of each i did this 3 yrs ago and i was OK with it i lost 1 and half stone in 6 months and kept it off toill this loockdown and put on the half a stone but i will keep my eye on it thank you

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

2 meals today. Could see that there would be few opportunities to come up for air during the working day so ate breakfast of minced beef fried with 2 eggs, a few onions and some grated mozzarella.
Dinner was air fried chicken wings followed by a small pot of Greek yoghurt.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't want to cook today because I felt sorry for myself because of the dentist visit (which went well), so I promised myself I could buy some luxury cold meats and cheeses and call it dinner.

And then I saw a box of prawns at Lidl for 10 euros for 800 grams, and I suddenly found myself in the kitchen making an experimental mushroom dish to go with the prawns (I used 5 of them, plenty left for future meals!) and frying the prawns with fish and a marinade of garlic, red pepper, lime juice and parsley!

Added tomatoes with salt, black pepper and lots of mayonnaise for good measure and to douse the peppery, garlicky fire in my mouth.

Why is it I make my best meals on days I promised myself I don't have to cook?
Not complaining or such, but it is a bit weird :wacky:.

119100894_10221759784338176_7185827804123531338_o.jpg

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning

We used to do deep fried Mars Bars when we had the chippy. Personally I thought they were gross but they were popular. If you cooked them for a moment too long they would explode and ruin the cooking fat (Yorkshire's best beef dripping) so we only did them when we were about to change the dripping, we'd put a sign up outside and kids and adults would queue up to buy them. I often think of them as our contribution to the obesity epidemic in this part of Yorkshire.

Today we are going home and I'm so looking forward to sleeping in my own bed!

Breakfast: fresh mackerel fillets fried in butter with a squeeze of lime to season (I'd forgotten how much I enjoy fresh unsmoked mackerel)

Dinner: an aubergine, mozzarella, parmesan and fresh crushed tomatoes layer bake thing that I made and froze before we went on holiday. Probably have this with wilted chard and a lamb chop or two for Mr C.

Is anyone else going to do this Dry October thing for McMillan Nurses?

Yes re dry October! Was just talking about that this afternoon with No3 daughter. I donate regularly to a Macmillan so don’t think I’ll do the whole sponsorship thing. I’ll just bung a bit extra in at the end of the month ( maybe what I’ve saved by not buying wine?) are you doing it?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all,

@Brunneria -- Keeping my fingers crossed that it will turn out not to be covid.
@PenguinMum -- It's good to see you on this thread again. Welcome back.
@maglil55 -- Glad you are feeling better. What are Lotus buscuits?
@zauberflote -- Popular foods at fairs in Germany are potato fritters with apple sauce, fish in beer batter, candied almonds, candied apples, cotton candy, but lately also some more keto-friendly offerings such as mushrooms and grilled salmon.

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: About 90g of tuna sashimi with a h/m dip of vinegar, erythritol, sambal oelek, ginger-garlic paste, cucumber and a bit of sesame oil. Half a DD keto roll with butter.

Snack: Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and cheese.

Dinner: The last of the ribeye cooked sous vide and then fried (about 100g), also the last of the sauerkraut with caraway seeds in cream, and the last of the cauli mash with butter and potato fibers. Some red wine.

Blood sugars amazingly well behaved today.
Lotus are these @ziggy_w. A nice little coffee biscuit, great to dunk in coffee but at 5 or 6g carbs that's why I limit to 1 biscuit unless carbs have been ridiculously low. 1 biscuit hardly disturbs the BGs and, for all they are a plain biscuit, they just taste good!

https://www.lotusbiscoff.com/en-gb/products/lotus-biscoff

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes re dry October! Was just talking about that this afternoon with No3 daughter. I donate regularly to a Macmillan so don’t think I’ll do the whole sponsorship thing. I’ll just bung a bit extra in at the end of the month ( maybe what I’ve saved by not buying wine?) are you doing it?
I have a monthly direct debit to MacMillan & Cancer Research UK and have done for years.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Goonergal & @Chook - deep fried pizza in batter ewwwww but double ewwwwwwwewwwww for deep fried oreos.
Bed 6.7 FBG 6.4

A lot of back and forward today. Boys to school as normal then straight to chiropodist. After that had to get son with his work stuff and DIL to her clinic as she had a new fancy treatment table arriving today and restrictions mean they have to get it into the studio. After picking up boys it was back to get son (table had arrived) drop him home then take two complaining boys back to mine. I had one last trip at 8pm to get DIL once her clinic ended. Just relaxing now.

B. TAG and a very quick slice of LC toast with pate.
L. 2 GF crackers with pate.
D. Did that Mexican chicken breast again with the spicy mixed beans. 2 squares Godiva.

Eldest to younger brother. Are you coming out to play? No. Why? My friend is grounded. Why? He bought a Venus Fly Trap. How? He said "Alexa, I want to buy a Venus Fly Trap" and he did.

I knew there was a reason I don't have Alexa or her variants!

Reactions: zauberflote

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First long drive since my feet ops. Moved daughter, well her belongings, into her new Uni house in Cardiff today. She came back home with me again as we are going on our family holiday next week, postponed from June.
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: tin of Pepsi Max and birthday cake phd bar
Late Lunch nothing! We had planned to go to Wetherspoons but social distancing was rubbish, so just stopped for a coconut cappuccino in Costa. (it seems Covid precautions aren’t adhered to so strictly in Wales!)
Dinner: spaghetti bolognese with fried courgette slices followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
BG hasn’t dropped below 6 today. Can’t believe the panic of eating 1 sultana at the mindfulness course yesterday would cause this much stress. I really must man up. ( of course it may be nothing to do with that but I did seriously over react)
Breakfast was black coffee
Lunch was salmon fillet, 1/2 avocado, 1hb egg and a bit of salad with h/ m ranch dressing. 1 DGF raspberry brownie
Dinner- roast chicken with the buttery parmesany cabbage I found on the LC recipe thread. Blowed if I can find it again though. 2 glasses red wine.
@Brunneria keeping everything crossed for you all and extra hugs to Mr B and No 3

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.

Yes, and so is Mr C - same idea as you - just contributing extra at the end of the month. Plus, of course, its good for our livers. I did dry January and felt better for it. x

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Goonergal & @Chook - deep fried pizza in batter ewwwww but double ewwwwwwwewwwww for deep fried oreos.
Bed 6.7 FBG 6.4

A lot of back and forward today. Boys to school as normal then straight to chiropodist. After that had to get son with his work stuff and DIL to her clinic as she had a new fancy treatment table arriving today and restrictions mean they have to get it into the studio. After picking up boys it was back to get son (table had arrived) drop him home then take two complaining boys back to mine. I had one last trip at 8pm to get DIL once her clinic ended. Just relaxing now.

B. TAG and a very quick slice of LC toast with pate.
L. 2 GF crackers with pate.
D. Did that Mexican chicken breast again with the spicy mixed beans. 2 squares Godiva.

Eldest to younger brother. Are you coming out to play? No. Why? My friend is grounded. Why? He bought a Venus Fly Trap. How? He said "Alexa, I want to buy a Venus Fly Trap" and he did.

I knew there was a reason I don't have Alexa or her variants!

I didn't know you could do that with Alexa! I've got several Alexa devices now but I won't try it out. The worst I've had (so far) is her talking to herself in the middle of the night.

Reactions: maglil55

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well ... I have tried both deep fried mars bar and pizza crunch from the chippie years ago - there are many foods I miss from the chippie but the fried mars bar and pizza crunch are not missed by me at all!

@Brunneria I hope Mr B is ok - it must be a worry - take care

@ziggy_w the salmon and mushrooms sounds fab I must try it as I love both

Brunch - eggy sandwiches with mayo. Earl grey and double cream

Dinner - chicken and large salad. SF jelly & double cream

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, and so is Mr C - same idea as you - just contributing extra at the end of the month. Plus, of course, its good for our livers. I did dry January and felt better for it. x

I agree, it’s always better at the end! I used to do dry January but somehow got out of the habit. I wonder if our BGs will improve with the break we are giving our livers?

Reactions: maglil55