Recently been diagnosed with diabetes

Zama

Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have been diagnosed with diabetes after a random hbA1c test came back 115 mmol and I was overwhelmed with so much information and was told that I would need insulin! I am so shocked I'm only 30!

I was seen by the diabetes nurse and she put me on insulin and metaformin and I have the world of side effects. After one month exactly I had my hbA1c was 97 mmol. I am shocked with such harsh interventions my hbA1c has lowered slowly. I am on Humilin I - 10 units.

I have had my islet antibodies tested and it came back that I am t2. But they want to test me again in September 2021, because I 'might' be going through the honeymoon period. They want me to continue with the medication but I am sapped for energy and my body feels so different.

As of today I have stopped the insulin but I have been having snow vision and migraines. I just feel hopeless and I dont know what to do. When I do speak with the DN they keep telling me to take insulin and not listening to me . I want to go slow carbs and considering keto. But they keep scaring me into medication.

I am slightly over weight and have history of family with t2 . I know the odds are against me but I really want to lead a healthy life and get into remission.
I think t2 was induces after having covid 19 last year.

Sorry for the long thread,

I really need some advice and help.

Thank you all in advance ☺

Last edited:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed in November 2017, I was told to come back in the new year when I would be put on insulin.

Fortunately, that gave me the chance to to a little research first. I found this place amongst others. I kept coming back here. I decided keto was the way to go. Whithin 5 months, I waas in normal range, lost a couple of stone, made a load of friends, felt great.

122 at dx, 35 5 months later.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. There is nothing wrong with going low-carb and keto as long as you reduce the insulin to avoid a hypo. Use the meter to check that. To help confirm whether you are t2 or T1 you need the C-Peptide test as well as the antibody (GAD) test. This checks your own insulin production level.

Reactions: Zama

Zama

Hi. There is nothing wrong with going low-carb and keto as long as you reduce the insulin to avoid a hypo. Use the meter to check that. To help confirm whether you are t2 or T1 you need the C-Peptide test as well as the antibody (GAD) test. This checks your own insulin production level.

Hi Diabell,
Thank you for your response.
I did Cpeptide and antibodies test it came back that I am producing my own insulin.

Should I slowly reduce my insulin. I feel like I am getting headaches and snow vision whenever I stop it.

Zama

I was diagnosed in November 2017, I was told to come back in the new year when I would be put on insulin.

Fortunately, that gave me the chance to to a little research first. I found this place amongst others. I kept coming back here. I decided keto was the way to go. Whithin 5 months, I waas in normal range, lost a couple of stone, made a load of friends, felt great.

122 at dx, 35 5 months later.

Hi xfieldok,

Wow! That is great news. I am really happy for you.

Unfortunately I didnt have a choice. I just want to stop it all together. And do the slow carbs or low carb diet as well and see how I progress.

I am so happy to find this forum too. And I hope to meet many people as well.

Thank you for your response

Reactions: jjraak

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Zama,

I was another of those T2 diabetics, who has been told at diagnosis that I would have no choice but to go onto insulin with blood sugars as high as mine. Three months later after going low carb/keto, blood sugars dropped from an HbA1c of 100 to an HbA1c of 34. Drops like this are not uncommon on this forum as you've already seen in the post of @xfieldok. So, it's definitely possible to get back to normal levels and eliminate insulin and all other diabetes-related medication over time.

However, tbh it is probably not a good idea to walk around with uncontrolled high blood sugar levels as you are probably doing right now (we are not allowed to medical advice, but possibly insulin might still be warranted at this point).

I also agree with @Daibell -- a blood glucose meter is a very good idea to keep a check on your blood glucose levels while you change your diet. Low carb/keto can have a significant impact on blood sugar levels and it is possible that insulin at one point might drop them into too low. Ideally, you will want to work with your GP/nurse on this.

Reactions: Zama

Zama

Hi @Zama,

I was another of those T2 diabetics, who has been told at diagnosis that I would have no choice but to go onto insulin with blood sugars as high as mine. Three months later after going low carb/keto, blood sugars dropped from an HbA1c of 100 to an HbA1c of 34. Drops like this are not uncommon on this forum as you've already seen in the post of @xfieldok. So, it's definitely possible to get back to normal levels and eliminate insulin and all other diabetes-related medication over time.

However, tbh it is probably not a good idea to walk around with uncontrolled high blood sugar levels as you are probably doing right now (we are not allowed to medical advice, but possibly insulin might still be warranted at this point).

I also agree with @Daibell -- a blood glucose meter is a very good idea to keep a check on your blood glucose levels while you change your diet. Low carb/keto can have a significant impact on blood sugar levels and it is possible that insulin at one point might drop them into too low. Ideally, you will want to work with your GP/nurse on this.

Hi @ziggy_w

I have been measuring my sugars. Before I eat and 1.5hrs after. And I have been monitoring it right now as well. My readings have been ranging from. 6/7 mmol.

Thank you so much for your advice! I really appreciate your help.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That looks normal to me - but it might not feel it if your body has become used to high sugars.
Try to stay hydrated and eat a nourishing diet, that ought to help your metabolism pick up - and I do not mean the diet sheet that starts with porridge or cereal with skimmed milk or wholemeal bread with low fat spread.
Test at two hours after starting to eat to check that you are staying in the normal range, and all should go well - though I do hope that you soon leave behind the visual disturbances and migraines.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Zama

That looks normal to me - but it might not feel it if your body has become used to high sugars.
Try to stay hydrated and eat a nourishing diet, that ought to help your metabolism pick up - and I do not mean the diet sheet that starts with porridge or cereal with skimmed milk or wholemeal bread with low fat spread.
Test at two hours after starting to eat to check that you are staying in the normal range, and all should go well - though I do hope that you soon leave behind the visual disturbances and migraines.

Hi @Resurgam

Thank you for your kind words and response.
My body has been going through the ringer with the insulin but I feel good at the same time if that makes sense. I have been trying to maintain a nutritional balance with just slow carbs eg. Kidney beans & so on. And it been maintaining my blood sugars, ill have to wait and review in a few days to see the consistency.

Thank you again.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ziggy_w

I have been measuring my sugars. Before I eat and 1.5hrs after. And I have been monitoring it right now as well. My readings have been ranging from. 6/7 mmol.

Thank you so much for your advice! I really appreciate your help.

I agree with @Resurgam. Values between 6 mmol and 7 mmol look really good, so the changes you've made seem to be working. Really well done.

If you've been higher before, the lower blood glucose might feel weird initially (and might cause the "snow vision" and migranes) as your body has gotten used to the higher numbers. Your body will adjust, though, and the lower numbers will become your new normal. If you are on low-carb/keto, make sure you have enough salt in your diet -- this may help with some of the symptoms too.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you'll achieve the goals you've set for yourself. Good luck on your journey.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

If you want to have a look at recipes and meals that are low carb/keto then you can find many, many sites out there that offer a vast range of foods. One of my favourites is the www.dietdoctor.com website. There is an option to pay a subscription to get access to extra features, but this is optional. I only use the free parts of the site, and consider it a useful source of information.

If you decide to go medication free, then you can reduce your carbs right down to keto, as fast as you like.
However, if you decide to stay on insulin, then it is important that you reduce your carbs more slowly, to avoid hypos caused by insulin.

And one other thing, more and more people are finding that they have developed diabetes after covid. There is not yet enough information about how and why this happens. Does the covid just accelerate diabetes that was already developing in the background? Or does covid attack the insulin producing beta cells in the pancreas? Or is there some other process at work? Either way, people are being diagnosed with both T1 and T2 diabetes after covid, but it is still early days to know what will happen in the long term. So even if you get your blood glucose down with low carb, please keep monitoring your blood glucose and make sure that your doctor does too.

Hope that helps.

Sanarnbak

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Zamba,

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes when I was 25 years old. None of my siblings and parents have diabetes. I was the unfortunate one. Repeated infections ringed a bell in me to visit my doctor. My doctor ran all tests on me and I was quite a bit shocked to learn about my diabetes. I was able to control it through intermitten fasting, diet and exercise.

Unlike type 2 diabetes, Adult onset of type 2 diabetes needs insulin at some point. We just need to be aware of it. It is very much advised to visit your endocrinologist to check your insulin reserve and then follow appropriate treatment depending on your condition.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Zamba,

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes when I was 25 years old. None of my siblings and parents have diabetes. I was the unfortunate one. Repeated infections ringed a bell in me to visit my doctor. My doctor ran all tests on me and I was quite a bit shocked to learn about my diabetes. I was able to control it through intermitten fasting, diet and exercise.

Unlike type 2 diabetes, Adult onset of type 2 diabetes needs insulin at some point. We just need to be aware of it. It is very much advised to visit your endocrinologist to check your insulin reserve and then follow appropriate treatment depending on your condition.
Not sure you mean what you say here, do you mean onset of type 1?

if not then you are wrong, as type 2 contrary to the progressive label that some medical staff say doesn’t always lead to insulin and in many cases even when on drugs you can wind it backwards to do it diet alone

type 1 and some other types all bundled under the diabetic umbrella, of course, totally different

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Zama you have received some really good replies to your post with a lot of very helpful information.

It is good that your doctors want to test you again in September 2021. If you are a Type 1 going through the honeymoon period - insulin will be a life saver.

I am a T2 and was initially put straight on insulin because of an Hba1c of 125. Was on insulin for 4 years but was able to come off it when I joined this site and found out about the benefits of lowering carbs.

I absolutely agree with @Brunneria when she says that
'If you decide to go medication free, then you can reduce your carbs right down to keto, as fast as you like but if you decide to stay on insulin, then it is important that you reduce your carbs more slowly, to avoid hypos caused by insulin.'

It so important for your safety that you do follow this advice.

I still keep low carb and have now been off insulin for over 4 years. I think my last Hb1ac was 39.

Hopefully you will soon start feeling a lot better as your body gets used to all the changes that you are making to your diet and blood sugars.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Resurgam

Thank you for your kind words and response.
My body has been going through the ringer with the insulin but I feel good at the same time if that makes sense. I have been trying to maintain a nutritional balance with just slow carbs eg. Kidney beans & so on. And it been maintaining my blood sugars, ill have to wait and review in a few days to see the consistency.

Thank you again.
Watch out for foods described as low GI or slow carb - for some - like me, not only are they no advantage, I find that the expected carbs are far surpassed by the actual effect.
Beans are supposed to be partly indigestible and 'windy' - well, my gut don't seem to have got the memo as I see a response which is about 80 percent higher than it ought to be.
All these things are very individual, but if you start to see oddities keep an open mind on what could be causing it.

Reactions: jjraak

Zama

Hi and welcome,

If you want to have a look at recipes and meals that are low carb/keto then you can find many, many sites out there that offer a vast range of foods. One of my favourites is the www.dietdoctor.com website. There is an option to pay a subscription to get access to extra features, but this is optional. I only use the free parts of the site, and consider it a useful source of information.

If you decide to go medication free, then you can reduce your carbs right down to keto, as fast as you like.
However, if you decide to stay on insulin, then it is important that you reduce your carbs more slowly, to avoid hypos caused by insulin.

And one other thing, more and more people are finding that they have developed diabetes after covid. There is not yet enough information about how and why this happens. Does the covid just accelerate diabetes that was already developing in the background? Or does covid attack the insulin producing beta cells in the pancreas? Or is there some other process at work? Either way, people are being diagnosed with both T1 and T2 diabetes after covid, but it is still early days to know what will happen in the long term. So even if you get your blood glucose down with low carb, please keep monitoring your blood glucose and make sure that your doctor does too.

Hope that helps.
Thank you so much.

Zama

@Krystyna23040

Thank you so much for your kind words and advice. I have managed to keep my carbs very low and my BG reading have been ranging between 6/7mmols. I go to bed with a readings of 6.1/6.4 and fasted readings of 7.1/7.2.
I feel like myself again and have been a bit cross with myself as my husband has been pushing me to keto well before I ever knew I was diabetic.

I am so happy to hear your hbA1c is at a normal range. Gives me hope that it is achievable!

I am so grateful for all of the advice and kind words I've been receiving.
Thank you again