What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 this morning. Had a lovely break from classes yesterday afternoon. I walked to Notcutts garden centre and had wander around their shop and then a couple of coffees in their cafe while I read Saturday's newspaper. I haven't done that for over a year. The shop and cafe were almost completely empty - so no problem with social distancing.

Reactions: karen8967

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 9.8

Why?
I have just realised I forgot my diabetic meds yesterday, and possibly the day before.
I am not eating properly in this heat. Actually I am not eating. I can't this hot weather. I drank some unpasteurised milk the last two days, and drank coffee. Solid food caused heartburn two days ago and I threw up immediately with the pain of the heartburn. There is a garage near me which sells unpasteurised milk and thick cream to die for. They have a herd of beautiful cows.

I have taken my meds now!
I don't forget Popeyes meds!

I have to love you and leave you.
A crisis last night.
A power cut, which meant that the usb desk top fans which I was running off electricity with suitable adapters died...So no fans in my bedroom. Checked online, and it was quite a wide area.
I am surprised the power cut didn't happen sooner, because we have quite a few power cuts here despite living virtually next to two electricity power station.
I got my rechargeable led desk lamps out, I always keep them fully charged, and they tide me over, much safer than candles and cats.
Problem was nearly all my power packs were depleted and put on to recharge. So that wasn't happening now. And a few of them had packed in as they were old.
So now to love you and leave you. I will play catch up later. I have sourced some in a store about 7 miles away, so I am off and away...
Surely there won't be a run on power packs this this morning?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. Such contrasting Monday experiences and starts to Tuesday for forumites (is that a "thing?") The adventures of @gennepher The Indomitable would destroy lesser mortals. Chapeau ma'am, chapeau. @Krystyna23040 the Notcutts experience sounds perfect for you. @dunelm striking tree, enjoy the grandchildren and I hope TGITB is fully restored once castless. Aged parents? Julie and boys moved 91 yo MIL here (5 min walk) to keep an eye on her. Somehow she has lost track of what about four decades, breast cancer, new knees, a second set of replacement hips a few TIAs and AF can do to a person's ability to move furniture, garden and run a house:arghh: Thoughts and prayers with young Chloe @JohnEGreen. My fbg was 4.6 on Swipey - underwhelmed if I'm honest. I'm very grateful it was at that level but some honesty/realism is always useful I find. P world requires work (read time, money, sweat and calm discussion with some very close family:arghh:) . Walter Winterbottom put it nicely. You can take a cabbage around the world, show it all the art galleries and museums you like but it still comes back a cabbage. Have a poignant song from about 4 decades ago. Wurdz. Toodle Pip.

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
Good morning all. Such contrasting Monday experiences and starts to Tuesday for forumites (is that a "thing?") The adventures of @gennepher The Indomitable would destroy lesser mortals. Chapeau ma'am, chapeau. @Krystyna23040 the Notcutts experience sounds perfect for you. @dunelm striking tree, enjoy the grandchildren and I hope TGITB is fully restored once castless. Aged parents? Julie and boys moved 91 yo MIL here (5 min walk) to keep an eye on her. Somehow she has lost track of what about four decades, breast cancer, new knees, a second set of replacement hips and a few TIAs can do to a person's ability to move furniture, garden and run a house:arghh: Thoughts and prayers with young Chloe @JohnEGreen. My fbg was 4.6 on Swipey - underwhelmed if I'm honest. I'm very grateful it was at that level but some honesty/realism is always useful I find. P world requires work (read time, money, sweat and calm discussion with some very close family:arghh:) . Walter Winterbottom put it nicely. You can take a cabbage around the world, show it all the art galleries and museums you like but it still comes back a cabbage. Have a poignant song from about 4 decades ago. Wurdz. Toodle Pip.
Easy listening with calming scenery, Ian.

Have a good day all, a different day in prospect in Cumbria with cloudy skies.
D.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. Such contrasting Monday experiences and starts to Tuesday for forumites (is that a "thing?") The adventures of @gennepher The Indomitable would destroy lesser mortals. Chapeau ma'am, chapeau. @Krystyna23040 the Notcutts experience sounds perfect for you. @dunelm striking tree, enjoy the grandchildren and I hope TGITB is fully restored once castless. Aged parents? Julie and boys moved 91 yo MIL here (5 min walk) to keep an eye on her. Somehow she has lost track of what about four decades, breast cancer, new knees, a second set of replacement hips and a few TIAs and AF can do to a person's ability to move furniture, garden and run a house:arghh: Thoughts and prayers with young Chloe @JohnEGreen. My fbg was 4.6 on Swipey - underwhelmed if I'm honest. I'm very grateful it was at that level but some honesty/realism is always useful I find. P world requires work (read time, money, sweat and calm discussion with some very close family:arghh:) . Walter Winterbottom put it nicely. You can take a cabbage around the world, show it all the art galleries and museums you like but it still comes back a cabbage. Have a poignant song from about 4 decades ago. Wurdz. Toodle Pip.
Breaking news - so to speak - cast came off last night - shoes in evidence today - swiftly removed for paddling in the sea.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breaking news - so to speak - cast came off last night - shoes in evidence today - swiftly removed for paddling in the sea.
A proper Freedom Day - some are decidedly alternative. Not a day for paddling here. The sky is in tears for an unknown cause. I strongly suspect it was Cancel Culture no platforming summer. The Meeja heavily implicated.

Last edited:
Reactions: gennepher

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone from what looks to be quite a pleasant day here in the dark and dangerous north (despite the lies and deception at the beeb weather-watch station).
The wonder wheel of let’s go German with Zigeuner Schnitzel came in at 5.5 this am - must have been the Bavarian music in the background

Park - all birds matter feeding fest with the girl in the bubble and a repeat performance this morning I suspect. There is a cafe at the side of the lake. She likes to sit on a chair right up to the railings, swing her legs and arms through and wave and point at ducks and geese. She is trying to learn ‘heron’ but it’s a silent order of birds and they are very reluctant with facial expressions.

Art today - there are six bridges in the park, this is one of them. Can’t remember what day it is today - it’s all one big blur when you are having so much fun. Still, every day is a koffy day. I usually just drink water, very healthy, heated of course, then poured over some ground koffy beans.

View attachment 50589
A great little sketch of the bridge in the park @dunelm
My internet not very good, sorry, so only parts of this thread load....

Reactions: jjraak

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
7.25am FBG 5.6
We have had a happy surprise, our preferred man-who-can turned up for work yesterday.
Neither of us had remembered the last week-in-July arrangement made months ago, with all the worry about Mum and the walnut tree. MrSlim made a new schedule of works. We are both pleased with the progress. MrSlim is delighted to discover some more stonework hiding under the vinyl wallpaper and polystyrene lining. Graffiti on the wall dated it 28.05.2007 later than we had expected.
He and the man are working at heavy and dirty jobs. Makes clearing up a fallen walnut tree so much the pleasanter option.
Am going to use some of the sticks for supporting the mangetout. There are already some twiggy bits in amongst the French beans. Am trying to use as much of it as possible. The "waste" twigs are being piled up for burning, where there was a large patch of brambles and goosegrass. Hopefully there will be less of them next year.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Good to hear your sister took action and your mum is comparatively o.k. - pain isn't o.k. We were lucky how quickly paramedic then ambulance attended MIL for her TIA. Does seem to depend on where your are in the country. Our son's in laws live in France and have been in quarantine in Jersey for two weeks.
The nurses seemed to think it was first weekend out of lockdown syndrome. Many sporting and drink related injuries.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen and all who lost track of where time went.

6.1 this morning.

If their is the slightest change in my regime in the morning I forget to do my insulin then have to play catch up. Like this morning. Thankfully my life preserving medication is hard wired into what passes as my brain, but I have to take that after a breakfast, whether I want breakfast or not.

Well the BBC's work of science fiction and fantasy, the weather forecast is leading me and me's up the garden path today, chaos or chaotic, stuff the super computers I think I shall just look out of the window.

Anyway fellow posters, painters and gamers stay apart and enjoy what is left of today, what is right of today is on the unofficial secrets list. Now I must depart to another part of the ether where electrons are free to roam in the now you see me now you don't quantum world.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am trying to play catch up, but stuff isn't posting...it's my poor internet not this site, so sorry if I've missed/not replied to stuff :(

I was out early to find some power packs. I wanted the mid size, not the large size because it takes too long charging...12 hours plus. Plenty of the big power packs, plenty of the tiny useless ones, but only 6 left in the store which were medium sized. So I got them. They are recharging now while the leccy is back on...

I was in Poundland and they had rediculously cheap useless sized power packs (who buys them? Only useful for parts I would have thought). But Poundland shelves were literally half empty. And the stuff was very restricted. And something I had wanted...10 for £1 last week, was now 5 for a £1 today. So that is doubling in price. Who doubles my state pension money to pay for this? So I left it. I asked the till assistant and she insisted Poundland were doing a refit. I said, doing a refit while the store is remaining open? Oh yes she said. I am not sure what to believe, but some stuff had gone up, now being £3 instead of £1 that it was last week. So I said to the till assistant, "I suppose it will now be called ThreePoundland instead of Poundland". Oh no it will still be called Poundland she replied.

I wonder what is really going on here.

The weather forecast app hasn't actually caught up with the weather. The app tells me full sunshine with 12% chance of rain at this minute. For the last 15 minutes has actually been an almighty thunderstorm and driving rain....now we have clear blue skies again....

I should have got some bottles of water this morning. I forgot. We had a water shut off for a full day last week, and for half a day the week before. So I have been using up my bottled water.

I am absolutely shattered. I don't want to spend any more money, nor have to think how to source stuff or find solutions. I am mentally quite tired...

But the flocks of those tiny birds, mostly mum and dad sparrows at the moment with their babies demanding to be fed have descended on my feeders and rose bushes with the parents feeding their babies with the bugs on the rose bushes. And the parent sparrows demolishing my suet feeders. I think I need shares in the suet ball factory. And the goldfinches are keeping lookout for the sparrows making a racket each time, warning the sparrows when Merryweather and the Jade like cat come into my garden...

I can watch these birds all day long. It is therapeutic...

lindisfel

Expert
I saw your post about your mum being a 'tough old bird'!
I am glad things are not as bad as they first seemed, and the urgent need to travel immediately has been eased @SlimLizzy

This is the first rosefinch I have ever seen. I thought robin initially because the glimpse was so fleeting, but then it was wrong shape and colouring for robin, so googled when I got a longer closer look at it at the suet feeder. Also I have never been aware of a goldfinch in my garden, (apart from maybe once possibly fleetingly because of the bright red), but seen them elsewhere.
I have never much believed in feeding birds before, believing that the insects and grubs (I never use any pesticides or bad stuff) and berries in my garden would be enough. But since I have placed those suet feeders in my garden, outside my bedroom window (a few months ago) where I can even see them lying down or as I wake up, I have seen so much bird life, varieties, interactions, unusual behaviours (to me), and much more.

Thanks for the info on the moon, it looked so unusual.

Hi Gennepher,
Common Rosefinches are quite rare birds in the uk although some reach the UK in spring when they should be in Eastern Europe. Their song is quite distinctive.

We had one here in 1996 it sang for some time but never attracted a mate but kept trying to get off with a male Greenfinch!
Theres no future in it.

There are a few closely alied species, some from the States where I have seen two species of them in California.
The House Finch looks very similar to Common Rosefinch and is used as a caged bird in the UK, but a nice bird to see in the garden if escaped. However, rarities committees are notororiously picky with bird records and almost want a dna sample before they accept a record. ;)
Been there, done that and seen people upset.

Birding can get really serious, perhaps too serious.
Atb
Derek

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Gennepher,
Common Rosefinches are quite rare birds in the uk although some reach the UK in spring when they should be in Eastern Europe. Their song is quite distinctive.

We had one here in 1996 it sang for some time but never attracted a mate but kept trying to get off with a male Greenfinch!
Theres no future in it.

There are a few closely alied species, some from the States where I have seen two species of them in California.
The House Finch looks very similar to Common Rosefinch and is used as a caged bird in the UK, but a nice bird to see in the garden if escaped. However, rarities committees are notororiously picky with bird records and almost want a dna sample before they accept a record. ;)
Been there, done that and seen people upset.

Birding can get really serious, perhaps too serious.
Atb
Derek
Thanks for the information @lindisfel
I am not a serious birder, but I love watching what comes into my garden. There are more finches I think, but it is hard to ID with the glimpses being fleeting. But all the small birds are getting more and more used to me, and they are not as skittish, nor fly off when I appear. Then I can have a good look at them.
I walked out this afternoon because the small birds were agitated, more than usual. On my neighbour's roof were two ravens watching the small birds. I put my hands on my hips when I am trying to look bigger, and both ravens flew away.
The ravens are often seen every day on the cherry trees at the end of my garden, but I don't like seeing them on the ridge tiles of a house...

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My photo for today, inspiration from the small birds in my garden today, Popeye sleeping on my bed, and the two ravens on next door's roof...

04747010-3F65-4DDE-9FE4-50C2BF6E674F.jpeg

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh @gennepher

a day of mixed emotions
Frustration at the stores
And delights in the garden

As for weather apps

Best I found was dark skies.
Very on point and accurate.
Stolen by Apple for a kings ransom

So no longer available on droid

Working with AccuWeather now
( Not a patch on dark skies for a biker .
Dark skies, rain in 3,2,1, minutes accuracy, and show wind speeds much more clearly then accu does :rolleyes: )

But it's the best of the rest so far.

Not too sure how far you'd go, but battery pack/ chargers I have for starting car has a host of cable/connectors to fit most appliance and USB ports.

A couple of hours to recharge, but would do several nights easily I would have thought ?

mine was circa £40, but no longer on amazon.
Bought back in 2018

still working and charged several different cars at one time or other.

IMG_20210727_205529_resize_98.jpg
IMG_20210727_205450_resize_74.jpg

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.1 this morning. Today all classes are local so hopefully will get 2 dog walks if it doesn't rain this afternoon. We had a massive thunderstorm in Norwich yesterday with torrential rain. Thunderstorms are forecast here later this afternoon.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to Wednesday from a damp Forest Heath. Swipey was very 4.7ish today. Too close to 5 on Swipey for my liking but the right side of 5. I'm unconvinced about the wider benefits of LC despite recent bloods being normal and making things work for six years. @Krystyna23040 good news on staying local today. I don';t think thunderstorms have made it this far along the A11. I have promised Julie we will visit Norwich, I haven't been for decades, not even Carrow Road. She has only been to the UEA. We are in charge of the cutest granddaughter today:) KBO crew - it is what it is.

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
The duchess is not very happy this am, there was a small frog in the downstairs toilet!

They are obviously breeding in our septic tank across the road in such quantities they are coming up the sewage outflow pipe from the house. I saw two in the toilet one morning and could not do any other than flush them back down the pipe.
Life in the country is full of these little pleasures.;)
Cant do much atm I am still on light duties after cataract surgery!
It would better to flush before the lid is lifted if one is squeamish! :)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from our little house on the prairie here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of chicken in mango and coconut with a big portion of mushrooms in a garlic sauce rocked in at 5.5 this am.

Girl in the bubble delivered safely home to her primary carers and then over the moors to our little house on the prairie. Youngest son and wife arrives tomorrow with Little Miss Pamplemouse and the Ninky Nonks for a few days of fun and frolicks and then back to the house for a few days for trips to the beach.

I have been asked to produce a Willow tree for a tattoo. Good grief. I don’t have any issues for a bit of skin ink - I have one myself, just the one. I have done a few and may need to do more before I am happy. Still. Here is one. Hope that everyone has a magnificent time watching the parade of the bin lorry - whenever it passes your way. Must make some koffy.

upload_2021-7-28_8-2-46.jpeg