Status
Not open for further replies.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Re: Type 1 & Type 2 and this Forum

In fairness type 2 prescriptions on oral meds are at the gps discretion regarding test strips. They do not have to issue them. Yes, all should, but don't have to. You are very lucky. Type 2s also on insulin is different as they would be issued.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sw11bloke

by annepgill

'Sw11bloke not true I'm type 2 and get exactly the same prescription as my type 1 brother so I think some of the replies on this thread are a little biased I can see a lot of ppl leaving this forum because of a few narrow minded on it '

Annepgill
This is it. Not all T2 get free prescriptions. Some T2's are controlled by diet only because of obesity or something like that. If a diabetic is not on medication, they do not get free test strips on the NHS
SO to be clear, if there was a system showing that she was a T2 and not on medication and controlled by diet alone, she would not be getting incorrect advice and or waisting her MP's time because a fellow T2 on medication advised her to write to her MP stating that she has a right to free test strips!

Nobody is being narrow minded.If you or anyone else chose to leave this forum, then thats your choice.

All I am asking for is a system where we can identify the type of diabetes and the medication. This then makes it easier for a person to reply to and or easier for a person to read replies which relate to themselves. It will also benifit more people to gaining acurate information.

annepgill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance,racism
Yeah I'm gone mate you apparently don't want to know about other ppls health if they can help or vice versa big blowout over nothing most ppl say what type they are and are just here looking for help,advice and in some cases a sympathetic ear not from you or the likes of you obviously don't condescend to me either friend life's hard enough for us all good luck and health to you all..

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As I said earlier, just create or add to your Signature covering all of the relevant points so you don't even need to click on the poster's profile

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I think sw11bloke is getting a bit of a hard time here to be honest. If you don't agree with him, fine. He is not asking for separate forums for T1 or T2, just a way of recognising who is responding on various threads. I don't see how he can be blamed for people leaving a forum.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

annepgill said:
Yes Brett I am on insulin novo and lantus don't feel lucky though lol

Well thats why you get supplies on prescription. The original point being that a type 2 only on oral meds only are not prescribed strips, causing comments from all types which were not justified. some type 2s on oral meds are, but only at gps discretion and are not required to. Thats what I meant by being lucky as seen you were type 2 but didnt know you used insulin.
Perhaps there is a need to have identifiable info ready available, as had I seen u used insulin would not have referred to you as being lucky as you get scripts.

sw11bloke

Brett.. Im glad that these misunderstandings are happening right before our very eyes in this thread as it shows how easily mistakes are made and it shows how diverse diabetes and treatment is. i really do believe there is a need for this ready available identifiable information.

M01905 - thank you for your support. Perhaps I was not making myself clear and its the likes of you that has helped.

I for 1 did not know that type 2's used insulin. Learn something new everyday. A question... Are T'2's T2's if they use insulin or are they T1? anyone know the difference?

Rockape671

Have to completely agree with sw11bloke, the reason I've stopped using this forum is because of the confusion between type1 s and 2s and people trying to convince each other that they're both the same thing and that we're all in the same boat. We're not.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Type 2s use insulin for a few reasons.
Easy one being misdiagnosis.
Or, because type 2s are insulin resistant, can cause exhaustion of insulin producing cells, requiring a top up by injecting, or, if producing very little due to excessive production of their own can become soley reliant on injections, but, often in much larger quantities to type 1s due to the insulin resistance.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm a Genetic T2 married for 40+ years to a lifelong T1. I find much of what works for one of us is very relevent to the other. By helping T1 get his bg DOWN, I've helped avoid his going on dialysis for kidney failure. Whilst he followed NHS bg guidelines, his health deteriorated for years.
Hana

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
sw11bloke said:
A question... Are T'2's T2's if they use insulin or are they T1? anyone know the difference?
T1s are T1s cos they have an autoimmune type goosed pancreas. A T2 remains a T2 even if his pancreas pegs out from overwork as it is not autoimmune based. Same with a T2 who goes on insulin due to insulin resistance - still T2.
p.s. Hope you don't mind a T2 answering this post :lol: :lol:
Just joking mate we may have different diseases, but we're stuck in the same stinkin' trench! :thumbup: :thumbup:

K

Kat100

Hi annegill, yes I have thought this very narrow minded, and thought what am I doing sitting here reading it...
I could find better things to do with my time...
However I guess I am here because I am a t2 yes a mere t2 at the moment first year.....
I just want to part of a supportive group open to all discussions. Know one here really knows what is best for another person it's just sharing information and experiences, I keep an open mind....and make my own choices.....

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
sw11bloke said:
To make myself (the OP) clear...especially to the likes of Andy1234, I have said a few times that Im not looking to segregate. I am asking for a system that can easily recognise who is posting a reply. A system that would quickly ID whether its a t1, t2, t1.5 and whether they on MDI or a pump.
Its got nothing to do with a 2 tier system or equality.

I was once told to eat some cheese when i felt hypo. When I looked at the persons profile, it was a type 2. If that is how a type 2 deals with a hypo, I dont know but certainly not correct information for a type 1.
I also read advice given to a T2 from a T1 advising them to do DAFNE. DAFNE was developed for people with Type 1 diabetes and as such is not appropriate for people with Type 2 diabetes. A T2 would be more suited to DESMOND.

The other day there was a T2 saying that her GP would not give her test strips for free on the NHS and that she had to pay for it. She never mentioned she was a T2 and the thread worked so many diabetics up.... telling her to go to her MP etc. T2's do not get the same presciptions as a T1.

All that could have been avoided if at the top of the thread, we saw her profile name and whether she was a T1, T2 or a T1.5... etc.

especially the likes of Andy12345? lol care to elaborate?

K

Kat100

Added thought, no one individual has to disclose what type of diabetic they are.....do they ?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Kat100 said:
Added thought, no one individual has to disclose what type of diabetic they are.....do they ?

Of course not, but would be helpful to know depending on the nature of question being asked.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why would anyone posting here not want others to know what type of DB they have
CAROL

K

Kat100

Just making the point that I am happy to disclose, but others may not be, it really is all about sharing and caring. But I do make my own choices after reading what has been written, it's an open forum so there are going to be so many differences....

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
sw11bloke said:
A system that would quickly ID whether its a t1, t2, t1.5 and whether they on MDI or a pump.
Its got nothing to do with a 2 tier system or equality.
could become a bit messy though. I know its taking it a bit ad absurdum but how would we code a T2 who was on diet & exercise for a while who had been misdiagnosed and was actually T1.5 and coped with that, graduating to MDI and was carer to a T1on a pump. They would be eminently qualified to comment on a lot of different areas but the classification would be horrendous :lol: :lol:
On a real world example take Hanadr she is a T2 on D&E and a carer to a T1 yet today AlexMBrennan accused her of not being experienced enough to comment on a T1 forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.