What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B. Back to my weird fishy concoctions. Tablespoon prawn cocktail, 3 mini plum tomatoes, fresh anchovies , lettuce and 3 walnuts. Hubby said he has no idea how I can eat that in the mornings.
Tassimo Americano Grande with a dash of cream.
Happy birthday Mr Maglil. Your breakfast sounds very like the first of the 5 or 6 courses some German ladies munched their way through when we were on holiday in Cyprus last November. Biggest difference being the 2-3 glasses of champagne they drank - amazing how free champagne for breakfast gives some people a thirst. Strangely, I never did see any of them when I was in the gym

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all and welcome to @connie104 - you seem to be doing well. I find it helps me during day when know have to record what I eat!
Breakfast one sausage , rasher of bacon and egg fried in macadamian nut oil and coffee with inulin
Lunch four seeded crispbreads with chicken liver pate and five walnut halves followed by small slice of choc olive oil cake and fage yoghurt
Afternoon two pots of green tea with mint
Dinner celeriac, spinach and chicken curry served with four of my new batch of crispbread with small glass red wine followed by strawberries and fage yoghurt.
New batch of crispbread even better - this time I oiled two pieces of baking parchment and used them to roll out the mix very very thinly then cut into rectangles this way I managed to make about 40 thin crispbreads so about 0.2 g per crispbread and have a lovely crunch reminiscent of my much missed poppadoms! I’m starting to think should go into production as they stay crisp in tin for a week but usually get eaten by me and family within a few days!

@shelley262 am I using the same recipe as you? From DietDoctor website?
I cut mine into 30 which it says is 1g carb each.
I think they are great but would like them even more if I could have more of them!

meJulie

Hi @meJulie ive now been low carb high fat for last 11 months although have moved more to more Mediterranean healthy fats recently as my LDL cholesterol is higher than I wanted. I stArted in my first month on Low carb programme and had some success- quite high fat and didn’t worry about calories, then moved to a month of one meal a day fasting 23 hours and eating one meal within a hour. Rest of time just had black coffee, tea and water - followed advice of Dr Fung and also ideas on www.dietdoctor.com. That month last October/ November I think I was very low calorie not deliberately but only had one meal and that month saw my most significant weight loss and bg lowering. I then continued on two days one meal a day and rest 18/6 fasting so two meals a day. I kept to low carb below 20g per day and basically carried on until got to my ideal weight and brought my hbaca1 down. I also had cream in coffee in later months during fasting time when closer to target. Now I’m maintaining weight and bgs I eat three smallish meals but still don’t go above 30g of carb per day and stay in ketosis. I do lose too much weight if I don’t. I can honestly say that once I was in keto - Burning fat mode - my body provided the fat fuel so I didn’t feel hungry. Now if I delayed eating I would feel hungry as no fat stores left.
Hope this helps I was and remain highly motivated having a mum with deteriorating kidney function as a result of years of type 2 diabetes and this gave me a wake up call that I needed. You need to have a look at all the resources out there including the low carb programme and diet dr site and see if there is anything that interests you but the bottom line for me was lowering m6 carbs below 20g. Think you need to keep going it can be good idea to record on this thread what you eat as we may be able to help. We’re all different and some of us (not me) don’t need to go as low carb as I did. Also when fasting probably only had 7g max in that one meal but others like @Rachox hasnt needed to go this low or fast at all. Some people too do I gather take a bit longer to see results on scales some have to get bgs down more first and that is a sensible way to target bgs before weight regarding weight loss as a bonus. Checking your bloods before and two hours after your meal can really help to stop any spikes.

meJulie

Hi @meJulie ive now been low carb high fat for last 11 months although have moved more to more Mediterranean healthy fats recently as my LDL cholesterol is higher than I wanted. I stArted in my first month on Low carb programme and had some success- quite high fat and didn’t worry about calories, then moved to a month of one meal a day fasting 23 hours and eating one meal within a hour. Rest of time just had black coffee, tea and water - followed advice of Dr Fung and also ideas on www.dietdoctor.com. That month last October/ November I think I was very low calorie not deliberately but only had one meal and that month saw my most significant weight loss and bg lowering. I then continued on two days one meal a day and rest 18/6 fasting so two meals a day. I kept to low carb below 20g per day and basically carried on until got to my ideal weight and brought my hbaca1 down. I also had cream in coffee in later months during fasting time when closer to target. Now I’m maintaining weight and bgs I eat three smallish meals but still don’t go above 30g of carb per day and stay in ketosis. I do lose too much weight if I don’t. I can honestly say that once I was in keto - Burning fat mode - my body provided the fat fuel so I didn’t feel hungry. Now if I delayed eating I would feel hungry as no fat stores left.
Hope this helps I was and remain highly motivated having a mum with deteriorating kidney function as a result of years of type 2 diabetes and this gave me a wake up call that I needed. You need to have a look at all the resources out there including the low carb programme and diet dr site and see if there is anything that interests you but the bottom line for me was lowering m6 carbs below 20g. Think you need to keep going it can be good idea to record on this thread what you eat as we may be able to help. We’re all different and some of us (not me) don’t need to go as low carb as I did. Also when fasting probably only had 7g max in that one meal but others like @Rachox hasnt needed to go this low or fast at all. Some people too do I gather take a bit longer to see results on scales some have to get bgs down more first and that is a sensible way to target bgs before weight regarding weight loss as a bonus. Checking your bloods before and two hours after your meal can really help to stop any spikes.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very hot today from the time I got up whereas it has taken an hour to three to heat up until now. @DJC3 I cancelled my subscription to the Telegraph as the loonies both above and below the line were getting more eccentric by the hour. The offer of free Washington Post access with subscription has also ended ( WP still send me access) but those wine lists were good.

Ah, in that case... Morrisons The Best Chianti Classico 2015 £7.50 they rate it v highly.

Reactions: ianpspurs

meJulie

Hi Shelley

thanks so much for your reply. So impressed you had 1 meal a day for a month, I don't think I could manage that. I feel I need some support do you think it's worth joining diet doctor

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 am I using the same recipe as you? From DietDoctor website?
I cut mine into 30 which it says is 1g carb each.
I think they are great but would like them even more if I could have more of them!
No I’ve adapted mine only use about half of ingredients and have much thinner did post my adapted recipe a few days ago as a photo image if you scroll back. But worked my carbs out from my ingredients(nutrition panels equals 9 carbs per batch) and quantities I use a total of 160g of dry ingredients including 50g mixed whole seeds, 100g milled flaxseed and 10g of psyllium husk. Have upped water this time round to 150mls and use hot water as it swells and absorbs this - makes it bigger, also one beaten egg no cheese just salt and pepper. Hope you like variation as you say you can eat more! I worked it out as 0.3 when did 30 from this mix and 0.225 when squeezed 40 thins out of it. They are fairly small but delish. Hope this helps.

Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Shelley

thanks so much for your reply. So impressed you had 1 meal a day for a month, I don't think I could manage that. I feel I need some support do you think it's worth joining diet doctor
To be honest if I had thought I’m going to do this for a month I’d never have achieved it. I just started doing it to see how it felt and to my surprise didn’t feel hungry, felt so well and bgs were dropping as was weight and these things helped motivate me. I did take lots of support initially from low carb programme but it was free then and it’s fairly basic. Re diet dr membership I haven’t needed to join I took a free months trial initially which really helped but then didn’t subscribe because only wanted access to recipes but think others do to get access to personalised menu planning etc. Try a free trial and see what you think.good luck and don’t view it as a mountain it really is one day at a time.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I’ve adapted mine only use about half of ingredients and have much thinner did post my adapted recipe a few days ago as a photo image if you scroll back. But worked my carbs out from my ingredients(nutrition panels equals 9 carbs per batch) and quantities I use a total of 160g of dry ingredients including 50g mixed whole seeds, 100g milled flaxseed and 10g of psyllium husk. Have upped water this time round to 150mls and use hot water as it swells and absorbs this - makes it bigger, also one beaten egg no cheese just salt and pepper. Hope you like variation as you say you can eat more! I worked it out as 0.3 when did 30 from this mix and 0.225 when squeezed 40 thins out of it. They are fairly small but delish. Hope this helps.

Thanks Ive hidden mine at the back of the cupboard so nobody else sees them, but will try your variation next time if I can have 3 for the price of one that’s a real bonus!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Happy birthday Mr Maglil. Your breakfast sounds very like the first of the 5 or 6 courses some German ladies munched their way through when we were on holiday in Cyprus last November. Biggest difference being the 2-3 glasses of champagne they drank - amazing how free champagne for breakfast gives some people a thirst. Strangely, I never did see any of them when I was in the gym
Only time I had champagne for breakfast was long haul flights in the days when my work made it easy to clock up sufficient frequent flyer points to fly business class. A buck fizz went down well (obviously pre diabetic as well). With family in Australia and USA I always saved them up to travel in comfort especially the Australia haul.
I do like my fishy plate in hot weather though and I'm definitely not German. I suspect it was all the trips to Italy that did it (Certainly the fresh anchovies). Hate the little brown salty ones but fresh anchovies are lovely.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold roast chicken salad, couldn’t face a hot roast chicken in this weather! Followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: just a glass of Diet Pepsi, didn’t feel hungry like I usually do mid aft.
Dinner: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet at ILs followed by one Jaffa cake.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, in that case... Morrisons The Best Chianti Classico 2015 £7.50 they rate it v highly.
OK, Thanks @DJC3 that's good as Morrisons is the nearest supermarket to us and has cheapest petrol and diesel in the area as well as cheap wonky avocados which are dirt cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: smoked salmon,avocado, scrambled egg. 2 cups coffee and cream.
L: M&S nibbles - olives, nuts, chilli prawns and cheese/ ham rollitos. A G&T and 1 coconut and macadamia square.

D: fluffy onelette made with added whipped extra egg white (which was leftover from the other day) Gruyere cheese and mushrooms. Lazy chocolate mousse to follow.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks

Thanks Shelley

i need someone to guide me may be diet doctor subscription?
Free months trial gives you access to all the site offers and then you can either move to paid subscription or cancel if it’s not for you.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Shelley

I agree with @shelley262. I did the Diet Doctor 2 week challenge which gave you 2 weeks of 20g or less per day. What I liked was it was all planned out for you and you got your shopping list. I also did the free trial.
At that point the menus required some fiddling about as you could remove items but you couldn't create your own menus from the low carb /keto base. Now you can create your own menus as well as easily alter the existing ones. Now they also have all the nutritional info on them so it's come on in leaps and bounds since I first joined. It's a lot more than the menus. You can ask them questions, you have access to online tutorials ( a lot of Dr Jason Fung s stuff), stories from other members. I certainly haven't regretted joining and it's only £6 something a month (you pay in $ so it varies with the exchange rate).
The 2 week challenge is a good place to start though.

meJulie

To be honest if I had thought I’m going to do this for a month I’d never have achieved it. I just started doing it to see how it felt and to my surprise didn’t feel hungry, felt so well and bgs were dropping as was weight and these things helped motivate me. I did take lots of support initially from low carb programme but it was free then and it’s fairly basic. Re diet dr membership I haven’t needed to join I took a free months trial initially which really helped but then didn’t subscribe because only wanted access to recipes but think others do to get access to personalised menu planning etc. Try a free trial and see what you think.good luck and don’t view it as a mountain it really is one day at a time.
Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. Your support alone has helped :)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: smoked salmon,avocado, scrambled egg. 2 cups coffee and cream.
L: M&S nibbles - olives, nuts, chilli prawns and cheese/ ham rollitos. A G&T and 1 coconut and macadamia square.

D: fluffy onelette made with added whipped extra egg white (which was leftover from the other day) Gruyere cheese and mushrooms. Lazy chocolate mousse to follow.
Ah a souffle omelette. Haven't had one of them in yonks.

Reactions: DJC3

meJulie

I agree with @shelley262. I did the Diet Doctor 2 week challenge which gave you 2 weeks of 20g or less per day. What I liked was it was all planned out for you and you got your shopping list. I also did the free trial.
At that point the menus required some fiddling about as you could remove items but you couldn't create your own menus from the low carb /keto base. Now you can create your own menus as well as easily alter the existing ones. Now they also have all the nutritional info on them so it's come on in leaps and bounds since I first joined. It's a lot more than the menus. You can ask them questions, you have access to online tutorials ( a lot of Dr Jason Fung s stuff), stories from other members. I certainly haven't regretted joining and it's only £6 something a month (you pay in $ so it varies with the exchange rate).
The 2 week challenge is a good place to start though.
Thanks Magill

Good to know