Bbc Food Programme Criticises Eatwell Plate

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
TYVM

Professor Louis Levy, Head of Nutrition Science at Public Health England. I will be ignoring his advice.

Quoted from the Dibetes.UK synopsis:

"For Dr Malhotra, the way to salvage the Eatwell Plate is simple: “We need to make sure that the guidance is based upon the totality of scientific evidence on what constitutes healthy eating.”

Confusion
Prof Levy disagrees that change is needed. In fact, he argues calls for amendments stem from confusion over “fad” diets that are not properly backed up by medical science.

“The real thing about the Eatwell guide is that it’s there to understand what a healthy diet is,” he said. “The difficulty we have in the UK is that people aren’t eating a diet consistent with the Eatwell Plate and the continued commentary from people from a non-evidenced based view about different fad diets or approaches means that people are confused.”

So if what Prof Levy says is correct, that people in the UK are NOT eating the Plate, that is good news. (Except that maybe the majority are eating even worse?) But how could anyone disagree with Dr Malhotra's conclusion?

Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quoted from the Dibetes.UK synopsis:

. “The difficulty we have in the UK is that people aren’t eating a diet consistent with the Eatwell Plate and the continued commentary from people from a non-evidenced based view about different fad diets or approaches means that people are confused.”

So if what Prof Levy says is correct, that people in the UK are NOT eating the Plate, that is good news. (Except that maybe the majority are eating even worse?) But how could anyone disagree with Dr Malhotra's conclusion?

These stats produced by the Public Health Collaboration do not seem to support what Prof. Levy says.

https://phcuk.org/issues/

EDIT: I see these stats originate in the PHE which is Prof. Levy's own organisation.

Reactions: Prem51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for link. Very interesting. Professor Levy seems to think he knows what's best for you and me. How wrong can a person be and get away with it?
The BBC just posted the full interview with him.. its even worse than the edited version in the prog..
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06cp9kq
unfortunately Sheila misses a trick when she doesn't ask where the well established science for the Eatwell comes from.

Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We're doomed Mr Mainwaring, doomed.
He just mainly kept on saying the same thing.. well repsected studies.. even though of course there really aren't any for Eatwell just old stuff that has never been re-assessed by SACN.

Reactions: dbr10

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
As i understand it, the term "Healthy Eating" covers a lot of conditions. Surely it should be tailored for the individual?
In a hospital in Japan they don't call it catering any more it is now "Oral Nutritional Therapy"

They have a multi disciplinary team and meals are tailored for each individual patient.

May be thats how we should regard it now its not eating a diet it's therapy.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He just mainly kept on saying the same thing.. well repsected studies.. even though of course there really aren't any for Eatwell just old stuff that has never been re-assessed by SACN.
Yes and some of his information seems to date back to Keys. Fat clogs up your arteries kind of thing. I prefer Kendrick on this subject.

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2013/08/09/the-most-unutterable-balls/

The impartiality of the SACN members is best demonstrated by the adverts they take out in national newpapers.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cd-1I-6WAAA1-mO.jpg:large

And the rest of his ideas seem outdated or not backed up with research.

Reactions: dbr10 and Prem51

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
He talks very well considering he is taking out of his ****.

Edited by mod for language

Reactions: dbr10

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
In a hospital in Japan they don't call it catering any more it is now "Oral Nutritional Therapy"

We're becoming big on euphemisms over here in Aussie too. Speed humps are now referred to as "traffic calming devices". The local gaol is now "Correctional Services"

lindisfel

Expert
We're becoming big on euphemisms over here in Aussie too. Speed humps are now referred to as "traffic calming devices". The local gaol is now "Correctional Services"
You be telling me next not all the women are called Sheila and the blokes called Bruce nowadays!
I'll stopped being shocked now Aussies are getting politically correct and rub sandpiper on cricket balls. :)