Booster jabs

RobertJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've just had the email saying I need a booster jab. I've had three jabs in total, the last on 10th December, 2021. I've had Covid-19 twice, to my knowledge. Once in January 2022 and again at the start of this month. The first time was incredibly mild, the second time even milder than that.

I don't really see what this booster jab is doing for my health. It feels so bold just not having it, but what is the actual point? If fear of being an "anti-vaxxer" wasn't a factor, I don't think it would feel like a bold decision.

I've actually got an appointment with the diabetic clinic on Monday and might bring it up then, but I imagine they'll just say I definitely need it and it's a brilliant idea.

What are other people's thoughts on this?

Reactions: dosh

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just had the email saying I need a booster jab. I've had three jabs in total, the last on 10th December, 2021. I've had Covid-19 twice, to my knowledge. Once in January 2022 and again at the start of this month. The first time was incredibly mild, the second time even milder than that.

I don't really see what this booster jab is doing for my health. It feels so bold just not having it, but what is the actual point? If fear of being an "anti-vaxxer" wasn't a factor, I don't think it would feel like a bold decision.

I've actually got an appointment with the diabetic clinic on Monday and might bring it up then, but I imagine they'll just say I definitely need it and it's a brilliant idea.

Its your choice end of the day.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Haven't had the first let alone the 4th...

Reactions: dosh and Lainie71

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Personally I've had 4 so far and just been invited for my 5th.

Though do note that as a Type 1 my immune system is considered weaker - though in my eyes its just more stupid as it tends to attack the wrong thing - currently its having a go at my thyroid (not helpful)

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

It is your decision.
I have other medical conditions on top of Type1. I have had four vaccinations, and just over a month ago I started to get text reminders to book the current booster. I haven't booked it yet, because I've been waiting for a day when I feel really well. (!) I had bad side-effects from the first two jabs and lesser side-effects from the 3rd and 4th vaccinations. However, I do not regret having them.
Six people that I know have had Covid in the last month. Two ended in intensive care and one died. I am talking of these six people within 5-mile radius on Surrey/Hampshire border. Covid it is still much around, but everyone needs to decide for themselves if they want the booster or not.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
a difficult question... Your diabetes has a bad effect on your blood vessels, covid also has a bad effect on blood vessels, so it would be better not to summarize these effects. On the other hand, t1 is an autoimmune aggression and your immune system has already killed your beta cells and who knows if it won't kill something else. I got sick with covid before I had time to get vaccinated and it had a bad effect on my eyesight, but I don't know what would have happened if I had been vaccinated. In any case, it's up to you to decide what's best for you

RobertJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is your decision.
I have other medical conditions on top of Type1. I have had four vaccinations, and just over a month ago I started to get text reminders to book the current booster. I haven't booked it yet, because I've been waiting for a day when I feel really well. (!) I had bad side-effects from the first two jabs and lesser side-effects from the 3rd and 4th vaccinations. However, I do not regret having them.
Six people that I know have had Covid in the last month. Two ended in intensive care and one died. I am talking of these six people within 5-mile radius on Surrey/Hampshire border. Covid it is still much around, but everyone needs to decide for themselves if they want the booster or not.

Do you know if the people who ended up in intensive care and died were vaccinated?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I actually caught Covid about 3 weeks ago - for me (after my 4 vaccinations) it was mostly just like a bad cold for 2 weeks - I still have a cough after another week, but then I have had issues with persistent coughs before (about 8 years ago was the most recent)and my acid reflux may also not be helping said cough.

So yeah they didn't stop me getting it but I can cope with a bad cold (though I was feeling quite sorry for myself at the time lol)

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't see the vaccine as something to stop me getting covid (it didn't). I see it as something that stops me getting a severe version of covid.
I was not aware they were giving boosters to people on basis of diabetes alone because, as @Rokkab mention our immune system is just more stupid, not necessarily weaker.
Diabetes is not reason I have been invited for a booster, that is just my age - age is more of a risk than well managed diabetes.

My reason for getting the vaccine (and taking tests) is to protect people who are more at risk like my parents.

RobertJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm surprised to hear various people are heading towards jab number five. It was only today I was told to have number four. I don't think it's strange to observe that four of five injections in a year and a bit (early 2021 to present) is a lot.

Laurence316

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Had mine along with my flu jab so did the Mrs she has also had Covid twice but as she works in a old people's home it's a good idea we have any jab they offer as 1 the strain just like the flu changes and we would rather have a little pain in our arm and headache for a couple of days than pass it on to elderly relatives or neighbours to be honest but just like others say its totally your choice and no one should tell you otherwis

RobertJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't see the vaccine as something to stop me getting covid (it didn't). I see it as something that stops me getting a severe version of covid.
I was not aware they were giving boosters to people on basis of diabetes alone because, as @Rokkab mention our immune system is just more stupid, not necessarily weaker.
Diabetes is not reason I have been invited for a booster, that is just my age - age is more of a risk than well managed diabetes.

My reason for getting the vaccine (and taking tests) is to protect people who are more at risk like my parents.

Taking tests protects people at risk but a vaccine does not. If you don't have Covid you can't spread it and therefore if an unvaccinated person tests negative they are just as safe around vulnerable people as anyone else.

I am sorry to be direct here but we need to move on from this outlook that being vaccinated somehow has a benefit on other vulnerable people. We learned long ago that the vaccine does not protect against infection or transmission and therefore all that matters when dealing with vulnerable people is whether you have the virus or not at the time you are with them.

Last edited:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Taking tests protects people at risk but a vaccine does not. If you don't have Covid you can't spread it and therefore if an unvaccinated person tests negative they are just as safe around vulnerable people as anyone else.

I am sorry to be direct here but we need to move on from this outlook that being vaccinated someone has a benefit on other vulnerable people. We learned long ago that the vaccine does not protect against infection or transmission and therefore all that matters when dealing with vulnerable people is whether you have the virus or not at the time you are with them.
I have not investigated this in detail. However, I have read (more than once including in the book Vaxxers) that the covid vaccines reduce the amount of virus that is shed when we are positive. Thus significantly reducing the transmissibility.
Tester certainly helps but now we have to pay for tests, we are taking them much less often. For example, I am willing fund the tests to protect my parents but when I do not test every time I am about to go on public transport.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Ok this is an easy one for me but i'll take the flu jab and the booster together on my next visit, to me it's about building immunity, it doesn't make me less vulnerable to catching it, just helps me fight it more easily.

If I caught it i'd isolate until the test reported a negative though - my daughter's school policy is that they are still have to attend unless they are not well enough which seems bonkers but that's the way our Government have instructed them to handle it.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
On top of T2 I have a heart condition called Atrial fibrillation.
On top of that I have a lung condition called bronchiectasis.
On top of that I have benign but very troublesome tumours on my spinal cord.
On top of that I have very bad arthritis in my spinal column apart from all that I'm fine and enjoying life at 70 living in a small Welsh village in the hills.
I decided against vaccination with the experimental stuff but had a Pneumonia vaccine for my bronchiectasis.
Got Covid in February of this year dealt with it at home as it was reasonably manageable.
I don't really see the point of vaccines that last twelve weeks including the so called booster.
Good job the polio and small pox vaccines didn't work like this modern stuff ay?

• Agree

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had all of my booster shots, if they say there is another booster available to me I will get that also.

Although it's not mandatory, I still wear a face mask when I go out.

39BSZl6.jpg

RobertJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On top of T2 I have a heart condition called Atrial fibrillation.
On top of that I have a lung condition called bronchiectasis.
On top of that I have benign but very troublesome tumours on my spinal cord.
On top of that I have very bad arthritis in my spinal column apart from all that I'm fine and enjoying life at 70 living in a small Welsh village in the hills.
I decided against vaccination with the experimental stuff but had a Pneumonia vaccine for my bronchiectasis.
Got Covid in February of this year dealt with it at home as it was reasonably manageable.
I don't really see the point of vaccines that last twelve weeks including the so called booster.
Good job the polio and small pox vaccines didn't work like this modern stuff ay?

This is interesting to read. I'm glad to hear your experience with Covid was mild. As you may have seen in the original post, my two experiences have been incredibly mild, hence my hesitation about the need for a fourth injection in only eighteen months. I am 32, I play sports and go running, my blood pressure is always really good, and I'm not fat.

Furthermore, as you allude to, I am unconvinced as to the rationale for this rolling booster jab regime. It seems to be: The vaccines aren't very good, so you need to keep having more of them.

Before someone calls me an anti-vaxxer, please be aware I've had three and was enthusiastic about the first two. However, if this booster jab 'protects' against Omicron and the original variant, and I've had the virus twice this year, it's not clear what benefit it's giving me.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Yes, they had had previous vaccines but not this current booster.
Last figure I saw was 47% of hospitalisations were fully vaxxed. The latest booster doesn't fit in those figures.