Can Anyone Help Please - Event/meeting 1st September- Birmingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ANOTHER VERY QUICK UPDATE (I have guests arriving this weekend so limited time - sorry)

Sorry for bold and CAPITALS Im really not shouting.

FIRSTLY THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT AND HELP/ADVICE ON THIS - INVALUABLE

DATE - Saturday 1st September - planned event (informal) supported by DCUK.
NB - FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE ON EARLIER THREADS CONFIRMED YOUR ATTENDANCE AND IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE DEFINITELY ATTENDING SO THAT DCUK CAN SEND YOU A PERSONAL INVITE - THANKS

VENUE
We now know the venue will be central Birmingham. Although the actual venue is still to be confirmed. Because of this we are not yet sure of maximum numbers that we can have there. If you are interested please let me know as soon as possible.

DAY
BEFORE
Some of us are going up the day before to make the most of the event, please let me know if you would like to go the the day before and I will give you further details.

The event will be coordinated by DCUK who have been amazing in sorting venue, lunch and general assistance.

SCHEDULE

• Lots of people there experienced in LCHF woe to chat to (it will be an informal event). People who have succeeded very well in reaching their goal of gaining control of BS usually with the added bonus of weight loss.
Lots of info to pick up:
  • How to reduce HBA1C to enjoy life without complications
  • LCHF receipes including breakfast, lunches, meals and desserts (please send any you would like to be included to me or if you prefer please add them on this thread)
  • Cholesterol information as many people worry when setting off on this woe that it may have detrimental effect on them
  • Inspirational stories for you to read about - if you are happy to share your journey in the booklet let me know on this thread
  • Before and after photos - please let me know if you would like to inspire others by sharing yours.
  • Exercise ideas
  • Fasting and how it can be incorporated into your lifestyle
  • the importance of monitors and finger pricking

THE MAIN EVENT AT THE EVENT!

We intend to have a photo taken of how we look after following this woe and with our BIG clothes on. It will be obviously linked in to the fact that we have taken control of our Diabetes and reduced our HBA1c levels significantly to avoid future complications with this woe. It's not just about 'look how much weight we have lost'. Only for people happy to have their photo taken - there will be a videographer, photographer and PR team there to capture the event, this will help spread the word far and wide about how amazing the LCHF woe is for Diabetics, and for people who generally want to have better health. This is a fantastic opportunity and our chance to get the message across to a wider audience. T-Shirts may be provided by DCUK for photo (to be confirmed)
***Anyone interested in joining in on the BIG photo please let me know as soon as possible***

Really looking forward to meeting up with fellow diabetics, I feel there is very little support for us out there in the community, and this is a brilliant opportunity to spread the LCHF word and, fingers crossed, it will have the desired ripple effect!!! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Debandez
I doubt I can make it, but I wish you every success. My story - HbA1c down from 53 to 35 in 3 months, lost a total of 3.5 stone now, down from a size 16/18 to size 10. But my greatest success is in coming off blood pressure medication! I had been on it for 6 years and now I don't need it!!! I feel so fit now and am really active. Life's great.

I've got your story - thanks a million - did you say you wanted to include pics, I am meeting myself coming back trying to keep up with everything haha. No problem if not, your journey is epic. Thanks
Deb

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've got your story - thanks a million - did you say you wanted to include pics, I am meeting myself coming back trying to keep up with everything haha. No problem if not, your journey is epic. Thanks
Deb
Hi
No, sorry, no pics but you're welcome to use my story :)

Reactions: Debandez

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Debandez Sorry I’ve not been able to spend much time on here recently but just to confirm I’m definitely coming to the event and have booked in for Fri 31st Aug.
Looking forward to seeing you and everyone else then, and thanks again for managing it all.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Debandez Sorry I’ve not been able to spend much time on here recently but just to confirm I’m definitely coming to the event and have booked in for Fri 31st Aug.
Looking forward to seeing you and everyone else then, and thanks again for managing it all.
FANTABULOUS!!! I have more details to share. It's all coming together nicely. I will be back home at my desk (dining table!!!) This afto and will be giving a full update then. So good to have you on board. Thanks for confirming. It's very exciting!!!

Reactions: Rachox

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m so looking forward to meeting you that weekend very exciting it will be great delighted that you’re staying over too

Reactions: DJC3 and Debandez

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.9 today - a relection on the past 3 days, I have had family here staying with me and consumed more wine than I should have! Enough said :)

UPDATE ON THE EVENT

DATE - SATURDAY 1ST SEPTEMBER - BIRMINGHAM

I have now had the venue details confirmed to me by DCUK and I am very pleased to announce the details are as follows:

VENUE: A HEALTHY EATERY IN BIRMINGHAM (PERSONAL INVITES WILL CONFIRM FULL DETAILS)

It looks perfect for what we need. A small and informal gathering. I phoned them to discuss our requirements this morning and they confimed that part will be sectioned off for us so we will have our privacy. The other part will still be open to the public but it seems to be quiet at the weekend. We can move tables to suit our needs. There are 2 toilets including one with disabled access. There is also a room available if we need to change. The lunch menu will be available to us but possibly just 5 options to choose from which they are currently sorting with DCUK who will speak to us before finalising. The good news is there are lots of options for us including eggs!

PARKING - available close by and also on side steets around and about

TIME: 12 NOON UNTIL 3PM (however we can get there from 11.30am onwards). There are several attending who are staying over the night before and we will be on hand to meet and greet across the area if required, for example at the coach station or grand central train station, if anyone wants help getting there, or a bit of company. After the event if we decide we are really enjoying ourselves and don't want to dash off there is a lovely pub nearby.

EVENT ITSELF - There will be an introduction by someone from DCUK followed by plenty of time to discuss and chat about everything and anything! Very easy, relaxed atmosphere. We are hoping to have several new comers to the LCHF woe that we can share our knowledge with and help along their journey as we were helped on ours. The plans are to have our various leaflets and booklets we are currently working on to hand out and to be photographed. DCUK will no doubt be adding these as links to the site fo future reference as ebooklets. I have ordered some name badges so we will all know who is who. I plan to do a Q&A sheet for anything we don't have the answer to on the day. They can then be followed up.

There will be a PR team there and photos/video will be taken. If anyone isn't happy with that please don't worry you won't need to get in the photo/video.

Invitations are currently being designed by DCUK and those who have confirmed their attendence will be receiving their invites very soon. I have a couple of people who have said they are interested in coming that I haven't had a chance to get back to yet due to family commitments (I have had family staying with me for 3 days so practically had come to a standstill) but I will be contacting you soon. Apologies for delay.

I do still have a couple of spaces if anyone would like to join us. Please let me know as soon as possible.

THIS IS ALL ABOUT GETTING THE LCHF WORD OUT THERE AND WILL BE A FANTASTIC OPPORTUNITY TO DO JUST THAT. IT'S JUST SO EXCITING.

LOOKING FORWARD TO MEETING EVERYONE VERY SOON. AND FOR THOSE THAT AREN'T ABLE TO MAKE IT DON'T WORRY WE ARE HOPING THAT THERE WILL BE A NEXT TIME.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3 and Brunneria

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
ANOTHER VERY QUICK UPDATE (I have guests arriving this weekend so limited time - sorry)

Sorry for bold and CAPITALS Im really not shouting.

I think you have the balance of bolds and capitals about right. And frankly you should be shouting (just not in an angry way).

Looks like it is going to be a great event – good luck to everyone going. I won’t actually be far away as I will be travelling back from Cornwall with my family and driving by Birmingham at about 2.30. I will think of you all and wave one of my little gold fins in your direction as I do.

Hopefully the day will lead to lots of great ideas on how to raise the profile of LCHF and its success in preventing and beating T2. I can’t wait to hear them and hopefully do my bit.

One of my reflections when I was diagnosed was that I had never heard anyone before me say out loud “my name is x and I have Type 2 Diabetes” so it was left to the media to paint a picture of what T2’s look like. WE CAN CHANGE THAT. We can change attitudes and awareness of all aspects of this condition, with the same determination with which we are changing ourselves, our health and our futures for the better.
Then, when one day, someone asks us “Why did you think you got Type 2 Diabetes”, we can all reply with confidence and pride:
“So I could help all the others.”

(sorry - stop me if this getting a bit much - the Goldfish is in full flow.).

Reactions: Debandez and DJC3

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you have the balance of bolds and capitals about right. And frankly you should be shouting (just not in an angry way).

Looks like it is going to be a great event – good luck to everyone going. I won’t actually be far away as I will be travelling back from Cornwall with my family and driving by Birmingham at about 2.30. I will think of you all and wave one of my little gold fins in your direction as I do.

Hopefully the day will lead to lots of great ideas on how to raise the profile of LCHF and its success in preventing and beating T2. I can’t wait to hear them and hopefully do my bit.

One of my reflections when I was diagnosed was that I had never heard anyone before me say out loud “my name is x and I have Type 2 Diabetes” so it was left to the media to paint a picture of what T2’s look like. WE CAN CHANGE THAT. We can change attitudes and awareness of all aspects of this condition, with the same determination with which we are changing ourselves, our health and our futures for the better.
Then, when one day, someone asks us “Why did you think you got Type 2 Diabetes”, we can all reply with confidence and pride:
“So I could help all the others.”

(sorry - stop me if this getting a bit much - the Goldfish is in full flow.).

Not anywhere near too much! Right behind you.

The treatment of diabetics is so last century it's unbelievable. There are a lot of strong minded people on here who want change. And not just on this site but so many others. The times are a changing. Shall I add the last bit to your story? It's a perfect ending in my opinion.

We will give you a wave at 2.30 :)

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez do you have my LCHF progress details accounted for or do I need to send you anything? Though wont be there in (smaller!) person will be with you in spirit.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Shall I add the last bit to your story? It's a perfect ending in my opinion.

Oh go on then. I’ll leave you to find the right backing music- something by Elgar perhaps

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez do you have my LCHF progress details accounted for or do I need to send you anything? Though wont be there in (smaller!) person will be with you in spirit.
Hi @PenguinMum I have checked my folder and don't have anything for you. Would you be happy to send me the story of your journey (or link here, which ever you are happiest doing) then I can add to our booklet? Thank you so much.

Reactions: shelley262

Kaity Thorpe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kaity you’ve done so well how impressive is your progress! Hope your coming along to the meet up I live in Worcestershire too would be great to meet you. You’re clearly well on the way with a drop of hbaca1 from 103 to 41 congratulations.
Shelley 262. So sorry, only just seen your comment. I owe the turnaround to this forum, the advic here, went against my GPS advice, to go home and base my meals around “good carbohydrates “. Thankfully I joined this forum and everything I read here, made complete sense to me.
I’m in Evesham Worcs and yes I’m coming to the big event, hoping it will play some small part in improving the treatment recommended to type 2’s diagnosed in future . Unfortunately I cannot stay over the night before () because it sounds like excellent fun, but one of my little dogs, is extremely anxious and clingy, bless her.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are the organisers making badges or should we do it ourselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.