Not open for further replies.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You've put a lot of effort into this. Will be interesting to see how things pan out. Are you able to ensure that DCUK invites delegates from outside the LCHF adherents. These are the ones who need to hear the message and where awareness needs to be aroused.

Despite efforts and guidelines it appears that over half of those diagnosed do not reach the target guidelines and suffer complications. It gets progressively worse amongst younger patients.

https://bmcendocrdisord.biomedcentral.com/track/pdf/10.1186/s12902-017-0175-5

It's an appalling statistic indeed. One can draw conclusions that older people have more success simply because they take affirmative action when complications begin to appear or that those did not manage correctly have met with an early visit to the big guy upstairs. This is the audience that would benefit most from your efforts.

Good luck,
Glenn

How would you propose DCUK would enure they invite "....delegates from outside the LCHF adherents. ...."?

As I understand it, DCUK are supporting, both financially and in other ways, a member led initiative. I'm not entirely sure it's fair to then challenge them with widening the list of attendees to someone else's event.

The event has been very well publicised, across a number of threads in recent weeks, so there are good opportunities for interested parties to make themselves known, either on the threads, or by PM.

For the avoidance of doubt, although I am both a Mod and also an employee of DCUK, this post is by me, as a member, and not necessarily expressing DCUK views or potential views.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rachox

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
How would you propose DCUK would enure they invite "....delegates from outside the LCHF adherents. ...."?

As I understand it, DCUK are supporting, both financially and in other ways, a member led initiative. I'm not entirely sure it's fair to then challenge them with widening the list of attendees to someone else's event.

The event has been very well publicised, across a number of threads in recent weeks, so there are good opportunities for interested parties to make themselves known, either on the threads, or by PM.

For the avoidance of doubt, although I am both a Mod and also an employee of DCUK, this post is by me, as a member, and not necessarily expressing DCUK views or potential views.

I don't know the answer to that since I am not privy to the internal machinations of DCUK. The reason for the suggestion is to try and avoid a session where the attendees are already familiar with the concept. It leaves the door open despite all the effort to a self congratulatory back-slapping exercise. Can't see much point in preaching to the converted.

If it can't be done then so be it. Just have to hope that all other means of communication has hit interested parties.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please could you add me to the attendees list? New to adopting a more lchf approach to my diabetes control and currently confused by conflicting information and opinions.
Absolutely fabulous that you are organising an event like this as meeting up with other people with Diabetes is by far the most helpful and supportive thing in managing the condition and living a full life
I'm taking FIL out for the day today with my hubby (birthday treat) but I'm going to reply in full when I get home this evening. Back of the car now and proving challenging but I wanted to reply to your lovely post. I'm so happy with all the positive feedback. I'm booked in with my Dr this afternoon to feed back exactly what you have said frustrates you and so many others. Apart from the Desmond course which I actually found quite beneficial mainly as I met fellow diabetics there is nothing. We are given bad advice with meds we might not even need then left high and dry with no support whatsoever. And just a check up once or twice a year. It's not good enough. It teally is no.surprise it is classed as a progressive disease! I will get back to you asap re event :) LCHF will balance your BS with an added bonus of weight loss more often than not. You have come to the right place.

Reactions: Annlou

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I'm taking FIL out for the day today with my hubby (birthday treat) but I'm going to reply in full when I get home this evening. Back of the car now and proving challenging but I wanted to reply to your lovely post. I'm so happy with all the positive feedback. I'm booked in with my Dr this afternoon to feed back exactly what you have said frustrates you and so many others. Apart from the Desmond course which I actually found quite beneficial mainly as I met fellow diabetics there is nothing. We are given bad advice with meds we might not even need then left high and dry with no support whatsoever. And just a check up once or twice a year. It's not good enough. It teally is no.surprise it is classed as a progressive disease! I will get back to you asap re event :) LCHF will balance your BS with an added bonus of weight loss more often than not. You have come to the right place.

Sounds like a carbon copy over here in Aussie.

JVH2310

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't know the answer to that since I am not privy to the internal machinations of DCUK. The reason for the suggestion is to try and avoid a session where the attendees are already familiar with the concept. It leaves the door open despite all the effort to a self congratulatory back-slapping exercise. Can't see much point in preaching to the converted.

If it can't be done then so be it. Just have to hope that all other means of communication has hit interested parties.
There are probably a few diabetes support groups on facebook (I'm a member of two and am happy to post details of the event once a time and venue have been sorted) whose members would be interested. If you choose more general groups, rather than ones specifically for low carbers it should attract some who aren't yet converted!

Reactions: Debandez

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
@JVH2310
That's the kind of thing I mean. Even if not converted at least have the level of awareness raised. In time, those who have no success by other means will remember and in time come for a visit.

Reactions: JVH2310

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bear in mind we may be limited in numbers.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m sure @Debandez is aiming to answer later but my understanding is that it is a limited number event (as financing and venue is being arranged by DCUK) It’s to get together folks like us who have had great success with weight loss and controlling our HbA1cs by following a low carb way of eating. There will be press attending to film and photograph our successes, thereby creating publicity for DCUK and the low carb program. The actual event is mainly for the ‘converted’, the converting others comes after with publicity shots etc... That’s how understand it, I’m sure @Debandez will correct me if I’m wrong!

Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m sure @Debandez is aiming to answer later but my understanding is that it is a limited number event (as financing and venue is being arranged by DCUK) It’s to get together folks like us who have had great success with weight loss and controlling our HbA1cs by following a low carb way of eating. There will be press attending to film and photograph our successes, thereby creating publicity for DCUK and the low carb program. The actual event is mainly for the ‘converted’, the converting others comes after with publicity shots etc... That’s how understand it, I’m sure @Debandez will correct me if I’m wrong!
The event will i think have a huge ripple effect too as we as a group are quite powerful - this will be our first chance to meet up in person and I’m positive it will lead on to other stuff re getting the message out. Our case studies too will be got out there via the press and hopefully influence others.
We are also hoping to produce some resources around the event that can be used to support low carbers starting out. For example I’m working on a low carb ingredients booklet which will also have low carb recipes provided by forum members this is just the start

Reactions: briped

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But they're on strike, and I really can't go to my endo appointment without you :nailbiting:

As you will be with me in spirit at the event I will be with you at your endo apptment. No need for ryanair!

He was diagnosed only about 7 weeks ago. The undiscovered cancer had spread to his bones, and it was too late to do anything but give him TLC. He suffered a lot before then, being given only paracetamol to ease the pain from his crumbling spine. My mum passed away 2½ years ago, sending me into a black carbfilled hole for two years. I've only just come out of that, so it's important that I don't stumble and fall again.

Your dad's experience sounds very similar to my mum's. Traumatic to watch. And your mum only just over 2 years ago. Life can be so cruel. No way you are going to stumble into that nasty hole. We are all here to cover that hole, you can walk over us :)

I've made yummy one minute microwave cakes twice :) However, I had no cooking facilities at my dad's, and really have to watch my cals too. Weight loss isn't easy at 57 years.

We are almost the same age. It's harder as you get older, but this diet can really help. Only one that has worked for me!

Maybe Ryan Air will be back at work by then :hilarious:
I love Michael O'Leary, he has saved me a fortune (my family are from Dublin) the strike won't last :)

Reactions: briped

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You've put a lot of effort into this. Will be interesting to see how things pan out. Are you able to ensure that DCUK invites delegates from outside the LCHF adherents. These are the ones who need to hear the message and where awareness needs to be aroused.

Despite efforts and guidelines it appears that over half of those diagnosed do not reach the target guidelines and suffer complications. It gets progressively worse amongst younger patients.

https://bmcendocrdisord.biomedcentral.com/track/pdf/10.1186/s12902-017-0175-5

It's an appalling statistic indeed. One can draw conclusions that older people have more success simply because they take affirmative action when complications begin to appear or that those did not manage correctly have met with an early visit to the big guy upstairs. This is the audience that would benefit most from your efforts.

Good luck,
Glenn

Hi @Crocodile
Since i started the thread and getting DCUK on board things have become a little clearer but only over the last couple of days. @Rachox has explained it very well, thanks for that @Rachox. DCUK are almost there with regard to a venue. Once they know where it is to be held they will know how many we can actually invite to the event. At the moment any more interested parties are going on a waiting list as I don't want to disappoint anyone. If it is successful which I think it will be I can see us doing it again.

I would agree with your comments about preaching to the converted but the difference wth this event is that DCUK have pulled out all the stops to get their photographer and PR team there, as well as financing it. We really could not have asked for more, they are working very hard behind the scenes. We have been told that there will be filming. Another reason we won't be able to have too many at the event. So although the numbers there on the day may be smaller than we had hoped, this event is going to hit a wider audience which is what we all want. DCUK are also working very hard behind the scenes talking to Newspapers, magazines, radio and media in general to get the LCHF woe out there showing how well it works for controlling diabetes and at the same time more often that not helping with weight loss.

As far as I am aware the reversing/remission/control of diabetes has never been done from this angle whereby so many people stand side by side showing how the LCHF has helped them lose weight and regain their health. I've seen it in articles where one person has done it (did said article myself and helped quite a few people which I was delighted about).

I'm hoping to have a big poster behind showing how much this could save the NHS. A bit like the Brexit bus! It's only an idea. Any ideas welcomed.

This is just another way of spreading the word. Who knows where it may lead.

*** If there is anyone reading who would like to stand with us, side by side, on the day please just PM me or if you prefer just add your comments to this thread. The more losers we have (if you know what I mean) the BIGGER the impact ***

Thanks

Reactions: Rachox

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

@Rachox thanks for this, that's exactly how I understand it.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The event will i think have a huge ripple effect too as we as a group are quite powerful - this will be our first chance to meet up in person and I’m positive it will lead on to other stuff re getting the message out. Our case studies too will be got out there via the press and hopefully influence others.
We are also hoping to produce some resources around the event that can be used to support low carbers starting out. For example I’m working on a low carb ingredients booklet which will also have low carb recipes provided by forum members this is just the start

That's exactly what we want, a ripple effect. Rippling far and wide.

Meeting up in person is the thing I am most looking forward to.

The case studies are coming along nicely, we have some incredibly inspirational stories to tell. Before and after photos too. @shelley262 you are doing a fabulous job putting the recipes and useful info together. It's something I would have loved at my fingertips at the start and even now! There is a lot of useful info being pulled together and will no doubt be linked to DCUK site for future ref. Ready for the next event!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Crocodile
Since i started the thread and getting DCUK on board things have become a little clearer but only over the last couple of days. @Rachox has explained it very well, thanks for that @Rachox. DCUK are almost there with regard to a venue. Once they know where it is to be held they will know how many we can actually invite to the event. At the moment any more interested parties are going on a waiting list as I don't want to disappoint anyone. If it is successful which I think it will be I can see us doing it again.

I would agree with your comments about preaching to the converted but the difference wth this event is that DCUK have pulled out all the stops to get their photographer and PR team there, as well as financing it. We really could not have asked for more, they are working very hard behind the scenes. We have been told that there will be filming. Another reason we won't be able to have too many at the event. So although the numbers there on the day may be smaller than we had hoped, this event is going to hit a wider audience which is what we all want. DCUK are also working very hard behind the scenes talking to Newspapers, magazines, radio and media in general to get the LCHF woe out there showing how well it works for controlling diabetes and at the same time more often that not helping with weight loss.

As far as I am aware the reversing/remission/control of diabetes has never been done from this angle whereby so many people stand side by side showing how the LCHF has helped them lose weight and regain their health. I've seen it in articles where one person has done it (did said article myself and helped quite a few people which I was delighted about).

I'm hoping to have a big poster behind showing how much this could save the NHS. A bit like the Brexit bus! It's only an idea. Any ideas welcomed.

This is just another way of spreading the word. Who knows where it may lead.

*** If there is anyone reading who would like to stand with us, side by side, on the day please just PM me or if you prefer just add your comments to this thread. The more losers we have (if you know what I mean) the BIGGER the impact ***

Thanks
No photos from me but I found a HUGE blouse to put on, I'll stand with you!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are we going to be photographed in our old ‘big clothes’ then in our figure hugging new outfits to compare?

Reactions: Debandez

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are we going to be photographed in our old ‘big clothes’ then in our figure hugging new outfits to compare?

Maybe we go in our figure hugging so tight you can't breath and certainly cant move in clothes and then pop on our DCUK t shirt that they may supply with our baggy trousers/skirts or whatever shows just how well we have done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.