Can Anyone Help Please - Event/meeting 1st September- Birmingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just thought - should the badges have our nom de plume and or our real names - the hippy with the guitar is what my brain image remains - but that was then and much is changed - not the guitar though, and I can fit into those brown flares again.

Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Shelley 262. So sorry, only just seen your comment. I owe the turnaround to this forum, the advic here, went against my GPS advice, to go home and base my meals around “good carbohydrates “. Thankfully I joined this forum and everything I read here, made complete sense to me.
I’m in Evesham Worcs and yes I’m coming to the big event, hoping it will play some small part in improving the treatment recommended to type 2’s diagnosed in future . Unfortunately I cannot stay over the night before () because it sounds like excellent fun, but one of my little dogs, is extremely anxious and clingy, bless her.
Will be great to see you on the day - looking forward to it. I live in Bewdley worcs

Reactions: DJC3 and Debandez

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just thought - should the badges have our nom de plume and or our real names - the hippy with the guitar is what my brain image remains - but that was then and much is changed - not the guitar though, and I can fit into those brown flares again.
I was thinking our non de plume and real first name too maybe. What do you think?My first name is much easier to trip off the tongue than my nom de plume! I know that for sure. The case for most I think. If we have both we have an option :)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was thinking our non de plume and real first name too maybe. What do you think?My first name is much easier to trip off the tongue than my nom de plume! I know that for sure. The case for most I think. If we have both we have an option :)
I was going to put xfieldok with my name underneath, so that sounds perfect.

Reactions: Debandez

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @PenguinMum I have checked my folder and don't have anything for you. Would you be happy to send me the story of your journey (or link here, which ever you are happiest doing) then I can add to our booklet? Thank you so much.
@Debandez here we go. Diagnosed Dec 7 2017 with HBA1c 53 after Specsavers found bleed behind my right eye at a routine eye test. Told to enjoy Christmas and would see the DN sometime in January. For the month of Dec I had terrible osteoarthritis and gout and was in a wheelchair the week leading up to Christmas. So fed up I went online for info and found this site. Because I was housebound I devoured LCHF info here n the forum day and night and decided to follow it straight away. I had some knowledge of T2 because my late Mum had it for a year before she died and we strongly believe it was a factor in the sepsis that killed her.
With the support of the forumites I bought a Codefree meter got a big diary and recorded my numbers and what I ate. Saw the DN in January 2018 and declined statins and Metformin and asked for 3 months to turn things around. Review in April my HBA1c dropped to 41. I was losing weight but that was never as important for me as reducing BG. My latest HBA1c in July is 37. I know I have lost 2 stone and have dropped from size 16/18 to 12/14 and more importantly less stress on my joints. The big surprise to me is I feel so much better, more energy, clearer skin, just happier.
I gradually reduced my carb intake from under 100g, to quickly under 70g and now under 30g a day. Many days I am well under 30g. My FBG was VERY slow to come down and I dabbled with IF missing out breakfast or lunch but I am happiest eating 3 small meals a day. After 7 months of PATIENCE I finally got FBG in low 6s and now I find any 5 number in the mornng is acceptable. I have set myself a personal threshold of 6.2 anything over that I skip breakfast. I do have background retinopathy but I am hoping that wont get any worse and might even improve. Whatever life throws at me now I know that this WAY OF EATING is a keeper.

Edit: Deb feel free to edit above as required, I have been told I “do go on” sometimes!!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez here we go. Diagnosed Dec 7 2017 with HBA1c 53 after Specsavers found bleed behind my right eye at a routine eye test. Told to enjoy Christmas and would see the DN sometime in January. For the month of Dec I had terrible osteoarthritis and gout and was in a wheelchair the week leading up to Christmas. So fed up I went online for info and found this site. Because I was housebound I devoured LCHF info here n the forum day and night and decided to follow it straight away. I had some knowledge of T2 because my late Mum had it for a year before she died and we strongly believe it was a factor in the sepsis that killed her.
With the support of the forumites I bought a Codefree meter got a big diary and recorded my numbers and what I ate. Saw the DN in January 2018 and declined statins and Metformin and asked for 3 months to turn things around. Review in April my HBA1c dropped to 41. I was losing weight but that was never as important for me as reducing BG. My latest HBA1c in July is 37. I know I have lost 2 stone and have dropped from size 16/18 to 12/14 and more importantly less stress on my joints. The big surprise to me is I feel so much better, more energy, clearer skin, just happier.
I gradually reduced my carb intake from under 100g, to quickly under 70g and now under 30g a day. Many days I am well under 30g. My FBG was VERY slow to come down and I dabbled with IF missing out breakfast or lunch but I am happiest eating 3 small meals a day. After 7 months of PATIENCE I finally got FBG in low 6s and now I find any 5 number in the mornng is acceptable. I have set myself a personal threshold of 6.2 anything over that I skip breakfast. I do have background retinopathy but I am hoping that wont get any worse and might even improve. Whatever life throws at me now I know that this WAY OF EATING is a keeper.

Edit: Deb feel free to edit above as required, I have been told I “do go on” sometimes!!

This is great @PenguinMum thank you so much. No edits needed. What a journey you have been on. You have other challenges as well as t2d but nothing was stopping you reaching your goal. You learned so much and as such help so many with your knowledge. You have your BS well under control. Well done on turning your health around on the LCHF. And you have lost 2 stone too. Well done. That can go towards my 100 stone target for the event. Thank you so much for doing this.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez My OH will be attending with me and his name is John (Non diabetic, has Parkinsons)

Do you want us to bring any food with us?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can I bring my phd smart bars, they spike me horribly. I also have some books I no longer want.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez My OH will be attending with me and his name is John (Non diabetic, has Parkinsons)

Do you want us to bring any food with us?

Thats absolutely fine. I have 2 tickets with your name on :) Lunch will be provided. Once I know what will be on the menu I will let everyone know. It's just being finalised.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is great @PenguinMum thank you so much. No edits needed. What a journey you have been on. You have other challenges as well as t2d but nothing was stopping you reaching your goal. You learned so much and as such help so many with your knowledge. You have your BS well under control. Well done on turning your health around on the LCHF. And you have lost 2 stone too. Well done. That can go towards my 100 stone target for the event. Thank you so much for doing this.
@Debandez thanks Deb I decided to write it all down for everyone to see because it took me 7 months to get my FBG down although my after meal readings were great. Maybe someone out there is going through the same and it just might encourage them.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Thats absolutely fine. I have 2 tickets with your name on :) Lunch will be provided. Once I know what will be on the menu I will let everyone know. It's just being finalised.
Any hot chips on the menu.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Great personal story @PenguinMum as you say it’s important to say things like how long it took to get those bgs down. Lots of new members expect all their bgs to fall quickly and also right across the board when in reality that dratted fbg does take longer I also found it very concise and a good read thank you. Will be interesting to see if the retinopathy goes over time as gather it does for some crossing my fingers for you

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great personal story @PenguinMum as you say it’s important to say things like how long it took to get those bgs down. Lots of new members expect all their bgs to fall quickly and also right across the board when in reality that drafted fbg does take longer I also found it very concise and a good read thank you. Will be interesting to see if the retinopathy goes over time as gather it does for some crossing my fingers for you
@shelley262 thanks so much. All our stories are important.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I bring my phd smart bars, they spike me horribly. I also have some books I no longer want.

They do me too! Thought it was just me so you’ve made me feel a lot better. I had to give all mine to my daughter.

Reactions: xfieldok

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think that’s perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.