Anonymous Question Concerned about high readings? Nurse says nothing to worry about.

Anonymous Question

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
My father in law who is a frail 69 often has blood sugar readings of over 20 and sometimes as much as 32. We are concerned but his diabetic nurse seems to think that it's nothing to worry about. Does anyone else have very high readings?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Those are very high readings. Sometimes older people are given slightly higher blood sugar targets, but those numbers are way above those.

What type of diabetes does he have and what meds, if any, is he on?

Reactions: deborabaratto

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah, they are high and if prolonged will do damage........

but he will be feeling rough at those levels too.....so thats a good motivator to get them down...

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Agree at those levels it will be affecting his mood and energy levels so they need to be reviewed, is he drinking lots of fluids ? He will need to as his body will need help flushing the excess glucose away, good luck I hope they sit up and take more notice.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My father in law who is a frail 69 often has blood sugar readings of over 20 and sometimes as much as 32. We are concerned but his diabetic nurse seems to think that it's nothing to worry about. Does anyone else have very high readings?
We are assuming that the readings are in mmol/l is this correct? Are you UK based? What are you using to get the readings?

VivD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
bigoted and selfish people, this Government, grey cold windy days
Get in touch with the doctor - I would put it in writing, maybe send to the Practice Manager. Keep a food and medicine diary.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Those are terrible readings, and very worrying.... having the nurse saying they are nothing to worry about is also extremely worrying.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably part of the philosophy that older people don't get the same level of treatment that younger people do. Seems to be a growing trend in health care circles.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Based on those readings the nurse is wrong and you should complain. It's very worrying if she is a diabetic nurse because she will know that the those readings are way too high.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Gulp - even when I was diagnosed my level was lower than that (29). Readings that high need to be looked at. That nurse needs to be re-educated!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am almost 66 and had a diagnostic level of 17.1 - the response was immediate treatment to reduce it. You must just be unlucky - unless your father in law has the GGP equivalent of do not resuscitate on his notes.
Having seen the results of uncontrolled diabetes when my grandmother died I think that you should contact the surgery and try to speak to a doctor about this, as it cannot end well as it is going.