1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

COVID vaccination

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by notafanofsugar, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

There is no cause being touted except that it can happen sometimes. We have ONE location in ONE country reporting 29 sudden deaths in one nursing home (another 6 died on Saturday, and an unknown cluster again on Sunday apparently)

Considering how many million doses of this particular vaccine have been administered without causing death including persons over the age of 100, then the localised nature of this incident is suspicious, at least it is to me. It has an unusually high-risk factor that I would say is more than just coincidence. The youngest reported age is 75, which is uncomfortably close to mine.

2. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

• Like Like x 2
  3. Max68

Max68 · Well-Known Member

Anyone seen any stats on info on whether the vaccinations work fine in people with co morbidities such as diabetes?

4. UK T1

UK T1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Could you explain what you mean by 'work fine'? The clinical trials included diabetics (various types) and showed no lowered efficacy for diabetic patients, if that is what you mean?

From what I have read they have advised anyone with severe allergies to discuss these with their doctors before having the vaccine. Particular adverse allergic reactions to the vaccine seem to be recorded mainly in those with a history of adverse allergic reactions, especially anaphylaxis. Advice is to wait until invited for the vaccine, then check with your doctor if you're unsure. Hope that helps!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Max68

That was the word I was looking for thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

I am waiting to hear if those who just have had one jab are getting the virus, going into hospitals, and dying?

Whitty and our political elite are making an huge gamble with the elderly.
    The studies in Irael are not promising for the
    Pfizer for one jab...c 33% effective! Don't trust the F.T. is seems to give contrary evidence to our GP's body.
    Doctors are not happy at all with the single jab Pfizer.

I shall not trust one jab Pfizer and hope it is not compromised after the very tardy second jab.
    D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #386 lindisfel, Jan 23, 2021 at 11:36 AM
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  7. UK T1

UK T1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The key thing is to continue with the same stringent precautions until the stated time after the second dose (is it 2 week after second dose they said you should have conferred immunity?). As long as people don't change their behaviour after just one dose, it should give some peace of mind of some added protection, but no reason to be relaxing your personal precautions yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Max68

Well just heard mum's care home now has cases and mum is one of 14 others positive. The irony being she received the vaccine on Wednesday but carers tested positive last week., Not sure if having the vaccine helps just as you test positive but guess we will see in the next week or so.

• Hug Hug x 5
  9. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

Yay!!!! I've just had the call.. Don't know which flavour, but I don't care! Just so happy to get a chance.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I have just had a text inviting me have my 1st Covid vaccination. I was very surprised, because I wasn't due to have mine until April ! but very happy about it, it's in a week's time. Going to have to get a bus there and back, but I will be masked up.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

We had our (apparently much sought after Pfizer) vaccinations early yesterday morning. My husband got his notification letter well before i did, and he had us both booked up before i even knew that I was getting an appointment. Follow up jab is. not until end of April though.

"Production lines" were fairly well organized by area, and we didn't actually have to wait outside at all; husband was allowed to drop me off and pick me up at the doors. Longest wait time was for the 15 mins after vaccination to see if we had any immediate adverse reactions. All told I think we were in and out well within half an hour.

I woke up still alive this morning o_O with no apparent side effects so far apart from a slightly achy injection site for a short while in the middle of the night.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Robinredbreast

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Robinredbreast

A fiend of mine messaged me on Saturday to say that he just had the vaccine jab, I think spell check went a little haywire, it said ' I've been given the Phuket one, then he wrote, 'Oh dear I meant Pfizer one' lol

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Larissima

Larissima Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I also received the Pfizer one, but no second appointment yet - in London, it's too difficult to organise! :D We will be contacted by our GP in 10-12 weeks, just like for the first dose.

16. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

The deed is done! I have had a Fizzer from Phizer.

• Like Like x 2
  17. AngieCA

AngieCA · Newbie

Thank goodness I dont live in America!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

19. jaywak

jaywak Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Maybe in the future there will be some side effects but at the moment death by covid dose not sound great

20. Robinredbreast

If I let you know on Monday, then, all is ok.

32 years type 1 and hoping to get to my 50th.................

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook