urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Mrs Urb', along with a few of her workmates, had her 1st vaccination yesterday afternoon. Apart from a sore arm, she is not feeling any significant issues and as far we know her work colleagues are not adversely affected either. 2nd jab will be on 30th Jan.
No date yet for the nursing home residents but presume it's coming relatively soon.

Max68

Just placing this here. A mate of mine is a nurse at our local hospital and he had his first jab this week so thought I would just post his feedback for informational purposes only. He is in his 50's. It's worth pointing out that a lot of the replies he received were from people who have also received a jab and had no side effects at all, some with merely a sore arm as per usual vaccinations. Obviously he has placed on record what he has done but I would take medical advice re paracetamol etc.

"So about 24 hrs after 1st covid jab (AstraZeneca), feeling a little achy, and a little muggy. Don’t think I would have wanted to work today. Took paracetamol before bed and another couple this morning. Otherwise fine today. I would suggest arranging your jab a day before your off, I know not easy for all, and take regular paracetamol for next 24 hrs.

So it’s 30 hrs after my first jab, I’m feeling a few shivers. I’m more tired today, and not much of an appetite. I’m taking a further couple of paracetamol and gonna have a early night. No headache just still achy. I don’t feel I need anything stronger. Good night. I’m glad I have tomorrow off as well. Hopefully will have blown this thing off.

Update. Feel back to normal. Arm feels a little achy but no more than I remember with bsg. Just a word of note. A nurse in Wales has contracted c19 after she had 1st jab, so we are still vulnerable. Remain cautious and Thanks for your positive feedback"

Reactions: Oldvatr

tmule4

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social media
Thoughtless drivers
Modern jazz.
If the vaccine means that I can travel freely, I am taking it immediately.
Unfortunately, it doesn't. You will still be able to spread the virus, even though you may not have COVID-19 yourself. This is a widespread misunderstanding of what the vaccine can do for you (and the rest of us), and is a very dangerous view to take.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately, it doesn't. You will still be able to spread the virus, even though you may not have COVID-19 yourself. This is a widespread misunderstanding of what the vaccine can do for you (and the rest of us), and is a very dangerous view to take.
Not sure this is actually correct. It is not a proven fact at all, but what we do know is that the vaccine antibodies kill the virus in the bloodstream, so prevent it from spreading in our bodies at the start. Once it has established colonies in the organs, then it is expelled via breathing, spittle, and perspiration, so we can then spread it into the community while we have the active bug, but stop spreading once we have completely killed it off which again the vaccine will assist.

What we do not know is whether people can be carriers only. I am not talking asymptomatics, but true unaffected carriers that the vaccine does not trigger an antibody response for - this is what is not proven.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Not sure this is actually correct. It is not a proven fact at all, but what we do know is that the vaccine antibodies kill the virus in the bloodstream, so prevent it from spreading in our bodies at the start. Once it has established colonies in the organs, then it is expelled via breathing, spittle, and perspiration, so we can then spread it into the community while we have the active bug, but stop spreading once we have completely killed it off which again the vaccine will assist.

What we do not know is whether people can be carriers only. I am not talking asymptomatics, but true unaffected carriers that the vaccine does not trigger an antibody response for - this is what is not proven.
There are no antibodies in these vaccines.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are no antibodies in these vaccines.
Exactly. but the antibodies we do produce from the vaccine itself may not prevent an infection from entering and being carried by the body thus creating a carrier that does not trigger a reaction to kill it off. The antibodies have to be triggered in sufficient volume to swamp the infection by preventing it from multiplying but does not by itself kill the virus in the blood. We see this in other diseases, and it is because it is not the vaccine that kills the virus, it is our immune system reacting to antibodies. The antibodies act to inhibit transfer via the S-protein in the spikes, not the viral load inside the virus which remains active.

tjayfranklin

Hello all, I'm ready to take the vaccine! I'm 29, type one diabetic for my whole life and am studying to be a doctor as we speak! If we all do our research then taking the vaccine would be just fine! Let's grow together good people :)

Reactions: Ymdawd and Oldvatr

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wow! (From today's Guardian).
upload_2021-1-14_12-34-34.png

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! (From today's Guardian).
View attachment 46875

So they are only intending to employ those over 80? or living in care homes? or with other health conditions? Or hcps?
Until much later in the spring when working age staff will get a look in?

I'm thinking this policy may not have been properly thought out...

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So they are only intending to employ those over 80? or living in care homes? or with other health conditions? Or hcps?
Until much later in the spring when working age staff will get a look in?

I'm thinking this policy may not have been properly thought out...
https://www.aphc.co.uk/news/covid-19-plumbing-and-heating-workers-categorised-as-key-workers/

Under UK employment legislation, unless plumbers are gig economy workers, then their employer cannot unilaterally enforce changes to their current contracted conditions. Employers can apply new conditions for new employment offers prior to acceptance, but once agreed, then remain as agreed. We will see many firms adopting these plans in the coming year.

Plumbers are front-facing customer contacting workers. Their manual trade makes Covid PPE a hindrance, potentially a hazard to working safely, and probably ineffective at protecting either the worker or the customer. They have no control over the working environment so cannot be treated like sales staff or reception staff by social distancing and safety barriers etc

Torres71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I completely understand people's concerns & reservations about having the COVID-19 vaccine. I was in the same situation myself, as initially I was adamant I was not having it. I thought it hasn't been tested over a long period of time, what were the side effects or long-term implications of having it. I was worried as I am not only have type 1 diabetes & am on insulin, I am also on immunosuppressants due to having Chron's disease. I was offered the opportunity to have the Pfizer vaccine due to working in health & social care, so took the plunge & booked the appointment to have the vaccine, after weighing up the pros & cons. I almost cancelled the appointment the night before out of sheer fear. All I can say I took a risk & had the 1st vaccine dose on 03/01/21, went to bed that night & woke up the next day. I have been completely well without any ill effects apart from a sore arm, which went after a few days. So 11 days on, I am well so will have my 2nd dose of the vaccine on 09/03/21. At the end of the day, it is everyone's personal choice whether to go ahead with the vaccine. Wishing everyone well!

Last edited:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Update. At the nursing home where Mrs Urb' works, all of the "nannies" (as she sometimes refers to them) have had the first shot of the Pfizer vaccine.

This was 2 days ago. There were no serious adverse reactions. A few had slightly elevated temperatures (37.5° ish) and doc' told the nursing staff to administer paracetomol.

So that's around 60 vaccinations including staff without any real problems.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
This afternoon we heard from 1 of Mrs Urb's past workmates. This lady now works at Worthing General Hospital. She had her 1st jab on 4th Jan, tested positive again 2 days ago and has been told to isolate.:facepalm:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think we need to keep an eye open on this story
https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n149

It seems to be a very local event occurring in one particular location, so could be batch contamination or sabotage by an anti-vaxer/ Right Wing activist, or even fraudulent supply. Unlikely due to defrosting issue, since reports are that this just makes it lose efficacy.

Ymdawd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Think we need to keep an eye open on this story
https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n149

It seems to be a very local event occurring in one particular location, so could be batch contamination or sabotage by an anti-vaxer/ Right Wing activist, or even fraudulent supply. Unlikely due to defrosting issue, since reports are that this just makes it lose efficacy.

Cannot believe that anyone would deliberately sabotage vaccines. If so it make you wonder how low some people can sink

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cannot believe that anyone would deliberately sabotage vaccines. If so it make you wonder how low some people can sink
Probably because it's nonsense?
There is no mention of "sabotage" in the article simply a report of deaths in Norway and Germany post vaccination.
That the MHRA doesn't so far have any data simply shows the appallingly bad state of medical knowledge and statistical recording in the UK. Or maybe they just choose not to publish it.

Reactions: Ymdawd

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Probably because it's nonsense?
There is no mention of "sabotage" in the article simply a report of deaths in Norway and Germany post vaccination.
That the MHRA doesn't so far have any data simply shows the appallingly bad state of medical knowledge and statistical recording in the UK. Or maybe they just choose not to publish it.
There is no cause being touted except that it can happen sometimes. We have ONE location in ONE country reporting 29 sudden deaths in one nursing home (another 6 died on Saturday, and an unknown cluster again on Sunday apparently)

Considering how many million doses of this particular vaccine have been administered without causing death including persons over the age of 100, then the localised nature of this incident is suspicious, at least it is to me. It has an unusually high-risk factor that I would say is more than just coincidence. The youngest reported age is 75, which is uncomfortably close to mine.