Hi all,

I’m T1 and have some deep cracks/splits in the skin on the ball of my right foot (around 2mm deep). They are now very painful, red and it’s become uncomfortable to walk on my foot.

Does any have experience in dealing with these as a T1 diabetic? Is it something I should see a GP about or pharmacist? Or are there any home or over the counter remedies someone could recommend?

Thanks

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I’m T1 and have some deep cracks/splits in the skin on the ball of my right foot (around 2mm deep). They are now very painful, red and it’s become uncomfortable to walk on my foot.

Does anyone have experience in dealing with these as a T1 diabetic? Is it something I should see a GP about or pharmacist? Or are there any home or over the counter remedies someone could recommend?

Thanks
Your doc may want to perscribe some antibiotic cream which isn't available over the counter, and refer you to a podiatrist and a medical pedicure. Not a T1 here, but I do have fissures that get inflamed, and they do need looking after by pro's. There's no way I can handle these myself once they get too deep, too inflamed, and too bloody. Once they're treated and become better, there's a world of things you can do to keep your feet from getting that bad again, but at this time... Get them looked after, as soon as you can.
Feel better soon!
Jo

HellyMac

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Does any have experience in dealing with these as a T1 diabetic? Is it something I should see a GP about or pharmacist? Or are there any home or over the counter remedies someone could recommend?

Thanks
Please see your diabetes team or GP as soon as you can. Moisturising is a must but your diabetes team will need to monitor in case of infection, which can be serious for T1s.

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
See a podiatrist. Without the callus they are in being shaved down they probably won't go as at present all flexing in the area is happening where the crack is. Don't think of trying to treat it yourself, unless you are exceptionally flexible you can't reach the area! A podiatrist should be able to help with prevention as well.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would make an appointment with my GP. When you phone for an appointment, advise them you are diabetic and need to be seen asap with regards to a foot problem. Good luck

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks the for advice I’m going to attempt a GP appointment first. If that doesn’t work out then I’ll try a local podiatrist.

If you go the later route, make sure they are a podiatrist not a chiropodist.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Definitely see your DN or GP.

For the future, I get an NHS podiatrist appt every 3-4 months (should be 2 but they are understaffed). If I have any problems in between I can ring for an emergency appt.
And they never file down calluses but tell me to moisturise every day as part of my diabetic foot care.
If you can't self-refer ask your GP.

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Get some standard dry foot cream (basically something that contains urea), I've had these all my adult life (they get worse in the summer/abroad when I'm barefooted a lot - painful to walk on as you say).

I tell the diabetes nurses every year, sometimes they produce a similar cream FoC, but it's easier to just buy something from Boots, etc.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I‘m in agreement with the majority here who recommend an appointment with your health “ team” to try and get your foot problem solved. Once solved , the next objective should be to prevent it happening again, moisturising and good foot care is a must , there a hundreds of different creams etc on the market, , personally I use baby oil either in the bath or soak my feet in a bowl with some in it , my podiatrist is amazed how smooth my feet are , and let’s face it canny get smoother than a babies bum hehehe , hope you solve your problem

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I‘m in agreement with the majority here who recommend an appointment with your health “ team” to try and get your foot problem solved. Once solved , the next objective should be to prevent it happening again, moisturising and good foot care is a must , there a hundreds of different creams etc on the market, , personally I use baby oil either in the bath or soak my feet in a bowl with some in it , my podiatrist is amazed how smooth my feet are , and let’s face it canny get smoother than a babies bum hehehe , hope you solve your problem
...Baby oil... I'm making notes here!

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
...Baby oil... I'm making notes here!

Podiatrists tend to recommend urea-based ointments. I have found them very effective on both my heels and the dry skin on my knees. I don't fancy going to bed either with oily feet, or wearing socks over said oily feet.

They work in different ways. Urea draws water into the skin, baby oil traps what is already there - which might not be enough. You want 20% - 30% urea in a moisturiser as at those concentrations (among other things) they break down keratin, and decrease the thickness of the outer layer of the skin.

• Useful
Reactions: JoKalsbeek

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks the for advice I’m going to attempt a GP appointment first. If that doesn’t work out then I’ll try a local podiatrist.
Since your message was sent on Sunday, I trust that by now you have seen someone. If not, just to let you know that some private podiatrist have additional training on treating diabetic feet. At £75 a session, she is the same price as a podiatrist without the extra training.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Podiatrists tend to recommend urea-based ointments. I have found them very effective on both my heels and the dry skin on my knees. I don't fancy going to bed either with oily feet, or wearing socks over said oily feet.

They work in different ways. Urea draws water into the skin, baby oil traps what is already there - which might not be enough. You want 20% - 30% urea in a moisturiser as at those concentrations (among other things) they break down keratin, and decrease the thickness of the outer layer of the skin.
Hmm I tend to use a towel after I’ve soaked my feet , but your right about urea based products , an old wife’s tale for athletes foot is to pee on your feet ,