Do You Class Yourself As A) Reversed B) In Remission C) Controlled D) Other And Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
So glad it helped. She said she would have it done again in a heartbeat. Done about 8 years ago and still working well. No issues. Just has b12 injection every so often.
My brother-in-laws mum was size uk32 now size 18 due to bypass. She loves her freedom from her body which emprisoned her. She's never home.
I'm size22 and hope to get 9st off then regain a little. Anything less than 15.5st is a bonus.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I am cured.....of eating rice, potatoes, fries, pasta and the like, importantly psychologically; I am fortunate to have access to a varied lchf / keto diet, via my wonderful family and other opportunities (I know some are not so lucky, or really miss high GI carbs). I am happy with "in remission", as at present I clear glucose at an acceptable level, meaning I don't spike often past 6 mmol and get into the 4's mainly within 3 to 4 hours. Remission means it is possible to reverse the reverse; as I will never within my control go back to starchy or high GI carbs, I hope my body responds in a similar vein to present.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Good luck for tomorrow Bud! Below are my levels, I’ve typed it all up and it all baffles me a bit. I have never taken any medication and don’t ever want to if I can help it. Thanks for the eGFR explanation , I didn’t understand that like i don’t understand Cholesterol levels! View attachment 27742
For someone on low carbs the total cholesterol figure is not atypical. The high trigs are worthwhile bringing down though. Do you fast for these tests. At least they're stable. In my case they were steadily increasing over time and when they hit 6 was given a low dose ( 5mg ) of statin just to knock it back. The aim is to now keep it down without the statin. I'm still taking 1g of Metformin each night though with no ill effects. Replacing some of the saturated fats with unsaturated seems to be working for now. Guess I'll know for sure after the next few rounds of tests every 3 months or so.
Glenn

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Good luck for tomorrow Bud! Below are my levels, I’ve typed it all up and it all baffles me a bit. I have never taken any medication and don’t ever want to if I can help it. Thanks for the eGFR explanation , I didn’t understand that like i don’t understand Cholesterol levels! View attachment 27742
Thanks for the good wishes. Surgery just rang me. HbA1c came in at 5.4% or 35.5 on the UK scale. Lowest it has ever been. Probably the wrong thread but a massive thanks to all the wonderful contributors on this forum that has steered me in the right direction to tackle this beast. I owe you all a great debt.

Reactions: Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It does depend on what life you end up living. Destiny rules here.
Hasn't it always with starting with diabetes even?

My adventures started young. My remaining family from same grandparents haven't even started.

I'd love to see a diabetic register for us to fill in annually.
A honest interpretation of how the year has been with hba1c attached.
I'd bet most likely stress has the biggest influence.
Cut out stress in your life and bingo better management.
When seeing diabetes psychologist I could off load my worries and it hugely improved my hba1c. Bariatric one was very heavy and I heard factual truth of what is classed as overfeeding as a child. Having a 'bad' mother influenced my diagnosis.
My mum was staying with me pre-Xmas 2001 when I got diagnosed a few months later. We had been pigging out on chocolates, (me) wine and spirits and cream cakes and milky coffees. Neither wonder I had an 100+ hba1c result.
Her influence is to pig out. Overeat and then fall asleep. Often it was so she could go through our pockets. Sad, but true.
I was so nieve with my mum.
I was manipulated no ends. I wouldn't dream of doing that to my kids. However I did have to crawl over hot coals to get mine.
Life circumstances determined diabetes and how YOU manage it.

M

Moggely

normal in @Moggely which is a fantastic result.

thanks so much for for taking time to reply. Have you reduced it by eating LCHF? If so....

Have you seen my thread:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...f-word-together-maybe-the-way-forward.153817/

Just wondering if you would be interested in taking part in any way at all? Joining us in Birmingham, allowing me to tell your story or even just include you in our total weight loss figure which we are hoping will get to 100 stone. Or all 3!!! Thanks.
@Debandez Hi Well I'm in Australia so don't know how I can help really. But I will if I can.

Reactions: Debandez
M

Moggely

Hi @Daphne917 thanks so much for for taking time to reply.

Have you seen my thread:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...f-word-together-maybe-the-way-forward.153817/

Just wondering if you would be interested in taking part in any way at all? Joining us in Birmingham, allowing me to tell your story or even just include you in our total weight loss figure which we are hoping will get to 100 stone. Or all 3!!! Thanks.
@Debandez sorry about last post I thought you were talking to me but yes I did lose it through lchf and still going on with that as it suits me.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am cured.....of eating rice, potatoes, fries, pasta and the like, importantly psychologically; I am fortunate to have access to a varied lchf / keto diet, via my wonderful family and other opportunities (I know some are not so lucky, or really miss high GI carbs). I am happy with "in remission", as at present I clear glucose at an acceptable level, meaning I don't spike often past 6 mmol and get into the 4's mainly within 3 to 4 hours. Remission means it is possible to reverse the reverse; as I will never within my control go back to starchy or high GI carbs, I hope my body responds in a similar vein to present.
Wow! That is absolutely amazing. Your levels are what I aspire to! I do reach 7s. But normally get back to 5s or 6s within 2 hours. 4s rarely these days but I think it's because I reintroduced red wine! I'm ok with 1 glass but 2 of an evening and my fbs can be 6! Or it could be the 2 pieces of choc I'm enjoying for supper (85 %). I reached my weight goal so not drinking gallons of water so I don't drop any more weight. Don't get hungry as such so need to just eat anyway some days. A situation I never saw coming or ever thought I would be in. I'm still learning how my body deals with my condition but this forum and people like you have taught me so much. I will take this opportunity to thank you personally :)

Reactions: Prem51

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the good wishes. Surgery just rang me. HbA1c came in at 5.4% or 35.5 on the UK scale. Lowest it has ever been. Probably the wrong thread but a massive thanks to all the wonderful contributors on this forum that has steered me in the right direction to tackle this beast. I owe you all a great debt.

What a great call to receive!!!! Amazing result there. Well done. This forum and it's members are truly amazing. The help and support is second to non.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Wow! That is absolutely amazing. Your levels are what I aspire to! I do reach 7s. But normally get back to 5s or 6s within 2 hours. 4s rarely these days but I think it's because I reintroduced red wine! I'm ok with 1 glass but 2 of an evening and my fbs can be 6! Or it could be the 2 pieces of choc I'm enjoying for supper (85 %). I reached my weight goal so not drinking gallons of water so I don't drop any more weight. Don't get hungry as such so need to just eat anyway some days. A situation I never saw coming or ever thought I would be in. I'm still learning how my body deals with my condition but this forum and people like you have taught me so much. I will take this opportunity to thank you personally :)
I should say, I supplement with training.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wondering if you have see the thread on the planned event on 1st Sept in Birmingham and if so would you like to join us at all. It would be amazing if you could.

I would love to be there, but we will be travelling up to Northumberland on that day. I will think of you all and hope you all enjoy the occasion.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
What a great call to receive!!!! Amazing result there. Well done. This forum and it's members are truly amazing. The help and support is second to non.
Yes, it was a good call indeed. I was diagnosed 3 years ago but knew nothing and was just packed off to a dietician and given a script for Metformin. The nurse at our local hospital that looks after new diagnoses was about as useful as the bottom half of a mermaid. The usual story of being told testing is unnecessary and eat what's on this picture. I didn't know any better.

I followed this regime of low fats and 'good' carbs. Eventually my feet became numb. I thought it was a nerve in my spine. After a few months my toes began to feel like they were burning and my fingers started to feel numb. It was obvious that the guidelines were not working for me. I ignored the advice and borrowed my Mother's meter for a few days and found to my horror that my sugar levels were no better than they were over a year before. Back to the GP to whinge about my feet. He said I may have peripheral neuropathy and sent me to a neurologist who confirmed it.

By now I was just a little worried and started scouring the net about diabetes and neuropathy. This didn't help with the worry. The stories were awful. I made the logical and independent step to cut back on these so called 'good' carbs. It did help a little bit but obviously I didn't know enough. Eventually I stumbled upon this site and spent months lurking and reading and learning. It soon became obvious that I had to cut the carbs even further, lose more weight and buy my own meter. Several months of following the advice I found here and things began to improve. I read as much as I could about this condition to try and understand. I had lost weight and my feet were slowly getting better.

Earlier this year after lurking for months I felt confident enough to join the gang and contribute. Over the last seven months my feet have improved to the point where I don't notice them and they no longer hurt. I've gone from 106kg down to 88kg and my HbA1c is now in the range of a non diabetic person. I feel fantastic. Best I've been for years.

So Guys and Gals, I seriously mean it when I say thank you. I honestly believe that three years ago rather than send me off to the nurse it would have been much better to simply pass me a slip of paper with this web site on it. I owe each and every member here, no matter how often they visit a great deal of gratitude. I am confident enough to comment on threads now and hope that I can somehow make restitution by helping others that call by.

Anyway, it's after midnight now so off to bed lest I turn into a pumpkin.
Glenn

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it was a good call indeed. I was diagnosed 3 years ago but knew nothing and was just packed off to a dietician and given a script for Metformin. The nurse at our local hospital that looks after new diagnoses was about as useful as the bottom half of a mermaid. The usual story of being told testing is unnecessary and eat what's on this picture. I didn't know any better.

I followed this regime of low fats and 'good' carbs. Eventually my feet became numb. I thought it was a nerve in my spine. After a few months my toes began to feel like they were burning and my fingers started to feel numb. It was obvious that the guidelines were not working for me. I ignored the advice and borrowed my Mother's meter for a few days and found to my horror that my sugar levels were no better than they were over a year before. Back to the GP to whinge about my feet. He said I may have peripheral neuropathy and sent me to a neurologist who confirmed it.

By now I was just a little worried and started scouring the net about diabetes and neuropathy. This didn't help with the worry. The stories were awful. I made the logical and independent step to cut back on these so called 'good' carbs. It did help a little bit but obviously I didn't know enough. Eventually I stumbled upon this site and spent months lurking and reading and learning. It soon became obvious that I had to cut the carbs even further, lose more weight and buy my own meter. Several months of following the advice I found here and things began to improve. I read as much as I could about this condition to try and understand. I had lost weight and my feet were slowly getting better.

Earlier this year after lurking for months I felt confident enough to join the gang and contribute. Over the last seven months my feet have improved to the point where I don't notice them and they no longer hurt. I've gone from 106kg down to 88kg and my HbA1c is now in the range of a non diabetic person. I feel fantastic. Best I've been for years.

So Guys and Gals, I seriously mean it when I say thank you. I honestly believe that three years ago rather than send me off to the nurse it would have been much better to simply pass me a slip of paper with this web site on it. I owe each and every member here, no matter how often they visit a great deal of gratitude. I am confident enough to comment on threads now and hope that I can somehow make restitution by helping others that call by.

Anyway, it's after midnight now so off to bed lest I turn into a pumpkin.
Glenn

@Crocodile that is amazing. What a result yet another person finding the solution on this wonderful site.

Would you mind if I printed off your story and used it in the inspirational stories section of our up and coming event on 1st September in Birmingham? It's a little far for you to travel to read it out yourself!!!

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
@Crocodile that is amazing. What a result yet another person finding the solution on this wonderful site.

Would you mind if I printed off your story and used it in the inspirational stories section of our up and coming event on 1st September in Birmingham? It's a little far for you to travel to read it out yourself!!!
Given the help and advice I've received here how could I possibly object. I just hope that it may help.

I still have nagging doubts about the effectiveness of your event. I'm not being negative, just pragmatic but I admire your drive and will be elated to be proven wrong. Despite this it should go ahead as the raising of awareness must begin somewhere. My reasons are that I feel that questions need to be asked as to why the current guidelines are at odds with what has been shown to have positive outcomes here. Surely there is more to this than "The doctors don't know". There must be reasons for this that I don't know or understand. Until this is understood and then addressed I don't really see that an us and them argument will turn the tide in the short term.

I'm really quite perplexed as to why the dietary plans for diabetics ( 1 and 2 ) are as they are. I seriously doubt that big drug companies want us to be sick and governments are helping them. When things quieten down at work soon I intend to probe and do some research on this. I have some good contacts at high levels in the medical field that I can have a candid conversation with.

One thing that seems odd to me is that my GP tacitly supports my program and is genuinely happy but still pushes guidelines. There is more to this than we understand. I wish you the very best of luck with your efforts.
Glenn

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Given the help and advice I've received here how could I possibly object. I just hope that it may help.

I still have nagging doubts about the effectiveness of your event. I'm not being negative, just pragmatic but I admire your drive and will be elated to be proven wrong. Despite this it should go ahead as the raising of awareness must begin somewhere. My reasons are that I feel that questions need to be asked as to why the current guidelines are at odds with what has been shown to have positive outcomes here. Surely there is more to this than "The doctors don't know". There must be reasons for this that I don't know or understand. Until this is understood and then addressed I don't really see that an us and them argument will turn the tide in the short term.

I'm really quite perplexed as to why the dietary plans for diabetics ( 1 and 2 ) are as they are. I seriously doubt that big drug companies want us to be sick and governments are helping them. When things quieten down at work soon I intend to probe and do some research on this. I have some good contacts at high levels in the medical field that I can have a candid conversation with.

One thing that seems odd to me is that my GP tacitly supports my program and is genuinely happy but still pushes guidelines. There is more to this than we understand. I wish you the very best of luck with your efforts.
Glenn

I know what you mean glenn. The way i look at it is diabetes was never understood all through the years. Reading up on it on wikipedia. Insulin was only discovered about 100 years ago. Its been a learning curve since discovery as to how it is to be used. Effective treatment wasnt developed until they discovered insulin. And metformin in 1922 and only introduced as a med in 1957 in france 1972 in Canada and 1995 in usa and similar for uk. The low fat diet was recommended not only for diabetics but in general about 40 years ago. 43 studies confirm this can cause weight gain and obesity. The health experts are not always right. More and more research is proving the low fat diet isnt as healthy as they expected. The high carb diet for diabetics is the same. Its starting to emerge that this is not the right way to treat us. My mum is driving me. She isnt here any longer. She was given all the wrong advice. If i/we can help one person by doing this that is a result. That might be someones mum, sister, daughter, son, husband etc. So we may not turn this titanic but a little nudge in the right direction is great. You cant eat an elephant whole ....but eventually little by little you can get there.

Edited by mod to adjust the quote layout

Last edited by a moderator:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Glenn
I'm not too sure how many suffragets there were but not so many. And look what they did here in the uk. I do draw the line at hunger striking! :)

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I think you are doing something altruistic and with purpose and I wholeheartedly support you. If I lived in the UK I would be there. I'm a bit of an odd fella in that I like to know answers and am happy to delve and seek them out. I'm an engineer and I guess I habitually think like one. A part of the puzzle is missing and the truth needs to be sought.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I'm not too sure how many suffragets there were but not so many. And look what they did here in the uk. I do draw the line at hunger striking! :)

Very true. It reminds me of a very famous legal case here in Australia concerning one of our indigenous men taking on the system. The presiding judge acknowledged the historical perspective of so called 'agitators' and ruled in his favour. Mr Neal was sentenced to two months imprisonment for spitting on a bailiff while attempting to evict him from his native land. He appealed to the high court. In summing up, Justice Murphy had this to say:

"If he is an agitator, he is in good company. Many of the great religious and political figures of history have been agitators, and human progress owes much to the efforts of these and the many who are unknown. As Wilde aptly pointed out … ‘Agitators are a set of interfering, meddling people, who come down to some perfectly contented class of the community and sow the seeds of discontent amongst them… Without them, in our incomplete state, there would be no advance towards civilisation’. Mr Neal is entitled to be an agitator."

Prophetic words indeed.

Reactions: gemma_T1

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The way i look at it is diabetes was never understood all through the years.

It was known that carbs cause the problems centuries ago and should be avoided, but dairy and fats should be eaten generously. Low carb/high fat diets was the main, if not only, treatment for diabetics (they weren't split into types then). Even after insulin was invented this was the case.

Cookery and Household Management
Printed 1936

Diabetes

Those suffering from this ailment require carefully to avoid all foods containing sugar and starch. The following Must be avoided:

Milk, sugar, flour, cornflour, oatmeal, rice, sago, macaroni, the various pulse foods, fruits containing a high percentage of sugar, potatoes, beets, carrots, peas, parsnips, broad beans, spanish onions.

The following are allowed:

meat, soups, fish, poultry, game and meat of all kinds. Also eggs, butter, cream, cheese, certain vegetables. Light dry wines. Weak unsweetened spirits. Tea, coffee and cocoa which may be sweetened with saccharine. There may be plentiful use of butter, cream, fat and oils if the digestion will allow.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was known that carbs cause the problems centuries ago and should be avoided, but dairy and fats should be eaten generously. Low carb/high fat diets was the main, if not only, treatment for diabetics (they weren't split into types then). Even after insulin was invented this was the case.

Cookery and Household Management
Printed 1936

Diabetes

Those suffering from this ailment require carefully to avoid all foods containing sugar and starch. The following Must be avoided:

Milk, sugar, flour, cornflour, oatmeal, rice, sago, macaroni, the various pulse foods, fruits containing a high percentage of sugar, potatoes, beets, carrots, peas, parsnips, broad beans, spanish onions.

The following are allowed:

meat, soups, fish, poultry, game and meat of all kinds. Also eggs, butter, cream, cheese, certain vegetables. Light dry wines. Weak unsweetened spirits. Tea, coffee and cocoa which may be sweetened with saccharine. There may be plentiful use of butter, cream, fat and oils if the digestion will allow.

I love this, I can’t believe how this was turned on it’s head for so long yet now we are having to try to turn it back again! :wideyed:

Status
Not open for further replies.