Do You Class Yourself As A) Reversed B) In Remission C) Controlled D) Other And Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It was known that carbs cause the problems centuries ago and should be avoided, but dairy and fats should be eaten generously. Low carb/high fat diets was the main, if not only, treatment for diabetics (they weren't split into types then). Even after insulin was invented this was the case.

Cookery and Household Management
Printed 1936

Diabetes

Those suffering from this ailment require carefully to avoid all foods containing sugar and starch. The following Must be avoided:

Milk, sugar, flour, cornflour, oatmeal, rice, sago, macaroni, the various pulse foods, fruits containing a high percentage of sugar, potatoes, beets, carrots, peas, parsnips, broad beans, spanish onions.

The following are allowed:

meat, soups, fish, poultry, game and meat of all kinds. Also eggs, butter, cream, cheese, certain vegetables. Light dry wines. Weak unsweetened spirits. Tea, coffee and cocoa which may be sweetened with saccharine. There may be plentiful use of butter, cream, fat and oils if the digestion will allow.
That's incredible!!!! What ever went wrong? How did it change so drastically?

Thanks for sharing this bye the way. It was eye opening!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was known that carbs cause the problems centuries ago and should be avoided, but dairy and fats should be eaten generously. Low carb/high fat diets was the main, if not only, treatment for diabetics (they weren't split into types then). Even after insulin was invented this was the case.

Cookery and Household Management
Printed 1936

Diabetes

Those suffering from this ailment require carefully to avoid all foods containing sugar and starch. The following Must be avoided:

Milk, sugar, flour, cornflour, oatmeal, rice, sago, macaroni, the various pulse foods, fruits containing a high percentage of sugar, potatoes, beets, carrots, peas, parsnips, broad beans, spanish onions.

The following are allowed:

meat, soups, fish, poultry, game and meat of all kinds. Also eggs, butter, cream, cheese, certain vegetables. Light dry wines. Weak unsweetened spirits. Tea, coffee and cocoa which may be sweetened with saccharine. There may be plentiful use of butter, cream, fat and oils if the digestion will allow.
That's very good advice for us today (except for the saccharin) :)

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's incredible!!!! What ever went wrong? How did it change so drastically?

Thanks for sharing this bye the way. It was eye opening!

My guess is that the grains and pharma lobby came along to support each other and decided that low fat grains based food with mythical nutrients are essential for life irregardless of one's metabolic condition...and so we end up where we are today.

ADD: ADA and friends moved the message away from enjoying normal glucose levels with appropriate carbs reduction to the right to enjoy life (eat carbs) just like everyone else.

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree about the saccharin, it’s the only sweetener that affects my blood sugars :wideyed:
I think saccharin was the only artificial sweetener widely available in those days. I remember my mother taking those in her coffee when I was a child.

Reactions: Freema

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think saccharin was the only artificial sweetener widely available in those days. I remember my mother taking those in her coffee when I was a child.

I still take it in my cups of tea. Tried Stevia and don't like it. I have used Saccharine since the 1980's when I first went to Weight Watchers. I don't use artificial sweeteners in anything else.

Reactions: liarsdance

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez - I'm not trying to poooh-hoo anything you're doing here, but if recipes are posted here, on this thread, then those attending the even will already have had the opportunity to see them? Who would be benefitting from your providing handouts?

A few years ago, a colleague of mine at that time, was committed to raising some money in memory of a friend who had passed away. One of the things she did was gather recipes from friends and colleagues, but they had to be their recipes, not something from a book, or online blogger. She then asked the recipe creators to name their recipe and add a few words dialogue about it. It could have been "My kids' favourite lunch on a rainy day", or "looks horrendous, but tastes divine", or whatever.

From there she sorted into starters, mains, puds, baking or whatever and printed a few out. She eventually had some printed and bound by her local printer and sold them, in work, at cake sales and so on, and raised quite a bit of money, which our company matched.

It was a lovely idea, and no copyright or intellectual property issues to be concerned about and some fun food. Some recipes were really simple, like cauli cheese with mustard or such like.

Not suggesting this is something to go onto your agenda, just a bit of a stream of consciousness.

(For clarity - this post was made by me, personally. Nothing to do with my Mod or Admin status at DCUK.)

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I love this, I can’t believe how this was turned on it’s head for so long yet now we are having to try to turn it back again! :wideyed:
Bingo. That is the burning question. Not the fact that it was turned on its head but why. I simply don't buy the argument that it is a conspiracy between drug companies and governments deliberately keeping us sick for their own interests. Answer this and your campaign will be in better shape.

Reactions: gemma_T1 and Rachox

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I still take it in my cups of tea. Tried Stevia and don't like it. I have used Saccharine since the 1980's when I first went to Weight Watchers. I don't use artificial sweeteners in anything else.
I tried saccharin too in my early teens but didn't like it, then moved on to candarel when that became the one to have. Finally in my twenties, I gave up sugar/sweeteners in my drinks altogether - at the same time I gave up smoking as I recall!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Given the help and advice I've received here how could I possibly object. I just hope that it may help.

I still have nagging doubts about the effectiveness of your event. I'm not being negative, just pragmatic but I admire your drive and will be elated to be proven wrong. Despite this it should go ahead as the raising of awareness must begin somewhere. My reasons are that I feel that questions need to be asked as to why the current guidelines are at odds with what has been shown to have positive outcomes here. Surely there is more to this than "The doctors don't know". There must be reasons for this that I don't know or understand. Until this is understood and then addressed I don't really see that an us and them argument will turn the tide in the short term.

I'm really quite perplexed as to why the dietary plans for diabetics ( 1 and 2 ) are as they are. I seriously doubt that big drug companies want us to be sick and governments are helping them. When things quieten down at work soon I intend to probe and do some research on this. I have some good contacts at high levels in the medical field that I can have a candid conversation with.

One thing that seems odd to me is that my GP tacitly supports my program and is genuinely happy but still pushes guidelines. There is more to this than we understand. I wish you the very best of luck with your efforts.
Glenn
I think you are doing something altruistic and with purpose and I wholeheartedly support you. If I lived in the UK I would be there. I'm a bit of an odd fella in that I like to know answers and am happy to delve and seek them out. I'm an engineer and I guess I habitually think like one. A part of the puzzle is missing and the truth needs to be sought.

That's me too! I need answers.

If nothing else this event will be a great opportunity to meet up face to face with fellow members. But I'm hoping it will be much much more. It just feels right to do it.

Reactions: Guzzler

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very true. It reminds me of a very famous legal case here in Australia concerning one of our indigenous men taking on the system. The presiding judge acknowledged the historical perspective of so called 'agitators' and ruled in his favour. Mr Neal was sentenced to two months imprisonment for spitting on a bailiff while attempting to evict him from his native land. He appealed to the high court. In summing up, Justice Murphy had this to say:

"If he is an agitator, he is in good company. Many of the great religious and political figures of history have been agitators, and human progress owes much to the efforts of these and the many who are unknown. As Wilde aptly pointed out … ‘Agitators are a set of interfering, meddling people, who come down to some perfectly contented class of the community and sow the seeds of discontent amongst them… Without them, in our incomplete state, there would be no advance towards civilisation’. Mr Neal is entitled to be an agitator."

Prophetic words indeed.
And the court case involving prof tim noakes! Who was found not guilty...eventually....of professional misconduct for giving out LCHF advice. I don't intend ending up in court either:)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez - I'm not trying to poooh-hoo anything you're doing here, but if recipes are posted here, on this thread, then those attending the even will already have had the opportunity to see them? Who would be benefitting from your providing handouts?

A few years ago, a colleague of mine at that time, was committed to raising some money in memory of a friend who had passed away. One of the things she did was gather recipes from friends and colleagues, but they had to be their recipes, not something from a book, or online blogger. She then asked the recipe creators to name their recipe and add a few words dialogue about it. It could have been "My kids' favourite lunch on a rainy day", or "looks horrendous, but tastes divine", or whatever.

From there she sorted into starters, mains, puds, baking or whatever and printed a few out. She eventually had some printed and bound by her local printer and sold them, in work, at cake sales and so on, and raised quite a bit of money, which our company matched.

It was a lovely idea, and no copyright or intellectual property issues to be concerned about and some fun food. Some recipes were really simple, like cauli cheese with mustard or such like.

Not suggesting this is something to go onto your agenda, just a bit of a stream of consciousness.

(For clarity - this post was made by me, personally. Nothing to do with my Mod or Admin status at DCUK.)

I don't mind at all! I've taken on board your comments and incorporated them into my new thread. Hope you don't mind :) Thanks so much.

Reactions: DCUKMod

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't mind at all! I've taken on board your comments and incorporated them into my new thread. Hope you don't mind :) Thanks so much.

No worries - It just struck we have so many inventive cooks, focused on how "we" generally like to feed ourselves. I know I have certainly kidnapped several fabulous things from members here.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ANOTHER VERY QUICK UPDATE (I have guests arriving this weekend so limited time - sorry)

Sorry for bold and CAPITALS Im really not shouting.

FIRSTLY THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT AND HELP/ADVICE ON THIS - INVALUABLE

DATE - Saturday 1st September - planned event (informal) supported by DCUK.
NB - FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE ON EARLIER THREADS CONFIRMED YOUR ATTENDANCE AND IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE DEFINITELY ATTENDING SO THAT DCUK CAN SEND YOU A PERSONAL INVITE - THANKS

VENUE
We now know the venue will be central Birmingham. Although the actual venue is still to be confirmed. Because of this we are not yet sure of maximum numbers that we can have there. If you are interested please let me know as soon as possible.

DAY
BEFORE
Some of us are going up the day before to make the most of the event, please let me know if you would like to go the the day before and I will give you further details.

The event will be coordinated by DCUK who have been amazing in sorting venue, lunch and general assistance.

SCHEDULE

• Lots of people there experienced in LCHF woe to chat to (it will be an informal event). People who have succeeded very well in reaching their goal of gaining control of BS usually with the added bonus of weight loss.
Lots of info to pick up:
  • How to reduce HBA1C to enjoy life without complications
  • LCHF receipes including breakfast, lunches, meals and desserts (please send any you would like to be included to me or if you prefer please add them on this thread)
  • Cholesterol information as many people worry when setting off on this woe that it may have detrimental effect on them
  • Inspirational stories for you to read about - if you are happy to share your journey in the booklet let me know on this thread
  • Before and after photos - please let me know if you would like to inspire others by sharing yours.
  • Exercise ideas
  • Fasting and how it can be incorporated into your lifestyle
  • the importance of monitors and finger pricking

THE MAIN EVENT AT THE EVENT!

We intend to have a photo taken of how we look after following this woe and with our BIG clothes on. It will be obviously linked in to the fact that we have taken control of our Diabetes and reduced our HBA1c levels significantly to avoid future complications with this woe. It's not just about 'look how much weight we have lost'. Only for people happy to have their photo taken - there will be a videographer, photographer and PR team there to capture the event, this will help spread the word far and wide about how amazing the LCHF woe is for Diabetics, and for people who generally want to have better health. This is a fantastic opportunity and our chance to get the message across to a wider audience. T-Shirts may be provided by DCUK for photo (to be confirmed)
***Anyone interested in joining in on the BIG photo please let me know as soon as possible***

Really looking forward to meeting up with fellow diabetics, I feel there is very little support for us out there in the community, and to this brilliant opportunity to spread the LCHF word and, fingers crossed, it will have the desired ripple effect!!! :)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Debandez when I got the call yesterday re my results the dr classed my diabetes as "well controlled",:happy: Did I mention that it was 41 from 82?:smug:
In my youth the word "control" was used to advertise corsets.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.