DUK - Eating Well with T2 - DOH!!!!

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
For those who believe that DUK have turned the corner in their NHS-esque version of healthy eating for T2, then the latest version of their Eating Well with T2 Diabetes document will put paid to that....

.....namely......

The actual amount of carbohydrate that the body needs varies
depending on your age, weight and activity levels, but it should
make up about half of what you eat and drink. For good health
most of this should be from starchy carbohydrate
, fruits and
some dairy foods, with no more than one fifth of your total
carbohydrate to come from added sugar or table sugar.

:? :roll: :( :shock: :? :roll: :? :shock:

Steve

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
So, if you are a man on say 2,500 calories a day 1,250 should come from carbs and of that no more than 20%, or 250 calories, should be in the form of table sugar... :cry:

So, it's fine for me to have 10 sugar cubes a day (on the basis that a sugar cube has 25 calories) as part of my 'balanced diet' but I should try not to have 11 or more though...

Lord, as a Type 2 it's o.k for you to jump in front of buses as well*, as long as you don't do that more than say 4 or 5 times a day...

Dillinger

* It's not you know, and nor is the sugar o.k...

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Steve.

I despair.....will they never give up pushing the same old stuff. I should think by now even the most die hard Diabetic knows that starchy carbs are what push up the Bg levels and finally contribute to obesity and complications.

One day, maybe. somebody might have the guts to go against the perceived wisdom regarding diet. I'm not a proper low carber, but low GI/GL together with drastically reduced carbs. I have never felt better or fitter in my life due to this. The weight has just peeled off and Bg levels were fine.

Maybe this sites main pages should advocate alternative diet advice, contrary to DUK offerings. :twisted:

valattrevear

Dislikes
Vegetables!
This sort of advice appearing in print can be very annoying! :evil: My stepson is convinced that my polite refusal to eat his carb loaded meals is down to some mental abberation. I have begged him to read this site with me, but he reads the leaflets that come from DUK and my local surgery and will not hear anything else. I coud slap him! :x :x :x
Val

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have no problems with carbs, in fact it is the opposite, if I don't have enough carbs the BG levels goes up. I have tried a low carb diet with disastrous consequences.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Lets not forget that "half of what you eat and drink" refers to portions not the percentage of carbohydrate in that half and "no more than a fifth" means just what it says, it doesn't mean you have to consume a fifth.

I have half a grapefruit for breakfast most mornings thats about 6g of carbs a small amount of fibre and some trace minerals and vitamins so thats about 90%+ carbohydrate then :lol:

Lunch might be a ham sandwich and an apple if you take a couple of slices of Burgen bread and an apple and picture them next to a slice of ham. What, 95%?(36g carbs)

The same thing at diner, 4 ounces of new potatoes and some mixed veg would probably look more than 50% on the plate next to a chicken breast in breadcrumbs. So now half doesn't look so much does it? (20g carbs)

Or have I got it wrong?

Reactions: mj224

wallycorker

Bluenoseol - That's the main reason that I've recently cancelled my standing order to Diabetes UK after having been a member for nine years!!!!! :x

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm still a member of DUK. I'm attending a meeting in a couple of weeks. Last time I met there, they told me they would be looking at low carb diet again. i'll ask how far they've got and what scientific evidence they have for their advice. In the meantime, please would more people write to them on the subject. They know that some people reduce carbs, but not how many of the Well controlled diabetics do so.
Hana

wallycorker

hanadr said:
...................please would more people write to them on the subject. They know that some people reduce carbs, but not how many of the Well controlled diabetics do so..................
Hana - Quite a long time ago now, I sent them my story of Type 2 reversal via the correct link their website. To-date, I've not even received an acknowledgement!

I think it might be that they are more interested in raising money and maintaining their jobs and lifestyle than they are in getting the best possible advice out to diabetics. After all, if there weren't any diabetics there wouldn't be a need for the Diabetes UK charity - i.e. they would be out of work. Or is that just me becoming a little bit too cynical in my old age?

John

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Hi Sid,

62g a day eh?...

....sounds like a good lo carb diet to me....(although I prefer to stay below 50g).

Steve.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Bluenosesol said:
Hi Sid,

62g a day eh?...

....sounds like a good lo carb diet to me....(although I prefer to stay below 50g).

Steve.

I did think that myself after posting that, but I only put the % of carbs there to qualify the point I was trying to make about this 'half/50%' thing :lol:
I do in truth also eat other fruits though the day and often nuts as a snack as well so my total daily carb intake is probably closer to 100grams I would guess.

I actually went to my hospitals diabetic clinic this morning and while i was there I picked up the DUK's latest booklet, here is a page from it.

duk_plate.jpg

It kind of puts the 50% in context I think, I see 3 smallish new potatoes loads of veggies and a piece of chicken, fish etc. What do others see?

I just don't think the Diabetes UK advice is that far off the mark, but its the way you perceive it. I see a plate where half of it is carbs and the rest is made up of fibre and protein etc What I would call a good healthy balanced plate of food. :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Sid
do you crumb the chicken yourself?
If you buy it ready
I suggest you read the amount of carb. It can be quite a lot. It's about 3carbs in a fish finger.
Hana
Ps DIY you can get away with much less.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Is there ANY basis for this advice quoted from the leaflet:
Why is carbohydrate important?
All carbohydrate is converted into glucose and will have an
impact on blood glucose levels. Since this is the case, some people
with diabetes wonder if it would be better not to have any
carbohydrate in their diet to keep their glucose levels under
control. This is not recommended as:
• glucose from carbohydrate is essential to the body, especially the brain
• high fibre carbohydrates, such as wholegrains and fruit, also play an important role in the health of the gut
• some carbohydrates may help you to feel fuller for longer after eating.
Is there any evidence to suggest that a BS or HBA in the range 5-6.5 causes a deterioration of brain & body functions :?: I do word & number puzzles, prepare sermons, play music & sing, & play tennis at an age when anyone might be slowing down. (As I was, before reducing carbs.) I even contribute to this & other forums.

I include fibre in my diet & do not have a problem.

I feel fuller for longer, although I am eating less.

I was thoroughly tested for heart, diabetes & cognitive functions as part of a long term study earlier this year. NOTHING was noted that needed referring to the Dr. (See SABRE.)

FordPrefect

Its true that the brain works pretty much exclusively on glucose and there are long term studies that indicate that lack of carbs can cause problems. No I dont have the links I saw these about 6-9 months ago when I researching myself also saw a study in a science magazine think it was new scientist. I am talking about long term studies though. There was a study which claimed that even over the short term it can cause problems but I saw a few places rubbish those conclusions.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
hanadr said:
Sid
do you crumb the chicken yourself?
If you buy it ready
I suggest you read the amount of carb. It can be quite a lot. It's about 3carbs in a fish finger.
Hana
Ps DIY you can get away with much less.

The chicken in breadcrumbs was just an example Hanna although it was what I had the other night and rather nice it was too :D Tesco's fresh chicken breast in breadcrumbs so I/we dont crumb our own I'm afraid.

I added on 4g of carbs in my example to cover the breadcrumbs and the veg which with hindsight was probably under estimated, I did read the carb content some time ago when we first had them for diner but to be honest I have forgotten now, I just know that one chicken breast, 3 or 4 small potatoes and some mixed veg means I need to inject X units of insulin depending on my pre meal numbers. The 4oz of new pots boiled in their skins is only 16g of carbs according to my Collins Gem, obviously more if a larger portion is eaten. :lol:

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Just had a long chat with a techie at DUK. Their advice is based on long term studies & they are not going to change it because of favourable reports of contrary experiences like mine. She did say that BS & HBA of 5-6.5 would be satisfactory & NOT cause brain malfunction. So WHY NOT recommend reduced carb, rather than dismiss NO carb?

She's glad it works for me. That's all they ever say.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Jo ,that last paragraph is what is quoted in the first post. What point are you trying to make ?

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
jopar said:
If one reads ALL the information on the website on the DUK it gives a different view indeed

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-dia ... bohydrate/

Check the bottom paragraph entitiled How much do I need

Sheds a different light on it all doesn't it...

Indeed it does Jopar,

The actual amount of carbohydrate that the body needs varies depending on your age, weight and activity levels, but it should make up about half of what you eat and drink.
For good health most of this should be from starchy carbohydrate, fruits and some dairy foods, with no more than one fifth of your total carbohydrate to come from added sugar or table sugar

Yep seeing according to my dietitian I need to consume a minimum 3500 cals per day, bring on the insulin. :cry: :cry: :cry:

This is new from DUK.

Eating well with Type 2 Diabetes

Breakfast

Bread, toast, bread muffins and crumpets are good alternatives
to cereal. All are fine but wholegrain and granary versions are
better for making you feel fuller for longer. Choose a low fat
spread or one based on monounsaturated fat. Ordinary jams and marmalades or reduced sugar versions are okay too.

Lunch

Making time for lunch is good for us all especially for controlling
your appetite as well as your diabetes. Lean meat, fish, eggs,
beans, pulses, soups and salads are all good choices. Try these
with granary bread, toast, pitta bread, jacket potatoes, pasta or
rice. For a better balance try adding some extra salad and follow
lunch with a piece of fruit or a low fat or diet yogurt

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/upload/9831 ... pe%202.pdf

Graham