Hoping To Get A Pump

Julian_Hands

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm a type 1 diabetic and 45 years old after having type 1 diabetes since I was 4.
I saw my hospital practitioner a couple of weeks ago and thankfully due to my be Agamatrix Wavesense Wireless blood glucose meter and the iPhone app, it has given me the data I've always needed to show the need for s pump.
I commute to work on my bike 3-4 times per week (30.3km hilly terrain each way) this causes me to have BG spikes which with Novorapid insulin I can by taking regular jabs to keep on track.
My Hb1A readings are always in the target range so I always feel nobody listens, but at last with the iPhone App the spikes were apparent and it was clear that during my none cycling days my control was spot on and flat lined between 4-6.
After trawling the Internet I'm a little curious if I get a pump can I choose which model I would like, I.e. An Animas Vibe or Accu-check combo, or am I governed by whatever the hospital provide?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are really desperate for a particular pump and your hospital doesn't provide it, you could ask to transfer to a different hospital that does, but that might be more trouble than it's worth if your clinic has agreed to support a pump for you. Find out which pumps your clinic offers - there is probably one in there you will be happy with - fingers crossed the ones you have mentioned might be on the list :)

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Best thing to do is ask them what pump or pumps are going to be available to you and if you can choose if possible.

Might be a good idea to download the manuals of each pump and read them as i did and pick out which one might suit you the best and then hope and prey that your NHS area provides the one or ones you feel will meet your needs the best.

With this information you could then tell your diabetic team why your preferred pump will suit you best.

I didnt get a choice but i did have a preference for the MiniMed 640G or the Accu-Chek Insight. I got the MiniMed 640G and chuffed with it.

Regards

Martin

Julian_Hands

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Thank you for your valued response.
I'll speak with the hospital and see what's on offer, thankful for the technology available now a days to make the control better, just wish my old practitioner would of been a little more educated. It does feel like the only advice you get sometimes is that which you can research yourself, my new practitioner is the only one who has listened in a long time and thankfully I've managed now to produce the BG results in a transparent way that clearly show my trends and spikes due to exercise.
Hopefully the future will bring better systems that may allow CGM as standard without the current high expense.

Julian_Hands

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I had a follow up appointment last Wednesday and interviewed by 3 consultants who have agreed to put me on a pump, again thankfully I was prepared with all my glucose results via my Wavesense Wireless BG meter and and the Agamatrix App.
I have a choice of the Animas Vibe, Accucheck Combo, Accucheck Insight or Meditronic 640g.
I was tempted for the Medtronic 640g but as the key selling feature of this pump is Smartguard that requires sensors not supported by the NHS and work out at over £3000. I'm edging towards the Accucheck range, I know the Insight has had some issues but curious if anyone finds the handset to be a worthy bit of technology or if the Combo handset is just as good?

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Julian_Hands

I've used both the Combo and the Insight as well as demo'd for 3 months the Omnipod. I also had the choice of a Vibe and a Medtronic.

I chose the Accucheck Combo first 5 years ago because I needed remote control of the pump to fit my lifestyle.

This was replaced earlier this year and after looking at what was available it was a close call between the Vibe and the Insight, but I choose the Insight again for the remote control. I would not go back to a Combo.

As far as handsets go, I have far more issues with the Combo handset than the Insight. I had had no issues with the Insight Pump or Handset, you need to be patient as the Insight allows you to take multiple boluses overlapping each other so it does take some time to work out your dosage, longer than the Combo handset. I did have three replacement Combo handsets over 4 yrs, due to battery and other faults.

I would make a list of the things you need your pump to cover and then check it off against each pump.

I would agree on your analysis of the Medtronic CGM system that goes with its pump.

Last edited:

Julian_Hands

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Thanks Chas C, great write up and response. The Bluetooth handset for me maybe crucial as I'm a keen cyclist that likes doing Audax events of 200km to 600km distances. I really like the idea of not having to rummage around on these day events to adjust the pump if it could be controlled remotely via a handset. The only other system I have now seen is the new Cellnovo patch that again has a remote handset, similar to the Insight.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do a lot of whitewater and sea kayaking, when wearing dry suits etc its very hard to get to the pump so hence remote is also what I need too. Although I do admit to doing probably 50% of my non kayaking pump adjustments manually on the pump.

This is what puts me off the Cellnovo and Omnipod, the handsets for these are essential for operation. Also when travelling you need to take a lot more kit with you and I travel a lot.

With the Insight, Combo and Medtronic you have the option of manual on pump and also remote. My reasons for not choosing Medtronic was its size and weight, although the new one is much lighter its still large and the linked CGM is not liked by a lot of its users.

Most people take the view that their pump is the best so its really down to personal choice as to what fits your lifestyle.

Julian_Hands

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I think my lifestyle and thought processes are alike, I've been viewing endless YouTube videos and there are allot on the Medtronic 640g, but I see this as a large pump, that as I said earlier has some great features that will just tease me as I'm unable to justify the £3000 plus expenditure per annum for the sensors.
I like the Accucheck range as between the pump and the 360 software, will give great control.
I currently love my Agamatrix Bluetooth BG meter but it's not great for reporting so think to have this full suit will give me the best introduction to pumps.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Julian

I use the Dexcom G4 CGM, I purchase about 14 sensors a year each costing @ £51.25 each then roughly one transmitter a year @ $260 so about £980 each year. The Receiver costs £350 and this is a one off cost. My sensors last 4 wks each.

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
...after looking at what was available it was a close call between the Vibe and the Insight, but I choose the Insight again for the remote control. I would not go back to a Combo.

As far as handsets go, I have far more issues with the Combo handset than the Insight. I had had no issues with the Insight Pump or Handset, you need to be patient as the Insight allows you to take multiple boluses overlapping each other so it does take some time to work out your dosage, longer than the Combo handset. I did have three replacement Combo handsets over 4 yrs, due to battery and other faults.

I would make a list of the things you need your pump to cover and then check it off against each pump.

I would agree on your analysis of the Medtronic CGM system that goes with its pump.

Why not the Vibe? Wouldn't Vibe make more sense for the integration with Dexcom that you also use?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I was recently given a 640g with no choice after having the combo and then the Insight. I hated the 640g. I have set issues tho with Accuchek. Currently back on MDI.
I personally think it is a must to see and handle pumps and have choice. I'm glad ypu got choice.
For me a full remote control on Insight was needed. It has more functionality than the combo handset.
If I get the choice now I'm being referred to tertiary care then my choice would be DANA pump. Ist choice wpuld have been Accuchek but the sets block in me (all types), they didn't with 640g but due to other illnesses and lifestyle the 640g was not for me at all under any circumstances.
Accuchek customer service is second to none.