I’m in big trouble

Lisa5

Hi everyone.
I had a call from the nurse today. My blood sugars are 69- no idea what this means as I’m used to the old BM scores.
My cholesterol is 7.8

A discussion ensued about weight loss injections. No education around this just come and and we will teach you how to use the injections. Statins mentioned ( not interested).

I’m 46 and my diabetes has affected my left eye which I am awaiting further tests.

can anyone tell me what 69 HBAIC is in old terms.
Has anyone been in a similar situation and through diet and exercise managed to improve things.
Could really do with some moral support here.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
When I was diagnosed as T2, my A1c was a lot higher, I was a disaster! Lost weight and got control of my BG levels through diet and exercise. A1c is your average blood glucose level for about the last 90 days.

I don’t know about weight loss injections. I just followed the advice from the group here, basically going low carb, the weight melted off. So you’ve come to the right place.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone.
I had a call from the nurse today. My blood sugars are 69- no idea what this means as I’m used to the old BM scores.
My cholesterol is 7.8

A discussion ensued about weight loss injections. No education around this just come and and we will teach you how to use the injections. Statins mentioned ( not interested).

I’m 46 and my diabetes has affected my left eye which I am awaiting further tests.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and through diet and exercise managed to improve things.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html
69 mmol/mol is 8.5%

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi everyone.
My cholesterol is 7.8

Hi @Lisa5 Welcome to the best place for support and knowledge. You might try this link:
https://freestylediabetes.co.uk/htt...what-makes-glucose-levels-rise-and-fall/HbA1c
If it doesn't work, you are at 8.9 in old terms.
Eye changes always cause panic - but after 54 years of Type1 I still have very good vision in spite of retinopathy in my twenties.
8.9 isn't dreadful, but the nearer you can get to the norm 5.5 - 7, the more likely you will stay in good shape. Good luck!

Reactions: VashtiB and LaoDan

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes loads of us have put T2 into remission by changing what we eat completely.
Exercise is a nice to have but not essential (I"m still as lazy as ever!).

Remove carbohydrates from your diet. Yep it really is that simple.

Have a read of this and start off on the path to improved help.. and hello and welcome by the way.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

Reactions: VashtiB

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Lisa5 Welcome to the best place for support and knowledge. You might try this link:
https://freestylediabetes.co.uk/htt...what-makes-glucose-levels-rise-and-fall/HbA1c
If it doesn't work, you are at 8.9 in old terms.
Eye changes always cause panic - but after 54 years of Type1 I still have very good vision in spite of retinopathy in my twenties.
8.9 isn't dreadful, but the nearer you can get to the norm 5.5 - 7, the more likely you will stay in good shape. Good luck!
Unless the DCUK calculator is inaccurate, 8.9% is 73.8 mmol/mol.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I have done / am doing the diet and exercise. I did both wrong, but got results. On the diet for my body, I did too many plants, and on the exercise side chronic amounts of cardio based exercise. I believe there is a better way that would have "worked" for me, which could be used as a template.

I would base my diet on meat / fish at the base, back filled with low carb vegetables-greens / salads / berries and less than half a handful of nuts (excluding cashews). I would adjust my eating to 2 meals a day.

On the exercise side, I would walk at least 15 minutes after every meal without exception. I would start slow with body weight exercises, push-ups, squats and stretching. I would progress to power building, focusing on perfect form and gradual over a 18 month period small incremental progressions.

I would adjust my diet to be around 30 percent "real" protein, and implement my exercise routine on the resistance / weight sides to around 20 minutes per day (including the warm up) at around 70% of maximal effort, to ensure there was more than enough time for life and no burnout.

I would replace "weight loss" for "fat loss" - watch waist measurements, clothes fitting if you are doing power building, it is fat inches everyone wants to remove not muscle mass.

Food choices are the most important aspect. Exercise (unless you are a professional) is only worth around 10 - 15% of fat loss, but it helps turn cells over faster, burns glucose independently and is associated with longevity, whilst staving off sarcopenia, stabilising posture - too many things to list.

Skippy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
This might help with conversions - it's called the 50 shades chart.

top row, HbA1c in new numbers
2nd row, HbA1c in old numbers
3rd row - meter reading - mostly used in USA
4th row, meter reading - this is what my meter uses in UK

Attachments

• 50 shades.png
    50 shades.png
    487.7 KB · Views: 143
Reactions: mariavontrapp

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Oh yeah, buy a meter if you haven’t already, you’ll want to test your current meals and cut the ingredients that make you spike. Most likely carbs and sugars

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi and Welcome @Lisa5

Those levels are not ideal but many of us here have had much higher and you can reduce them thru diet.

In the short term get yourself a meter and test your levels which gives you control. Reduce your carbs and take some time to look at some of the links and forums and ask as many questions as you like. Great site this and has helped me enormously.

Lisa5

Thanks everyone. Appreciate you all responding. I’m so surprised the nurse went straight into a new injection to lose weight with little or no other information but to come in and they will teach me how to do this.
I’ve declined snd given myself 3 months then for review.
Has an interesting reduced their cholesterol?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has an interesting reduced their cholesterol?

Whilst you are losing weight (and you almost certainly will) your cholesterol levels will be all over the place.

Once you have your T2 under control and are at a stable weight then we can take a look at cholesterol levels.
A total of "7.8" is pretty meaning less without the breakdown of Triglycerides, HDL and LDL .. if you have those figures and are happy to share then let us know.
However as you have just been diagnosed your cholesterol levels will be "dodgy" (technical term there).

Lisa5

Thank you. I never did get the LDL or HDL ratios. I’ve been diabetic for 10 yrs. I actually think my cholesterol was higher yrs ago. I will check this.
Essentially the fist thing is lose the weight get BM under control then fixes even more on cholesterol

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Essentially the fist thing is lose the weight get BM under control then fixes even more on cholesterol

Exactly, although once we teach you all about cholesterol you might not want to "control" it..

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The main thing is to get back to normal blood glucose levels - reduce carbs and use a meter to check your blood glucose levels.
Let your HCPs wait if all they can suggest is injections to lose weight - you really need to sort out the main problem, high glucose as it can be damaging.
You are wise, I think, to avoid statins - they did dreadful things to me, and no one seemed all that bothered about it.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The weekly injections from a drug in the 'glutide' group may have some side effects but usually works. The best thing is to reduce the carbs in your diet to get the weight and BS down naturally and possibly avoid the injections.