Increase in fasting BG... injured my arm and shoulder haven’t been sleeping properly any advice

charlie000

Recently injured my shoulder and arm. My fasting BG has gone up to around 5.2... yes I know it’s in a good range but my fasting BG before my injury was around 4.2-4.8mmol

Been sleeping around 3-4 hours a night as I keep getting woken up by the pain...

Extremely stressed right now.

Still doing One Meal A Day as I’m used to it...

Any advice?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Where's that long awaited HBA1C reading?

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Recently injured my shoulder and arm. My fasting BG has gone up to around 5.2... yes I know it’s in a good range but my fasting BG before my injury was around 4.2-4.8mmol

Been sleeping around 3-4 hours a night as I keep getting woken up by the pain...

Extremely stressed right now.

Still doing One Meal A Day as I’m used to it...

Any advice?
Stress and lack of sleep will do that to you, I do hope that you get well soon! It may be a bit of physiological insulin resistance coming in as well if you’re still doing low carb too.

D

Deleted member 308541

Recently injured my shoulder and arm
Did you go to your GP regarding the "injury", did he / she suggest you take any pain killers to kill any aches / pains etc.

Your bgl is still in limits, nothing to worry about there.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You are normoglycaemic despite your injuries and poor sleep. What advice do you expect?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bed bound for an arm injury, that you haven’t sought medical help for. One half of that statement shouldn’t go with the other. Why would an arm injury keep you in bed?

If it’s that severe you can’t even get out of bed then you really urgently should be seen to establish what’s happened to it. If it’s not, then not moving it at all will likely make things worse and risk a frozen shoulder which you really really don’t want.

You do also need to go get that hb1ac.

charlie000

How 'bout your next post deals with the real issue and not the distractions?

Mike believe it or not. When I went to my GP about this I also asked to be sent for a full bloods and to look at my Hba1c.

GP said: you should be more worried about this.

charlie000

Bed bound for an arm injury, that you haven’t sought medical help for. One half of that statement shouldn’t go with the other. Why would an arm injury keep you in bed?

If it’s that severe you can’t even get out of bed then you really urgently should be seen to establish what’s happened to it. If it’s not, then not moving it at all will likely make things worse and risk a frozen shoulder which you really really don’t want.

You do also need to go get that hb1ac.

Believe it or not, my doctor wants to investigate this first as a priority.

I have sought medical help. Had urgent ultrasounds waiting on results next week

Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Believe it or not, my doctor wants to investigate this first as a priority.

I have sought medical help. Had urgent ultrasounds waiting on results next week
Sorry I thought you hadn’t seen anyone for the arm. Still not sure why it keeps you bed bound, though perhaps not very active if in a lot of pain. Do try and move it a bit, within the confines of the pain, unless advised otherwise of course

No reason both conditions can’t be addressed simultaneously, though it really doesn’t look like there’s a serious/urgent problem with glucose going on your readings as they pretty good. Looks more and more like some sort of error with that reported high reading in hospital

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Mike believe it or not. When I went to my GP about this I also asked to be sent for a full bloods and to look at my Hba1c.

GP said: you should be more worried about this.

That's a detour and a lame excuse, NOT a reason. I doubt we're getting the entire picture.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlie000

charlie000

Sorry I thought you hadn’t seen anyone for the arm. Still not sure why it keeps you bed bound, though perhaps not very active if in a lot of pain. Do try and move it a bit, within the confines of the pain, unless advised otherwise of course

No reason both conditions can’t be addressed simultaneously, though it really doesn’t look like there’s a serious/urgent problem with glucose going on your readings as they pretty good. Looks more and more like some sort of error with that reported high reading in hospital

It is very painful. They’re investigating to see if it’s a tendon tear.

Prior to sen injury I was very active walking at least 3 miles daily with gym too

Can I walk in to my hospital and get a full blood or does my Dr have to request it? He’s just gone on holiday back on 11 June!

charlie000

When I cough sneeze and even some heavy breathing causes the pain.

More bed bound due to sudden movements causing pain.

Hopefully no tear just badly strained

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
When it causes that kind of pain, it's usually not just a sprain. Will you have to wait for your GP to come back to get the results of the ultra sound? Or will someone refer you right away without him? Shoulder pain is the pits and I remember I could only sleep on one side.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having had an incredibly bad frozen shoulder and ended up drugged to the eye balls trying and failing to control it (surgery was done in the end and it was a mess inside and also needed bone shaving) I understand your reluctance to get out of bed but honestly literally staying in bed will make the rest of you feel even worse. Even just moving around the house and garden slowly and gently is better than bed.

Is your dr the only one? Who is giving you the results next week and taking appropriate action on them?