Newly diagnosed need help with diet please

floridagal

Hi my DN has told me eat three regular meals ..to always include carbohydrate with my meal..reduce sugar and fat intake as I am obese :(
I have done this for the last week but now want to try the low carb diet. Seems complicated to me :oops:
Can someone just quickly summarise which carbohydrates I can eat and which I should definately avoid ?

Thanks

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
An easy way to get started would be to halve all the obvious carbohydrates on your plate ie potatoes, rice, pasta and only eat small amounts of either Burgen bread or Wholegrain/Multigrain type breads, and a small loaf sandwich is always going to be better than a full loaf sandwich, few T2 diabetics can deal with white bread and wholemeal is the same as white bread it just has more fibre but is not kinder to your blood glucose (bg) levels.

Also watch out for things like fresh fruit, bananas, grapes and melon are generally not good in anything but very small portions and as a rule of thumb a portion should be no bigger than one cupped hand.

Fruit juices like orange, pineapple, apple and grapefruit are very high in carbs and best avoided or only drunk in very small amounts. The more a food or drink is processed or broken down prior to eating the worse it will be for your bg levels, for that reason mashed potato is generally worse than boiled new potatoes in the skins so whilst you may find that mashed potato sends your meter into orbit three or four small walnut sized new potatoes in their skins may be OK for you but everyone is different and has different levels of insulin resistance and pancreatic function so no diet is going to suit any two of us, you have to find your own lifestyle that fits into what food you like to eat and that doesnt spike your bg levels, and you will only find out what foods do that by testing :thumbup:

The best advice though despite what your doctor may have told you is to test before and two hours after every meal and keep reducing the carbohydrate content of your meals until the gap in readings between the two is less than 2 mmol/L and 1 is better still.

Hope this helps :D

the east man

Dislikes
having to think about everything I eat
floridagal said:
Hi my DN has told me eat three regular meals ..to always include carbohydrate with my meal..reduce sugar and fat intake as I am obese :(
I have done this for the last week but now want to try the low carb diet. Seems complicated to me :oops:
Can someone just quickly summarise which carbohydrates I can eat and which I should definately avoid ?

Thanks
All good advice there, also try these websites. dietdoctor.com and bloodsugar101.com

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
One other thing that helped me to cut down on the amount of food I ate generally was starting to use a smaller diner plate, sounds daft but the difference a full plate of food makes on a 12" plate to a 10" plate can be almost double...

A smaller plate help tricks the mind into thinking you are eating more than you are so you feel fuller with less food :thumbup:

floridagal

Thankyou the eastman for the web links I really liked the blood sugar 101 site. Sid Bonkers what a good idea about the plate will try this. Also pleased to announce that today I got a reading of 9.8 mmols..I know you all probably think this is poor but my blood sugar was 20mmols last week and last night before bed it was 21.6mmols.
Today two hours after my carb free meal it was 9.8 mmols :lol: So nice to see a fall in my blood sugar levels as saying goodbye to all my favourite foods which were cakes biscuits sweets etc and non diet pop hasn`t been the easiest thing to do over the last 8 days since I was diagnosed.
Looking forward to seeing my numbers get lower and lower.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I followed the "carbs with every meal" advice for 7 years - with BS readings around 7. Then complications set in - chronic tiredness (I'd had that for years), the beginning of retina damage, then crippling muscle pain.

Then I found this forum - a low carb diet reversed the symptoms with 3 months. 4 years on I am still free of symptoms. (apart from male ED.)

floridagal

IanD, can i ask if you still count the carbs..if so how many is ok for you in a day or do you just know now that you have been doing it so long ?

David Rider

Dislikes
very hot curry's
Hi floridagal,sorry dont know your name. Sounds like your having a bit of trouble with being blessed with type 2 diabetes. Try not to worry to much and will all fall into place very soon.Ive had type for about 18/20years and til recently I had a weight of 28 and half stones and that was recorded about 18 months ago.my sugar readings were very high and I was taken high doses of insulin.three times a day 25units of nova rapid and late at night I had 40units of lavamere which was an overnight one.after a lot of work im now my weight is 19 stone which for me is great and mno longer take any medication for my diabetes so there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.just about to have my hip replaced at the end of feb and then hope to lose about another 2/3 stone.its been a long haul but worth aevery minute.I never thought that I would get this far but I have one.You got look at being possitive at it and will stop you feeling so down.I know its not easy but you will overcome that awful feeling.my sugars are normally round 4.5 to5.4 and they stay around that, My day always start with a bowl of porridge and im sure thats what helped me. good luck.Regards Dave

floridagal

Thanks Dave what a tremendous weight loss I am envious I need to lose about eight stone :( . You must be feeling good now..must admit I actually feel better in myself already..my eye sight is so much better its like having lazer eye surgery !
I wish you well with the hip replacement (used to work in orthopaedics as a nurse so if you need any info just ask).

It will be a long haul for me too you have done it and didnt think you could so hopefully I will get there to. Thanks for your advice.