Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
How much over
I'm at the beginning of my journey. Attempting to stop my pre diabetes changing into a diabetes diagnosis. Diet being the key, I am really struggling to find something that will lower my blood sugar level and shed some of this tummy weight. I've cut right down on carbs and excluded wheat (as I'm intolerant) and am now trying slim fast. Good news is that I've already lowered my blood sugars back to a normal range but 8 weeks in, overall I've put on 3lbs! Very frustrating! We are all individuals and need to find what's right for us, I'm still searching and still hungry an hour after eating. Good news is I'm being interviewed for a trial with SYNEXUS on the 31st so fingers crossed I'll be accepted on to the trial (to reverse pre diabetes and prevent type 2 by diet & exercise trial) and get some help. I'm also crippled with osteoarthritis in my spine and one hip and fibromyalgia so finding a way to exercise is going to be interesting since I can't even wash up or prepare food without much pain. Still, I live in hope - to find what will work for me as an individual. I'm very interested in Michael Mosleys 8 week blood sugar diet though and wonder if anyone else has any experience of that.

How much are you overweight are you ?

Peridot67

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm 17stone 7lb..
so, about 6 stone overweight... I also eat a pretty healthy diet but the last couple of years has seen me pile weight on due to inactivity I think, had to stop working 3yrs ago due to fibromyalgia and chronic back pain - struggled with my weight for over 20yrs (since having children) never eat fried food or takeaways, eat wholefoods, cant tolerate processed food (causes IBS symptoms) - I now realise that in cutting out the fat, Ive probably made myself fat! If I had the money, Id go for liposuction!

Reactions: flexi06

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
slim fast
No idea how many carbs are in slimfast but I'm hazarding a guess that you'd be far better off eating some real food.
You need fat to fill you up and keep you satiated. Starving yourself won't really help in the long term although the short term results may look good.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think "cure" is an appropriate description if someone has gone from being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes to having normal (below prediabetic) blood glucose levels without ongoing meds. Being cured of some medical condition does not mean or even imply that the medical condition couldn't return at some time in the future. I'm sure someone could come with an example of a medical condition that can be permanently cured with no chance of ever returning, but I can't think of one off hand.
Testicular cancer, maybe?

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It all seems to be down to semantics. We will all have different ideas of what a cure or reversal or remission actually means.

For me, personally, if I could eat carbs regularly, anywhere between 100gms and the recommended 225-325 gms, I'd be happier. Then, so long as my pancreas was still healthy (presently producing normal amounts of insulin but no idea of beta cell mass which is just as important) and my insulin resistance was 1 (rather than it's present 1.7 - 2.4, it keeps changing), then I would say Eureka! I'm cured. Realistically, it's not going to happen, but diet and exercise will keep things under fairly good control, most of the time.
Brilliant results! Can I ask how I could measure my IR. I didn't know it was possible. You learn something every day!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Can I ask how I could measure my IR.

I just give some blood to the people at Genova Diagnostics. The number to aim for is 1. If you google "how to measure insulin resistance" there's a lot of info on different tests for insulin resistance.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant results! Can I ask how I could measure my IR. I didn't know it was possible. You learn something every day!
Medichecks will also do the test.. no I don't work for them! You just need to get a blood draw somewhere.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as GP surgeries are concerned, when the GP decides to remove someone from the diabetes register they have a choice of 2 codes they can enter on the computer system. One is "diabetes resolved", the other is "diabetes in remission". The "resolved" one is intended for cases where the original reason for the diabetes has gone away - such as medication induced diabetes where the medication is no longer taken. (steroids etc). The "remission" code is for everyone else. There is no laid down criteria for when a GP can do this. My own GP seems to think consistent HbA1cs (no meds) under 48 is sufficient.

P

pollensa

Hi Everyone

It is possible to reverse type 2 diabetes by changing ones diet to a Whole Food plant based diet with no added fat or sugar.

Here are some links to give you information.

Dr Michael Gregor was in London this April and gave a talk to the college of Naturopathic medicine. He discusses diabetes around 40 minutes, but the whole talk is very interesting

A lady who reverses her diabetes https://dub128.mail.live.com/?tid=cmMhLsDOAo5hGvhAAjfeRhHA2&fid=flinbox

Good websites with lots of information
http://nutritionstudies.org/
http://www.forksoverknives.com/
https://www.drmcdougall.com/
http://nutritionfacts.org/

This way of eating will also lower blood pressure, cholesterol and reverse heart disease.

Sue

I cannot comment on this particular question, however, I am in a position comment on my own success experience by changing diet lifestyle, re insulin issues /Diabetes 2 to a degree as hereunder mentioned

• From day one diagnosed not eaten potato, pasta, rice or bread, substituting these i.e. pumpkin instead of potato, grate cauliflour for rice, make keto mediterranean flat bread with coconut flour and psyillum husks no carb, and home keto seed crackers, for pasta, spiralize zuchinni/courgette, all delicious substitutes I might add.
  • Eat low carb, although some carbs, i.e. 20 to 50 a day, this does not include potatoes, rice, pasta bread, do not eat root veggies, and no fruit, the latter, with exception, half strawberry cut into a natural greek yogurt say once a month, or 1 slice of pear, or 1/4 granny smith apple, again once a month, simply for the fact, I feel the body does need some fruit for regulating gut purposes, may be wrong but take the change to eat small amount, although appreciating, one should not eat any fruit if possible due to fructose, I do not get spikes with fruits, for this, I indulge once a month with very small portions
  • Intermittent fast three days a week, 2 days no breakfast, only lunch /dinner, one day no breakie, lunch only dinner evening.
Result, reversed lowered levels finger real blood testing from high normal to normal normal normal over 1 year, and A1C doctor has registered non diabetic range it ranges 5 to 5.3. to 5.5% consistently following the above dietary life changes.

hope the within dietary changes indicates, motivates, a success experience of reversing levels numbers Diabetes 2 speaks volumes, that simple change of diet, lifestyle exercising more and intermittent fasting, has worked wonders for my insulin issues, to a now 100% non diabetic range registered on medical records, at no time have I taken any metformin or medications whatsoever, appreciate some people may require this depends on individuals, personal choice and decision making, I choose, pragmatic stance based on knowledge to hand gained from personal research put the picture overall together, followed, own instincts accordingly, basically I challenged conventional wisdom/methods, my results todate, normal non diabetic range.

This choice may not prove possible for some, this is own experience re dietary changes, after all as I understand, please anyone inform if not the case??? Diabetes 2 is purely a dietary problem, hence dietary changes would seem the most logic changes first, accordingly to solution the problem?

Basically, Took charge of own body, i.e. put less sugar in, burnt off remaining sugars with exercise, did intermittent fasting in order, on top, in order to focus target the insulin issues as I understand i.e.the CAUSE excess insulin resistance, instead of focusing on sugars, which is merely a symptom of the cause.

Again, may not work for every one as it all depends on individual circumstances overall, I took my situation into my own hands,took the courage to say no to medications, although respecting my Doctor recommendations, decided option choice of change of lifestyle first and foremost, took the courage to challenge conventional methods and currently managing my own situation, todate.

This is a dietary change success story which may may not assist in someway, regards decision making or motivation in some way?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I cannot comment on this particular question, however, I am in a position comment on my own success experience by changing diet lifestyle, re insulin issues /Diabetes 2 to a degree as hereunder mentioned

• From day one diagnosed not eaten potato, pasta, rice or bread, substituting these i.e. pumpkin instead of potato, grate cauliflour for rice, make keto mediterranean flat bread with coconut flour and psyillum husks no carb, and home keto seed crackers, for pasta, spiralize zuchinni/courgette, all delicious substitutes I might add.
  • Eat low carb, although some carbs, i.e. 20 to 50 a day, this does not include potatoes, rice, pasta bread, do not eat root veggies, and no fruit, the latter, with exception, half strawberry cut into a natural greek yogurt say once a month, or 1 slice of pear, or 1/4 granny smith apple, again once a month, simply for the fact, I feel the body does need some fruit for regulating gut purposes, may be wrong but take the change to eat small amount, although appreciating, one should not eat any fruit if possible due to fructose, I do not get spikes with fruits, for this, I indulge once a month with very small portions
  • Intermittent fast three days a week, 2 days no breakfast, only lunch /dinner, one day no breakie, lunch only dinner evening.
Result, reversed lowered levels finger real blood testing from high normal to normal normal normal over 1 year, and A1C doctor has registered non diabetic range it ranges 5 to 5.3. to 5.5% consistently following the above dietary life changes.

hope the within dietary changes indicates, motivates, a success experience of reversing levels numbers Diabetes 2 speaks volumes, that simple change of diet, lifestyle exercising more and intermittent fasting, has worked wonders for my insulin issues, to a now 100% non diabetic range registered on medical records, at no time have I taken any metformin or medications whatsoever, appreciate some people may require this depends on individuals, personal choice and decision making, I choose, pragmatic stance based on knowledge to hand gained from personal research put the picture overall together, followed, own instincts accordingly, basically I challenged conventional wisdom/methods, my results todate, normal non diabetic range.

This choice may not prove possible for some, this is own experience re dietary changes, after all as I understand, please anyone inform if not the case??? Diabetes 2 is purely a dietary problem, hence dietary changes would seem the most logic changes first, accordingly to solution the problem?

Basically, Took charge of own body, i.e. put less sugar in, burnt off remaining sugars with exercise, did intermittent fasting in order, on top, in order to focus target the insulin issues as I understand i.e.the CAUSE excess insulin resistance, instead of focusing on sugars, which is merely a symptom of the cause.

Again, may not work for every one as it all depends on individual circumstances overall, I took my situation into my own hands,took the courage to say no to medications, although respecting my Doctor recommendations, decided option choice of change of lifestyle first and foremost, took the courage to challenge conventional methods and currently managing my own situation, todate.

This is a dietary change success story which may may not assist in someway, regards decision making or motivation in some way?
But it is your own experience that you are sharing, and that is important. I note from the text you had quoted in your response that there was no personal element in those statements, nor from what I remember of that conversation was there any attempt to provide any substance to those claims in the following discussion. Thank you for sharing your own journey here. I consider your response to be more valuable than the poster whom you quoted.

Peridot67

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No idea how many carbs are in slimfast but I'm hazarding a guess that you'd be far better off eating some real food.
You need fat to fill you up and keep you satiated. Starving yourself won't really help in the long term although the short term results may look good.
I opted for slim fast in the short term as I can rarely get out to shop for myself plus I'm struggling to understand the numerous diets out there... slim fast takes the thinking out of it short term for me, I know it's not ideal but having cut out carbs, wheat and sugar, over the past 8 weeks my weight has gone up! I've put ON just over a stone in 8 weeks. I've only been using slim fast for 4 days so it's far too early to see any results. I can't do any fasting yet as if I go longer than 3hrs without eating I become so hungry I feel sick and get a headache. I've tested my blood sugars when this happens and they're no lower than 5. I'm a mess.... I'm using lactose free milk in the shakes to reduce lactose as I'm lactose intolerant and the shakes contain milk powder.. they contain 38g carb, of which sugars 20.9. Seems high but my lowered blood glucose scores tell me they're ok. Can I repeat? I'm a mess. It's too painful for me to stand to prepare food & shopping is a nightmare... also my BMI is 42! I need to lose 8 stone, not 6 as I previously thought. GP is about as much use as a chocolate radiator!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Peridot67
I feel for you. You are probably on a lower carb than usual diet even using the slimfasts but I fear you may get into that devil/deep blue sea spot where you are having too many carbs to get the benefit of really low carb. Also I have serious doubts about calorie restriction being effective but as you say you must try it. I'd give it a few weeks and see how you go. Providing you are in a 5-8 range you won't be doing yourself much, if any, harm so give t a while and see how you get on. If it doesn't work then we can have a think about some different strategies.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
so, about 6 stone overweight... I also eat a pretty healthy diet but the last couple of years has seen me pile weight on due to inactivity I think, had to stop working 3yrs ago due to fibromyalgia and chronic back pain - struggled with my weight for over 20yrs (since having children) never eat fried food or takeaways, eat wholefoods, cant tolerate processed food (causes IBS symptoms) - I now realise that in cutting out the fat, Ive probably made myself fat! If I had the money, Id go for liposuction!

You're probably better off starting a thread of your own for this rather than having it buried in 17 pages of 'stuff'. There is much you can do.
Glenn

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Testicular cancer, maybe?
Only if you end up getting both removed. Not sure that would count as a cure, since you'd lose some function (i.e. having babies).

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only if you end up getting both removed. Not sure that would count as a cure, since you'd lose some function (i.e. having babies).
Firstly, I wouldn't be having babies anyway, and causing babies can come from the fridge nowadays.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Having read through most of this discussion it seems to me that I am obviously a bear of very, very little whit. My simple mind has it that if I was a smoker or drinker and had been told damage had been done to my health I really ought to change my lifestyle and do it pronto.
I would not give a rats whatsit if you called it remission or whinged that going back to doing exactly what I used to do would produce the same results. The key is living in a way that produces the results you want. In my case that is being able to live life as I want with the bonus side effects of a whole host of good bio markers. The red herring of what happens if I eat what other people eat is just silly. I have no desire to eat, drink, dress etc like lots of other people because it wouldn't make me happy.