Reversing Type 2 diabetes

Tannith

BANNED
You describe my OH quite succinctly here. But since I do the hunter gathering and catering in our house, she has been following an LC diet for some time now, although the above behaviour persists (seconds, thirds, scraping the bottom of the pan etc, and ikky cream with added double cream and sprinkles etc.) BUT LCHF has won out in the end. Her weight as certified by the GP has dropped steadily from 20 stone to 14 stone and she hardly notices any deprivation. So it worked for her and she is not diabetic. She would certainly not be able to sustain a calorie restricted diet though.
My soluti0n to ice cream since Newcastle has been to make custard sometimes. Since I make it myself I can use sweetener instead of sugar and I thicken with eggs and just a small spoonful of cornflour to stop them curdling. It has more or less the same ingredients as ice cream (posh custard = posh ice cream; everyday custard = everyday ice cream) except that it isn't frozen, so it tastes similar but I cn make it with less sugar carbs and calories. It elimintes the danger of my getting my ice cream addiction back.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Vish1982

I cannot comment on this particular question, however, I am in a position comment on my own success experience by changing diet lifestyle, re insulin issues /Diabetes 2 to a degree as hereunder mentioned

• From day one diagnosed not eaten potato, pasta, rice or bread, substituting these i.e. pumpkin instead of potato, grate cauliflour for rice, make keto mediterranean flat bread with coconut flour and psyillum husks no carb, and home keto seed crackers, for pasta, spiralize zuchinni/courgette, all delicious substitutes I might add.
  • Eat low carb, although some carbs, i.e. 20 to 50 a day, this does not include potatoes, rice, pasta bread, do not eat root veggies, and no fruit, the latter, with exception, half strawberry cut into a natural greek yogurt say once a month, or 1 slice of pear, or 1/4 granny smith apple, again once a month, simply for the fact, I feel the body does need some fruit for regulating gut purposes, may be wrong but take the change to eat small amount, although appreciating, one should not eat any fruit if possible due to fructose, I do not get spikes with fruits, for this, I indulge once a month with very small portions
  • Intermittent fast three days a week, 2 days no breakfast, only lunch /dinner, one day no breakie, lunch only dinner evening.
Result, reversed lowered levels finger real blood testing from high normal to normal normal normal over 1 year, and A1C doctor has registered non diabetic range it ranges 5 to 5.3. to 5.5% consistently following the above dietary life changes.

hope the within dietary changes indicates, motivates, a success experience of reversing levels numbers Diabetes 2 speaks volumes, that simple change of diet, lifestyle exercising more and intermittent fasting, has worked wonders for my insulin issues, to a now 100% non diabetic range registered on medical records, at no time have I taken any metformin or medications whatsoever, appreciate some people may require this depends on individuals, personal choice and decision making, I choose, pragmatic stance based on knowledge to hand gained from personal research put the picture overall together, followed, own instincts accordingly, basically I challenged conventional wisdom/methods, my results todate, normal non diabetic range.

This choice may not prove possible for some, this is own experience re dietary changes, after all as I understand, please anyone inform if not the case??? Diabetes 2 is purely a dietary problem, hence dietary changes would seem the most logic changes first, accordingly to solution the problem?

Basically, Took charge of own body, i.e. put less sugar in, burnt off remaining sugars with exercise, did intermittent fasting in order, on top, in order to focus target the insulin issues as I understand i.e.the CAUSE excess insulin resistance, instead of focusing on sugars, which is merely a symptom of the cause.

Again, may not work for every one as it all depends on individual circumstances overall, I took my situation into my own hands,took the courage to say no to medications, although respecting my Doctor recommendations, decided option choice of change of lifestyle first and foremost, took the courage to challenge conventional methods and currently managing my own situation, todate.

This is a dietary change success story which may may not assist in someway, regards decision making or motivation in some way?

Vish1982

Hi. I’m new to this website and also I’ve only just been told I have diabetes. Appt at docs was a bit rushed and told me my level is 58 and that I need to be between 42-47. What are my changes of eating healthy and reversing this? Is there such a thing as reversing and getting rid of it? Also what foods shall I totally avoid - potatoes rice and pasta? Thanks in advance

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I’m new to this website and also I’ve only just been told I have diabetes. Appt at docs was a bit rushed and told me my level is 58 and that I need to be between 42-47. What are my changes of eating healthy and reversing this? Is there such a thing as reversing and getting rid of it? Also what foods shall I totally avoid - potatoes rice and pasta? Thanks in advance

Hi Vish and welcome,

You would be better starting your own thread to ask these questions, otherwise your post may get lost in this long thread. If you start your own thread, give some information, and ask your questions, lots of people will come along and respond to you. :)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
You should read this thread starting with page 1 to get some opinions on type 2 diabetes reversal.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
THank you so much. Wasn’t sure how to actually post a new thread :( sorry for being dumb x

Nothing dumb about it. None of us knew how to start a new thread when we first arrived!

Go to the main page

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/

and pick the section you want to post in.
You will see a green bar in the top right corner that says "post new thread". Click on that, and away you go.

Tannith

BANNED
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press/articles/archive/2017/09/type2diabetesisreversible/
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/36/4/1047

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/03/160322080542.htm:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes, it seems so. I get bored with people claiming that they have found a CURE for T2D, just because a diet plan they followed now allows them to eat more of the food they like. We are now seeing some of these coming back onto the Forum to admit that they have found that prolonged exposure to their old diet has triggered weight gain, and high bgl again, and that it is not the permanent cure they once championed.

This makes sense since the evidence is starting to show a link between the old lifestyles causing obesity and metabolic syndrome (highly suspected,but not yet proven) and so it would seem that although a lifestyle change can be used to get bgl back to 'normal' levels, it is nonetheless something that does need to be sustained for life so is a strong method of control, but not yet a cure as currently defined. I have experienced this myself, in that my changes to lifestyle did indeed allow me to drop most of my meds, and be officially declared Normal by my GP. But I can easily demonstrate that whilst I am certainly more carb tolerant, a single chinese takeaway will blow my bgl into the stratosphere again. So I am not cured or even reversed, but I can control quite easily by diet.

I am happy with that. At least I now have a choice in the matter.
Totally agree @onnecar with @Oldvatr. Loads of people readd weight or slip back into a 'normal' high carb diet due to social pressures.
A big permanent change has to be made and maintained, for life (minus odd falling of the low carb wagon moments).
A commitment to your future health.
I'm awaiting bariatric surgery to reset my digestive system and a great support to changing eating habits... for life. I see mine as a rebirth and myself weaning my new stomach like a new babies. A new digestive system from scratch.
A big commitment but only when you are ready.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Totally agree @onnecar with @Oldvatr. Loads of people readd weight or slip back into a 'normal' high carb diet due to social pressures.
A big permanent change has to be made and maintained, for life (minus odd falling of the low carb wagon moments).
A commitment to your future health.
I'm awaiting bariatric surgery to reset my digestive system and a great support to changing eating habits... for life. I see mine as a rebirth and myself weaning my new stomach like a new babies. A new digestive system from scratch.
A big commitment but only when you are ready.

How did you reach the decision to go for that operation @ickihun

Last edited:

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Oh dear, not good positive thinking, thinks me, perhaps its time you invest in a copy or read Dr. Jason Fujng The Diabetes Code prevent and reverse type 2 diabetes naturally, or get a copy of Dr David Cavan reverse diabetes, both excellent books.

Dr. Fungs book is both medically explained, along with simple explanations, that put it all into simplicity perspective, he is a neuthrologist from Canada and is highly experienced in diabetes with his own clinic in Canada. Above all the message is for "positive" hope to all out here who may be pre or diabetic, its well worth reading, enjoy

No thanks. If you think that the frame of mind which has helped me combat inherited kidney disease followed by a transplant and ongoing complications....and successfully manage the Type 2 diabetes I then got from the drugs to fight rejection of the organ...purely through hard effort and understanding of my own system and the condition...and which helped me achieve two strong academic degrees at difficult patches of my life...is "not good positive thinking" - you are perhaps a little less than correct. You are more than welcome to think positively about certain books...but if you expect me to be convinced that actual reversal based on such material - you are thinking a little too positively. I am fine thanks.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
No thanks. If you think that the frame of mind which has helped me combat inherited kidney disease followed by a transplant and ongoing complications....and successfully manage the Type 2 diabetes I then got from the drugs to fight rejection of the organ...purely through hard effort and understanding of my own system and the condition...and which helped me achieve two strong academic degrees at difficult patches of my life...is "not good positive thinking" - you are perhaps a little less than correct. You are more than welcome to think positively about certain books...but if you expect me to be convinced that actual reversal based on such material - you are thinking a little too positively. I am fine thanks.

It would seem that I'm not on my own with the 'reversed' descriptor. It should be spelled out that only the symptoms are reversed and not the underlying condition. Start tucking into those spuds and ice cream and that reversal will simply march back over the hill where it came from. It is not axiomatic and should be made clear, especially to newly diagnosed members who otherwise may be misled.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would seem that I'm not on my own with the 'reversed' descriptor. It should be spelled out that only the symptoms are reversed and not the underlying condition. Start tucking into those spuds and ice cream and that reversal will simply march back over the hill where it came from. It is not axiomatic and should be made clear, especially to newly diagnosed members who otherwise may be misled.

It is all a matter of the degree of reversal...some of us may never reverse it to the point where we can eat the recommended "normal" 250g carbs a day...but may happily stay medication free for decades with less carbs...

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
It is all a matter of the degree of reversal...some of us may never reverse it to the point where we can eat the recommended "normal" 250g carbs a day...but may happily stay medication free for decades with less carbs...
It's a free country so you can call it what you want. I don't agree with it though for reasons stated. It does not depend on any degree of anything nor the administration of medication. The fact remains that T2s unless there is a medical miracle can only manage their symptoms. I do this myself. However, despite blood sugar levels of a non diabetic person I will always still be a T2 diabetic. Saying that my T2 is reversed is simply not true. Saying that my symptoms are reversed is true. The difference may be subtle or even pedantic but the omission of that one word carries a message that is easily misinterpreted by anyone just coming on board. Have plate of Krispy Kreme doughnuts, a big bowl of fried rice and a pizza washed down with a coke for good measure then tell me how well the reversal is going.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
It's a free country so you can call it what you want. I don't agree with it though for reasons stated. It does not depend on any degree of anything nor the administration of medication. The fact remains that T2s unless there is a medical miracle can only manage their symptoms. I do this myself. However, despite blood sugar levels of a non diabetic person I will always still be a T2 diabetic. Saying that my T2 is reversed is simply not true. Saying that my symptoms are reversed is true. The difference may be subtle or even pedantic but the omission of that one word carries a message that is easily misinterpreted by anyone just coming on board. Have plate of Krispy Kreme doughnuts, a big bowl of fried rice and a pizza washed down with a coke for good measure then tell me how well the reversal is going.

It’s going very well.

Reactions: AloeSvea

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reversal is not such a controversial concept that it must only be uni-directional. Reversal does not imply cure...

I know how to reverse my car...I know how move it forward or leave it where it is...

If crazy amount of carbs results in glucotoxicity, then simply reduce it to a suitable level that does not result in glucotoxicity.

Given that knowledge, some simply prefer to stay away from carbs because it is too easy to be addicted to it again and over eat carbs...

Reactions: rab5 and NoCrbs4Me

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Reversal is not such a controversial concept that it must only be uni-directional. Reversal does not imply cure...

I know how to reverse my car...I know how move it forward or leave it where it is...

If crazy amount of carbs results in glucotoxicity, then simply reduce it to a suitable level that does not result in glucotoxicity.

Given that knowledge, some simply prefer to stay away from carbs because it is too easy to be addicted to it again and over eat carbs...
@kokhongw
Are you a T2 diabetic ?

Peridot67

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would think being in Remission is a more accurate term....

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would think being in Remission is a more accurate term....

It certainly is...but for too long...the mainstream narrative has been that T2D is progressive and irreversible except thru bariatric surgery. The term reversing diabetes is likely to be intentionally provocative to challenge current misinformation.

For example...

Virta Health
https://www.virtahealth.com/reversediabetes

Diet Doctor
https://www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes

Dr Jason Fung
https://idmprogram.com/reverse-type-2-diabetes-the-quick-start-guide/

They are all medical professionals who are familiar with the term....remission.

Reactions: Guzzler

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
They may be expert medical practitioners but that does not guarantee any more expertise in the etymology of the English language. I completely agree with you that the attitude of mainstream agencies as you highlight is pervasive and puts them in a position of power. However, the usage of terms that are ambiguous does not help the cause of the challengers and re-educators.

I have no proof but I suspect the guidelines that have been proffered by these agencies in cahoots with medical associations are the result of underfunding and a lack of education. Call it "taking the easy way out" for a short term fix if you wish.