1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Share Your Progress!

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Testimonials' started by Administrator, Dec 18, 2012.

1. SueCumbria

SueCumbria Type 2 · Member

I was diagnosed on 1st May 2018, Hba1c was 51. After discarding most of what my DN 'advised' me to do at my first appointment, "Just cut down a bit but still have a few treats!" and reading up massively on the the condition and the best way forward for me I decided what I should do. I am life-style controlling (not just 'diet'). I bought my own blood sugar testing meter and strips (which my DN said she didn't recommend) and take fasting level in the morning and test before and then one and two hours after food . I became educated as to which foods affected my levels to which degree and was then able to adjust the amounts or frequency with which I would have those foods or even rule them out completely if need be. After over 6 months of eating low carbs/no sugar/low fat and getting and staying active (started and completed the 'Couch to 5K' programme, jog for at least 30 minutes most mornings, exercise bike etc.), I also lost 3 stones so far. I just received news through the post that my Hba1c on 23rd November was 33 which I am thrilled with! I just have to keep it that way now :)

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Brilliant news... well done you!
    Edit to add I think you deserve your own post in the success stories thread!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SueCumbria

Thank you! :happy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. ziggy_w

ziggy_w Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Brilliant achievement, @SueCumbria -- and may I say, well deserved.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@SueCumbria congratulation amazing turn around in six months well done. As you say now the work continues keeping it that way! Having seen and experienced the rewards of changing things around though no doubt you are keen to keep there. Celebrations are in order

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

hi all.
    just spotted this.

thought i'd add my few pence worth so i could reflect at later date and see how far i've got.

no issue diabetes wise, but i was at docs for back/chest pains early august 2018
    all was good but bloods came back abnormal.hba1c 56
    finally called type 2 early october..57 after a few weeks of cutting down EVERYTHING....AAGHHH :arghh::arghh:!!

Came on here, and once i got my head around a few of the wonderful 'newbies' posts,
    it started to look a lot better then the life sentence it had felt like in those first few days and weeks.

Weight then 16 stone 8lbs..(+ probably )
    Now 14 st 9lbs
    so i believe i am headed in right direction, ( thanks to the guidance and advice i've received and seen on here.)

eye test, foot check, and heart monitoring all going on in dec.
    so a busy time, god willing it's all good news.

And thanks to you all, Food starting to look a lot more appealing again after seeing it as the anti-christ.
    so roll on Chrimbo...:D

So cheers all, long may your good works continue.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. SueCumbria

Thank you, I'm still pinching myself to be honest. I knew my BS levels were generally good/low but had no idea I had got them So under control until I got the results. Now the real work starts, keeping them there! :)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SueCumbria

Thank you, I am embracing my new lifestyle and loving it to be honest, especially being more active and feeling so much better in myself. It's ongoing and I still have some weight to lose too. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. CRISP 2

CRISP 2 I reversed my Type 2 · Newbie

Hi there in June this year I made a trip to my doctors with an illness.When blood tests came back I was told that I had high colestorol and was pre diabetic.My HbA1c was 43 I had no idea but decided to change my eating habits.I threw all the biscuits,cake and sweets out of the cupboards and gave them away.I now eat sugar free biscuits now and again and in moderation of two no more.I also check the labels on food packaging and try to keep at as low a sugar level as I can.I also went low carb too and make sure I keep carbs to a minimum amount each meal and load my plate with plenty veg or salad.Bread is quite high in carbs so I buy low carb bread from my supermarket,they are small loaves but for the amount of.bread I eat it last me quite a few weeks.It helps to eat open sandwiches and Ryvitas are good with cheese and quite filling.I eat fresh fruits and natural yogurt which if I do want it a bit sweeter I add a little artificial sweetener.Most fruit makes it sweet enough.Shop bought yogurts can have a lot of hidden sugars.Since June just by changing a few things in my diet I have lost just over half a stone and a visit to my doctors last week am now 38 on my HbA1c and have reversed my prediabetes.This doesn't mean that I am now going to revert back to my old way of eating.I am enjoying what I eat now and am continuing to eat healthier.Porridge is good for breakfasts also Sugar free muesli.I find they keep you fuller for longer because of high fiber.

• Like Like x 2
  10. JAT1

JAT1 · Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed type 1 end of July 2018 with an hba1c of 17% and BG at 35. Now, thanks to insulin and lowering carbs drastically my hba1c is 4.5% and by BGs are in the 4.0 to 8.0 range. I couldn't have done it without the help of this forum.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Freckledjet

Freckledjet Type 2 · Member

Hi All,
    Diagnosed in April with T2.
    HBA1C 99. (64)
    GLUCOSE 24 (7.7)
    CHOLESTEROL 7.3 (3.8)
    TRIGLYCERIDE 13.9 (2)
    WEIGHT. 13st10 (12st4)
    Bracketed figures are my latest in October which I am very pleased with.
    Everything going in the right direction and downwards.
    Although my Consultant raised my Metformin by 500mg to 2000mg a day from 1500mg and my Simvastatin also from 20mg to 40mg. I'll wait for the next test on these.
    So wishing everyone here a very merry Christmas and an even better New Year.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  12. Colin of Kent

Colin of Kent Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello all

I just wanted to thank you all for your advice, support and help. This forum has been such a fantastic resource for me over the last year.

I've had Type 1 for almost 29 years now. About 14 years ago I attended a presentation by a well-respected endocrinologist (aimed at clinicians). The opening remarks went along the lines of, 'Type 1 diabetes is worse than cancer, because at least with some cancers, there is some hope of recovery.' That may seem gloomy, but from an objective, dispassionate point of view, I think it's probably about right. Or at least, that's what I used to think.

To me, the term 'glycaemic control' seemed almost like an oxymoron. BGs would fluctuate daily between 3's and high teens or more, with hypos at least daily. I've had background retinopathy for several years now. About a year ago, I decided enough is enough, so I came here. This led me to Dr Bernstein, then to the ketogenic diet.

Historically, my HbA1c has usually been mid- to low-60s. With strict carb-counting I got it down to 57 mmol/mol. The I started on keto in March, and within six months got it down to 51 mmol/mol. Yesterday, I found out it has fallen further to 46 mmol/mol. It hasn't been this low since my honeymoon period.

Thank you all so much. The future looks so much brighter now!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Groundgripper

Groundgripper Type 2 · Member

Started out at 14 and a half stone in weight beginning of December when first mention made of my Blood Glucose levels by the Doctor, now down to 13 and a quarter stone, on low carb diet, even with Christmas in between, looking to get down to about 12 stone by end of spring, it feels like hard work some days, lowest BG 4.1 mmol at 4pm in the afternoon, though my average is now 5.9 mmol most days.
    trying real hard to shake this condition, with great help from this site, thank you.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook