Share Your Progress!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed on 1st May 2018, Hba1c was 51. After discarding most of what my DN 'advised' me to do at my first appointment, "Just cut down a bit but still have a few treats!" and reading up massively on the the condition and the best way forward for me I decided what I should do. I am life-style controlling (not just 'diet'). I bought my own blood sugar testing meter and strips (which my DN said she didn't recommend) and take fasting level in the morning and test before and then one and two hours after food . I became educated as to which foods affected my levels to which degree and was then able to adjust the amounts or frequency with which I would have those foods or even rule them out completely if need be. After over 6 months of eating low carbs/no sugar/low fat and getting and staying active (started and completed the 'Couch to 5K' programme, jog for at least 30 minutes most mornings, exercise bike etc.), I also lost 3 stones so far. I just received news through the post that my Hba1c on 23rd November was 33 which I am thrilled with! I just have to keep it that way now :)
Brilliant news... well done you!
Edit to add I think you deserve your own post in the success stories thread!

Reactions: Prem51

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@SueCumbria congratulation amazing turn around in six months well done. As you say now the work continues keeping it that way! Having seen and experienced the rewards of changing things around though no doubt you are keen to keep there. Celebrations are in order

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi all.
just spotted this.

thought i'd add my few pence worth so i could reflect at later date and see how far i've got.

no issue diabetes wise, but i was at docs for back/chest pains early august 2018
all was good but bloods came back abnormal.hba1c 56
finally called type 2 early october..57 after a few weeks of cutting down EVERYTHING....AAGHHH :arghh::arghh:!!

Came on here, and once i got my head around a few of the wonderful 'newbies' posts,
it started to look a lot better then the life sentence it had felt like in those first few days and weeks.

Weight then 16 stone 8lbs..(+ probably )
Now 14 st 9lbs
so i believe i am headed in right direction, ( thanks to the guidance and advice i've received and seen on here.)

eye test, foot check, and heart monitoring all going on in dec.
so a busy time, god willing it's all good news.

And thanks to you all, Food starting to look a lot more appealing again after seeing it as the anti-christ.
so roll on Chrimbo...:D

So cheers all, long may your good works continue.

SueCumbria

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
None really.
Brilliant achievement, @SueCumbria -- and may I say, well deserved.
Thank you, I'm still pinching myself to be honest. I knew my BS levels were generally good/low but had no idea I had got them So under control until I got the results. Now the real work starts, keeping them there! :)

SueCumbria

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
None really.
@SueCumbria congratulation amazing turn around in six months well done. As you say now the work continues keeping it that way! Having seen and experienced the rewards of changing things around though no doubt you are keen to keep there. Celebrations are in order
Thank you, I am embracing my new lifestyle and loving it to be honest, especially being more active and feeling so much better in myself. It's ongoing and I still have some weight to lose too. :)

Reactions: jjraak and Prem51

CRISP 2

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey everyone!

We're really curious to know how everyone's gotten on this year. Have you managed to lower your HbA1c? Maybe you've shed a few pounds and are feeling proud of yourself! Whatever you've managed this year, we want to know about it!
Hi there in June this year I made a trip to my doctors with an illness.When blood tests came back I was told that I had high colestorol and was pre diabetic.My HbA1c was 43 I had no idea but decided to change my eating habits.I threw all the biscuits,cake and sweets out of the cupboards and gave them away.I now eat sugar free biscuits now and again and in moderation of two no more.I also check the labels on food packaging and try to keep at as low a sugar level as I can.I also went low carb too and make sure I keep carbs to a minimum amount each meal and load my plate with plenty veg or salad.Bread is quite high in carbs so I buy low carb bread from my supermarket,they are small loaves but for the amount of.bread I eat it last me quite a few weeks.It helps to eat open sandwiches and Ryvitas are good with cheese and quite filling.I eat fresh fruits and natural yogurt which if I do want it a bit sweeter I add a little artificial sweetener.Most fruit makes it sweet enough.Shop bought yogurts can have a lot of hidden sugars.Since June just by changing a few things in my diet I have lost just over half a stone and a visit to my doctors last week am now 38 on my HbA1c and have reversed my prediabetes.This doesn't mean that I am now going to revert back to my old way of eating.I am enjoying what I eat now and am continuing to eat healthier.Porridge is good for breakfasts also Sugar free muesli.I find they keep you fuller for longer because of high fiber.

Reactions: jjraak and Prem51

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed type 1 end of July 2018 with an hba1c of 17% and BG at 35. Now, thanks to insulin and lowering carbs drastically my hba1c is 4.5% and by BGs are in the 4.0 to 8.0 range. I couldn't have done it without the help of this forum.

Freckledjet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,
Diagnosed in April with T2.
HBA1C 99. (64)
GLUCOSE 24 (7.7)
CHOLESTEROL 7.3 (3.8)
TRIGLYCERIDE 13.9 (2)
WEIGHT. 13st10 (12st4)
Bracketed figures are my latest in October which I am very pleased with.
Everything going in the right direction and downwards.
Although my Consultant raised my Metformin by 500mg to 2000mg a day from 1500mg and my Simvastatin also from 20mg to 40mg. I'll wait for the next test on these.
So wishing everyone here a very merry Christmas and an even better New Year.

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello all

I just wanted to thank you all for your advice, support and help. This forum has been such a fantastic resource for me over the last year.

I've had Type 1 for almost 29 years now. About 14 years ago I attended a presentation by a well-respected endocrinologist (aimed at clinicians). The opening remarks went along the lines of, 'Type 1 diabetes is worse than cancer, because at least with some cancers, there is some hope of recovery.' That may seem gloomy, but from an objective, dispassionate point of view, I think it's probably about right. Or at least, that's what I used to think.

To me, the term 'glycaemic control' seemed almost like an oxymoron. BGs would fluctuate daily between 3's and high teens or more, with hypos at least daily. I've had background retinopathy for several years now. About a year ago, I decided enough is enough, so I came here. This led me to Dr Bernstein, then to the ketogenic diet.

Historically, my HbA1c has usually been mid- to low-60s. With strict carb-counting I got it down to 57 mmol/mol. The I started on keto in March, and within six months got it down to 51 mmol/mol. Yesterday, I found out it has fallen further to 46 mmol/mol. It hasn't been this low since my honeymoon period.

Thank you all so much. The future looks so much brighter now!

Groundgripper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Busy towns and cities, heavy traffic, noisy people, rubbishy televison or radio shows, rap music.
Started out at 14 and a half stone in weight beginning of December when first mention made of my Blood Glucose levels by the Doctor, now down to 13 and a quarter stone, on low carb diet, even with Christmas in between, looking to get down to about 12 stone by end of spring, it feels like hard work some days, lowest BG 4.1 mmol at 4pm in the afternoon, though my average is now 5.9 mmol most days.
trying real hard to shake this condition, with great help from this site, thank you.

pr126

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
BG results:

39851156633_96ce72f754.jpg

Weight loss 5 Kg in 3 months, 5 more to go for normal BMI

Doing fine, I think.

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
Hey everyone!

We're really curious to know how everyone's gotten on this year. Have you managed to lower your HbA1c? Maybe you've shed a few pounds and are feeling proud of yourself! Whatever you've managed this year, we want to know about it!

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
I am a T2D prescribed 2 x 850 mg of Metformin for the diabetes and 2 x 300 mg per day for neuropathy of the feet and hands, diagnosed in 2013.. My annual HbA1c since December 2015 has been 34, 35, 38 and 38. on the blood test result below 42 is non-diabetic, 42-47 pre-diabetic and over 48 diabetic. T2D control range is noted as 48-59. On paper the drugs are keeping me within non-diabetic range, but the concern is the creeping annual increase, hence the attempt to reverse the T2D with IF. I test my blood sugar levels using a standard blood sugar monitor and weigh myself on the same machine first thing in the morning.

Started 23rd February 2019 with daily readings between 6 to 8 mmol/L, and weighing around 95-96 kilos. Dropped breakfast and substituted lunch with a predominantly kale,spinach, nut, cinnamon and turmeric juice, dinner as normal. 2nd week dropped lunch and moved the juice either close to or with dinner. Trying to reduce carbs at dinner and introducing more fish with in diet.

There has been a regular and often daily weight reduction and a further regular reduction in blood sugar levels. 3rd week added vitamins to and with the juice, fish oil, magnesium, B1 and B12, chromium, selenium and D. Also added spirulina. Weight loss and blood sugar levels reduction maintained at constant rate, cannot see a material difference with the additives.

2nd week, came off medication.

Current weight 89 kilos, i.e. lost 6-7 kilos in 4 weeks. Blood sugar levels between 5-6 and regularly finishing immediately before first meal at 5.3. Even saw readings between 4-5 for the first time ever. Neuropathy better than when on medication.

Anyone else fasting? How are you doing with your weight and T2D?

pr126

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glucose level is steady below 7, lost 7Kg in 4 months, still 2 Kg overweight according to BMI.
Doing a very low carb diet, less than 30 gr per day. since last September.
Fasting 16 hours daily, no snacks between meals.
Diluted apple cider vinegar with liquid stevia daily.
One vitamin B12 with my Glucophage SR.

I'll have my yearly Hba1c test next week. Looking forward to the results.

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
Glucose level is steady below 7, lost 7Kg in 4 months, still 2 Kg overweight according to BMI.
Doing a very low carb diet, less than 30 gr per day. since last September.
Fasting 16 hours daily, no snacks between meals.
Diluted apple cider vinegar with liquid stevia daily.
One vitamin B12 with my Glucophage SR.

I'll have my yearly Hba1c test next week. Looking forward to the results.
Share your results. Your regime is similar to mine. I took B12 to counteract the metformin. I don't count carb grams, I just have smaller portions of them. I have to wait until November for my annual test.

Reactions: set-in-stone

CockneySpice

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had gestational diabetes in pregnancy in 2016, and it’s left me with prediabetes. By eating low carb (I still have some carbs but try to limit them to less than 120g in a day), I’ve managed to just about resist a diagnosis of diabetes for two years. I’ve managed to lose 10kg in weight without really having to change too much. All I’ve done is restricted my carbohydrate intake (I was fairly active anyway).

I’ve had a difficult few months as I was admitted for emergency spinal surgery (another gift from pregnancy!), and it had quite an impact upon my eating and activity levels. I’m pretty much getting back on track now though and recovering well.

I don’t know if I’ll be fortunate enough to keep a diagnosis of diabetes at bay for another year, but I’m certainly going to try, and I’m very proud of what I’ve achieved over the past two years given the challenges thrown at me.

Reactions: Prem51 and Oldvatr

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
Congratulations on lowering your
I had gestational diabetes in pregnancy in 2016, and it’s left me with prediabetes. By eating low carb (I still have some carbs but try to limit them to less than 120g in a day), I’ve managed to just about resist a diagnosis of diabetes for two years. I’ve managed to lose 10kg in weight without really having to change too much. All I’ve done is restricted my carbohydrate intake (I was fairly active anyway).

I’ve had a difficult few months as I was admitted for emergency spinal surgery (another gift from pregnancy!), and it had quite an impact upon my eating and activity levels. I’m pretty much getting back on track now though and recovering well.

I don’t know if I’ll be fortunate enough to keep a diagnosis of diabetes at bay for another year, but I’m certainly going to try, and I’m very proud of what I’ve achieved over the past two years given the challenges thrown at me.
120g of carbs a day is a still high. You will find that merely restricting your carbs will not do much for you. If you eat regularly during the day, e.g. breakfast, mid-morning tea a biscuit or fruit or sweat,, lunch, a mid-afternoon tea with something with it and then dinner, etc., you are, even on a carb restricted diet over eating. Every time you eat your pancreas will release insulin and if you are already insulin resistant, this will exacerbate the problem. I don't know if you do, but you need to lose the snacks to start with. If you are snacking it is because you are having carbs in the morning. Sugar loves sugar and if you eat carbs in the morning your body will be demanding more before lunch. Switch to a plain wholefood breakfast, such as eggs, bacon, etc. Dump any cereals you have, no matter how healthy they purport to be. The non-carb breakfast will help to reduce cravings before lunch. Once your comfortable on a non-carb breakfast, cut it out completely. If you have a long gap between your evening meal and the following day's meal, such as lunch (e.g. about 10 or more hours), you will trigger your body into going into recovery mode, with your body eating away old dead cells and new cells being generated. If you can extend your time restricted eating to say 16 or more hours, then you trigger stem cell recovery. Stem cells are blank cells lying around your body, with your DNA coded within. Once triggered they will seek out defects in organs and create completely new cells for that defective organ. By restricting your eating window you also allow your body to purge itself of its sugar and start burning fat as a substitute energy source. Once your body re-learns to eat fat as opposed to sugar for energy, that is when you will really start to lose meaningful weight and start reversing any tenancy towards T2D.

CockneySpice

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on lowering your

120g of carbs a day is a still high. You will find that merely restricting your carbs will not do much for you. If you eat regularly during the day, e.g. breakfast, mid-morning tea a biscuit or fruit or sweat,, lunch, a mid-afternoon tea with something with it and then dinner, etc., you are, even on a carb restricted diet over eating. Every time you eat your pancreas will release insulin and if you are already insulin resistant, this will exacerbate the problem. I don't know if you do, but you need to lose the snacks to start with. If you are snacking it is because you are having carbs in the morning. Sugar loves sugar and if you eat carbs in the morning your body will be demanding more before lunch. Switch to a plain wholefood breakfast, such as eggs, bacon, etc. Dump any cereals you have, no matter how healthy they purport to be. The non-carb breakfast will help to reduce cravings before lunch. Once your comfortable on a non-carb breakfast, cut it out completely. If you have a long gap between your evening meal and the following day's meal, such as lunch (e.g. about 10 or more hours), you will trigger your body into going into recovery mode, with your body eating away old dead cells and new cells being generated. If you can extend your time restricted eating to say 16 or more hours, then you trigger stem cell recovery. Stem cells are blank cells lying around your body, with your DNA coded within. Once triggered they will seek out defects in organs and create completely new cells for that defective organ. By restricting your eating window you also allow your body to purge itself of its sugar and start burning fat as a substitute energy source. Once your body re-learns to eat fat as opposed to sugar for energy, that is when you will really start to lose meaningful weight and start reversing any tenancy towards T2D.

I only shared what I feel I’m doing well with because I had an email encouraging me to do so, and I wanted to let the team know I’ve really benefited from their resources. I probably won’t bother again. I’m well clued up on the science, around diabetes, carbs, and insulin thanks. I’m actually quite happy with what I’m doing, it’s working for me, and most importantly it feels like something I can maintain it over the long term. I’m happy with taking it slow and steady. I didn’t really want any further advice on my diet (you do seem to have got the wrong idea about how and what I eat, and what I struggle with), but thank you taking the time out of your day to reply.